Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

On 3/28/2021 at 11:15 AM, The Earl of Texas said:

You know they just make that shit up, right? Their job is to sell subscriptions, not report the facts or be investigative journalists.

I don't generally subscribe to the idea that $9.95ers make shit up out of the whole cloth.  Part of that stems from having an affection and respect for the IT people from a while back, when I was a mod there at one time.

I do buy the idea that they report things of suspect "provenance."  Like with that one, at some point, like in the late summer or fall, a recruit happened to bump into DelConte and maybe asked about coaching changes and CDC indicated that there were no plans for a change.  But I highly doubt that that happened in late 2020 or early 2021, when things were definitely up in the air.  For one thing, I doubt CDC was very available to recruits at that time and I also doubt that he would have lied outright if he was, and finally, I bet he would have avoided getting in that position like the absolute plague (as in, "oh shit, recruits" turn around and run and hide).

• Hook 'Em 1

That is a very generous way to look at it, but “nothing is going on, really” sells no subscripts and “there’s maybe a rumor of potential that our AD/coach are RUINING EVERYTHING stay subscribed for the next insider release and be sure to go to the message boards to discuss and increase our web traffic” sells more subscripts than zero.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, The Earl of Texas said:

That is a very generous way to look at it, but “nothing is going on, really” sells no subscripts and “there’s maybe a rumor of potential that our AD/coach are RUINING EVERYTHING stay subscribed for the next insider release and be sure to go to the message boards to discuss and increase our web traffic” sells more subscripts than zero.

Fair point and things have probably gotten worse than they used to be as has pretty much all journalism.  Clicks, clicks, clicks.

There has been an almost 100% turnover in Longhorn internet journalists since I was involved with $9.95ers.  Only a couple of the big names, like Gerry Hamilton, are still involved, and they aren't well-known for clickbait.  Then there's Ketch and Chip Brown, and I can't speak for them, but both of em act like they lost their damn mind about half the time.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 3/26/2021 at 7:57 PM, Royale with cheese said:

There have been a lot of negatives on this board about CDC during the last year. I wanted Urban as badly as the next guy but I don't lay our inability to attract him at CDC's feet. If you just ignore the rhetoric and look at the results since the first of the year, he's doing a pretty damn good job. No, he's not perfect but the AD at Texas is a damn complicated job and he's handling it. 

This, plus when was the last time you saw Texas put the best offer it could together with all of the alumni aligned and put on a full court press? We didn't even get that for Mack or Saban. In hindsight, I believe it was for the best that Urban didn't come here, and by all accounts so far he made a pretty damn good hire anyway and perhaps a better one long term than Urban would have been. 

Connie Clark --> Mike White

I forget who --> Eldrick Floreal

Karen Aston --> Vic Schaefer

Tom Herman --> Steve Sarkisian

Shaka Smart --> Chris Beard

I really think that five years from now we will look back on this list (and others that get added) and be in awe of what CDC has done on the hiring front.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I really think that five years from now we will look back on this list (and others that get added) and be in awe of what CDC has done on the hiring front.

Michael Center -> Bruce Berque

6 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

A good trend but let's see who he can bring in for baseball after a few more years of Pierce giving us blue balls.

27 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Honestly the way that whole thing went down, I'm not going to blame him if Sarkisian doesn't work out. It seems obvious that football head coach hiring is still the one area in which the BMDs are not willing to let go and trust the process. 

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Honestly the way that whole thing went down, I'm not going to blame him if Sarkisian doesn't work out. It seems obvious that football head coach hiring is still the one area in which the BMDs are not willing to let go and trust the process. 

Yep, HFC at UT is always gonna be a clusterfuck.  That it was kept quiet to the point that the ultimate hire was a bit of a surprise is probably saying something good about CDC making the best of the situation.

48 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I disagree. "The process" has fucked it up way more times here than not.

Our BMDs are no more involved than any other blueblood's, and less so than most. 

34 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Sark - A+ hire

Beard - A+ hire

So far CDC gets an A+ from me, I don't care about the rumors or all the stupid twatter shit at all. Hire winners and win. Nothing else matters.

I'm optimistic about Sarkisian, but he can't be an A+ hire given the way his last head coach tenure ended.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I disagree. "The process" has fucked it up way more times here than not.

Our BMDs are no more involved than any other blueblood's, and less so than most. 

Disagree on both counts. By "the process", I mean the process of the athletic director leading the coaching search, and I don't know where you'd get the idea our BMDs are "less" involved than most. Certainly not Ohio State's. 

I haven't waded into the CDC discussion and obviously the football hiring circus was just that-a circus (which is why we are even entertaining this discussion), but given that the AD at Texas (and most places) is effectively the CEO of the athletic department, I'd evaluate him on managing 2 areas, the front of the house (product) and the back of the house (administration). Primary goals as follows:

For athletics administration, the goals are simple. Keep the money train humming and keep the department well in the black, raise capital for big projects as needed, don't add too much bloat-in fact get rid of it as needed, and don't fuck up the small stuff that annoys boosters and other stakeholders. Administration should help, not hurt your cause. Think for the most part, CDC is checking the boxes here though I suspect there are still a lot of things that could be done to improve.

For the end product, the goals should be as follows:

• The absolute floor for performance should be to have the best program in the entire state for each and every sport we participate in. We're the best public university in the state bar none and should have all aspects of the University follow suit. That doesn't mean the best team every year but if someone says..who is the best women's soccer program in the state, the immediate answer should be Texas without anyone having to think about it. If we ain't there, we got a problem and the AD should be on the path to fix it.
  • Win conference championships about 50% of the time. Especially in the conference we are in, this shouldn't be a difficult goal to achieve. Again, take care of step 1 above, Step 2 is a little easier to accomplish.
  • Be in the hunt/discussion for national championships frequently. We should never miss a championship tournament in the sports that play them, at or near the top of the leaderboard in sports like swimming and track, and should always be in or around the discussion of the CFP annually.

CDC's grade here is an "incomplete" so far, but given that we've turned over most of the "problem" areas over the last 3 years, we should have a good answer in the next few years. Early returns in things like softball and women's basketball are promising, but initial success does not a program make.

That's how I'll evaluate CDC. Overall, I think things are going the right way, but we need to get FB and MBB back in the right direction-those clearly atrophied during the chaotic transition from Powers/Dodds to Hartzell/CDC which casts a pall on everything else.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

I'm optimistic about Sarkisian, but he can't be an A+ hire given the way his last head coach tenure ended.

Agreed.  I'm fine with calling Beard an A+ based on what he's done at Tech.  I think he'll do big things here.

Sark is more like a B+ at the mid-term with potential to end up with an A.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am very happy to be here to take the L.  True, I am the guy who thought there was a real chance Shaka would be extended, in large part because he was already extended with mediocre results before, by who? CDC.  CDC has officially turned the dept. around with the two big hires.  He is not done, imo, until two things happen:

1. ALL coaches employed by Texas  know and buy in 100% that there is accountability....he’s almost there already.

2. Plonsky is no longer associated with the University of Texas.  This is a very low priority item in my view.  fearless forecast from faraway is she retires before Moody opens.  

A huge bonus item would be doing something to fix the LHN.  I haven’t seen it in years, but all I read here is that the programming sucks.  

It is still kind of hard to believe that CDC may have fixed both football and basketball fo4 the next 10 years.  

19 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

I am very happy to be here to take the L.  True, I am the guy who thought there was a real chance Shaka would be extended, in large part because he was already extended with mediocre results before, by who? CDC.  CDC has officially turned the dept. around with the two big hires.  He is not done, imo, until two things happen:

1. ALL coaches employed by Texas  know and buy in 100% that there is accountability....he’s almost there already.

2. Plonsky is no longer associated with the University of Texas.  This is a very low priority item in my view.  fearless forecast from faraway is she retires before Moody opens.  

A huge bonus item would be doing something to fix the LHN.  I haven’t seen it in years, but all I read here is that the programming sucks.  

It is still kind of hard to believe that CDC may have fixed both football and basketball fo4 the next 10 years.  

Your extension theory was always absurd even though you just kept spewing it ad nauseum. You’re also wrong about the extension. Perrin extended Shaka, not CDC. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 5