Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

extremely incorrect, although he does a masterful job of controlling his public image. you'd be livid if you knew some of the stuff he did to some of his players here. i'm talking objectively fucked up and cynical, mean spirited things, for no reason at all. and there are several others here who know exactly what i'm talking about. ive referenced it several times before, and as always, i'd love to share, but to do so would be betraying the trust of the players involved, so i'm never going to publicly post any details. you can take my word for it or leave it, but Shaka has a side to him that most have no clue exists.

The only thing I truly know about Shaka is that he sucks as a basketball coach. Saw it with my own eyes.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/21/2021 at 10:14 AM, shadow_operative said:

maybe i'm too cynical to be objective, but humor me here: How long do you think that phone call lasted? Three minutes? And yet they say it made Chris Beard late to his introductory press conference. Shaka could have called Beard to say this stuff at any time, but he chose to call Beard just moments before his introductory press conference at Texas where he was replacing Shaka Smart. That's obviously not a coincidence or just happenstance, and therefore i have trouble seeing it as the nice gesture that it's being reported to be. 

What was Shaka's motivation in calling Beard moments before he officially took Shaka's job- i don't know. Did he want Beard to tell everyone at the press conference how he'd called Beard to wish him well and offer his help? Was he trying to rattle him? again, i don't know, because my brain could never work the way that Shaka Smart's brain does. Shaka's a weird fucking dude who is really into playing mind games with people. while i doubt that his dubiously timed call actually had any effect on Beard at all, the fact that he chose to make that call at that moment says that it wasn't the genuine well wishes/i'm here for you type call that it's being reported as. 

5HR.gif

• Haha 3

IT had this on the scrimmage.

Due to NCAA rules, there aren’t patrons in the stands at the scrimmages. What IT has learned is that Texas was pleased with the results. The Longhorns scrimmaged a Houston team that has the look of a top 25 team this season. That team plays very hard, had a couple of offensive threats to deal with as a team defensively, were disciplined on both ends and have a Hall of Fame level coach in Kelvin Sampson.

The Longhorns had several players play well on Saturday. Marcus Carr, Timmy Allen, Christian Bishop and Andrew Jones were mentioned. Jones' perimeter shots weren't dropping, but he continues to improve on both ends of the court.

The team has taken the coaching and understanding of what is expected defensively of them to the court thus far. The scrimmage Saturday was pleasing to the staff in that regard. The staff is not worried about the offensive capabilities of this team, and continues to be extremely happy with complete buy-in.

Transfer forward Dylan Disu didn’t take part in the scrimmage. There is a decent chance that the 6-foot-9 four-man will be fully released the week of the first game, and would likely play a few minutes to shake the rust off in game situations. Texas' season opener is November 9. The hope is that Disu gets a couple of weeks of full-go practice in prior to the Gonzaga game November 13.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I'm glad they have the scrimmages, but stupid NCAA rules mean you aren't going to get too many specifics. 

sure, but Jeff Goodman for example, who has connections inside our program, was able to tweet that Duke beat Nova and that Paolo Banchero had like 27 and 13 or something, the day after scrimmage took place. and twitter is free.

53 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

sure, but Jeff Goodman for example, who has connections inside our program, was able to tweet that Duke beat Nova and that Paolo Banchero had like 27 and 13 or something, the day after scrimmage took place. and twitter is free.

I don't know about connections, but Jon Rothstein's Twitter feed is usually full of good information, too.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Gerry H said it wasn't a 40 minute game, just situational segments. 

That's why you have these scrimmages.  Coaches know what they need to work on and that's why they want to work against another team. You can have a scrimmage where you get points for offensive rebounds, not letting a team score, etc. Its not just playing a game.

• Hook 'Em 1

if you hate yourself enough to read it (i was barely able to skim through it without wanting to punch a wall), one of our posters here (BWG) has released his yearly "State of the Program" piece.

https://bitterwhiteguy.substack.com/p/state-of-the-program-marquette

it's about nine paragraphs of BWG describing the most inane details of his psyche, his childhood, and how his parents messed him up, followed by another nine paragraphs about how Beard sucks. enjoy! 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

if you hate yourself enough to read it (i was barely able to skim through it without wanting to punch a wall), one of our posters here (BWG) has released his yearly "State of the Program" piece.

https://bitterwhiteguy.substack.com/p/state-of-the-program-marquette

it's about nine paragraphs of BWG describing the most inane details of his psyche, his childhood, and how his parents messed him up, followed by another nine paragraphs about how Beard sucks. enjoy! 

You're a better man than I.  Not even going to try.  But I did wade through the entire CBSSports NCAA BB 1-358 rankings of all D-1 teams.  Which may qualify me for being demented.

an excerpt:

I am not a person who emotionally invests easily. Call it a consequence of Dad’s often implied but occasionally explicit “they can’t fuck you over if you don’t let them in” worldview winning out against Mom’s more emotionally accepting perspective as I grew up, or me not having the emotional intelligence to learn how to properly govern how much or little I care about a given person/team/subject, or whatever demons lie waiting behind door number three, but I tend to stay pretty guarded about a lot of the world. Add in how many times I’ve been burned by Texas Longhorns sports over the years - I’m writing this after many of you watched the Razorbacks teabag the football team, ‘sup - and it’s rare that I emotionally buy into a team. The 2020-2021 Texas basketball team was the exception; it wasn’t just that I thought they were going to be legitimately good, but we spent the last half-decade watching this program almost put things together only to fall short for one reason or another and Texas was finally ready to achieve its goals. They spent the better part of the season hitting the lofty marks they had set, with the only real stumbles a result of COVID running through the locker room like a toddler holding a knife for the first time with no parents around. All the signs were pointing to the Longhorns finding success in March, even winning the Big 12 conference tournament for the first time ever. For success-starved basketball fans like myself, this was it. Then Abilene Christian happened.

So here I am, not getting a clean break so much as being told the coach whose style I compared to a very effective colonoscopy not 6 months ago is now the guy in charge of the program. The guy who most recently made Sportscenter for throwing himself on the court in a tantrum over a charge call is now the guy I get to watch 30+ times a season.

the entire piece is just more of this nonsense. click the link and read it all if you dare. 

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Chris Beard is the obvious hire for people who care about wins and having a guy who Clearly Cares About Basketball; and for those who bounced on Shaka early, it’s entirely understandable why you gravitated towards the guy who looks like Barnes if you squint a little. 

I do like wins and coaches who clearly care about basketball! 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Haven’t read through the first couple of paragraphs, but this guy’s bit continues to be amazing.   Beard was our best sports hire since Augie Garrido BEFORE he absolutely crushed the transfer portal and recruiting.  We’ve got a national championship contending team this year when most coaches would have been completely fucked and staring down the barrel of a sub .500 year.  

We’ve had shitty sports experiences for a decade, and we finally get someone with a real track record and who just crushes it immediately beyond any reasonable expectations, and BWG chooses THAT guy to trash.  His sports fandom is broken.

he's a shaka smart STAN of nearly unbelievable proportions, and his huge beef with Chris Beard is...his offense??

• Haha 3

He finishes that lovely piece with this line. "So let’s get the season started, maybe we’re all pleasantly surprised."

Dude. We're ranked in the top five. A lot of people are picking us to go to the Final Four. That's something you say when you start the season unranked and picked to finish 9th in conference.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I think underachievement for Beard would have to be a total flop with this group. If something wild happens and Texas loses in the first round of the NCAA tournament or finishes fourth or fifth in the Big 12, I think a lot of the naysayers will take the "I told you so" approach. But I don't see that happening.

read that part again. and again. and again. Beard hasn't coached a single game at Texas, and we're talking about finishing 4th or 5th (done 4/6 times under Shaka) and losing in the first round of the tourney (0 wins under Shaka, missed out on 3/6 tourneys) as being "a total flop". i just continue to pinch myself. the ACU loss was our most recent game! we haven't even played a single game since then and yet the w worts are over going, "i can't imagine Texas not competing for the league and winning games in the tourney. like, what?! it's still so surreal. god i can't wait for this season to get here!

• Hook 'Em 3

The 2022 recruitment class keeps looking better and better, it proves that Beard can do more than work magic in the portal. 4th rated 5 star PG? Check. 8th rated 5 star SF? Check. You have to assume a highly successful debut season for Beard could go a long ways with potential recruits like Traore and Wallace.

4 minutes ago, Chad said:

The 2022 recruitment class keeps looking better and better, it proves that Beard can do more than work magic in the portal. 4th rated 5 star PG? Check. 8th rated 5 star SF? Check. You have to assume a highly successful debut season for Beard could go a long ways with potential recruits like Traore and Wallace.

I like what he is doing. Can't wait to see Beard roll.

3 hours ago, Chad said:

Supposedly Wallace is making his decision soon and it's going to be Kentucky. Traore would be a nice final piece to the 2022 HS class.

Gerry thinks that most of the portal guys are going to be here for 2 years, so a smaller HS class makes sense, especially since Beard will go into the portal again next season.

I'm not sure if I'm buying all the media guys take that we are a championship contender.  We are deep at every position but don't have one guy that's better than a 50/50 shot to make a career in the NBA (collectively a couple guys probably will).  I think you need at least one of those types to legitimately be one.  I'd take a 3/4 seed and Sweet 16 appearance this year.  I think Beard really gets cooking with gas next season.  This looks to me to be a transition year that I'm not as rosy on as the media.  I think the only way we exceed that level is if Carr is better than advertised. 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

I'm not sure if I'm buying all the media guys take that we are a championship contender.  We are deep at every position but don't have one guy that's better than a 50/50 shot to make a career in the NBA (collectively a couple guys probably will).  I think you need at least one of those types to legitimately be one.  I'd take a 3/4 seed and Sweet 16 appearance this year.  I think Beard really gets cooking with gas next season.  This looks to me to be a transition year that I'm not as rosy on as the media.  I think the only way we exceed that level is if Carr is better than advertised. 

I believe that a lot of our potential success depends on how quickly each young man embraces his role for the benefit of the team. If that happens quickly, watch out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVim56QNsIg/?utm_medium=copy_link

the more i follow this program on social media, all i continue to see is everyone- from the top down- Beard, assistants, and players alike- talking about how they believe that this team is special and how we are aiming for a national title. i can't even describe how much i love that. i loved that Barnes treated his players like men, and that expectations for both the players and the team were talked about, directly and openly, to the point where it was public record. Shaka was the exact opposite, with his platitudes and coachspeak and caginess won't the media, and we suffered for it.

i won't be able to judge this team's true potential until i've seen them play at least a few conference games together, but i LOVE, L-O-V-E that this program has back to comporting itself like a bunch of grown men, who are brave enough and who work hard to confidently say, "yeah; we're really really good, and we not only expect to win, but we'll tell you that to your face, because we know how to pay the price, and we aren't scared of expectations." it's an absolutely necessary culture shift, and it gives me so much hope moving forward.

19 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

LOL.  Sending this to my buddy that is a die hard Kentucky fan so he loses his mind.  He despised him at Kentucky and is adamant he'll never amount to anything.  We'll see who is right I guess.  I'll be more than fine if he just ends up a quality player at Texas.