COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Methodist didnt give out cards for the first dose, but im sure ill get mine after the second dose (jan 10) and ill gladly post it here on that sunday, around 930 am (my second appt at methodist is at 9am)

Maybe they will let you in the employee line again. Maybe not.  

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Maybe they will let you in the employee line again. Maybe not.  

Why wouldnt they? Theyll ask my name, theyll pull me up in their system from the first shot, and then theyll give me the 2nd shot

In 2 months, everyone will who wants the vaccine in the US will be vaccinated and the major fight will be against those who do not want to be vaccinated

Weve had less than 10k people a day vaccinated in Texas

We currently have an excess of 340,000 vaccines right now. We’ll use em all, but I think yall underestimate the amount of healthcare providers that dont want the vaccine. MDs, a nurse manager, and a few surgeons I know are some of the people that are saying “im never going to get it.”

26 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol no it wasnt. I have friends (docs, nurses, scrub techs, people that work at Bloomberg, a friend who is a lawyer, and more) that have all received the vaccine already from that link (at methodist... not sent to them by me but by mutual friends) and by simply showing up to those facilities (HCA, ben taub, methodist) as word got out that they had excess.

Im not a methodist employee and got mine. Not only do they not care, but they have extra. 

like i said 2 weeks ago, the vaccine distribution in this country is fucking hilariously pathetic and asinine. How/why we havent prepared for this with every second of every day for the past 9 months is beyond me

what city is this?

48 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I will say in GPs defense got a buddy whose wife works in an eye clinic over in Collin County.  Not front line medical mind you....office work.  They are lined up to get it next week because they have excess in the system not being used and it got floated to them.

My anesthesiologist friend does work at 10+ or so local DFW hospitals.  One of the larger ones where he does a lot had Pfizer vaccines and were very regimented about setting up appointment times and dates.  His date was for 5 or so days in the future.  Next day the hospital was starting to do vaccinations and realized they had thawed out 100 or more shots which was way more than the appointments.  Realizing they had 6 hours to give them they sent out an emergency email telling everyone who could to come get a shot if they could as soon as possible.  

He drove in and got one.  

The Pfizer vaccine has to be stored at -80C to -60C so they probably put too many in the regular freezer. Or they told someone to grab a box and they grabbed a box of ten vials instead of one without someone realizing the mistake until it was too late.

When I call bs on greens points story, I’m not claiming that he didn’t get a vaccine shot. I’m claiming that he got into a hospital employee line in order to get it when he doesn’t work there. Using personal contacts to jump the line is no different than a wealthy person buying the vaccine. And it’s bullshit that he recommends others do the same and not listen to the state health officials’ rules.

or should the 50% of the population that want the vaccine all rush every hospital and demand the vaccine today?

and if I’m wrong about greenspoint, perhaps someone can post a story where the vaccine is available for anyone that wants it. I already know the answer to that.

On 12/26/2020 at 10:22 PM, ABSR said:

My anesthesiologist friend does work at 10+ or so local DFW hospitals.  One of the larger ones where he does a lot had Pfizer vaccines and were very regimented about setting up appointment times and dates.  His date was for 5 or so days in the future.  Next day the hospital was starting to do vaccinations and realized they had thawed out 100 or more shots which was way more than the appointments.  Realizing they had 6 hours to give them they sent out an emergency email telling everyone who could to come get a shot if they could as soon as possible.  

He drove in and got one.  

ALL of these places need to have a go-to text list of willing arms ready to drive to wherever the shots are available.  Especially the Pfizer places.

Is it OK to wake me up at 4am?  Sure, Austin ISD does that a few times a year to tell me it's not icy outside but school is off anyway.  Call me hospital people, I'll be right over.

I understand that this is in start-up mode right now and they are learning how to do this but they need to drive any chance of waste out of the system.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

When I call bs on greens points story, I’m not claiming that he didn’t get a vaccine shot. I’m claiming that he got into a hospital employee line in order to get it when he doesn’t work there. 

Methodist has started vaccinating non-employees. I can’t speak to whether or not they’re vaccinating anyone and everyone at the moment, but I can definitively say they are vaccinating non-employees that work in the healthcare industry.

Fathers sisters brothers uncles nieces stepdad said their allergist got some vaccine and told them to come get a shot, and they did. They’re over 65 but damn just shows you how the distribution plan is do whatever the fuck you want. 
Honestly not even bothered by it as long as it's getting into someone's arm. By May everyone who wants one will have opportunity to get one, as long as we're getting all the doses into people.

Just now, BradInATX said:
3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:
Fathers sisters brothers uncles nieces stepdad said their allergist got some vaccine and told them to come get a shot, and they did. They’re over 65 but damn just shows you how the distribution plan is do whatever the fuck you want. 

Honestly not even bothered by it as long as it's getting into someone's arm. By May everyone who wants one will have opportunity to get one, as long as we're getting all the doses into people.

Kind of the same...I'm more galled that with 470K doses in hand and what looks like a total of 1.2M so far allocated to the state that in two weeks we have only punched skin on 147K folks.  That's 10K a day.  That sucks balls.

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Yeah, and according the map/link, the closest 3 HEBs to me have the vaccine.  As a 50yo Surly non-1%er, do I just go up and ask if they can hook a brotha mutha up with some vaccine goodness and see what happens?  Sure I'm not super high risk or a front line worker who needs it more than me, but if those places are just sitting on the shit, isn't it better that SOMEONE gets it right away?

Kind of the same...I'm more galled that with 470K doses in hand and what looks like a total of 1.2M so far allocated to the state that in two weeks we have only punched skin on 147K folks.  That's 10K a day.  That sucks balls.
Same. What do we know about that data? Assuming the delta isn't all going to waste. And I'm pretty confident there is reporting lag.

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Same. What do we know about that data? Assuming the delta isn't all going to waste. And I'm pretty confident there is reporting lag.

You can read all about it here

https://tabexternal.dshs.texas.gov/t/THD/views/COVID-19VaccineinTexasDashboard/AbouttheData?%3Aorigin=card_share_link&%3Aembed=y&%3AisGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y&%3Amobile=true&%3AdeepLinkingDisabled=y

Got mine late in the day today at Houston Methodist in the Med Center. Very efficient operation and I overheard some of the staff saying that they needed to get some more people in before they closed so that they don't waste any doses. I almost called my wife waiting in the car to see if they would put a shot in her arm even though she's not a 1A priority group. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Haha.

Not going to be shocked if I know where this was

went in for my regular allergy shot today and heard the nurse calling folks asking if they wanted a vaccine.

meanwhile, a couple of minutes later, two senior citizens walked in and told the receptionist. Hi, we’re here to see the Doctor. He’s expecting us.

good for them 

I’m hoping that the reported #s are much lower than actual because the reported #s are pathetic.

but then again I knew people in early days of covid that refused to wear masks because of “muh rights” but they eventually came around since they were in Houston. I imagine more people than that are scared of the vaccine, whether conspiracy theories, fear testing was lacking, or even that potential covid illness wouldn’t be so bad for them.

I can only imagine the opinions in rural Texas.

I'm glad I have the day off today. Things got rough around 4a. I've been up since that time with diarrhea, vomiting, chills and body ache. Don't regret getting the vaccine, but will definitely be prepared again for the second round by taking the next day off.

15 minutes ago, royiv said:

I'm glad I have the day off today. Things got rough around 4a. I've been up since that time with diarrhea, vomiting, chills and body ache. Don't regret getting the vaccine, but will definitely be prepared again for the second round by taking the next day off.

Sorry to hear it. Which vaccine did you get it?

I had Pfizer and luckily just has mild discomfort pain at the injection shot. I know that doesn’t mean that the 2nd will be the same. Going in on a Saturday just in case. 

I had the chills late yesterday afternoon until around the time I went to bed.  Nothing terrible, just felt cold all evening.  Feel back to normal today other than a sore arm.  My dad got it yesterday also and he didn't have any effects at all.

Edited by kevwun

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sorry to hear it. Which vaccine did you get it?

I had Pfizer and luckily just has mild discomfort pain at the injection shot. I know that doesn’t mean that the 2nd will be the same. Going in on a Saturday just in case. 

I got Pfizer.

5 hours ago, Burt said:

My wife got the first round of Moderna Monday morning. I thought about making her microchipped ass sleep in the shed tonight. I got a BJ instead so maybe the Qs were right about it changing ones DNA.

If the pandemic and vaccine crack the wife blowjob code than it will all have been worth it.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Map from Texas DSHS showing what orgs have received vaccine:

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=91ac7fb5e5fd47e7ada4acfe4a05920a

Having seen this earlier today I saw an HEB pharmacy near my dad (who qualifies for 1B) that was listed.  I told him and he called them.  They informed him that this site was not accurate and that they did not have any vaccines.

9 hours ago, Burt said:

My wife got the first round of Moderna Monday morning. I thought about making her microchipped ass sleep in the shed tonight. I got a BJ instead so maybe the Qs were right about it changing ones DNA.

Not sure if reporting that as a side effect or keeping it secret is the proper play here. 

I have mine scheduled for Monday at HEB, hopefully they’ll be open. I’ve heard some other colleagues having issues scheduling to get one because they’re being told PTs aren’t eligible. Which makes no sense. I checked the official Texas website and it says we may be in the second tier of 1A, which makes absolutely no sense. So like 1Ab?

On 12/26/2020 at 9:07 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

So, no evidence.  Maybe you snuck into an employee line to get a vaccine. Doesn’t mean that they won’t realize what you’re doing and won’t give you a second dose.  Or maybe you can convince someone to give you a dose.  Good luck with that. 

I know at least one of the hospitals is doing this in north Texas. For the Pfizer vaccine it gets shipped from the super cold central freezer in dry ice and it can only be kept a few days at that temp. Once it is thawed and reconstituted (5 doses at a time) you have to use it so they definitely put out a call to come get a dose if they have extras. You get a Pfizer card and can come back for your second dose or get it elsewhere. Helps to know someone who works at a facility to get a heads up on when they have extras

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

I know at least one of the hospitals is doing this in north Texas. For the Pfizer vaccine it gets shipped from the super cold central freezer in dry ice and it can only be kept a few days at that temp. Once it is thawed and reconstituted (5 doses at a time) you have to use it so they definitely put out a call to come get a dose if they have extras. You get a Pfizer card and can come back for your second dose or get it elsewhere. Helps to know someone who works at a facility to get a heads up on when they have extras

I assume this is how I got the option to get the Pfizer vaccine so early.  I'm a judicial branch employee.  I assumed I would get the shot in April at the earliest and had not put in for any waiting lists, despite my wife's being immune compromised.  I just got the email this morning for me to let them know if I was interested and to pick a time off a schedule.  I responded immediately and showed up where I was told.  I mean, I wasn't going to seek it out, but I'm not going to say "no" either.  It wasn't crowded, and I'm guessing I got some Pfizer milk that was about to expire. 

Edited by dcbc

Weve had less than 10k people a day vaccinated in Texas

We currently have an excess of 340,000 vaccines right now. We’ll use em all, but I think yall underestimate the amount of healthcare providers that dont want the vaccine. MDs, a nurse manager, and a few surgeons I know are some of the people that are saying “im never going to get it.”
There are idiots in every profession.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1