Jump to content
Tailgate

Cheese Enchiladas

Recommended Posts

I made carne guisada just yesterday. Flour tortillas, fresh onions and pickled jalapeños.
 

Taco Shack specialty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I made carne guisada just yesterday. Flour tortillas, fresh onions and pickled jalapeños.
 
Taco Shack specialty. 

Which one do you work at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always preferred my Tex-Mex enchiladas to use a chili con carne sauce.  Where's the beef?!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this thread fucking rocks

 

As someone who grew up in dallas before moving to the PNW at 12 years old..... fuck man I haven't wanted a cheese enchilada so bad in decades. When I visit I always go for verde chicken enchiladas, been a while since I had anything like these. And the bickering among everyone is a great sign of how much these slam lol. 

before trying these out, I'm inclined to think a mix of cheddar and american works well...... either american filling and cheddar topping, or mix of both for each. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just polished off a double batch of NEISD cheese enchiladae.  
 

They were very good.  A great meal after this afternoon’s dove shoot.  
 

Thanks for posting the video recipe, @elfenix.  

Edited by deadshank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They did indeed. Long gone, right?

They are? Haven’t been to Taco Bell in a few years. Used to sub the ground beef for steak on it extra cheese.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

This thread brings it.  I've seen less arguing at a 30-person Thanksgiving dinner.

fuck off with this shit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, futureman said:

fuck off with this shit. 

You probably need to read fewer of my posts, seeing as how I'm way up under your bitchy skin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jimmyjazz said:

You probably need to read fewer of my posts, seeing as how I'm way up under your bitchy skin.

you serious, clark?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IF you want Tex Mex then you want American cheese.  The reason a lot of recipes use cheddar is to be honest the lack of availability of American cheese.  You can find Velveeta, but American you can grate yourself is sort of hard to fins outside of Texas, believe it or not.  

But if you cannot find the real deal, go with cheddar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DAMN.  That's a seriously on-point recipe.  Want TexMex cheese enchiladas with beef gravy?  Follow the video.

I'm no food photographer, nor a food stager, but that was outstanding.  I think it's the flour -- the "roux" approach really smooths out both the sauce and the gravy.  

2020-09-06-19-36-48

2020-09-06-19-32-26

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2020 at 10:09 PM, jimmyjazz said:

DAMN.  That's a seriously on-point recipe.  Want TexMex cheese enchiladas with beef gravy?  Follow the video.

I'm no food photographer, nor a food stager, but that was outstanding.  I think it's the flour -- the "roux" approach really smooths out both the sauce and the gravy.  

2020-09-06-19-36-48

2020-09-06-19-32-26

 

Those look fucking awesome. But I would consider putting some gravy down in the bottom on the pan, than smothering the rolled enchiladas with more gravy, and then topping with cheese. This looks like you got your beans above your franks for something.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a pan of the homesick Texan recipe tonight.  Added a pound of ground to the gravy and rolled up with Colby jack cheese sticks.  Topped with an egg and jalapeño.  Perfection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Those look fucking awesome. But I would consider putting some gravy down in the bottom on the pan, than smothering the rolled enchiladas with more gravy, and then topping with cheese. This looks like you got your beans above your franks for something.  

Those aren't beans, those are diced tomatoes.  (Assuming this is more than a beans above the franks movie quote.)  I greased the pan with butter, gravied up the rolled 'ladas, topped with cheese, baked, and then topped with beef chili.  The tomatoes are part of the chili.  (NO it's not Texas Red, which has no tomatoes.)

Addendum:  I should have thought to do fresh onions like yours.  Fuck, I knew I forgot something.  I love fresh onions on beefy cheesey enchiladas.  That's my father-in-law's move, and he always tells the table how he can't really handle fresh onions, and that he'll be farting like crazy in an hour, and yep.

Edited by jimmyjazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2020 at 1:17 PM, irishtexan said:

if you're using flour tortillas you're not making enchiladas. you're making burritos. they may be delicious, but they're not enchiladas. 

I assume this is like making chili (NO FUCKING BEANS) vs delicious stew (chili with beans)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Those aren't beans, those are diced tomatoes.  (Assuming this is more than a beans above the franks movie quote.)  I greased the pan with butter, gravied up the rolled 'ladas, topped with cheese, baked, and then topped with beef chili.  The tomatoes are part of the chili.  (NO it's not Texas Red, which has no tomatoes.)

Addendum:  I should have thought to do fresh onions like yours.  Fuck, I knew I forgot something.  I love fresh onions on beefy cheesey enchiladas.  That's my father-in-law's move, and he always tells the table how he can't really handle fresh onions, and that he'll be farting like crazy in an hour, and yep.

Mine had diced tomatoes in the chili gravy and turned out looking like yours, as well.  I was a tad concerned with appearances, too.  Turned out to be no big deal as the ravenous hordes decended upon the enchiladas and crushed them in short order.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mrs Horn’s carne enchiladas (SA style gravy) are so good, I think she’d be offended if I suggested this ISD recipe. 
 
Jovita’s had great cheese enchiladas. Could have been the heroin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So question how they make these in restaurant setting.  Are they cooking them in a salamander (or whatever they call those things) on the plates at time of service?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

So question how they make these in restaurant setting.  Are they cooking them in a salamander (or whatever they call those things) on the plates at time of service?  

almost certainly.   if they were being pulled out of a pan the cheese woulnd't have that nice melt pattern under the pool of refritos and pile of rice. 

Edited by elfenix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

some non-Tex-Mex cheese enchiladas:

spacer.png

blue corn and oaxacan cheese enchiladas in jalapeno cream sauce

You have 5 minutes to post that recipe.  Make haste sir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

You have 5 minutes to post that recipe.  Make haste sir

I didn’t make this one - I was in Mexico for the last week.  as much as I love classic Tex-Mex enchiladas, these are the best I’ve ever had - ordered them two days in a row.  If I had this recipe, I would probably never eat out again.  and I’d be super fat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only real criticism, based on the imagery alone, is that there are only two and not three enchi's on the plate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My only real criticism, based on the imagery alone, is that there are only two and not three enchi's on the plate. 

Sometime in the past few years, I crossed everything rubicon: I am okay with an order of 2 enchiladas, and don’t insist on 3 (at least when it’s a meal, with rice and beans). When it’s enchiladas only....I still like 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

some non-Tex-Mex cheese enchiladas:

spacer.png

blue corn and oaxacan cheese enchiladas in jalapeno cream sauce

Wow.  Do you need a GM?

EDIT:  well hell, I thought you cooked those.  Still, the radish is a great touch.  I'm copying that.  (If I can find some radishes.)

Edited by jimmyjazz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

I didn’t make this one - I was in Mexico for the last week.  as much as I love classic Tex-Mex enchiladas, these are the best I’ve ever had - ordered them two days in a row.  If I had this recipe, I would probably never eat out again.  and I’d be super fat.

we've all seen you cook. as you're not super fat, and your girl isn't super fat, the only explanation is that your dog is waiting patiently because she knows she's getting at least half of whatever is on display. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 3:15 PM, Anastasis said:

So question how they make these in restaurant setting.  Are they cooking them in a salamander (or whatever they call those things) on the plates at time of service?  

Yes. Typically pre rolled then sauced and topped with the cheese and popped in the Salamander/Broiler. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never had the Dart Bowl cheese enchiladas, but growing up in Wichita Falls we had the equivalent at Pioneer No. 3.   Great greasy cheese enchiladas probably American cheese, chili gravy, served with French fries also covered with the gravy, with a side of Cole slaw.  Had it probably 100 times as a kid/teen, so that’s where I start from when I think of cheese enchiladas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...