Markets still falling like whoa

1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

I am close to hitting pre-corona levels. This is an insane market. But I have been in almost 30 years, not leaving it now.

I'm up if you can believe that.  Most is in S&P Index funds and I use individual retail stocks as a hedge.  (They do better in bad times.)  I'm up all around on everything.  

I have a decent amount of cash I was about to pull the trigger on but everything went back up so fast.  We have 30% unemployment and certain industries are ruined but Wall Street gonna Wall Street.

I came to post that I know nothing about the stock market.  Not even the most basic.... if the world economy completely stops, stocks go down. If the economy is good, stocks go up. I know nothing. Not a damn thing. I will never believe I know even the most basic fundamentals of how it works.  Not now, not ever. I did change my 401k in March to 75/25 stocks bond from 30/70. But I didn't put in my main money market account . I am a bit frustrated to day the least. 

Is today just another quick pullback before the market starts to rip faces off shorts again or is this the beginning of "sell in May and go away"?  I think the market not going straight to the moon after another worse than expected unemployment report is the first indication of weakness in six weeks.

AMZN / AAPL earnings after the close could be the start of a "sell the news" that starts a small pullback at least.

20 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

I came to post that I know nothing about the stock market.  Not even the most basic.... if the world economy completely stops, stocks go down. If the economy is good, stocks go up. I know nothing. Not a damn thing. I will never believe I know even the most basic fundamentals of how it works.  Not now, not ever. I did change my 401k in March to 75/25 stocks bond from 30/70. But I didn't put in my main money market account . I am a bit frustrated to day the least. 

The previous explanation (which was also a meme) was that the market is forward looking and priced everything in, hence its resiliency.

A plausible explanation now is that the market is absolutely not forward looking enough, hence it showing a blind eye to the impending economic destruction and keep rising..... until it gets absolutely bludgeoned in the fucking head in Q2/Q3.

The third working explanation is that it's simply retarded.

23 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

LOL, for some reason I was watching the AAPL post-market trades and it was down around 291.  Glanced away from the screen for a second, looked back and it was at 299.  Yep, efficient markets, friends.

That was when earnings hit. 

27 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Holy shit!  Boeing doing a $25bn bond offering, and alleged demand was for up to $70bn

Any word on the rate they had to pay?  Never mind, here is a snippet:

The longest portion, a 40-year security, will yield 4.625 percentage points above Treasuries, after first discussing around 5.5 percentage points, the people said, asking not to be identified as the details are private.

Those initial risk premiums are more in line with junk-rated companies, and will “get the greed juices flowing,” said David Knutson, head of credit research for the Americas at Schroder Investment Management.

And no way 4.625% above treasuries is properly pricing BA risk 40 years out.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

45 minutes ago, The People’s Elbow said:

Berkshire is now sitting on $128 billion in cash (market cap is $455 billion). I'd say Buffet gets the message loud and clear. That crusty old bastard is probably salivating at the upcoming bargains and outright rapings he will dole out in the future. 

According to that chart people should have sat out of the market from 2014 until now

The one extremely important factor that metric doesn’t consider is US company international business and these days that’s important for every US company. So it’s hard to know if it’s too high and if so, how much it’s overvalued. It probably is, but maybe not as much as the metric indicates.

Methinks the market is just starting to roll over and, ultimately, we go to 1700-1800.  Am positioned in CV stocks and added to my SOXS position in the 8's.  Stocks closed out April with their best month since 1987.  Stop the madness.

Was wondering when you’d come back.