Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

DeAndre Moore set for summer decision and has four schools on his short list
GREG BIGGINS

Spoiler

GREG BIGGINS

Los Alamitos (Calif.) athlete DeAndre Moore is planning a summer decision and has four schools standing out right now.

We haven’t seen too many players more impressive this off-season than Moore. He’s playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder, like he has something to prove after playing through various injuries this past season.

Not only did Moore play injured most of his junior year but he missed his entire sophomore season when football in Nevada (Moore was at Desert Pines HS in Las Vegas) was shut down due to Covid. So for those who have never seen what Moore can do, this off-season has been eye opening but not for him.

“Not many people know but I was never healthy as a junior,” Moore said. “I’m not making excuses but I had multiple injuries all year and never felt 100% like myself.

“I’m healthy now and feel great. I have my speed and explosiveness back and I feel like I’m definitely showing I’m one of the top players in the country.”

Moore is a talented two-way player but receiver is where he has shined this winter. He always had strong hands and body control and he’s now showing both short area burst and long speed.

He’s a superior route runner and has the ability to project as both a sure handed possession receiver as well as a deep threat and someone who can make explosive plays after the catch.

On the recruiting front, Moore is planning to make a summer decision, likely in May. He plans to take four official visits in June and said the four schools on his short list right now to receive those visits are Louisville, Oregon, Texas and USC.

He broke down what stands out about each program:

Louisville- “I visited Louisville back in January and loved it there. I loved the vibe and the overall family atmosphere. I mean every school always talks about the family atmosphere but at Louisville, you can see it and feel it.

“I love the coaching staff and have a special relationship with Pete Nochta. He’s a great guy and he told me some stories about things he went through and how everyone at Louisville all rallied around him. I haven’t locked in any visit dates yet but I’ll probably trip to Louisville June 17. That’s when all my Cali boys will be visiting and having them already committed definitely plays a big factor for me.”

Oregon- “I visited Oregon last summer and had a great trip. I have a great relationship with the coaching staff and have known Kenny Dillingham for as long as anyone. He offered me at Florida State when I was just an 8th grader so we go way back and he’s someone I’m very comfortable with.

“Junior Adams is one of the best WR coaches around and I really like coach Lanning and his style of coaching as well. Right when that staff came together, they got on me hard and are recruiting me heavily right now. I love the campus and the football facilities there as well as the connections you make after football.”

Texas- “I was just at Texas, that was my most recent visit and all I can say is that place is different. I’ve always liked and visited there last year before I committed to Oklahoma. They didn’t make my final five but that was more out of respect to OU since the two schools are such strong rivals. I’ve always had respect for the Texas program and even after I committed, I never did the ‘horns down’ sign because you never want to burn those bridges

“Coach Marion is an unbelievable WR coach and a great man. He’s so easy to relate with and he’s someone I feel I can talk to about anything. When I went in to his office, he was playing gospel music and I thought that was super cool since my faith is very important to me. I love the city of Austin, the food and the BBQ was unreal and then coach Sark (Sarkisian) is a great offensive mind so that’s why Texas is so high on my list.”

USC- “I’ll be at the USC Spring Game Saturday and always have a great time when I’m on campus. My connection with the USC coaches is very strong and I have the exact same feelings about SC as I did with Oklahoma when I committed there. Coach Riley and coach Simmons are my guys and a big reason why I committed to OU and now they’re at USC.

“I already had a lot of love for USC and they were one of my finalists when I first committed. I love it out here and love all the opportunity playing in a big media market like USC provides. It’s the best of both worlds for me in terms of having a great staff, a great offensive scheme, playing in a great area with great players around me.

8 minutes ago, Getafix said:

GREG BIGGINS

Hide contents

GREG BIGGINS

Los Alamitos (Calif.) athlete DeAndre Moore is planning a summer decision and has four schools standing out right now.

We haven’t seen too many players more impressive this off-season than Moore. He’s playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder, like he has something to prove after playing through various injuries this past season.

Not only did Moore play injured most of his junior year but he missed his entire sophomore season when football in Nevada (Moore was at Desert Pines HS in Las Vegas) was shut down due to Covid. So for those who have never seen what Moore can do, this off-season has been eye opening but not for him.

“Not many people know but I was never healthy as a junior,” Moore said. “I’m not making excuses but I had multiple injuries all year and never felt 100% like myself.

“I’m healthy now and feel great. I have my speed and explosiveness back and I feel like I’m definitely showing I’m one of the top players in the country.”

Moore is a talented two-way player but receiver is where he has shined this winter. He always had strong hands and body control and he’s now showing both short area burst and long speed.

He’s a superior route runner and has the ability to project as both a sure handed possession receiver as well as a deep threat and someone who can make explosive plays after the catch.

On the recruiting front, Moore is planning to make a summer decision, likely in May. He plans to take four official visits in June and said the four schools on his short list right now to receive those visits are Louisville, Oregon, Texas and USC.

He broke down what stands out about each program:

Louisville- “I visited Louisville back in January and loved it there. I loved the vibe and the overall family atmosphere. I mean every school always talks about the family atmosphere but at Louisville, you can see it and feel it.

“I love the coaching staff and have a special relationship with Pete Nochta. He’s a great guy and he told me some stories about things he went through and how everyone at Louisville all rallied around him. I haven’t locked in any visit dates yet but I’ll probably trip to Louisville June 17. That’s when all my Cali boys will be visiting and having them already committed definitely plays a big factor for me.”

Oregon- “I visited Oregon last summer and had a great trip. I have a great relationship with the coaching staff and have known Kenny Dillingham for as long as anyone. He offered me at Florida State when I was just an 8th grader so we go way back and he’s someone I’m very comfortable with.

“Junior Adams is one of the best WR coaches around and I really like coach Lanning and his style of coaching as well. Right when that staff came together, they got on me hard and are recruiting me heavily right now. I love the campus and the football facilities there as well as the connections you make after football.”

Texas- “I was just at Texas, that was my most recent visit and all I can say is that place is different. I’ve always liked and visited there last year before I committed to Oklahoma. They didn’t make my final five but that was more out of respect to OU since the two schools are such strong rivals. I’ve always had respect for the Texas program and even after I committed, I never did the ‘horns down’ sign because you never want to burn those bridges

“Coach Marion is an unbelievable WR coach and a great man. He’s so easy to relate with and he’s someone I feel I can talk to about anything. When I went in to his office, he was playing gospel music and I thought that was super cool since my faith is very important to me. I love the city of Austin, the food and the BBQ was unreal and then coach Sark (Sarkisian) is a great offensive mind so that’s why Texas is so high on my list.”

USC- “I’ll be at the USC Spring Game Saturday and always have a great time when I’m on campus. My connection with the USC coaches is very strong and I have the exact same feelings about SC as I did with Oklahoma when I committed there. Coach Riley and coach Simmons are my guys and a big reason why I committed to OU and now they’re at USC.

“I already had a lot of love for USC and they were one of my finalists when I first committed. I love it out here and love all the opportunity playing in a big media market like USC provides. It’s the best of both worlds for me in terms of having a great staff, a great offensive scheme, playing in a great area with great players around me.

That is a lot of words to say USC.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Yeah fuck track and fuck any other sports that football players partake in because you know, we don't wanna see their athleticism on display anywhere else. /s

On another note, wish wrestling was bigger in Texas. Great sport for the linemen. 

I love the annual "lineman X can dunk a basketball at 320 pounds!!". It's like clockwork. We've got a whole team full of dudes that block like pussies but are basically Michael Jordan.

Edited by tokamak
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I love the annual "lineman X can dunk a basketball at 320 pounds!!". It's like clockwork. We've got a whole team full of dudes that block like pussies but are basically Michael Jordan.

Makes for a good time at Gregory, though.

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why? Track and getting football players who excel in track is the best way to turn things around because it creates differences in teams that can’t be coached. It’s how Baylor built up as well as other guys. Multi sport athletes >

Oh I get why it matters for football I just don’t care. I was also hammered post Turnpike concert, so. 

6 minutes ago, tokamak said:

It's as if player development doesn't matter in this discussion. The coaches and the players themselves play no roles whatsoever.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Have I ever discussed the Mexican Pizza on this board? Don't remember doing so, but it's clear you know me, sir. I heard the news and ecstatic, sadly.

I think it was last off-season, during one of our patented 2-3 page detours through surly detritus.  You passionately extolled the virtues of TB Mexican Pizza.  

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why? Track and getting football players who excel in track is the best way to turn things around because it creates differences in teams that can’t be coached . It’s how Baylor built up as well as other guys. Multi sport athletes >

If it “can’t be coached”…

…then why does every track team FUCKING HAVE COACHES?!?!

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I think it was last off-season, during one of our patented 2-3 page detours through surly detritus.  You passionately extolled the virtues of TB Mexican Pizza.  

Huh. Well, don't remember it, but I was certainly annoyed when TB removed it and I'm certainly happy they're bringing it back, so there you go.

13 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

How can anybody be considering 12 colleges after more than about 2 hours of research?

I think he lives in a different world than you. He probably has 30 schools trying to recruit him right now and I am sure his phone/social media is blowing up non stop. 

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I think he lives in a different world than you. He probably has 30 schools trying to recruit him right now and I am sure his phone/social media is blowing up non stop. 

He's actually been flying pretty far underneath the radar up until now. I wonder if Texas has started recruiting him earnest?

2 hours ago, ATexanAbroad said:

Is this code for smoking pole through a glory hole in the ozarks or something?

Those were lyrics to a song by the turnpike troubadours buttttt your hypothesis is way fucking funnier. I’ll accept your line of thinking as fact and laugh every time I hear that song. Haha 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Has a Texas offer and pretty solid offer list for a LB from Georgia that's doesn't have a ranking.

His Hudl is pretty impressive. My favorite play is at 1:57. It's clear he's supposed to spy the QB and make sure he doesn't break contain. He does his assignment beautifully.

http://www.hudl.com/v/2Fi30A

• Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Has a Texas offer and pretty solid offer list for a LB from Georgia that's doesn't have a ranking.

You would think he would be higher profile looking at his HUDL and seeing that he goes to Grayson.