COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

7 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Yeah Moderna #2 put me through 8 hours of hell but I’d do it again in a heartbeat 

More like 12 hours for me. But definitely worth it, because I’ve been having lots of unprotected sex in the Lubbock area and of all the tests I’ve had, not once have I tested positive for COVID.

Edited by South Austin

In hindsight, it wasn't really that bad...but second shot really did knock me on my ass for 36 hours.  But I bring that up because I'll be doing a booster sometime in late Autumn just based on S-proteins and overall timing.  And I was resigned to doing it on a Friday afternoon and just take rest of day off and then deal with the fallout that night and all day Saturday.  But it's College Football season, I can't be out of commission on Gameday.  

So I think either take it right after work on Thursday and deal with the shitty night's sleep and just work in bed on Friday, if at all.  Maybe feel a hint groggy on Saturday morning but I usually do anyway, but be up and at it by any early kickoff games.  Or find somewhere that'll prick me on a Sunday morning and take it easy that whole day and probably work from bed on Monday.  

tl; dr---plan your schedule wisely because the second shot and/or booster can fuck up your life for 12-36 hours.  Don't let it fuck up college football for you as well. 

I'm interested to read this thread when posters start reporting their booster reactions.  Seems like a good number of folks did fine the first shot, but were laid up to some degree by the second shot.  Can we assume that a third shot 6-8 months later might also make you feel bad?  I dunno.  But like Lobo said, better to schedule you booster away from work or social commitments if possible. 

54 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm interested to read this thread when posters start reporting their booster reactions.  Seems like a good number of folks did fine the first shot, but were laid up to some degree by the second shot.  Can we assume that a third shot 6-8 months later might also make you feel bad?  I dunno.  But like Lobo said, better to schedule you booster away from work or social commitments if possible. 

My 3rd shot caused the same aches, swollen arm and lethargy that the 2nd one did.  Went away overnight like the 2nd one did also.  The sore arm lasted about 5 or 6 days.

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

It looks like the floodgates are about to open for boosters. 

Yep, based on the quick replies on this thread.  I was thinking about getting my booster before attending ACL Fest, and I'm currently a little over six months out.  But I'm cutting it close to getting in with a couple days set aside to recover from any adverse reactions.  So I'll just wait until sometime after Texas v. OUsux.

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yep, based on the quick replies on this thread.  I was thinking about getting my booster before attending ACL Fest, and I'm currently a little over six months out.  But I'm cutting it close to getting in with a couple days set aside to recover from any adverse reactions.  So I'll just wait until sometime after Texas v. OUsux.

My primary motivation is to hopefully avoid getting a breakthrough infection while in Vegas that would hit me the morning of TX-OU.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

Savage.

Well she has a point.  Covid-19 is just a bad flu.  And we just surpassed more U.S. deaths from Covid-19 than we did from the 1918 Influenza Pandemic in the last few weeks.  So see?  It ended up being slightly worse than the flu.  How do you people not understand this?  

Of course, it only took us 18+ months to get there while the Spanish Flu took us over two years.  Which is impressive because the 1918-20 U.S. did not have access to much PPE, vaccination, and work/school from home optionality.  We managed to break our own record...we are Great Again!  Or Fucked Again.  Or Sick Again.  Or Dead Again.  

I dunno, I gotta book my booster after ACL.  

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

I had a third Pfizer dose two weeks ago. Less of a reaction than shot #2. Just felt off for a day. 

Two people I work with had a 3rd dose of Moderna two weeks ago. Both said it knocked them down much worse than the 2nd dose. Said it was like the flu turned up to 11 for about 24 hours. 

Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 years old what my Texas Cares antibody test results mean?  I keep seeing people mention that their results were in the 1000s but my results say I am positive for the Covid-19 Antibodies, Spike Protein with the quantitative results were at the 136 mark.  The SAR-CoV-2 total antibodies was negative (which I assume means I haven't had covid).  136 seems low.

16 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 years old what my Texas Cares antibody test results mean?  I keep seeing people mention that their results were in the 1000s but my results say I am positive for the Covid-19 Antibodies, Spike Protein with the quantitative results were at the 136 mark.  The SAR-CoV-2 total antibodies was negative (which I assume means I haven't had covid).  136 seems low.

I know a guy who does wills quick and cheap.  PM me if you would like his contact info.

Edited by conVINCEd

42 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Josey Wales gave you covid in that blood brother ceremony. I’m sure it wasn’t on purpose.

14 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Tell the world my story.

My heart is filled with joy when I see you here, as the brooks fill with water when the snow melts in the spring; and I feel glad, as the ponies do when the fresh grass starts in the beginning of the year. But there are things which you have said which I do not like. They were not sweet like sugar but bitter like gourds. If you had only had Moderna and masked up there might have been peace. But that which you now say is Pfizer is too small of a dose. The horse paste eaters have taken away the places where the grass grew the thickest and the timber was the best.  You're doomed to die on the great grass seas of the Llano Estacado.  Go in peace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

how are you alive and posting right now?

51 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Laurence Fishburne Sweet Jesus GIF by NETFLIX

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

For all they know you might need 1 anti-body to fight off covid.   I assume this is why so many scientists and doctors think the white house and CDC are premature on the boosters.

I’ve got a weird situation. I had Covid in January, second shot in April. 33 and very healthy. Seriously wondering if I’ll need a booster in December or before thanksgiving. I’ll probably just wait for more data to come out.
My folks had their third moderna shot about 3 weeks ago.
Have you done the UT antibody study?

I got one without medical advice and no prior infection 7 months after my second shot. Mentioned it to my doctor during a routine appointment yesterday. He responded, "Smart man."

I'm considering that to be retroactive approval and medical advice.

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Have you done the UT antibody study?

I got one without medical advice and no prior infection 7 months after my second shot. Mentioned it to my doctor during a routine appointment yesterday. He responded, "Smart man."

I'm considering that to be retroactive approval and medical advice.

Figured you had to be in Austin for it. I’d gladly do it.

5 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

I’ve got a weird situation. I had Covid in January, second shot in April. 33 and very healthy. Seriously wondering if I’ll need a booster in December or before thanksgiving. I’ll probably just wait for more data to come out.

My folks had their third moderna shot about 3 weeks ago.

People in your situation have demonstrated the most robust immunity of any group.  The reported breakthrough cases for recovered and vaxxed are the lowest of any category.  There have been several studies that show you are not only able to defeat COVID, but a couple of the cold like coronaviruses and even the original SARS virus.  At this point I don't see any reason for you to get a booster.

• Hook 'Em 2

You’re already dead…you just don’t know it yet.

15 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

So, Moderna is advocating for a 50 microgram booster, or so I read.

So the total delivered is not tree-fiddy, just one-fiddy, but seems fine.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/giacomotognini/2021/06/15/surging-moderna-stock-mints-the-vaccine-makers-fifth-billionaire/?sh=6cddb8ee2ee0

Right or wrong they're printing money at this point.

• Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, Dontshootrude said:

People in your situation have demonstrated the most robust immunity of any group.  The reported breakthrough cases for recovered and vaxxed are the lowest of any category.  There have been several studies that show you are not only able to defeat COVID, but a couple of the cold like coronaviruses and even the original SARS virus.  At this point I don't see any reason for you to get a booster.

So I’m walking around with a radioactive shield around myself? Sweet. Thanks for the information.