Jump to content
Goo Punch

Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Recommended Posts

Just now, crash_davis said:

Most of us aren't black athletes playing for the UTexas. Yes it's just a fucking song to us; however, it means something entirely different to them. 

Sports used to be segregated. Let's cancel all those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is like new army vs old army shit on texags. some people are just set in their ways. turdition! i'll support change unless it means i have to sing a different song. then no fucking way!!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charlie strong was, for probably the only time in his life, the smartest person in the room when he said social media would be the downfall of society. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Of course the fucking Cowboys have something to do with it.

Indeed they do....

This is from my 1963 Cactus - The show was at Gregory Gym, IIRC:

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we're being honest with ourselves, we should all get the fuck out and hand it back to the Native Americans.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Armybrat said:

Indeed they do....

This is from my 1963 Cactus - The show was at Gregory Gym, IIRC:

spacer.png

but but...turdition!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Deej said:

If we're being honest with ourselves, we should all get the fuck out and hand it back to the Native Americans.  

Exactly. Why are they proposing these weak half measures?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I wanna know if lsu is gonna change their mascot/name. 
 

They are named the tigers because louisiana’s division in the civil war fought like (and we nicknamed) “tigers”

Lol. As if the citizens of Louisiana or students at LSU have rights. 

37 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Honestly, and this isn't a mad reaction or anything, but.... shouldn't the players, if they feel this way about the university's history, just walk off the campus and go play somewhere else less raycess?

Really good idea right here. You should definitely write CDC and Herman a letter about this. 

19 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

If they’re seriously discussing getting rid of “Eyes” then I’m in support of just shutting the entire program down. 
 

This fake activist bs is getting tired.

 

14 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Beat me to it. Fuck it, at this point I'm pretty much gonna give that one a try. 

I'd say shut the entire Athletics Department down, except for student-run club sports, and all that needs is a little oversight, if that much.

 

8 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Shut it down for 2-3 years like UAB and purge the malcontents. 


I can only assume you’re going to start your moral stand by no longer posting on Surly from here on out.

Later guys. You will be deeply missed. 

 

Oh and @VirginiaLonghorn better be joining join this group since He’s liking the posts about shutting the program down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I guess I just don't care that much about a song. Singing in unison with other adults has always seemed sort of weird to me anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Deej said:

If we're being honest with ourselves, we should all get the fuck out and hand it back to the Native Americans.  

Changing a song = ending the USA as a political entity.

/s/

old white dudes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The knee jerking from a lot of you on this is wild. Change the name of buildings and a school song is met with OH MY GOD, GET RID OF AMERICA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We need to go farther than that. Break up the whole country, everyone leave and head back to where your ancestors are from because bad shit happened in the past and people just can't cope
SWEDEN!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This thread is starting to read a lot like the aggy “sul ross” thread

everyone is for social change until it inconveniences them. the horror!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Most of us aren't black athletes playing for the UTexas. Yes it's just a fucking song to us; however, it means something entirely different to them. 

That's the thing we gotta come to grips with, we don't all have to same perspectives 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah, I guess I just don't care that much about a song. Singing in unison with other adults has always seemed sort of weird to me anyway. 

this is exactly what hank would say!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Fuck off. The Eyes of Texas is our fucking fight song. You might be fine with sacrificing anything the cultural Robespierres might want to chop off but maybe the rest of us who value our history don’t. I’m waiting for you and the rest of the cabal to chime in and agree with your bullshit position. This isn’t the same thing as the traitor Confederate flag or statues

Ha. Yes, it's about history. And the black players are saying they want it changed because its history was founded on making fun of people like them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

but but...turdition!

Star-Spangled Banner was written by a man who owned slaves, so we should get rid of that one too, right?

I understand why the origins are controversial and why we shouldn't force those that don't want to sing it to sing it, but the argument that the origins of the song and not the contents invalidate the song is a slippery slope. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

man, the Texas Football IG is all over this. like 4-5 days ago they played what i thought was a pretty cool compilation/hype video featuring that Gucci Mane/Jimmy Fallon "Eyes of Texas" remix, along with a dozen+ cameos from famous celebrities and alums flashing the "Hook em" sign. I just went and checked and it's gone now. I scrolled back a couple of months and didn't see any videos containing the song. it's already being removed. damn. 

 

 

Herman needs to support the players.  Once I watched above video that includes the history of "The Eyes of Texas",  I realized it has a horrible history...

UT should move quickly to remove the song, and move forward with making other changes to remove names/items that have racist undertones...

"What Starts Here Changes the World"  🤘 

 

 

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Eyes had racists lyrics, I could understand and support. But just because it used to be performed in minstrel shows? Fuck that. It is no longer performed in minstrel shows. The song wasnt the racist part. It was the minstrel show. The required change has been made. I support educating people on its origins but we can't take something that is not racist on its own and then take its origin out of context, apply today's morals and norms, and condemn it. There is not a racist word in the Eyes. It doesnt have a racist meaning. It is a unifying message for ALL Texans. The origin is important to know and understand but is in no way shape or form associated with or related to the current version, meaning, or performance of the song. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Longhorn94 said:

If the Eyes had racists lyrics, I could understand and support. But just because it used to be performed in minstrel shows? Fuck that. It is no longer performed in minstrel shows. The song wasnt the racist part. It was the minstrel show. The required change has been made. I support educating people on its origins but we can't take something that is not racist on its own and then take its origin out of context, apply today's morals and norms, and condemn it. There is not a racist word in the Eyes. It doesnt have a racist meaning. It is a unifying message for ALL Texans. The origin is important to know and understand but is in no way shape or form associated with or related to the current version, meaning, or performance of the song. 

“The Eyes Shall Rise Again!!!!!!”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GabrielsHorn said:

Star-Spangled Banner was written by a man who owned slaves, so we should get rid of that one too, right?

I understand why the origins are controversial and why we shouldn't force those that don't want to sing it to sing it, but the argument that the origins of the song and not the contents invalidate the song is a slippery slope. 

that too is just a fucking song.

traditions are traditions until they are changed. there's a reason why having slaves is no longer a tradition. people grow. times change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tom Chairman said:

Did they forget about McCombs or are those emoji383.png handshakes just too good?

Oh shit, that’s fucking good. Bravo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Changing a song = ending the USA as a political entity.

/s/

old white dudes

Giving a group Oklahoma and then trying to take that back may be the worst thing ever 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

If the Eyes had racists lyrics, I could understand and support. But just because it used to be performed in minstrel shows? Fuck that. It is no longer performed in minstrel shows. The song wasnt the racist part. It was the minstrel show. The required change has been made. I support educating people on its origins but we can't take something that is not racist on its own and then take its origin out of context, apply today's morals and norms, and condemn it. There is not a racist word in the Eyes. It doesnt have a racist meaning. It is a unifying message for ALL Texans. The origin is important to know and understand but is in no way shape or form associated with or related to the current version, meaning, or performance of the song. 

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perception is reality. Pick this hill to die on with black, young men and see what happens. Those same black men happen to be the lifeblood of the program. There are also black boys who can play this sport really well who are watching. You think you've seen negative recruiting? Ha.

I see both sides. Only one side controls whether or not this University fields a competitive football team, which - for purposes of this board - is all that matters.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

It wasn't. I'm not saying that at all. My point was, you're only here at this university a short period of time. If you're just finding out how racist the history of a lot of these things around you are, then do you really still love it that much, and wouldn't it just be easier to start over somewhere else? 

thinking on it a bit more, it makes sense that you'd try to change the thing you love for the better. 

Sure. I can see that side. 

Well, that would mean leaving the south for college entirely. And for me personally, fuck cold weather, that’s not happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Foosters said:

Perception is reality. Pick this hill to die on with black, young men and see what happens. Those same black men happen to be the lifeblood of the program. There are also black boys who can play this sport really well who are watching. You think you've seen negative recruiting? Ha.

I see both sides. Only one side controls whether or not this University fields a competitive football team, which - for purposes of this board - is all that matters.

 

Correct. To go against these demands would be suicide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collegiate athletes actually realizing and leveraging the power they have is a pretty awesome thing to see IMO

until the athletics department is “run” by 18-22 year old kids...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure at a minimum, the University will say players who don't wish to sing the song will not have to as they work towards some sort of compromise. They may not have to now but it always makes people angry if a player doesn't do it. Or even the Wickline stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

that too is just a fucking song.

traditions are traditions until they are changed. there's a reason why having slaves is no longer a tradition. people grow. times change.

Yes, because slavery is on equal terms to an alma mater song. Great fucking argument there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

If the Eyes had racists lyrics, I could understand and support. But just because it used to be performed in minstrel shows? Fuck that. It is no longer performed in minstrel shows. The song wasnt the racist part. It was the minstrel show. The required change has been made. I support educating people on its origins but we can't take something that is not racist on its own and then take its origin out of context, apply today's morals and norms, and condemn it. There is not a racist word in the Eyes. It doesnt have a racist meaning. It is a unifying message for ALL Texans. The origin is important to know and understand but is in no way shape or form associated with or related to the current version, meaning, or performance of the song. 

Except is wasn't just a song that happened to be performed at minstrel shows. From my understanding the song was literally written for a minstrel show. It's a song written to be performed by racist white people in exaggerated blackface with the specific goal of intimidating and demeaning blacks.

Edited by UncleSonny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

Correct. To go against these demands would be suicide

It seems like you could pretty much do all the rest of the list, compromise in some way on the Eyes, and have things be a win for most thinking people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Perception is reality. Pick this hill to die on with black, young men and see what happens. Those same black men happen to be the lifeblood of the program. There are also black boys who can play this sport really well who are watching. You think you've seen negative recruiting? Ha.

I see both sides. Only one side controls whether or not this University fields a competitive football team, which - for purposes of this board - is all that matters.

 

Maybe the whole system is exploitative and it's time to get back to the true concept of student athlete like the Ivy League

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mdmost said:

I'm sure at a minimum, the University will say players who don't wish to sing the song will not have to as they work towards some sort of compromise. They may not have to now but it always makes people angry if a player doesn't do it. Or even the Wickline stuff. 

I'm totally fine with this. But, I'm not sure they'll want to play in a stadium that held segregated teams for decades anyway, so we'll need to build a new stadium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, longhrnfan said:


let’s change our uniforms too. just uniforms.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoa Calm Down GIFs | Tenor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Over a fight song. Ha. So you want to be 1990s SMU?

It will be tough to give up all the thrilling wins we've had the last ten years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, John Lawrence said:

It will be tough to give up all the thrilling wins we've had the last ten years.

I don't know. I kinda enjoyed the times we've beaten OU, Georgia, and Utah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mdmost said:

I don't know. I kinda enjoyed the times we've beaten OU, Georgia, and Utah. 

Don't forget that nail-biter at home vs Kansas! 

Game winning field goals? Love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Red Five said:

I'm totally fine with this. But, I'm not sure they'll want to play in a stadium that held segregated teams for decades anyway, so we'll need to build a new stadium. 

Then you could hand them the tampon you are now using. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Most of us aren't black athletes playing for the UTexas. Yes it's just a fucking song to us; however, it means something entirely different to them. 

You’re saying it’s just a song to some people who clearly feel pretty strongly about it and dismissing their feelings as irrelevant. 

Do the racist origins of the song outweigh what it means to generations of people who attach positive significance to it and have no idea of any racist connotations? Is the song inherently racist? Is the fact that nearly everyone (including people of color) was likely ignorant of its origin until that article appeared a couple of years ago relevant? Do the origins of a thing or it’s subsequent history matter more? How do we take into account the strong emotions on both sides of this issue?

All of these, and more, are legitimate questions that should be asked before any actions are taken (and it’s basically what @Goo Punch was getting at). It can’t be “just a song” when it’s convenient to dismiss dissent and then a powerful symbol when it isn’t. 

Edited by formermav43

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, longhrnfan said:


let’s change our uniforms too. just uniforms.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yah. I mean I get what the players are going with here, but I seriously doubt the "just a song" crowd would be cool with "just a uniform." I've seen people murdered over that discussion. Twice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CDC won't be able to use the "tradition" excuse for why we haven't changed the uniforms. Get ready. If we're entering this brave new world of letting these young men dictate the program then that will be the next shoe to drop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...