Why I voted the way I did

immamac

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Lifetime Republican. Never voted for a Democratic President or Senator in my life.

2016 no way in hell I was going to vote for Clinton. none. That said. I couldn't and didn't vote for Trump. He just wasn't (isn't) qualified. I wrote in a vote. I hated copping out, but I just couldn't vote for either. Rest of ballot mainly R.

2020... struggled for most of cycle on it. Up until around May I was going to just go ahead and vote for Trump. I've liked his policies and a couple of policies/regulations on the left will hurt my industry and occupation I feared (saw same when Obama was elected and much better when Trump was then elected).

As time grew closer I just couldn't stomach it. Trumps tone on race and pandemic were just too much. I really didn't want to vote for Biden either. Though about copping out again and that really didn't settle well as last time I figured Clinton would win anyway. I decided to vote for Biden but as I got in the booth I still paused... and paused some more before going to the dark side and voting for Biden.

There just has to be a minimum level of human decency to be considered worthy of a vote. You can't be a complete "fuck tard" and be eligible. Trump doesn't meet that low bar. I opted to vote for Biden as I feel like he has to win to move our country past the tone of Trumps presidency and I didn't want him to come up 1 short.  Rest of my ticket was pretty evenly split R/D

This is me almost exactly, except without the hestitation.

He's gotta go.  

Edited by Ghost of Shag

9 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I voted for him because he cemented a conservative SC. I fear I’m resorting to tautology at this point, so maybe we’ve gone as far as we can in this exchange.  

I'm sure it seems like I was picking on you, but actually it ties into why I voted the way I did.

Before 2016, I was generally politically apathetic, although right leaning.  I voted for McCain and Romney and then pretty much checked out the rest of the time.  But after seeing the rise of Trump and what the party is shifting towards, I feel sick thinking about my previous support.

The judges are nothing special.  It's like giving Tom Herman an extension for signing a recruiting class that finishes top 3 in the conference.  Sure, I guess you can say it's an accomplishment that he's there in the first place, but anyone in that position would have done the same.  Rewarding Trump for doing shit that *ANY* generic Republican would also have done only encourages the direction that the party is headed. 

I voted straight Democratic because I want to be able to vote Republican again someday.  

• Hook 'Em 3

I’m pretty libertarian, but generally just on the left side of what I’d call moderate. Thus I’ve voted for Democrats in every election since I could vote. With great pain, I voted Trump. I thoroughly reject some of the extreme positions the left side has taken since COVID hit and the hypocrisy. Probably somewhat personal also as we were forced to watch my wife’s grandmothers funeral (COVID) on a computer due to extreme funeral attendance limitations and then a week later there are tens of thousands in the streets with hardly a word.

As much as I generally rail on the horribleness of Trump and many of his vocal supporters, I want my vote to be an opinion on my distaste with where the left side is going. Honestly my vote is pretty much up for grabs each election, Obama was easy. But these past two elections is basically a giant lose lose. Great work all involved in politics, you’re all terrible

• Hook 'Em 1

You have do have to give Trump credit for the SC picks, because Jeb and the gang wouldn't have even been in the position to nominate. Trump out assholed Hillary for the win. No Trump, no conservative SC picks.

Now you have to be careful, with tying your hopes to a President because of SC picks. Folks bitch about Bush, because of Roberts all the time now.

Interesting logic to blame the dems for setting limitations that prevented you from attending your grandmother’s funeral but no blame for the ones that let the virus get so out of control it killed her.

Oh no no - my issue is the hypocrisy. You want restrictions? Ok. But be consistent. Don’t tell me that 50 of us sitting apart outside somewhere is more dangerous than a thousand people protesting in the streets

In regards to the virus, it’s a cluster. The more we’ve learned the less solution we have. I don’t necessarily blame or give credit to anyone. You look at our peer countries and it’s having just about the same effect at all of them (except Germany), just at different intervals. Plenty of things we should have done better, but I wouldn’t wish this on any President. Easy to Monday morning quarterback this thing, and will continue to be going forward.

5 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Beyond anything, I care for animals and nature in general. People can get fucked. I'll hear about a bus load of kids going off a bridge and feel nothing.

These Republican cunts opening up our national forests to logging..... man fuck that shit.

I don't know the ins and outs of what Trump or GOP appointees have permitted on federal lands.

But, responsible logging/cutting forests is essential to their maintenance and prosperity.  Either that or letting them burn.  Logging can actually be a conservation practice./timber owner

If Trumpco did it, it's probably irresponsible, though.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Oh no no - my issue is the hypocrisy. You want restrictions? Ok. But be consistent. Don’t tell me that 50 of us sitting apart outside somewhere is more dangerous than a thousand people protesting in the streets

In regards to the virus, it’s a cluster. The more we’ve learned the less solution we have. I don’t necessarily blame or give credit to anyone. You look at our peer countries and it’s having just about the same effect at all of them (except Germany), just at different intervals. Plenty of things we should have done better, but I wouldn’t wish this on any President. Easy to Monday morning quarterback this thing, and will continue to be going forward.

This is insane.  You’re voting for Trump because of how Democrats have handled the pandemic?! But you don’t want to “Monday Morning Quarterback” the President’s handling of the pandemic?!  Jesus.  Unfuckingbelievable.  The idea that there are people out there who have actually interpreted the events of the last 9 months this way is terrifying.  Snap out of it!

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HoustonFrog said:

Yeah it's really easy to Monday morning quarterback the President who didn't do a goddamn thing after half-ass closing the borders to Jyna.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

This is insane.  You’re voting for Trump because of how Democrats have handled the pandemic?! But you don’t want to “Monday Morning Quarterback” the President’s handling of the pandemic?!  Jesus.  Unfuckingbelievable.  The idea that there are people out there who have actually interpreted the events of the last 9 months this way is terrifying.  Snap out of it!

How else am I supposed to interpret the specific situation I presented? Also - I very clearly said I think some things were not done well/poorly.

I hate the way the left has moved. It’s gone from a party that I believe is the party that respects everyone/most to the party that hates everyone that doesn’t think like them. The right was already there, and still is, I’m not sure why the left joined them.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HoustonFrog said:

How else am I supposed to interpret the specific situation I presented? Also - I very clearly said I think some things were not done well/poorly.

I hate the way the left has moved. It’s gone from a party that I believe is the party that respects everyone/most to the party that hates everyone that doesn’t think like them. The right was already there, and still is, I’m not sure why the left joined them.

There is no monolithic left.  The slate of Democratic primary candidates out front should have told you.

There sure as fuck is a monolithic right, though.

Everything you're saying sounds heavily influenced by the right-wing circle jerk.

This coming from someone who has voted mostly R for nearly 40 years, with increasing dissatisfaction.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

If you “hate the way the left has moved”, but don’t hate the way the right has moved even more, then you are a liar, and never actually believed the left “is the party that respects everyone/most to the party“.  You can’t look at the history of the Democrats related to Biden, and the history or the GOP related to Trump, and say “wow, I hate how the Democrats have changed” unless you are insane.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

This coming from someone who has voted mostly R for nearly 40 years, with increasing dissatisfaction.

When I was 20 I was close to some very deep pocketed D operatives, I had dinner with  Senator Paul Wellstone and  Rep Charlie Rangel at the Capitol Hill Hyatt one night - just the 3 of us, and the next day I met up with Robert Reich who signed all of his books for me - then I returned to Texas and voted for Clayton Williams.

OK, I voted for Clinton the 1st time because I had a FWB relationship with one of his advance team - a filthy mouthed dirty blonde minx code named "pink panties" who when I was 21 gave me a rental car, a brick of cash, and instructions to "go buy the liquor store's entire stock of good stuff" for Sidney Blumenthal and the rest of the press.  Best week of my life.

But then I voted for Dole, Bush, McCain, and Romney with satisfaction.  Then a FU Hillary vote for Trump.

Nevermore.

I pulled the lever for Dems across the board last week. I usually vote LP but the Trump Republican party is extremely toxic and needs to be purged from the earth. I'll be voting Dem until the GOP commits seppuku live on Fox News.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So when people went out in hoards to protest the death of George Floyd, you thought that democratic leaders, governors and mayors should have told everyone to go home due to the pandemic and because they did not, that pissed you off over their hypocrisy and for that one reason, voted for Trump. Seems rational. I'm sorry about your grandmother. My mother died this year too. In early May and we had to curtail plans but managed to attend an outdoor funeral burial for her. Seems odd that your family couldn't organize the same. Mind you, it wasn't what would have been during normal times but still we were able to give her a family attended funeral. Hmmmm

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Bunch of fucking idiots in this thread who have seen the light and are voting against Trump but appear to be poised to immediately go back to being fucking idiots after this. Hooray. 

Moderate Democrats, liberals and migrated Republicans will control the leavers of power in the Democratic party and there isn't a God damn thing your merry band of progressives can do about it.

You want a sane Republican party. You need a sane Republican party.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

I voted for him because he cemented a conservative SC. I fear I’m resorting to tautology at this point, so maybe we’ve gone as far as we can in this exchange.  

The ends justify the means was one of Jesus’s greatest hits.
  • Haha 1

Preface: I am extremely socially liberal, moreso than many liberals.  But I agree with the right wing talking points on things like fiscal conservatism and state's rights over large federal government (I do wish they'd actually give a shit about these things instead of just talking about them, but that's another conversation).  I'd listen to a moderate Republican who didn't want to strike down women's right to govern the insides of their own bodies, if such a Republican existed.  The point of all of this is that I'm not a straight-line liberal.  Socially liberal, fiscally conservative, but not a libertarian.  I'm a man without a party.
But I did vote straight Dem all the way down.  The current version of the Republican Party needs to be burned to the ground.  It will be a very long time before I even consider voting for a Republican after what they've done over the last several years, and I mean since the birth of the Tea Party.  Rebrand or die, Republicans.  And go find your moral compass, your conscience, and your soul.

Agree.

I’ll be voting in Collin County today. I will vote Libertarian for President for the 2nd election in a row. I’ll be voting L as many times I can and D for the rest.

I find most D & R candidates insufferable though.

13 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

If you “hate the way the left has moved”, but don’t hate the way the right has moved even more, then you are a liar, and never actually believed the left “is the party that respects everyone/most to the party“.  You can’t look at the history of the Democrats related to Biden, and the history or the GOP related to Trump, and say “wow, I hate how the Democrats have changed” unless you are insane.

Or maybe he spends too much time on this board ... The hate towards anything non left is off the charts. Find me some examples going in the other direction on this board please.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, I voted for Trump. Didn't think I'd do it, but ultimately when it comes to nut-cutting time, we see what we are willing to sacrifice of what we think we know and love and believe.

That said, I won't lose one bit of sleep when he, overwhelmingly likely, loses and no matter who wins I am going to be gracious and calm and look on the bright side ad then move on with the day.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

I’m an independent who historically voted more Republican because of concern about fiscal responsibility of government, the Republican tenant of individual responsibility, and a pro-business mindset.

But starting in 2008, and definitely in the last four years, it started to become clear to me that it was all talk and no action. Combine that with a candidate who can’t even meet the minimum level of human decency, and a Republican Party that did nothing about it, and the choice for this election is crystal clear. I’m amazed anyone can still vote for Trump. The misinterpretation of reality is scary. It’s just like a cult where you can’t shake any sense into the people.

I voted for a mix of D and R down ballot because the Democratic Party does have some significant issues that often they refuse to address. Those issues are for another thread. But if the Party continues to demonstrate a better ability to govern overall, I will increasingly move my votes left.

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Or maybe he spends too much time on this board ... The hate towards anything non left is off the charts. Find me some examples going in the other direction on this board please.

Maybe you spend too much time reading QAnon and Proud Boy propoganda. 

Show me one truly conservative op-ed that says Trump is the guy? Robert fucking Gates has even said he's fucked. Colin Powell. Admiral Mcraven. What other true conservatives do you need to tell you that Trump ain't it. 

GOP is the party of Trump. It's the party of fuck your feelings. It's the party of no more bullshit. It's the party of make the libs cry again. These are the literal campaign slogans. It's the party of stupid, selfish, or bigotry. It's a safe haven for all 3 of those types. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Well, I voted for Trump. Didn't think I'd do it, but ultimately when it comes to nut-cutting time, we see what we are willing to sacrifice of what we think we know and love and believe.

That said, I won't lose one bit of sleep when he, overwhelmingly likely, loses and no matter who wins I am going to be gracious and calm and look on the bright side ad then move on with the day.

What do you mean by this? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Show me one truly conservative op-ed that says Trump is the guy? Robert fucking Gates has even said he's fucked. Colin Powell. Admiral Mcraven. What other true conservatives do you need to tell you that Trump ain't it. 

GOP is the party of Trump. It's the party of fuck your feelings. It's the party of no more bullshit. It's the party of make the libs cry again. These are the literal campaign slogans. It's the party of stupid, selfish, or bigotry. It's a safe haven for all 3 of those types. 

You're making my point. The left is the party of lecture don't listen. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Yes, yes we’re all stupid selfish bigots. That’s it. Deplorables.  

Let me guess, it was your idea to put Lady Gaga in camo next to a truck and have her smash a beer?

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm happy to ban your fucking ass so you can never fucking be here again with your out of line accusations of not listening. You literally typed a bunch of garbage and I said show me a real conservative (like MANY) on this board who days that trump and the GOP are the future. You immediately accuse me of being part of "The left" which quite frankly I don't even think you know what it is. 

Just because someone doesn't hold the same views as you doesn't mean they are wrong, what makes them wrong is when they spout absolute nonsense. Which you are doing. So stop the nonsense. Show me or you will be launched off the site like a troll. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I think we lefties do plenty of listening, far more than the Trump people I know. I just think most of the dialogues leaves Trump people feeling stupid. How do you get around the truth? Are us lefties to placate the untruths and half truths? Smile and look past the lies? 

3 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Yes, yes we’re all stupid selfish bigots. That’s it. Deplorables.  

Let me guess, it was your idea to put Lady Gaga in camo next to a truck and have her smash a beer?

You probably fit into the selfish or greedy category pretty good from your post history. 

• Haha 1

Or you are refusing to answer a question.  Why did all the smart old republicans distance themselves?  Are the members of pizza gate?  Are they pedophiles?  Or maybe, like other people who used to vote R, they are disgusted by 

admiration for dictators

callous and erratic approach to the rona

dog whistling for race conflict

complete disregard for free trade

just to name a few.

The Trump cult being sidelined is the first step to get the people who left to come back.  Otherwise the party will be a  B permanent minority.  Because just on demographics the R party is fucked.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

What do you mean by this? 

I thought I might not vote for Trump and had vaguely, sort of wishy-washily built up some mental justifications and a case for not doing so over the past few weeks in anticipation of it being crisis of self, but when it came down to the actual ballot and myself staring down that barrel, I reverted back to what was comfortable and easier for me to do (both socially/culturally and politically) and I voted for Trump again.

I don't know if I have kept my integrity or if I am a coward. Probably equal parts both, ammirite?

1 minute ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I thought I might not vote for Trump and had vaguely, sort of wishy-washily built up some mental justifications and a case for not doing so over the past few weeks in anticipation of it being crisis of self, but when it came down to the actual ballot and myself staring down that barrel, I reverted back to what was comfortable and easier for me to do (both socially/culturally and politically) and I voted for Trump again.

I don't know if I have kept my integrity or if I am a coward. Probably equal parts both, ammirite?

Well, if he wins, it’ll be votes like yours. And I wouldn’t call voting for Trump “keeping your integrity”. Voting out of fear and insecurity are really Trump’s wheelhouse. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

I’m pretty libertarian, but generally just on the left side of what I’d call moderate. Thus I’ve voted for Democrats in every election since I could vote. With great pain, I voted Trump. I thoroughly reject some of the extreme positions the left side has taken since COVID hit and the hypocrisy. Probably somewhat personal also as we were forced to watch my wife’s grandmothers funeral (COVID) on a computer due to extreme funeral attendance limitations and then a week later there are tens of thousands in the streets with hardly a word.

As much as I generally rail on the horribleness of Trump and many of his vocal supporters, I want my vote to be an opinion on my distaste with where the left side is going. Honestly my vote is pretty much up for grabs each election, Obama was easy. But these past two elections is basically a giant lose lose. Great work all involved in politics, you’re all terrible

Yeah, ok.  This is believable.

source.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

This is an admirable thing to admit and extremely self aware. I applaud you for doing your civic duty and accepting whatever outcome may happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

He's not a smart man.

16 minutes ago, immamac said:

He said he voted for biden and you slander him with qanon and white supremacists bullshit? 

1 hour ago, Whatever said:

Agree.

I’ll be voting in Collin County today. I will vote Libertarian for President for the 2nd election in a row. I’ll be voting L as many times I can and D for the rest.

I find most D & R candidates insufferable though.

It’s understandable if you don’t like either Biden or trump. That’s fair. But realize that voting L (or any 3rd party) in Texas is actually voting for Trump. It’s not a protest vote or that you think Jo Jorgensen should be president. It’s you helping Trump win Texas. 100%.

Think of who can help America the most? Or who will help you personally the most. Then vote either Biden or Trump.

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

You probably fit into the selfish or greedy category pretty good from your post history. 

Oh look at @immamac, sitting on his cloud of judgement handing down life lessons to all the sinners. 

To add to the actual thread, rather than simply attacking others with views different than my own, I voted the way I did because of trumps tax cuts and the opposition to the green new deal. I also was happy with trump being the first president to not start a new major military conflict.

Also because Kim Ogg. I would have gone to the poll just to vote against her.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2