The_Great_Hornsby

College Football in 2020 in danger?

I think it was Nahlin who said a week or so ago that about half of the Texas team has already had it. So we’re probably not too far off from that 75 number.

17 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

That virus probably got to Baton Rouge and saw what was going on in their locker room and noped the fuck out.

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

B1G set to announce return to play tonight according to the UN-L president via hot mic lol

hot mic.jpg

The sports ratings these past few months are really confusing to me.  Every sport is down and down considerably.  

I wrote off the NBA and NFL due to social issues but for CFB to be down so far as well is really surprising.  You can argue 40% of the major conferences are missing however I’m shocked the remaining demand didn’t offset the smaller supply.  

When you add in that even non-live sports related shows such as Last Chance U and Hard Knocks viewers are off 50%+ it’s like there’s little demand for sports at all anymore.  

It’s probably a better discussion for a different thread but I can’t make sense of any of it. 

20 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

The sports ratings these past few months are really confusing to me.  Every sport is down and down considerably.  

I wrote off the NBA and NFL due to social issues but for CFB to be down so far as well is really surprising.  You can argue 40% of the major conferences are missing however I’m shocked the remaining demand didn’t offset the smaller supply.  

When you add in that even non-live sports related shows such as Last Chance U and Hard Knocks viewers are off 50%+ it’s like there’s little demand for sports at all anymore.  

It’s probably a better discussion for a different thread but I can’t make sense of any of it. 

I think a lot of it is that they are off calendar and still far from normal if they are being played. Even watching on TV the crowd is part of the deal, and I think a lot of people find the fake crowd noise plenty off putting. I haven't watched near as much baseball as I usually do just because it seems so weird. Being in the stands for the K-State game was ok at first, but it just got progressively stranger as it went on. Overall, my sense is the desire for a diminished overall product(in the competitive and normal fan experience) is not as high as one would think. 

47 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

I think a lot of it is that they are off calendar and still far from normal if they are being played. Even watching on TV the crowd is part of the deal, and I think a lot of people find the fake crowd noise plenty off putting. I haven't watched near as much baseball as I usually do just because it seems so weird. Being in the stands for the K-State game was ok at first, but it just got progressively stranger as it went on. Overall, my sense is the desire for a diminished overall product(in the competitive and normal fan experience) is not as high as one would think. 

This.  A lot of it is that it is weird to watch.  The atmosphere really has a lot to do with CFB and that is missing.  Plus, the matchups have been pretty shitty so far as well.

They’ll pick up when the SEC starts. We talk a big game in the off season during normal life, but nobody is excited to watch Clemson throttle WF. When your excitement for the day was the sun belt punking the big 12, then yea...I can see why people were doing fall or winter prep work last weekend. I cleaned my garage

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

This.  A lot of it is that it is weird to watch.  The atmosphere really has a lot to do with CFB and that is missing.  Plus, the matchups have been pretty shitty so far as well.

I’d add to this, for me, the Texas game has been the first sports I’ve watched since March. The NBA playoffs are one of my favorite events (the world’s best athletes in a 7 game chess match is awesome), but I haven’t really had much interest this year. It isn’t the social issues or the weirdness of the environment or some sort of illegitimacy for the seasons; it just seems less important. For me, this is for two reasons:

1. I’ve personally seen enough suffering and death related to our current situations that watching games that I’m not REALLY invested in seems uninteresting. Escape is good, but I’d rather be productive. 

2. The current state of our world means that my work life is busier and way more complicated. I’m simply too busy and too tired to sit through a game unless I’m invested in the players. 

I work in higher ed and most of my students seem to be walking around in a similar fog.

It was really nice to watch the Texas game though. The lack of band, etc. made it less colorful, but the lack of sucking made up for it.

What’s changed? They thought everybody would jump off the ship with them. Now that it appears that a season of some sort will go on, the spring doesn’t look so good.
Bingo, there really is nothing more to it. The B1G thought other conferences would follow their lead

1 minute ago, ousux said:
On 9/13/2020 at 10:39 PM, C-Man said:

What’s changed? They thought everybody would jump off the ship with them. Now that it appears that a season of some sort will go on, the spring doesn’t look so good.

Bingo, there really is nothing more to it. The B1G thought other conferences would follow their lead

And they had their media shills try to browbeat the other conferences. They all look fucking stupid.

There was no reason to completely cancel when they did. NONE.

10 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

That's great.  No "tailgating", but you can gather in the parking lots behind the tailgate of your truck.  But just don't tailgate.  Mmmkay.

And I like this:

Athletic Director Greg McGarity said Georgia did not expressly forbid such things, but that time and location constraints should eliminate any notion of setting up an elaborate tailgate in the traditional sense.

Ha.  We can have our whole setup in place in 15 minutes with enough bodies, and broken down and packed just as fast.  2.5 hours to get loaded sounds like enough time to me.

“The three hours cuts down on the time it takes to set up and things of that nature,” McGarity said. “I think that will take care of any traditional tailgating. It’s not like you can take your stuff out to Myers Quad and set up. There’s not enough time to be lounging around before going to the game.”

Edited by Sbbruin

20 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That's great.  No "tailgating", but you can gather in the parking lots behind the tailgate of your truck.  But just don't tailgate.  Mmmkay.

“The three hours cuts down on the time it takes to set up and things of that nature,” McGarity said. “I think that will take care of any traditional tailgating. It’s not like you can take your stuff out to Myers Quad and set up. There’s not enough time to be lounging around before going to the game.”

"Challenge accepted."

-Georgia tailgaters

Edited by utee94

Dan Woken is a fucking shithead, period. He wants everyone to shed a tear for the BIG and PAC, and point out how responsible and "following the science" they are, while ignoring that the main reason they canceled when they did was due to a debunked myocarditis report. He leaves out the fact that the Big 12 was widely criticized, by him as well, for using a "twitter doctor's" advice (a world renowned expert from the Mayo clinic). He cites the 75 positive cases at Texas Tech, while failing to point out the zero hospitalizations. He wants so badly for something really bad to happen at any of the schools that decided to push forward and play. No doubt he already has his "told you so" article written and ready to go. It's all political for him, and he sucks.

Just look at his profile pic. Very punchable face

9 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

No SEC, so maybe no SEC audience?  The matchups weren't very good.  (Will be interesting to see how week 3 ratings match up)

Got to factor in the forced Covid/Society lectures from announcers.  They're a big part of all sports broadcast right now...even CFB.   

During Notre Dame game, the camera showed students dancing in the stands and the announcers started a guilt-trip-lecture on social distancing which included a threat of more shutdowns.  I changed the channel, as I always do now, the moment the announcers pull out their Covid/Society talking points.   

If it's not my school on TV, it's just not worth it to subject myself to the incessant lecturing and fear-mongering propaganda.  

Edited by Monster

1 hour ago, Monster said:

No SEC, so maybe no SEC audience?  The matchups weren't very good.  (Will be interesting to see how week 3 ratings match up)

Got to factor in the forced Covid/Society lectures from announcers.  They're a big part of all sports broadcast right now...even CFB.   

During Notre Dame game, the camera showed students dancing in the stands and the announcers started a guilt-trip-lecture on social distancing which included a threat of more shutdowns.  I changed the channel, as I always do now, the moment the announcers pull out their Covid/Society talking points.   

If it's not my school on TV, it's just not worth it to subject myself to the incessant lecturing and fear-mongering propaganda.  

Iowa State was the only interesting game national broadcast so far.  And sorry but, it's Iowa State.   ND looked like they did have some kind of flu.  Clemson as a blowout in the first.  OU and UT were PPV. 

Basically there were no contenders playing a watchable game.  It felt more like the 'week zero' than a hyped up Labor Day kickoff.   

8 hours ago, Monster said:

"Fear mongering propaganda" ?????

Are you an idiot?

8 hours ago, Monster said:

incessant lecturing and fear-mongering propaganda.  

There are 200K dead. We will cruise to 300K dead.

23 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

There are 200K dead. We will cruise to 300K dead.

"People with underlying medical conditions such as heart disease and diabetes were hospitalized six times as often as otherwise healthy individuals infected with the novel coronavirus during the first four months of the pandemic, and they died 12 times as often, according to a federal health report..."

While I don't believe this virus is a hoax or government plot, this virus mostly kills people that have serious lifestyle-related illnesses.  If you choose to smoke, have unprotected sex, drink to excess, be sedentary, and eat shitty foods, you're at risk.  If you're in decent shape, you'll have a bad case of the flu.  Counter-argument is that some people that have non-lifestyle related illnesses such as cancer didn't cause their problems, but those people with compromised immune systems weren't going out anyway.  So should the rest of us compromise or give up our livelihoods, football, movies, concerts, and socializing because people made bad lifestyle choices?  I would hope that after this is over people might get off their fat asses and lift a dumbbell and shed a few pounds, maybe choose a salad over a calzone, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

Edited by Zone Read
typo

8 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Iowa State was the only interesting game national broadcast so far.  And sorry but, it's Iowa State.   ND looked like they did have some kind of flu.  Clemson as a blowout in the first.  OU and UT were PPV. 

Basically there were no contenders playing a watchable game.  It felt more like the 'week zero' than a hyped up Labor Day kickoff.   

For any true football fan, Texas State - UTSA was an extremely entertaining game.  

So beta.  He's so upset they decided to play.

Bowing to pressure from players, coaches and politicians, the Big Ten’s presidents decided Wednesday morning to move forward with an eight-game football season beginning on Oct. 24, according to a person close to the situation, reversing their August decision to postpone the fall schedule and ending weeks of drama that spread from campuses all the way to the White House.

Citing new information presented by the league’s medical advisory board last weekend, including the imminent availability of rapid antigen tests for COVID-19 that can be administered on a daily basis, Big Ten presidents concluded they can safely conduct a football season, even as some of them struggle with infection rates on their own campuses.

So did they bow to pressure or did they get new info?

Coronabros Thamel, Forde, Wolken, Rovell are in their basements this morning crying because not only is B1G football back, but they were beat to the punch by Clay Travis and sir yacht. Lol.

Yes herpa lerpa derpa...that’s gonna hurt their online ego. Good thing they can shut off comments for their tweets

35 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

"People with underlying medical conditions such as heart disease and diabetes were hospitalized six times as often as otherwise healthy individuals infected with the novel coronavirus during the first four months of the pandemic, and they died 12 times as often, according to a federal health report..."

While I don't believe this virus is a hoax or government plot, this virus mostly kills people that have serious lifestyle-related illnesses.  If you choose to smoke, have unprotected sex, drink to excess, be sedentary, and eat shitty foods, you're at risk.  If you're in decent shape, you'll have a bad case of the flu.  Counter-argument is that some people that have non-lifestyle related illnesses such as cancer didn't cause their problems, but those people with compromised immune systems weren't going out anyway.  So should the rest of us compromise or give up our livelihoods, football, movies, concerts, and socializing because people made bad lifestyle choices?  I would hope that after this is over people might get off their fat asses and lift a dumbbell and shed a few pounds, maybe choose a salad over a calzone, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

Just another great opportunity to cull the herd.

You sound like a retard boomer on Facebook with all those talking points

2 hours ago, Zone Read said:

So should the rest of us compromise or give up our livelihoods, football, movies, concerts, and socializing because people made bad lifestyle choices? 

If you add up all of the factors that put people at legit risk to Covid, you are getting close to 1/4 of the population.

Let's use your logic and look at 9/11. Terrorists had attacked NYC before.....and had attacked the World Trade Center before. Our lives got changed forever, and many of our civil liberties were flushed down the toilet, because of the lifestyle choices people made to work in the high-risk areas of NY and DC/VA. We lost less than 3,000 people on 9/11. We are losing that every 2-4 days under Covid-19. And....we still don't know the long-term consequences of having asymptomatic Covid-19. 

2 hours ago, Zone Read said:

While I don't believe this virus is a hoax or government plot, this virus mostly kills people that have serious lifestyle-related illnesses.  

Being old is a "lifestyle-related illness"?

8 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Being old is a "lifestyle-related illness"?

Well sure, those old farts could have and should have done everything they could to die young.  But they chose lifestyles that forced them to become elderly.  

1 hour ago, Zone Read said:

What an unbelievable selfish and self righteous post.

Please kindly go fuck yourself with a rusty dildo. 

19 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

The ultimate beta

So Orgeron says something stupid and suddenly outbreaks are being celebrated? Come on man.

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Coronabros? Seriously!?!? Yeah I know where I am but god damn dudes 

At least they are not attaching -gate to things yet.

3 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

So beta.  He's so upset they decided to play.

So did they bow to pressure or did they get new info?

What a joke. Those 8 Nebraska parents should receive a percentage of BIG revenue this year, they really upset the plan.

36 minutes ago, Goodman said:

What a joke. Those 8 Nebraska parents should receive a percentage of BIG revenue this year, they really upset the plan.

The new testing technology along with several games being played safely does change things I think. I keep mentioning that but people on this thread keep insisting nothing has changed since August.

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

What an unbelievable selfish and self righteous post.

Please kindly go fuck yourself with a rusty dildo. 

Selfish and self-righteous?  Hardly.  Proven facts.  This country has insanely high rates of heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes.  Are you going to deny that?  You don't think that plays a part?  Go into a supermarket, amusement park or any other mass gathering in this country and look at the percentage of people who overweight or smoking.  Then go to one in some of the more fit European countries.  It's quite an eye-opener.  People here simply don't take care of themselves and wonder why they may have problems when their immune systems get challenged.  I know people that have died from this.  I feel bad and grieve for the casualties of this pandemic but at the end of the day, most broke their immune system and it wasn't able to perform when they needed it.  

In most cases, (not saying all) many of the underlying diseases are very preventable with lifestyle changes.  Eat right most of the time and do a half hour of exercise a day, maybe some stress reduction and chances are you'll be OK if you get Covid.  As for being old as someone mentioned, being old puts you more at risk because you've been doing these for a longer period of time.  Plenty of healthy old people out there.