Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

4 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Y’all thinking banks is flipping to this shit show are off your rocker. He may very well decommit because he wants to stay home, but he’s much more likely to end up at aggy than Texas.

Now I know for a fact Texas still communicates with him often, and he may have indicated that he’s considering staying in state after all, but doubt that means Texas is in the drivers seat. 

he didn't show up for aggys game vs auburn like most thought too.. yet he still attended the UT game saturday..  We can still be off our rocker, thinking he flips to us, but there's at least a reasonable chance that we are still in it

7 hours ago, SarksJuggs said:

Does Brandon Harris even know what he’s doing or what, holy shit

59 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Talking to some of my sources last night. It is indeed flipmas szn 

he never said they were flipping to us...

Edited by Viper
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Y’all thinking banks is flipping to this shit show are off your rocker. He may very well decommit because he wants to stay home, but he’s much more likely to end up at aggy than Texas.

Now I know for a fact Texas still communicates with him often, and he may have indicated that he’s considering staying in state after all, but doubt that means Texas is in the drivers seat. 

Incorrect. He’s always preferred Texas to aggy

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

My brother listened to an interview with the new tech coach McGuire and he mentioned something insightful about rhule. Rhule’s philosophy was to stay in 25-30 range overall and target hungry players who were willing to do whatever it takes to be successful. Basically the top tier guys Baylor could get would have to big a miss ratio so he went after the guys they could get guaranteed then have a roster full of kids who were hard workers. It seems to have paid off for him and aranda is seeing the fruits of that strategy now I think. 

Ruhle also did a LOT around measurables, getting guys who were top athletes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Look...

I don't know if Sark is the right head coach or not, but I do know that guys like PK, Bo Davis, Flood, Banks, Choate, and Drayton didn't suddenly forget how to coach overnight. And it's not like these guys are jabronis from mid-majors like the previous HFC's staffs were.

OK, maybe Choate was, but anyway...

Kinda where I'm at on all of this. And we acknowledged all offseason (and also tried to ignore) that we still don't have an offensive line, or linebackers, or wide receivers... then we come out and play like we don't have an offensive line, any linebackers, and lost two of the WRs we didn't have anyway. On top a young DL that doesn't have much depth and.... looking back this should have been at least considered.

Now obviously this doesn't mean I think Sark is the right guy, or that there shouldn't be staff changes etc... It's just that looking back, maybe I thought this roster was better than it actually is.

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Orangebloods recruiting video was dropped overnight and Cole Patterson said that Texas is recruiting Campbell, Dewberry, Neto, and Banks as a group and pretty much said dewberry and Campbell want to play with each other and hinted that Campbell was in. Succomel said that Banks was "very" receptive to Texas' Pitch. It was generally a very positive show.

Here's the Video:

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Kinda where I'm at on all of this. And we acknowledged all offseason (and also tried to ignore) that we still don't have an offensive line, or linebackers, or wide receivers... then we come out and play like we don't have an offensive line, any linebackers, and lost two of the WRs we didn't have anyway. On top a young DL that doesn't have much depth and.... looking back this should have been at least considered.

Now obviously this doesn't mean I think Sark is the right guy, or that there shouldn't be staff changes etc... It's just that looking back, maybe I thought this roster was better than it actually is.

I agree with that.  But I would just go ahead and throw the DL in there with the we don't have.  They are just as bad as the OL.

But at least Bo looks to have some players coming. 

Gerry:

The Texas Longhorns’ recruiting class will be largely judged on the ability to close on the offensive line. 

The good news for Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood is that the Longhorns are making positive progress. 

The Longhorns currently have a pair of interior offensive line commitments in On300 No. 253 Connor Robertson (Austin, Texas/Westlake) and Cole Hutson (Frisco, Texas). 

There are seven top targets remaining on the offensive line with a numbers game in play. Should the Longhorns win out for three or four, the future of the offensive line in Austin begins to look brighter. There is no doubt what the sell is on the recruiting front – the ability to compete right away. 

Texas working to flip an Oregon commitment

Kelvin Banks, OT, Humble (Texas) Summer Creek

Banks and family enjoyed the trip to Texas quite a bit last weekend. The On3 Consensus five-star can see the ability to compete for a starting job very early in Austin. If Banks were to eventually flip, it would very much be a family decision. The thought of playing at Oregon still appeals to the 6-foot-5, 300-pounder. If not for family reasons, this recruitment would not likely be in play. But they are definitely a factor in a final decision for Banks. Banks is the only true left tackle prospect on the board for Texas, and that makes this recruitment massive for Sarkisian and staff. 

Cameron Williams, OT/IOL, Duncanville (Texas)

The 6-foot-5, 375-pounder with an over 80-inch wingspan and 10.5-inch hands was back on campus on Saturday with a family member. Getting a read on Williams can be difficult, but this is the lone trip he has made this season. So that is a data point in the Longhorns’ favor. With that being said, this flip is a long shot as of today.

Texas has to hit on at least one from this list

Devon Campbell, IOL, Arlington (Texas) Bowie

Campbell and family are familiar and comfortable at Texas and in Austin. A visit to Georgia still is likely ahead of a January 2 decision at the Under Armour All-America Game. Alabama and Oklahoma remain in play. USC’s continued coaching search hurts what was a serious threat to the schools closer to home. 

Kam Dewberry, IOL/OT, Humble (Texas) Atascocita

The On3 Consensus top 100 prospect’s recruitment continues to narrow its focus to closer to home. There is some chatter among prospects in the Houston area that Texas may have a slight advantage over Texas A&M right now. Oklahoma is running right there in the race. Dewberry is a media savvy prospect that will play a wise game, even with other prospects. Texas made a very strong push over the weekend. Texas A&M is yet to make their final push leading up to an expected December 15 announcement. If something were to push Texas over the top, it would be seeing the ability to compete for a starting spot as a freshman. 

Neto Umeozulu, OT/IOL, Allen (Texas)

This is a tough recruitment to read, and Neto wouldn’t have it any other way. The 6-foot-4, 285-pound devastating run blocker relishes the possibility to compete for a starting spot from day one. That is obviously a selling point for the Texas program with a number of these guys. The latest in a long line of nationally recruited offensive line prospects from Allen has also made official visits to Oklahoma and Alabama this season. He visited USC in June. 

Out of state targets

Earnest Greene, IOL, Bellflower (Calif.) Saint John Bosco

Georgia is the leader for the On3 Consensus 4-star guard prospect unless Ohio State pulls the upset. The Buckeyes were the favorite entering the process. Texas remains in the mix behind the two favorites as of last week. The USC hire could potentially play a part in this recruitment in December. 

Malik Agbo, IOL, Federal Way (Wa.) Todd Beamer

The On3 Consensus four-star guard prospect is likely headed south for a big time college football experience. That places Texas squarely in the mix, as well as Auburn. A final official to Florida November 27 remains a possibility. The hires at Washington and USC could potentially impact this recruitment. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

FWIW I just texted an Aggy buddy who has a good source on their end. He has called every recruitment right so far this cycle. They believe its truly 50/50 with Dewberry. It's not just smoke with him, he is fully in play. 

If the Campbell Dewberry thing is true then IDK? 

Oklahoma for both? But I'm down in my feels because Kansas and 7WS

Edited by BurntOrange&White

33 minutes ago, Viper said:

There's just no way I buy all this recruiting sunshine the services are selling right now.

I mean, it may just be subscription drive season leading into signing day, but all the services have been uniformly bullish reporting the reactions of the recruits who were at the game on Saturday. Completely counter-intuitive to what happened in the game. 

7 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I really wish that we could get Williams 6'7 375 is something that we haven't seen here in a long time

3 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Leonard Davis was pretty good.

I'm not sure even Davis was that big.

And Jonathan Scott was the other guy this century that was just a massive human on the line.

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Could Sark bring Carrington back?

doubt it. He is loyal to Tom. Cooper Patenga at 247 who was former Director of Recruiting for Washington and Oregon is who came to mind immediately for me. But I bet sark blitzes that USC support staff. He wants a west coast presence. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

doubt it. He is loyal to Tom. Cooper Patenga at 247 who was former Director of Recruiting for Washington and Oregon is who came to mind immediately for me. But I bet sark blitzes that USC support staff. He wants a west coast presence. 

I would think he'd take a look at Kerry Colbert as wr coach.

Decommit Season

By: @Jeremy Crabtree 

Decommitment season: 20 recruits who could flip before early signing period

As the calendar shifts to mid-November, we're knee-deep in "decommitment season." On3 looks at 20 recruits who could change pledges before signing day.

www.on3.com

WR Jordan Hudson – SMU commit

Background: Garland (Texas) High
On3 Consensus Ranking: No. 100
The Skinny: Jordan Hudson has already made one decommitment and flip, from Oklahoma to SMU, so it’s not outlandish to think he could do it again. This time, there’s plenty of smoke that Texas has become a major factor in his recruitment. Hudson canceled a scheduled official visit to the Forty Acres on Oct. 16. But there is speculation that SMU running backs coach Ra’Shaad Samples, Hudson’s lead recruiter with the Mustangs, is going to be a hot target for different schools in the offseason.

If Samples leaves, the odds are slim Hudson stays true with SMU. There’s also been recent speculation that SMU head coach Sonny Dykes will be a candidate for the job at TCU or another one of the openings that will pop up in the next few weeks.

If Dykes bolts for TCU and Samples joins him, then the Horned Frogs could get a commit on the spot

Flip forecast: 45%

OT Kelvin Banks – Oregon commit

Background: Humble (Texas) Summer Creek
On3 Consensus Ranking: No. 18
The Skinny: Kelvin Banks made national headlines when spurned local schools Texas and Texas A&M to commit to Mario Cristobal and the Oregon Ducks on July 4. Texas, which needs franchise offensive linemen like Banks, has yet to relent in its pursuit of the Houston area star. Neither has Texas A&M. Intel indicates there are some family dynamics that might keep Banks close to home. If they play out, that could mean good news for the Longhorns or Aggies and bad news for the Ducks.

Flip forecast: 40%

QB Devin Brown – USC commit

Background: Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon
On3 Consensus Ranking: No. 59
The Skinny: Devin Brown says he’s still committed to USC. But until the Trojans have a coach, other schools – namely Ole Miss, Texas, Ohio State, BYU and UCLA – aren’t going to stop pursuing him. Brown raved about his official visit in October to Ole Miss, and he also gave the visit last weekend to Texas high marks. He’s also scheduled to be in Columbus for the Michigan State game. Brown still says all the right things about USC and his commitment, but who the Trojans hire likely will go a long way toward where he officially lands. His recruitment feels like one that has plenty of twists left before he signs with somebody.

Flip forecast: 40%

CB Jaylon Guilbeau – TCU commit

On3 Consensus Ranking: No. 147
The Skinny: With TCU still searching for a head coach and Houston ramping up its pursuit, Jaylon Guilbeau is a prime candidate to make a decommitment and flip. Texas is also monitoring, but the Longhorns have yet to go all-in on their pursuit. Guilbeau has indicated he’d like to see who gets the job in Fort Worth. But it’s pretty clear he’s entertaining other schools at this point.

Flip forecast: 40%

RB Jamarion Miller – Texas commit

Background: Tyler (Texas) Legacy
On3 Consensus Ranking: No. 96
The Skinny: Jamarion Miller – the leading rusher in the storied history at Tyler Legacy High School – has been a longtime commitment to Texas. However, he took a quickly organized official visit to Alabama at the end of October and came away impressed with the Crimson Tide. “You know it’s a great school up there,” Miller told Inside Texas. “Especially going out there to see the game and meeting the Alabama staff. The coaches up there are cool. You know, we just had a great time. I like how they use the running backs. I have a good relationship with the coaches.”

Nick Saban talks with Miller weekly and is putting on the full-court press. There’s also talk about another official visit to another school that’s yet to be determined. With some of the Longhorns’ struggles on the field this season, this could be a recruitment to watch.

But there’s also an opportunity for him to play early in Austin, so that’s a positive selling point for Texas. Even so, this is something to monitor for a potential decommitment and flip.

Flip forecast: 20%

CB Terrance Brooks – Ohio State commit

Background: Little Elm (Texas) High
On3 Consensus Ranking: No. 37
The Skinny: Terrance Brooks committed to Ohio State after a round of official visits this summer to OSU, Alabama, Florida, Oregon and Texas. Brooks continues to say publicly that he’s all in with the Buckeyes. But he’s also continuing to talk to coaches at other schools, especially the Longhorns. If Texas coach Steve Sarkisian pulls this off, it would be a massive decommitment – especially with the way the Longhorns have struggled on the field this season. It also would signal that you can’t just walk into Texas and take the state’s top prospects anymore.

But there’s been little public sign of a decommitment at this point.

Flip forecast: 10%

20 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

And Jonathan Scott was the other guy this century that was just a massive human on the line.

Leonard was 350-365 and 6'5" if I'm not mistaken. He was the strongest dude on campus the day he stepped foot on it but still wasn't a big contributor until his Jr year. Wife's cousin went to school with him and they remain friends to this day. Great family by all accounts.

29 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

6'6' 370 lbs according to this:

https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=5772

And Mike Williams wasn't any smaller at 6'5.6" 375 lbs:

https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=6050

Back to back years...damn that was forever ago.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
Added Mike Williams info
  • Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting