Earl Campbell Thinks the Texas Longhorns Need a Black QB To Win

Vic Mackey

Catching up in here...first it was not racist, then it was and offensive, then it was ok because he’s old, then it was racist but ok because broad brush blacks have had it harder than 99.9% of white people? Got it. 

Thread bookmarked for when some old white Texan coot drops some racist shit and the cloakers call for his/her head. 

• Like 5

So this wasn’t racist but red saying Charlie was a good coordinator is?
What Earl said is 100% racist. That a QB would be better or worse because of his skin color was exactly what people said in the 70s when Earl played and black QBs were made to play safety.

He knows it's wrong. Everybody knows.

And a lot of people (of many colors) believe most of what he said, while a lot of people belive exactly the opposite.

All he needed to say was, "I think we need to let the QB make more plays with his feet... And see if he can coach defense, because we fired the black coach who had a defense this shitty..."

Keeping it racial.
  • Like 4

Yeah people actually pretending what he said wasn't absolutely racist are really trying hard to push/twist narratives.

But no, hes not a racist because he said 1 racist thing.  Like many have said, older folks who lived through a different time will say stuff that's at the very least, awkward, to us in 2019.  That's just a fact.

No I don't hate Earl, and no one should because he was probably prompted and pushed into saying something by Bohls. Think we all can see that.

There should be no double standard.  Just because Earl is from a different time and saw different things doesn't give him a pass anymore than it gives my Mom or Grandparents a pass for saying racist shit at Thanksgiving in front of my biracial wife(for the record her Dad, full Black, is the most out and out racist person I've every actually met).

All in all this was just a stupid comment that shouldn't have been said, and really should just be ignored. 

Edited by Drew
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, David Dennison said:

It helps having been a card carrying Republican. I'm extremely familiar with the whiny bullshit associated with white male grievance and hurt feelings.

Snowflakes, the lot of them.

See what I mean Girdwood?

Take notes brah.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I think it'd be nice if we were to somehow realize that we don't actually have to have an opinion or take a public stance on everything said by everybody.

I couldn't possibly give a lesser fuck about Earl's comment.

I'm  with you, but that ship sailed 20 years ago or more. What Earl said doesn't bother me much, he's still my favorite athlete of all time. What does bother me a bit is the double standard that exists, what Red said is a perfect example. I don't know if Red is a racist or not, but if what he said about Charlie is the worst thing he's said about anyone not white, I'm more than giving him the benefit of the doubt. And to be clear, I don't think Earl is racist in the least. 

Edited by CfRhTxStBobcats

Put a mic in front of any old person that has their guard down due to dementia, senility, whatever, that was around during the Civil Rights days and you're going to hear some offensive takes about race. Your grandparents, my grandparents, some of your parents, my parents, doesn't matter. Those are wounds that only time and the dying off of those who lived it will heal. Doesn't mean what Earl said is right or excusable, but it shouldn't be surprising, either.

• Like 1

Put a mic in front of any old person that has their guard down due to dementia, senility, whatever, that was around during the Civil Rights days and you're going to hear some offensive takes about race. Your grandparents, my grandparents, some of your parents, my parents, doesn't matter. Those are wounds that only time and the dying off of those who lived it will heal. Doesn't mean what Earl said is right or excusable, but it shouldn't be surprising, either.

Just because he’s old doesn’t mean he has dementia. He’s only two years older than I am and my mind is as sharp as it ever was. I don’t care what kind of sexist thing George Campbell said, he’s still the greatest basketball player ever to set foot on the diamond at UT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Just because he’s old doesn’t mean he has dementia. He’s only two years older than I am and my mind is as sharp as it ever was. I don’t care what kind of sexist thing George Campbell said, he’s still the greatest basketball player ever to set foot on the diamond at UT

I don't know man, I'll have to discount everything you say all because of your username.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 11:18 PM, closetohumping said:

So this wasn’t racist but red saying Charlie was a good coordinator is?

No, that wasn't either.

And Red was dead wrong.

CS wouldn't even make a good coordinator.  Not here.

Edited by Cajun

I'm not reading through 5 pages of this so it may have already been said.  Unless that black QB plays defense too it don't make a shit.

Also, I dont see Cede Lamb or the other OU rexievers, not to mention their oline on our team.  Other than Duverney we don't have a receiver that would start for them.  Other than him, our receivers are underwhelming and underperforming. Even CJ hasn't played up to the potential he has.  He makes some great catches but he and the others never seem to be able to get any separation and don't use their size to the advantage they have.  There's only so much the QB can do when every recieiver has a db on top of them every fucking play.

44 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

I'm not reading through 5 pages of this so it may have already been said.  Unless that black QB plays defense too it don't make a shit.

Also, I dont see Cede Lamb or the other OU rexievers, not to mention their oline on our team.  Other than Duverney we don't have a receiver that would start for them.  Other than him, our receivers are underwhelming and underperforming. Even CJ hasn't played up to the potential he has.  He makes some great catches but he and the others never seem to be able to get any separation and don't use their size to the advantage they have.  There's only so much the QB can do when every recieiver has a db on top of them every fucking play.

I also should have added that shitty coaching plays a big role in the underperformance of our players, and a black QB isn't going to fix bad coaching.

Earl said some racist shit. It was a bad take from a football point as well. It did not make me feel good to see it. This is a problem because I really like him a lot. 

Then I remembered his age and the era of his life. He saw a lot worse in his life. Way much worse. He probably doesn't see what all the fuss is about. Perhaps somebody can explain to him how it might be taken poorly. Maybe he still won't understand how things like saying the QB ought to be this color or that color of skin because of football reasons is not going to make him a popular person. It might even hit him in the pocketbook because that sometimes happens too. 

But, maybe he won't double down. Maybe he'll think about what he said and issue some sort of apology. Old men say stupid shit and have to apologize all the damn time. This is not new.

Some of them actually mean it. Some just go through the motions. I'll take a wait and see approach at this point.

I still like him, but this is another episode of finding out these heroes of ours have feet of clay. 

Yes Earl said some racist shit, but the double kick in the nuts is the timing of the racist shit. We were down already from the craptastic coaching  and this just adds another scoop of bullshit on top of it. 

We need some good mojo or we are going to spiral into some negative trends if we lose to KSU

41 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Earl said some racist shit. It was a bad take from a football point as well. It did not make me feel good to see it. This is a problem because I really like him a lot. 

Then I remembered his age and the era of his life. He saw a lot worse in his life. Way much worse. He probably doesn't see what all the fuss is about. Perhaps somebody can explain to him how it might be taken poorly. Maybe he still won't understand how things like saying the QB ought to be this color or that color of skin because of football reasons is not going to make him a popular person. It might even hit him in the pocketbook because that sometimes happens too. 

But, maybe he won't double down. Maybe he'll think about what he said and issue some sort of apology. Old men say stupid shit and have to apologize all the damn time. This is not new.

Some of them actually mean it. Some just go through the motions. I'll take a wait and see approach at this point.

I still like him, but this is another episode of finding out these heroes of ours have feet of clay. 

What I choose to think transpired.

Question from AAS:  What is it going to take for Texas to win?

Earl's answer:  Until the University of Texas realizes how incompetent these coaches are it would take a QB like Vince Young, and nothing against Ehlinger, you've got to have a Vince Young type QB.  All these schools that are winnig, even in the pros, have a QB like Vince.  When guys are not open, something can still happen.

AAS spin on Earl's answer:  Until the University of Texas realizes you have to have a black quarterback, and nothing against Ehlinger, you got to have a talented, black quarterback.  All these schools that are winning, even in the pros, have black quarterbacks. When guys are not open, something can still happen.

Let this thread die.
Earl grew up in racist east Texas, played football at one of the last universities to embrace black athletes, was never a scholar or someone to seek out for sage wisdom, loved his white coaches and teammates, and said something stupid in his old age that the pc pussies got riled about.
Fuck us all.
The meteor can’t get here soon enough.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SKA the boss said:

Let this thread die.
Earl grew up in racist east Texas, played football at one of the last universities to embrace black athletes, was never a scholar or someone to seek out for sage wisdom, loved his white coaches and teammates, and said something stupid in his old age that the pc pussies got riled about.
Fuck us all.
The meteor can’t get here soon enough.

Guys who grew up in that era have the right to say whatever they like.

On 11/1/2019 at 4:15 PM, David Dennison said:

It helps having been a card carrying Republican. I'm extremely familiar with the whiny bullshit associated with white male grievance and hurt feelings.

Snowflakes, the lot of them.

It would help us if you add bleach to your evening cocktail 

On 11/1/2019 at 12:28 PM, hayden_horn said:

this is my take.

we've all heard gramps say something bigoted or stupid. we shake our heads, accept that once a person reaches a certain age, thoughts on certain topics become calcified. the brain has stopped regenerating or whatever, and intellectual curiosity gets turned to zero. mix in cte, and you have a potentially volatile mix on your hands. 

my wife got a visor autographed by earl probably 15-16 years ago, and the dude was in bad shape at that time. 

it was irresponsible for bohls to print that quote. exploiting the elderly for a few extra clicks is not a good look.

but we all know that bohls is a fucking hack, so no surprise. it's regrettable that earl went there, but that sort of shit happens when people get old.

This 100x. 

bohls is/was in a slump so he goes and hunts down an old, half senile (maybe full senile) UT blue hair type who grew up in a different era and tries to lead them into saying something that doesn't fit today's narrative and create controversy. 

the sad part is Earl probably has no clue what he said and bohls, who's foot is halfway out the door himself, should know better but can't resist destroying a legacy over a few clicks/personal gain.

• Like 1

I give both Red and Earl a pass on their comments because they've both done a hell of a lot more good than bad for UT and they're both really old, so they're much more likely to speak their mind.  They've earned that right.  By definition, what Red said wasn't racist and what Earl said was.  Both were probably somewhat in bad taste.  Who gives a fuck?  Again, they've earned that right.

What pisses me off more than either of their comments is the people trying to turn what Red said into being racist and what Earl said into not being racist.  The mental gymnastics in this country to try to push one's own agenda is exhausting.

And as far as Kirk Bohls being to blame here, give me a fucking break.  There aren't many "sports journalists" (and I use that term very loosely with regard to Kurt Bowles) who wouldn't run with something like that, assuming Earl wasn't misquoted.  Except maybe Billy Liucci's dumb ass, who's sole purpose in "sports journalism" (term used even more loosely) is to hide the truth and serve as aggy's spin machine.  I get enough of that shit in politics from the likes of FoxNews and CNN (no cloakroom), I don't need it in sports.

• Like 3

I realize everyone fucking hates Bohls, but damn, Earl was directly quoted as saying you have to have a black QB to win - in college and the pros.  Then he listed a bunch like VY, Hurts, Watson and Barrett (and Tua, who is not black). 

Stop twisting into pretzels to blame Bohls or "it wasn't racist because he saw some shit" because you love Earl.

We all love Earl.  Earl said something totally racist and especially dumb AF because Trevor Lawrence just won a national title. 

Since 2005, national championship winning QBs: 10 white/Samoan, 5 black

Since 2005, NFL QBs: 14 white, 1 black

You do not need a black QB to win in college or the pros. 

• Haha 1

On 10/31/2019 at 5:02 PM, Casual Encounter said:

When a black man makes a racist statement, we should ignore it? Fuck Kirk but I don’t blame him anymore than I would if Colt said something similar and he wrote about it. I don’t want to only hear news which supports my agenda.

I recently heard a comedian say that black people having the ability to say anything without drawing public ire is the door prize for slavery, and I think they absolutely nailed it.

There's a total double standard on what black people can say vs what white people can say, without becoming pariahs.  Anyone who says otherwise is being disingenuous.  But I guess, so what?  Black people have taken (and still take) an unfair amount of shit in this country, and I'd rather not have to worry about getting shot by cops, followed around stores, etc, than be able to say anything with impunity.  

I think if we were just more honest as a society about this, people would get less bent out of shape about it.  

Edited by Al_4_ISU

On 11/3/2019 at 12:13 PM, nunna yo bizness said:

Man we have said this almost every single year.  “Which of our players would start for ou” and most times, not many