Joe Biden 2021

tantric superman

Janet Yellen spoke at the press briefing today; rather than create a thread specifically for her at this time, I wanted to mention one of her remarks that I heard regarding some of the jobs numbers being down a little below projections. She commented upon one of the important things with Biden's plan and the daycare/pandemic/etc is that many women have left the workforce and have not been able to return due to daycare/school/eldercare issues. With schools beginning to open back up (only to close again for summer), and some day care facilities not fully open either, she spoke a little on the brunt of that care frequently falling on women and here are a couple of her comments I looked up after listening:

...Our policymaking has not accounted for the fact that people's work lives and personal lives are inextricably linked and if one suffers, so does the other.... Between February and April of 2020, 4.2 million women dropped out of the labor force, in large part due to an unexpected caregiving burden. Nearly 2 million have not yet returned.

She went on to discuss that many children are back in school, but in some areas it is not full time and the schedules are somewhat sporadic, etc. I had to get back to work, so I may give it another listen, but it wasn't quite as gloomy as I'd been led to believe. Still not great, but if the vaccines can catch hold, things may improve.

On 1/15/2021 at 7:53 AM, bad_teammate said:

Because the Democratic power establishment doesn't care about the people, it cares about DC. It cares about its friends and its parties and its connections and its norms. When Democrats talk about "uniting America" they mean "being friendlier with Republicans in DC", they don't mean uniting actual Americans. They don't mean addressing the needs of actual Americans.

Pod Save is the only political podcast I listen to regularly just to keep my finger on the pulse of mainstream Democratic thinking and it helps because it lets me know what the Democratic versions of Susan Collins are up to because once Super Tuesday happened it was clear that this was going to be the direction of Democratic power. The hope for people-first Democratic politics died on Super Tuesday, and this is what we have.

Democrats are already pre-negotiating against themselves before even seeking Republican votes.

Pelosi holding up a relief bill for 8 months to help Democratic election chances and then ending up with a worse one PLUS the "$2000 checks" becoming $1400 checks thing is a beautiful representation of just how incompetent and useless Democrats truly are.

Biden promised Georgians a $2k check in order to get their Senate votes. Now it's $1400 before even bringing it to a negotiating table. There, it will turn into $600.

I hate them so much. So very much.

It s the hate that positions the Venn diagram atop the far left and right. That and who is tasked with calling the shots.

7 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

It s the hate that positions the Venn diagram atop the far left and right. That and who is tasked with calling the shots.

if you don't just shrug regretfully as the working poor are trampled underfoot and it actually makes you mad... you're a Nazi

/

330px-Wojak_cizim.png

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

it actually makes you mad..

Makes plenty of folks mad, Some manage anger without hate and try to work for a better tomorrow. CW is Joe’s surpassing expectations among that group.

Weren't Germany and Russia political bedfellows for a while? I thought you could see the differences between the two. 

Edited by Willfully Horn
Yes. I did.

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

that 47% has to scare the shit out of R's looking to win elections in the next few cycles. The fear-mongering will continue to work on the weak-minded, but smarter conservatives know what's up

Yup. Five years ago I wrote on this very forum that Trump would result in the death of the Republican party. I stand by that prediction.

5 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

63% of Americans ...

Just think of the 53% of Republicans that think Biden is handling the pandemic poorly.  I mean what are they expecting from him that Fuhrer Trump did better.  I would think just by telling people not to drink bleach everyone should approve of his handling of the pandemic.

Edited by Beantown Express 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

that 47% has to scare the shit out of R's looking to win elections in the next few cycles. The fear-mongering will continue to work on the weak-minded, but smarter conservatives know what's up

I’m starting to question how many smart conservatives there are left. Not many it appears. 

10 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Just think of the 53% of Republicans that think Biden is handling the pandemic poorly.  I mean what are they expecting from him that Fuhrer Trump did better.  I would think just by telling people not to drink bleach everyone should approve of his handling of the pandemic.

I had not thought of it that way. 53% of Republicans are unhappy that fewer people are getting infected and dying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Then there this:

The number of children being held in by US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) has dropped 88% between late March and late April, according to government officials.

The decrease comes as a task force set up by President Joe Biden begins to reunite families that were separated under his predecessor Donald Trump's "zero tolerance" policy.

Mr Biden has urged migrants not to attempt to travel to the US border - "Don't leave your town or city or community," he has said - but with Mr Trump out of office, some believe immigration to the US is now more possible.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56405009

• Hook 'Em 4

Biden says nothing: He's enabling these leeches and paying them to stay home and not even look for work!

Biden says they have to look for work to be eligible for the federal enhanced UI benefit: "There's no way to enforce this" 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Biden says nothing: He's enabling these leeches and paying them to stay home and not even look for work!

Biden says they have to look for work to be eligible for the federal enhanced UI benefit: "There's no way to enforce this" 

Having to “look for work” is a bit different than if you’re offered a suitable job you must take it. Who determines what’s suitable? 

I shared it because it’s a notable change in tone directly from the President. Used to be we had every word shared here. Now we have a President who rarely speaks in public and people hardly pay attention to what he says. 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Fuck You 9

8 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Having to “look for work” is a bit different than if you’re offered a suitable job you must take it. Who determines what’s suitable? 

I shared it because it’s a notable change in tone directly from the President. [b]Used to be we had every word shared here. Now we have a President who rarely speaks in public and people hardly pay attention to what he says. [/b]

Joe Biden Reaction GIF

Edit: how do you bold something? HTML doesn’t work anymore?

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think it’s cute GRUhorn has been tasked with leaving the DT forum to post nonsense in CR about Biden being in the basement and senile and Kamala’s shadow presidency. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think it’s cute GRUhorn has been tasked with leaving the DT forum to post nonsense in CR about Biden being in the basement and senile and Kamala’s shadow presidency. 

He’s literally given 3 speeches and two press briefings in the last 7 days

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

He’s literally given 3 speeches and two press briefings in the last 7 days

Well, OK, sure, but he's only tweeted four times. Old Man Biden can't work a phone. Trump had so much energy he could send out ten times as many tweets before 4 AM. Stupid libtard.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Satchel said:

Then there this:

The number of children being held in by US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) has dropped 88% between late March and late April, according to government officials.

The decrease comes as a task force set up by President Joe Biden begins to reunite families that were separated under his predecessor Donald Trump's "zero tolerance" policy.

Mr Biden has urged migrants not to attempt to travel to the US border - "Don't leave your town or city or community," he has said - but with Mr Trump out of office, some believe immigration to the US is now more possible.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56405009

I'm sure the right wing media that was freaking out a month or so ago about this will be praising this turn of events.

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm sure the right wing media that was freaking out a month or so ago about this will be praising this turn of events.

giphy.gif

The so called liberal media did its fair share of pearl clutching too.

I think it's awesome that a) kids are not being held in cages to the tune of 88% fewer and b) illegal immigration is being curbed. I don't care if it was Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, Kamala Harris or Sarah Palin, at this point, just that the results are awesome. But we should give credit to Joe Biden where credit is due here, I say.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I think it's awesome that a) kids are not being held in cages to the tune of 88% fewer and b) illegal immigration is being curbed. I don't care if it was Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, Kamala Harris or Sarah Palin, at this point, just that the results are awesome. But we should give credit to Joe Biden where credit is due here, I say.

d468d418543a862e2f3aabd574359714.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

It’s the difference we experience when we elect a seasoned politician who knows how to work the machinery of government instead of an addled brain buffoon unqualified to be mayor of Hemphill, Texas

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

speaking of, there is like half a page of CR bitching...in the gotdamn Jake Ehlinger thread. what a buncha babies 🙄 

ETA: oops, that's on FB board. point stands, it's the same whiners.

Edited by mchookem

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Your trollling has gotten beyond tiresome.  Talk to someone who has been on unemployment and get back to us, jackass.

How am I trolling? I’m not the leader of the free world saying people need to get back to work. That’s the President. 

• Fuck You 2

14 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

How am I trolling? I’m not the leader of the free world saying people need to get back to work. That’s the President. 

How about that part where you said “Now we have a President who rarely speaks in public and people hardly pay attention to what he says.”

Trolling or lying?

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Dig into the "enforcement" aspect, jackass, as if you didn't know that this is part and parcel of unemployment benefits going back into the fucking stone ages.

Negged for being a troll.

5 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Are you really so devoid of mental acuity that you can't understand how an agency that can determine if someone is eligible for unemployment can also determine if that person has been offered and refused a suitable job?

3 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Are you really so devoid of mental acuity that you can't understand how an agency that can determine if someone is eligible for unemployment can also determine if that person has been offered and refused a suitable job?

How does that work?  Fortunately, I’ve never had to draw and can only think of 1 guy that might have.  I’d guess if an offer is made but not accepted, that’s as far as it goes.  I have heard you have to show proof of trying to find work but don’t know any details.  Honestly curious about the process.