Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Getting home from work, finding out DirecTv took a shit and spending over half an hour talking to Peggy in Manila.

Did you take the initiative to unplug your satellite box for five minutes and then reconnect it before calling only to Peggy ask you to do the same thing again right when she connected to you on the phone?  That's causes much surl in an of its own self 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deadshank said:

Did you take the initiative to unplug your satellite box for five minutes and then reconnect it before calling only to Peggy ask you to do the same thing again right when she connected to you on the phone?  That's causes much surl in an of its own self 

What are you, psychic? 

Herbs are so expensive and wasteful.  My stores only sell them as potted plants.  Sometimes I only need a little bit, but I got to buy the whole plant.  It's impossible to keep it growing.  And even if I use the whole thing, I gotta toss out this soil and plastic pot and the wrapper and all.

When I was trying to grow some in the garden, only thing we could sustain was rosemary

17 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Herbs are so expensive and wasteful.  My stores only sell them as potted plants.  Sometimes I only need a little bit, but I got to buy the whole plant.  It's impossible to keep it growing.  And even if I use the whole thing, I gotta toss out this soil and plastic pot and the wrapper and all.

I have a bay window by the kitchen dink.  It's perfect for herb pots.  Plenty of light and right by the water faucet.

On 3/5/2020 at 2:41 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

If you've got your program dialed in then it probably works most of the time. If you don't, and can't handle the increased customer base without major growing pains then I can see places failing because of too much exposure too fast.  Quality, and service suffer, and people don't come back.

What happens alot of times too is they take out loans to cover the expense of hiring a ton more people. Plus buying a bunch more food and other stuff from their vendors. Then when the fad starts to wear off or it's unsustainable, they're still stuck with the loans but without the cash flow.

16 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

What happens alot of times too is they take out loans to cover the expense of hiring a ton more people. Plus buying a bunch more food and other stuff from their vendors. Then when the fad starts to wear off or it's unsustainable, they're still stuck with the loans but without the cash flow.

That makes some serious sense.  

39 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That makes some serious sense.  

Especially considering that most of these are "Mom and Pop" type places. The owners are probably great cooks with small wait staffs that are easy to manage. But their probably not very advanced with finance or prepared management-wise to suddenly have their staff double or more. 

55 minutes ago, justhookit said:

So you think these restaurants were operating at less than half capacity before the tv show? Like only using half their tables and had enough space to double their staff in the kitchen?

Not more tables. But more hours where all the tables were full. Normally a restaurant would only be fully wait staffed from say 7-10 on a Friday  and Saturday night. But you're running at say 30% of full staff on a Sunday morning. But then you get popular and Friday and Saturday are a little bit busier but those days where you were at 30% you're suddenly at 70%.

Food prep staff is a similar story. Plus add in the fact that they may have upgraded (and financed) some of the kitchen appliances. 

5 hours ago, justhookit said:

So you think these restaurants were operating at less than half capacity before the tv show? Like only using half their tables and had enough space to double their staff in the kitchen?

No not at half capacity, but you've been moving along at a pace you do well at, and then all of a sudden you have a big, sudden jump in business, and you don't grow your waitstaff, you don't maintain quality with the extra traffic.

On 3/6/2020 at 1:46 AM, RPM said:

Getting home from work, finding out DirecTv took a shit and spending over half an hour talking to Peggy in Manila.

<RayDog>Pics?</RayDog>

Also...

This dude has taken this thread to heart and is taking action.

mundane-protest-signs18.jpg

mundane-protest-signs21.jpg

mundane-protest-signs17.jpg

And holy shit, look at his sweatshirt! He has to be on this thread.

mundane-protest-signs16.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Fucking people won't respond when I send them emails trying to buy their cars. Shit's aggravating yo. 

People in general just don't respond to emails anymore. I can't tell you how many times I've emailed someone with the intent on doing business with them and get nothing. One company I emailed responded to me 4 months later asking if I was still interested. Is business in this country so good that you can blow someone off for that long and it not be that big of a deal?

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

People in general just don't respond to emails anymore. I can't tell you how many times I've emailed someone with the intent on doing business with them and get nothing. One company I emailed responded to me 4 months later asking if I was still interested. Is business in this country so good that you can blow someone off for that long and it not be that big of a deal?

There's a movement started by people like Dan Kennedy and Ben Seller to refuse to answer email except maybe once a week.  It's really taken off.  Most of the people I know who do it consider it a power move.  it's like, if you're someone they need to talk with you'll already have their cell to text them.  They consider it beneath them to respond in quick fashion to email.  

2 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

There's a movement started by people like Dan Kennedy and Ben Seller to refuse to answer email except maybe once a week.  It's really taken off.  Most of the people I know who do it consider it a power move.  it's like, if you're someone they need to talk with you'll already have their cell to text them.  They consider it beneath them to respond in quick fashion to email.  

THAT is some pure D, narcissistic, bullshit.  E mail makes business better, faster, and more efficient.  I rely on e mail daily to handle questions from contractors in the field and clients I work with.  Ain't no one more important than a question about a detail that needs to be addressed to allow people to keep working.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

One of my longtime co-workers catches hell( jokingly) about deleting his emails on Friday after lunch.

"Fuck em.  If it's important, they'll send it again."

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

Fuck these people with an armed AMRAAM

59 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I made my son change all the clocks for DST. When he changed the one in my bedroom he put it on military time. I didn’t notice until this morning when my alarm went off and I read the 17:45 time as 7:45. I yanked him out of bed and accused him of being a dumbass and making us all late.

You slept until 5:45 pm?  You really were late. Unless you’re a stripper. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I made my son change all the clocks for DST. When he changed the one in my bedroom he put it on military time. I didn’t notice until this morning when my alarm went off and I read the 17:45 time as 7:45. I yanked him out of bed and accused him of being a dumbass and making us all late.

From you alright!  I learned clocks from watching you!  

3 hours ago, nnm said:

You slept until 5:45 pm?  You really were late. Unless you’re a stripper. 

He also didn't understand how military time works.  When he reset the clock it was Sunday afternoon at 4:00 so he set it to set it to 04:00 military time. 

And no it wasn't the Ivy League kid.  He's 38 and lives in Phoenix.  He also just informed me that he won his first case in front of the Arizona Supreme Court.  I got to watch him argue that one.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

To be fair, it's not really military time, it's just the timekeeping system that 175+ countries use around the world, each and everyday.  Because it makes infinitely more sense.  Like the metric sense?  

How many days in a year, kids?  365.  Mark them so.  

How many days in a week, kids?  7.  Mark them so.

How many second in a minute, kids?  60.  Mark them so.

How many minutes in an hour, kids?  60.  Mark them so.

How many hour in a day, kids?  24.  Right.  But count the first 6 while you're asleep as AM even though it's "night."  Count the next 6 as while you're awake.  Then count the next 6 as PM for no reason, just to confuse the terms midnight and noon, AM and PM.  And then finally, have some peace within the last 6 hours as we move into PM despite 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 awkwardly repeating themselves in front of you for no reason.  AM/PM is beyond worthless.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

To be fair, it's not really military time, it's just the timekeeping system that 175+ countries use around the world, each and everyday.  Because it makes infinitely more sense.  Like the metric sense?  

How many hour in a day, kids?  24.  Right.  But count the first 6 while you're asleep as AM even though it's "night."  Count the next 6 as while you're awake.  Then count the next 6 as PM for no reason, just to confuse the terms midnight and noon, AM and PM.  And then finally, have some peace within the last 6 hours as we move into PM despite 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 awkwardly repeating themselves in front of you for no reason.  AM/PM is beyond worthless.  

When I started working for a European-based company I quickly came to see the advantage of using 24-hour time. So much easier. 
As well as using the “9 March 2020” convention. There’s a reason the military has adopted it. It’s much much easier. 

31 minutes ago, nnm said:

When I started working for a European-based company I quickly came to see the advantage of using 24-hour time. So much easier. 
As well as using the “9 March 2020” convention. There’s a reason the military has adopted it. It’s much much easier. 

this is also fucking stupid.  it's like putting the ones in front of the thousands. 

YYYY.MM.DD forever!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

You sound like one of them metric lovers. 

whats-the-best-ron-swanson-quote-2-30459

12 hours ago, RPM said:

You sound like one of them metric lovers. 

whats-the-best-ron-swanson-quote-2-30459

There are two kinds of countries in the world. Those who've put a man on  the moon, and those who use the metric system..... Always thought that was hilarious, but suspect it's not entirely true.

It's definitely not true as NASA is using the metric system now.

Edited by Onboard 2.0