Olympics, better late than never

Michael Knight

Patrick Reed up to 7th on the golf leaderboard with 8 holes to play. (in round 1)

I can't think of many things funnier than Patrick Reed winning the Olympics. Maybe he'd fit right in with the storied cheating tradition of the games. 

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Patrick Reed is our golf representative?  I’m still rooting for all the athletes that kneeled or whatever, but you can root against Patrick Reed and still be patriotic, right?   I mean, there has to be some kind of loophole for that fucking guy.

US sent 4. Morikawa, Reed, JT and Schauffele. 

Reed was actually an alternate after Bryson had to withdraw. Which would make it doubly hilarious. 

And Reed is a huge cocksucker but I think I'd still root for him down the stretch for a US gold. Maybe not though. It's the Ryder where I will never root against an American whether or not that makes me a shitty person. 

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Patrick Reed is our golf representative?  I’m still rooting for all the athletes that kneeled or whatever, but you can root against Patrick Reed and still be patriotic, right?   I mean, there has to be some kind of loophole for that fucking guy.

Last second replacement for Douchambeau, if you can believe it.

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

US sent 4. Morikawa, Reed, JT and Schauffele. 

Reed was actually an alternate after Bryson had to withdraw. Which would make it doubly hilarious. 

And Reed is a huge cocksucker but I think I'd still root for him down the stretch for a US gold. Maybe not though. It's the Ryder where I will never root against an American whether or not that makes me a shitty person. 

I don't follow golf. Why's he considered such a dick? 

Everyone one wins here, we get a new gymnast darling going forward.  Biles who this was probably her last olympics anyway just upped her speaking tour, future book sales, ect pay big time I bet.  She will get much more now then if she didn’t pull out and will become everyone’s go to on tv for athletes mental Heath. (Not saying that was her plan at all just the facts going forward)  Now how many pullouts for mental reasons do we see over the next year?  I’d put the over under at 5.

Edited by Hook1997

24 minutes ago, WBT said:

Lee competing had nothing to do with Biles not

I believe that it did. She wouldn't have been able to enter the all-around because she wasn't going to compete in all of the disciplines before the individual event.

I don't watch much other than tennis & soccer, so someone else who has been following this will have to pipe in, but I think that Biles stepping out allowed Lee to step in.

best golf storyline at the Olympics for me is Sungjae Im and Si Woo Kim of South Korea trying to win a medal to avoid mandatory military service.

As South Korean citizens, both Im and Kim are subject to mandatory military service. All able-bodied men are required to spend between 18 and 21 months serving their nation upon turning 19 years old, though it can be delayed for valid reasons such as studying or working abroad. Which, of course, Im and Kim are doing—both are PGA Tour winners ranked inside the top 60 in the world.

Still, they will eventually be required to put their golf careers on hold and enlist—unless they win a medal this week. The South Korean government provides exemptions for any athletes who wins a medal at the Olympics or a gold at the Asian Games. With the Asian Games golf competition being limited to amateurs, the Olympics present the only opportunity for Im, 23, and Kim, 26, to get their exemption. K.H. Lee and Sung Kang, both PGA Tour winners, won gold at the Asian Games before turning pro and thus do not have to serve.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/07/28/sungjae-im-si-woo-kim-medal-golf-olympics/

38 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I believe that it did. She wouldn't have been able to enter the all-around because she wasn't going to compete in all of the disciplines before the individual event.

I don't watch much other than tennis & soccer, so someone else who has been following this will have to pipe in, but I think that Biles stepping out allowed Lee to step in.

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/tokyo-olympics/who-jade-carey-meet-us-gymnast-replacing-simone-biles-all-around-final

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Team Handball, whether men’s or women’s, is a really fun watch.  It’s totally a Euro thing but would love to start training the US yewts in it.  Most of our main sports other than soccer are continentally grown. But man, it’s a cool sport. 

I've had several Exchange Students with no water polo experience, but who played team handball in Europe or Brazil come in and pick up water polo quickly. 

Edited by Chico_SA

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Team Handball, whether men’s or women’s, is a really fun watch.  It’s totally a Euro thing but would love to start training the US yewts in it.  Most of our main sports other than soccer are continentally grown. But man, it’s a cool sport. 

I was doing some work and had that on in the background and I was like wtf is that?  Looks pretty cool actually but how are you going to keep things like that but not have softball and baseball again at the next Olympics.   

It's really fun to play. Brutal at times but if you like to throw balls really fast, jump really high, and crash into people this is your game.

7 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

It's really fun to play. Brutal at times but if you like to throw balls really fast, jump really high, and crash into people this is your game.

I feel like if you got the largest goalie US soccer has to offer at an "elite" (relative) level, four 6'8" or larger NBA players with large, soft hands and a super athletic rightfielder with a hose, all with some bulk to them, you'd field a pretty good team.  

6 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I was doing some work and had that on in the background and I was like wtf is that?  Looks pretty cool actually but how are you going to keep things like that but not have softball and baseball again at the next Olympics.   

(H)Akeem Olajuwon played (team) handball growing up in Nigeria.

He also played soccer & volleyball.

There was absolutely no mention of The Dream, or anyone else, playing Softball or Baseball in Africa.

Other than Venezuela, baseball isn't played in South America either.

In the Middle East, the only baseball you'll find is among America enclaves working in the oil industry in places like Saudi Arabia and the like.

No one in Europe plays baseball or softball unless they've spent some of their youth in the States.

There are only a handful of country that play baseball and/or softball in East Asia/Oceana.

Handball is a much bigger sport around the globe than baseball/softball. Now cricket, on the other hand, that should be a U23 sport like men's soccer.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I feel like if you got the largest goalie US soccer has to offer at an "elite" (relative) level, four 6'8" or larger NBA players with large, soft hands and a super athletic rightfielder with a hose, all with some bulk to them, you'd field a pretty good team.  

I should qualify.... I am not trying to be that dude that says we could field a world class team.  But we have the right athletes to kill in this game if trained from early teens onward.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

(H)Akeem Olajuwon played (team) handball growing up in Nigeria.

He also played soccer & volleyball.

There was absolutely no mention of The Dream, or anyone else, playing Softball or Baseball in Africa.

Other than Venezuela, baseball isn't played in South America either.

In the Middle East, the only baseball you'll find is among America enclaves working in the oil industry in places like Saudi Arabia and the like.

No one in Europe plays baseball or softball unless they've spent some of their youth in the States.

There are only a handful of country that play baseball and/or softball in East Asia/Oceana.

Handball is a much bigger sport around the globe than baseball/softball. Now cricket, on the other hand, that should be a U23 sport like men's soccer.

Yeah softball wasn't in London and Rio and won't be in Paris.  It's basically a 6-7 country sport - USA, Canada, Australia and Japan are mainstays and the rest are some combo of Netherlands or Greece/Italy/China/China Taipei/Mexico/Venezuela.  That's why it was in Beijing (China and Taiwan had teams) and Tokyo (Japan won gold).  It'll be back in 2028 and likely 2032 (Australia). 

Same basically goes for baseball.  2008 and 2020(1), but won't make another appearance until LA.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Please post jersey numbers and photos of shorts of said Russian VB players. 

Also, this Patrick Reed golfer sounds like a real asshole.  His parents showed up to watch him in a tournament after they became estranged.  And he had PGA security toss them off the course?  That's pretty fucking cruel.  Plus he is vilified all over the game for cheating.  It's curious to me why some high profile players get shit for cheating and others are celebrated even though it's well known they cheat every single fucking time they go out on the links. 

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Please post jersey numbers and photos of shorts of said Russian VB players. 

Also, this Patrick Reed golfer sounds like a real asshole.  His parents showed up to watch him in a tournament after they became estranged.  And he had PGA security toss them off the course?  That's pretty fucking cruel.  Plus he is vilified all over the game for cheating.  It's curious to me why some high profile players get shit for cheating and others are celebrated even though it's well known they cheat every single fucking time they go out on the links. 

There aren’t very many known cheaters on the pga tour.  Who do you think is a well-known cheater who is celebrated?

I've watched about 5 minutes of the Olympics and minute 6 happened to drop on women's rugby.  Suffice to say didn't make it to the end of the 6th minute.  What the hell is going on with the people now deciding what sports should be in the Olympics?

Thank god I got over to the beach volleyball to see the ass.