Jump to content
Washpark

Texas BBQ

Recommended Posts

So after seeing all the interstellar talk last night I jumped on their website and set up a pick up today.
Brisket, ribs, popper sausage and pork bellys.
Picked up and when I got home noticed they put a plastic cup of bbq sauce that had opened and spilled everywhere. Yes I know sauce sucks but my ol lady likes it.
Brisket was really fatty with no flavor other than salt pepper bark no smokiness.
Ribs were ok, heavy spicey flavor, again little pit flavor.
Bellys were really great and tasty.
I was most lookin forward to the popper sausage as poppers are my fav. It had an odd texture and look and seemed more oven cooked than pit smoked. Bland flavor.
Look, Ive never felt Im some Q guru, I just like what I like.
May just be a dumb ass novice mexican bland palleta, but I gotta say I was pretty disappoint.
I know places have bad/off days and I usually give 2nd chances. This was so bad I may not go back.
Damn. Not the experience I was looking forward to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2020 at 7:08 PM, williemackgarza said:

So after seeing all the interstellar talk last night I jumped on their website and set up a pick up today.
Brisket, ribs, popper sausage and pork bellys.
Picked up and when I got home noticed they put a plastic cup of bbq sauce that had opened and spilled everywhere. Yes I know sauce sucks but my ol lady likes it.
Brisket was really fatty with no flavor other than salt pepper bark no smokiness.
Ribs were ok, heavy spicey flavor, again little pit flavor.
Bellys were really great and tasty.
I was most lookin forward to the popper sausage as poppers are my fav. It had an odd texture and look and seemed more oven cooked than pit smoked. Bland flavor.
Look, Ive never felt Im some Q guru, I just like what I like.
May just be a dumb ass novice mexican bland palleta, but I gotta say I was pretty disappoint.
I know places have bad/off days and I usually give 2nd chances. This was so bad I may not go back.
Damn. Not the experience I was looking forward to.

That sucks.  Interstellar has been very good every time I've had it.

I get it, though.  People around here really seem to love Mickelthwait, but the first time I tried it, it was so terrible that I swore I wouldn't give it a second chance.  Then a friend sort of made me go there a second time because he really wanted to try it, and it was possibly even worse than the first time.  Cold food, flavorless brisket with huge hunks of unrendered fat, tough ribs that were DAF, just a really, really gross meal.  I'll never bother returning.  But some people love the place.  I guess that's the way it goes.

Edited by utee94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, utee94 said:

That sucks.  Interstellar has been very good every time I've had it.

I get it, though.  People around here really seem to love Mickelthwait, but the first time I tried it, it was so terrible that I swore I wouldn't give it a second chance.  Then a friend sort of made me go there a second time because he really wanted to try it, and it was possibly even worse than the first time.  Cold food, flavorless brisket with huge hunks of unrendered fat, tough ribs that were DAF, just a really, really gross meal.  I'll never bother returning.  But some people love the place.  I guess that's the way it goes.

Here was Interstellar today.  I have never had bad food or non-smoky “oven tasting” brisket.  

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

 pickled nopales for tacos.

Oh man, this has me intrigued.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me encantan nopalitos.

Pics of red snapper in the fishing thread got me hungry, and now thoughts of fish tacos with pickled nopalito ... I don't think I'm gonna make it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 5:10 PM, tx 3 putt said:

 

reminds me of the time I stopped a 'Cooper's BBQ' in Junction and almost shit my pants about 15 mins down the road 

 

You say that like its a bad thing.

 

Seriously, next time in Junction, go to Lum's. Its in downtown on the other side of the highway.

http://lumsbbq.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think i'm the only person who hates nopales/ nopalitos.

sorry, can't do em...

Edited by Iceman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
You say that like its a bad thing.
 
Seriously, next time in Junction, go to Lum's. Its in downtown on the other side of the highway.
http://lumsbbq.com/
 
Had their bbq a couple of years ago when dropping my son off for camp in Rock Springs and wasn't impressed at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had Kinfolk a few days back from the trailer in Hyde Park. Brisket slammed, but sausage was meh. Sides were solid. Had the breakfast tacos the other morning and that was some good shit too. Glad it’s here and hope they can make it. 
 

How the fuck does one rotate photos on the safari iPhone version?
 

30A28E65-E710-4C3E-9A6E-397EBB09627B.thumb.jpeg.eedb2f85b53e4155df381e070b1667fa.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2020 at 5:06 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Had Kinfolk a few days back from the trailer in Hyde Park. Brisket slammed, but sausage was meh. Sides were solid. Had the breakfast tacos the other morning and that was some good shit too. Glad it’s here and hope they can make it. 
 

How the fuck does one rotate photos on the safari iPhone version?
 

30A28E65-E710-4C3E-9A6E-397EBB09627B.thumb.jpeg.eedb2f85b53e4155df381e070b1667fa.jpeg

Kinfolk is always solid. Didnt know they were in Hyde Park now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So after seeing all the interstellar talk last night I jumped on their website and set up a pick up today.
Brisket, ribs, popper sausage and pork bellys.
Picked up and when I got home noticed they put a plastic cup of bbq sauce that had opened and spilled everywhere. Yes I know sauce sucks but my ol lady likes it.
Brisket was really fatty with no flavor other than salt pepper bark no smokiness.
Ribs were ok, heavy spicey flavor, again little pit flavor.
Bellys were really great and tasty.
I was most lookin forward to the popper sausage as poppers are my fav. It had an odd texture and look and seemed more oven cooked than pit smoked. Bland flavor.
Look, Ive never felt Im some Q guru, I just like what I like.
May just be a dumb ass novice mexican bland palleta, but I gotta say I was pretty disappoint.
I know places have bad/off days and I usually give 2nd chances. This was so bad I may not go back.
Damn. Not the experience I was looking forward to.

I had a good takeout experience, but I know multiple people that have not. They need to open back up, seems their quality control on the takeout is pretty spotty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Any recommendations for quality barbecue in the Midland Odessa area?

Not sure what your definition of the M/O area is.  Pody's BBQ in Pecos is legit - at least it was in early 2018.  It made the TM Top 50.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ive been to Pody’s several times and may be there tomorrow if things fall right.  It’s still legit.  
 

I didn’t know if there was any must-see/try joint in the immediate area for dinner tonight. 

Edited by CycleTex87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Went by Hutchins in Mckinney. Didn't order turkey. Everything was very good. Top notch place. 3a892e86a090696c8fee1de9049014ef.jpg8d410e6ca58703a7a80fdb292b0c0c7b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
 

Good que. However you didn’t go on a weekend and missed the Texas twinkie. A super sized jalapeño stuffed with brisket, cream cheese and wrapped in bacon.  Will get me some this weekend and some chicken. Most consistent bbq I have ever frequented. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2020 at 4:20 PM, South Austin said:

I'll go for pulled pork every once in a while. 

Just like your mom eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2020 at 4:20 PM, South Austin said:

I'll go for pulled pork every once in a while. 

Just like your mom eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2020 at 12:11 PM, utee94 said:

That sucks.  Interstellar has been very good every time I've had it.

I get it, though.  People around here really seem to love Mickelthwait, but the first time I tried it, it was so terrible that I swore I wouldn't give it a second chance.  Then a friend sort of made me go there a second time because he really wanted to try it, and it was possibly even worse than the first time.  Cold food, flavorless brisket with huge hunks of unrendered fat, tough ribs that were DAF, just a really, really gross meal.  I'll never bother returning.  But some people love the place.  I guess that's the way it goes.

I'm convinced that BBQ as a food group, more than any other food group, has the largest number of people who have never really had the good stuff so don't have anything to compare to.  Blows my mind how many random people I've run across in life who actually think some of the BBQ out there is good.  Hell, there are some in this thread.  I've literally heard people say...

Dickey's is really really good

Salt Lick is the best in Austin

Kansas City BBQ is better than Texas BBQ

Rudy's is the best in Texas

Spring Creek is the best in DFW

Never ceases to amaze me how low some people's bars are when it comes to BBQ.  I think for a lot of food groups, it's varying opinions because people do have different tastes.  I get that.  But with BBQ, it seems much more just lack of experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I'm convinced that BBQ as a food group, more than any other food group, has the largest number of people who have never really had the good stuff so don't have anything to compare to.  Blows my mind how many random people I've run across in life who actually think some of the BBQ out there is good.  Hell, there are some in this thread.  I've literally heard people say...

Dickey's is really really good

Salt Lick is the best in Austin

Kansas City BBQ is better than Texas BBQ

Rudy's is the best in Texas

Spring Creek is the best in DFW

Never ceases to amaze me how low some people's bars are when it comes to BBQ.  I think for a lot of food groups, it's varying opinions because people do have different tastes.  I get that.  But with BBQ, it seems much more just lack of experience.

I'll sign on to this. Last time I went to Salt Lick it was basically inedible. Just terrible. But everyone I was with, just raved about how great it was - but they haven't taken the  time to go to some of the Austin greats. Same at my office - we have had bbq brought in from many different places and its pretty much mediocre unless I'm the one ordering it. Regardless, they love it even if it isn't great. 

I used to think BBQ was ok, but nothing great. I felt the same about steaks. Then I had good bbq and I learned that it can be incredible when done right. Then I moved to Houston and  learned steaks need to be eaten medium rare (not well done which is all my mom will eat and all I had growing up - no wonder I didn't like it and doused it in A1). And now I love steaks.

Its ignorance really, but you can't really blame them unless they've had really good bbq and just choose mediocre. That said, even mediocre bbq is still pretty good, which is why alot of people don't care that much to put in the extra time to get the good stuff. I drive by Goode Co. (about 5 minutes from my house) to go another 15-20 minutes to Pinkerton's on a regular basis. But I'm willing to make the effort. I don't think most people are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Dickey's is really really good

Salt Lick is the best in Austin

Kansas City BBQ is better than Texas BBQ

Rudy's is the best in Texas

Spring Creek is the best in DFW

I understand the sentiment, but neither Interstellar nor Micklethwait belong in the same category with the above restaurants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I'm convinced that BBQ as a food group, more than any other food group, has the largest number of people who have never really had the good stuff so don't have anything to compare to.  Blows my mind how many random people I've run across in life who actually think some of the BBQ out there is good.  Hell, there are some in this thread.  I've literally heard people say...

Dickey's is really really good

Salt Lick is the best in Austin

Kansas City BBQ is better than Texas BBQ

Rudy's is the best in Texas

Spring Creek is the best in DFW

Never ceases to amaze me how low some people's bars are when it comes to BBQ.  I think for a lot of food groups, it's varying opinions because people do have different tastes.  I get that.  But with BBQ, it seems much more just lack of experience.

These are the same  dolts that say "we're going to have a BBQ on Saturday afternoon.  You should come over!!"

And you do; even though you know better and the whole affair will be a tragedy.  But you like train wrecks and so when you arrive the pitmaster has his gas grill fired up and is flipping frozen burger patties and turning chicken breasts slathered in Kraft BBQ sauce.

And your old lady wonders why you get so drunk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

I understand the sentiment, but neither Interstellar nor Micklethwait belong in the same category with the above restaurants. 

They do when people act like they're the next coming of Snows and Franklin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Fuck all y’all, dickeys has great tea !!!!

I can thoroughly enjoy myself having a meal at dickey’s.  it’s all about ordering right and managing expectations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, futureman said:

I can thoroughly enjoy myself having a meal at dickey’s.  it’s all about ordering right and managing expectations. 

now im curious, what's the goto order ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2020 at 12:51 PM, Errestaurants said:

Went by Hutchins in Mckinney. Didn't order turkey. Everything was very good. Top notch place. 3a892e86a090696c8fee1de9049014ef.jpg8d410e6ca58703a7a80fdb292b0c0c7b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
 

Had the sausage and the sausage with jalapeno and cheddar.  Was dang good.  Missed out on the brisket because it was sold out.  They are supposed to cater my daughter's wedding in November.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

now im curious, what's the goto order ?

chopped beef sandwich and take your pick from fried okra, beans, potato casserole, mac and cheese, or green beans.  don’t order meat by the pound.  it’s not great bbq but as far as food goes the sandwiches and sides don’t taste bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

They do when people act like they're the next coming of Snows and Franklin.

IMHO. Micklethwait is better than Franklin.  I'm not knocking Franklin, in fact I ordered it a few weeks ago.  However, I've had everything on the Franklin menu and his brisket is the only real star.  Ribs are good, sausage is good, and the sides are mediocre at best.

Franklin is not head and shoulders above all other barbecue places in Texas.  Tejas, Truth, Evie Mae's, LeRoy & Lewis are rightfully in the same conversation as Franklin.

 

ETA:  I would put Tejas at the top of the Texas barbecue joints.

Edited by Jerry Callo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...