Buzzrock

Learn me on tortillas

9 hours ago, Hate said:

This is what I use.

779ab517aa1f65f08048f25ee92ca466.jpg

i have something close to this that i use as well.

22 hours ago, HouTex said:

This will be my 4th or 5th year in a row to make tamales for a few friends during the Christmas season. After the second year it’s gotten way easier. I cook the pork on a Thursday or Friday evening and then do 6 dozen a day on Saturday and Sunday. It takes me about 3 hours to do 6 dozen. I can do that before or after my golf game.

That sounds like one gross way to spend a weekend. 

21 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My wife loves to make a nostalgic enchilada recipe that her mother used to make.  Her white girl from Beaumont mother.  The enchiladas feature bland jack cheese and barely-seasoned ground meat as the core of the filling, with the addition of copious amounts of chopped ripe black olives that taste like a mix of nothing/dirt, rolled into flour tortillas, topped with a tiny can of Gephardt enchilada sauce, which is just enough to slightly moisten the top of the tortilla, leaving the rest dry AF.   I am confident that the recipe came from a 1977 issue of Good Housekeeping or some other bland white people magazine.  And she loves them.  She doesn't cook much, but when she does, 50% of the time, it's to make those.

I pour a bunch of salsa on top and eat them.  But goddamn.

I have had this recipe at two different homes.  Both white families.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.  I was hungry.  Damn, the taste of olives still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.    

That sounds like one gross way to spend a weekend. 

Playing golf and making tamales. That is a great weekend. It helps that they don’t suck.

2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

I have had this recipe at two different homes.  Both white families.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.  I was hungry.  Damn, the taste of olives still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.    

What I want to know is this: WHO IN THE FUCK ACTUALLY LIKES CANNED BLACK RIPE OLIVES?

They taste like a mix of nothing and dirt.  They add nothing.  I love all kinds of olives....but canned black ripe olives are a nothing.  They add nothing except a slight bit of mediocre to bad taste.  

On 11/4/2019 at 8:59 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

I guess it varies from region to region along the border. I grew up in the Weslaco area, so going to Nuevo Progreso/Aka Los Flores was pretty much a routine thing for us.  The only thing I saw stacked up in the  tortillerias on the main street through town were corn.    But I will admit I never inquired if they made flour.   None the less the corn tortillas were out of this world.  

W.E. Stewart LAnd COmpany

WESLACO

Sup, compa?

1 minute ago, jeevsie said:

W.E. Stewart LAnd COmpany

WESLACO

Sup, compa?

Yup...   Talking about all this makes me want to make a quick trip down to Casa De Maricos or even go across to Arturos or the Red Snapper!   

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

What I want to know is this: WHO IN THE FUCK ACTUALLY LIKES CANNED BLACK RIPE OLIVES?

They taste like a mix of nothing and dirt.  They add nothing.  I love all kinds of olives....but canned black ripe olives are a nothing.  They add nothing except a slight bit of mediocre to bad taste.  

I do...I will eat them out of the can....not on Mexican food though. 

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Must be a gringo... LOL!  

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, Hate said:

giphy.gif

Fucking.....puke....

large_6ff12705-5381-40f7-b246-d895558ca4

Well, not even puke.  I can stomach them.  They're just sad and pointless.  The fucking decorative leaves of kale lining the Pizza Hut salad bar have a more meaningful purpose.

I mainly put them in salads, but I can eat them straight out of the can.

On 10/26/2019 at 12:16 PM, Hate said:

For store bought tortillas, these are pretty damn good.

mi-tienda-ready-to-cook-flour-tortillas-

I would take the recommendations above as far as finding the Mexican neighborhoods.  It shouldn't be too hard to find a paneria to get some tortillas from.  If you keep them in the refrigerator, they should last a couple of weeks.  As far as corn or flour, Henry James nailed it with his post above.  Corn tortillas for breakfast tacos is an awful idea. 

This right here. Just tried these and they are quite legit. Good call, Hate. Extra pudding for you.

On 11/7/2019 at 2:00 PM, Steel Shank said:

This right here. Just tried these and they are quite legit. Good call, Hate. Extra pudding for you.

giphy.gif

On 11/5/2019 at 5:17 PM, Brisketexan said:

Fucking.....puke....

large_6ff12705-5381-40f7-b246-d895558ca4

Well, not even puke.  I can stomach them.  They're just sad and pointless.  The fucking decorative leaves of kale lining the Pizza Hut salad bar have a more meaningful purpose.

No, puke was right.  Those things are nasty.