Re-assign PK, Hire Muschamp Now

RabidM

PK is in over his head in this league.  It will be worse in the SEC.  Cut our losses.  It would be one thing if we were playing fundamentally sound defense and we' were just getting out talented.  That's not what we're seeing.  We're playing with bad fundamentals and poor situational scheme... terrible angles, bad tackling, LB's in the same gap... playing 2 deep safties when the other team is trying to run out the clock.  That's absolutely coaching. 

Offer Muschamp $3 million a year guaranteed, or more if needed.  He's not on the coaching staff there.  Gerg showed us a lot of things can be fixed in a few weeks with good coaching.  Plus, Muschamp might fall into the HC job here if Sark gets back on the sauce.  This is a good situation for him and the money can be right.    

Edited by RabidM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 15

4 minutes ago, Chad said:

A simpler solution would've been to retain Ash. The players were buying into his scheme and looked competent the second half of the season after they became comfortable in the scheme.

We can't fix past mistakes.  Good coaching should be showing up in scheme and fundamentals by now.. or at least tangible improvement.  You can make a credible argument that our problems on offense are talent related, especially the OL.  I don't think you can make that argument on defense.  We're just playing with bad fundamentals and scheme. 

PK isn't the answer.  Muschamp isn't contractually bound anywhere.  Use some of our incredible wealth and money whip him. 

Edited by RabidM

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, let's fire the dude because the offense that should support him had 4 straight 3 and outs and a pick that kept his defense on the field for the majority of the 3rd and 4th quarters. 1 yard in the 4th quarter.

The offense doesn't help.  But are we playing fundamentally sound defensive football? Are we tackling well?  Are our players in the correct gaps most of the time?  Do our DL play with good leverage?  Can we make tackles in space?  Can our players consistently get off blocks?  Are we improving?  This is coaching independent of the offense. 

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, let's fire the dude because the offense that should support him had 4 straight 3 and outs and a pick that kept his defense on the field for the majority of the 3rd and 4th quarters. 1 yard in the 4th quarter. Never mind how his defense held oSu to 13 points in the first half. 

Six

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, let's fire the dude because the offense that should support him had 4 straight 3 and outs and a pick that kept his defense on the field for the majority of the 3rd and 4th quarters. 1 yard in the 4th quarter. Never mind how his defense held oSu to 13 points in the first half. 

Holding OSU to 13 points in a half would've been an accomplishment in past seasons when they consistently fielded a Top 10 offense. This season their offense is dog shit they're ranked 80th overall, it's bad. Their QB is an inaccurate turnover machine, their WRs were constantly dropping wide open passes.

Just now, Chad said:

Holding OSU to 13 points in a half would've been an accomplishment in past seasons when they consistently fielded a Top 10 offense. This season their offense is dog shit they're ranked 80th overall, it's bad. Their QB is an inaccurate turnover machine, their WRs were constantly dropping wide open passes.

I wish we were that terrible and undefeated.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

I wish we were that terrible and undefeated.

Maybe it has something to do with their defense and not their limp dick offense that's the 3rd worst offense in the conference marginally better than WVU's and better than ummm.....KU's?

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

We're not going to hire Will Muschamp.

I'm pretty sure that was Sarks first choice. I remember that being the scuttlebutt on Surly. I'm pretty sure Gideon was hired as someone that Muschamp would want on his staff. I didn't check on his status until this thread. I thought the consensus was that he was going to Georgia (home) to be the DC. How did he end up just an analyst?

CHIEF

22 minutes ago, RabidM said:

PK is in over his head in this league.  It will be worse in the SEC.  Cut our losses.  It would be one thing if we were playing fundamentally sound defense and we' were just getting out talented.  That's not what we're seeing.  We're playing with bad fundamentals and poor situational scheme... terrible angles, bad tackling, LB's in the same gap... playing 2 deep safties when the other team is trying to run out the clock.  That's absolutely coaching. 

Offer Muschamp $3 million a year guaranteed, or more if needed.  He's not on the coaching staff there.  Gerg showed us a lot of things can be fixed in a few weeks with good coaching.  Plus, Muschamp might fall into the HC job here if Sark gets back on the sauce.  This is a good situation for him and the money can be right.    

Lawrence office space shit man - Hell no man I Believe you get your ass kicked saying something like that 

I'm out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

So now Pete sucks as a DC? Never mind the past success he had at UW? Christ. 

Would you call what we're seeing good coaching and development?  I don't care what he did before... and... the offenses of the P12 for much of his career were not the best barometer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Lawrence office space shit man - Hell no man I Believe you get your ass kicked saying something like that 

I'm out. 

I don't want him as the HC. I think it's clear that DC is his best position on any staff.  It's just a selling point (carrot on a stick), plus a shit ton of guaranteed money.

Edited by RabidM

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Didn't Muschamp turn us down for UGA anyway? Tf?

Yes. It's an unlikely scenario, admittedly.  However, I am talking about paying him a good P5 head coaching salary to be DC here with guaranteed years.  He is just an analyst at Georgia after all. 

Edited by RabidM

20 minutes ago, Chad said:

6 points. One TD was a pick 6. And I think at least another 3 was the result of 3rd down after-play penalties (one of which was BS). 

But yeah their offense isn't good and missed some open throws. The D isn't to blame for yesterday's loss (Definitely OU) but it's been very disappointing so far.

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

Didn't Muschamp turn us down for UGA anyway? Tf?

I think he wanted to take a year off and live near his kid who's at UGA. Notice that he didn't take an on-field position anywhere. So I guess technically true but not really like that.

I still wonder if he had told Sark he was going to join though which is why Sark hired so many Muschamp-related position coaches before a DC. I doubt Sark fires PK after one year but Muschamp may be open to joining at that point if he did. I suspect Sark would make sure he has someone lined up before making any moves.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I would fire him for playing his corners 8 yards from the line 3rd and 9s and having them bailing at the snap. Fuck that guy

But he ain’t gone until the end of the season at the soonest

• Like 2

What I saw yesterday on OSU's bread and butter pass play was shitty defensive ends and unathletic linebackers.  You remember the play, that they ran over and over and over.  Sanders fakes a run going one way with line action to sell it he then bootlegs out with levels concept RB, WRs coming with him.  On a play like that the "backside" (from the perspective of the direction the handoff looks to be going) has to get off his block and force the action early. That hardly ever happened.  Then the LB, who admittedly in his defense has been put in massive conflict between the QB running or at the very least dumping it to the RB is just not athletic enough to make a up for any of the DEs or his own shittiness. 

That wasn't scheme...that's just shitty players.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Belichick could be coaching this D and they'd still look like ass if we kept them out there all day with what little depth we have.

Ash was not good last year either. We are really missing Sam's third down heroics (bruising runs) this year. When we didn't sustain drives last year, bad things happened when with better personnel. We have worse personnel this year, and we haven't sustained drives in the 2nd half of all of our losses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, let's fire the dude because the offense that should support him had 4 straight 3 and outs and a pick that kept his defense on the field for the majority of the 3rd and 4th quarters. 1 yard in the 4th quarter. Never mind how his defense held oSu to 6 points in the first half. 

Edit: Tommy G covered it already).

Edited by Bullneck

1 hour ago, RabidM said:

The offense doesn't help.  But are we playing fundamentally sound defensive football? Are we tackling well?  Are our players in the correct gaps most of the time?  Do our DL play with good leverage?  Can we make tackles in space?  Can our players consistently get off blocks?  Are we improving?  This is coaching independent of the offense. 

I would say yes more than no to all these questions. I feel like people really should rewatch the past few seasons and then rewatch this year's so far.

1 hour ago, Chad said:

That's what I thought, but my memory sucks at times. I remember Muschamp was offered the DC position and turned it down.

Is it not common knowledge that Muschamp was "in" in then changed his mind?  Because that's why Gideon was hired first.  So yeah, weird thread, because we've already tried to hire Muschamp and it had absolutely nothing to do with $$.  They (primarily his wife) wanted to be close to their son (who is a walk on at UGA)

2 hours ago, RabidM said:

All good questions, but I will counter with this. When one is fatigued, he doesn't think or execute as crisply. No one will gripe more about a lack of fundamentals than me, especially as it regards tackling. It is difficult to quantify the degree to which exhaustion affects the level of play but it unquestionably does. Just watch the difference between a gassed fighter vs his early rounds. It would be nice to have that kind of defense that plays with resolute effort keeping an impotent offense in the game until the bitter end. I don't pretend to know how much of this is mental toughness, conditioning or the degree of coaching and reps these guys are getting on fundamentals.

Just one example though -- BJ Foster. Someone wroteup how he was an exciting assassin to watch his freshman season, and has regressed ever since. Well, yeah, he was aggressive and a great athlete. But he never tackled correctly. He was always hunting the big hit with his shoulder bump or missile launch. To__ Orlan_o did him no favors. Mr. Just Put Your Foot in the Ground and Swarm to The BAll. OK. Great, yes, lots of bodies towards the ball. See ball, or what you think is the ball (misdirection/fake handoff anyone?) and everyone swarms to it and increases the odds of getting the guy down. But no fundamentals. Is BJ too stupid or stubborn to learn? Has anyone ever really made a solid effort to emphasize proper technique? Are his bad habits just too ingrained? Wish I knew the answer.

I think it's far too early to call for either Sark or PK being changed out. I do have some nitpicks and concerns. Keep in mind though, that when there are a lot of things to fix, you can only fix so much week-to-week.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Getting Muschamp, and maybe even keeping Ash, would have probably kept Hutzler on board.  LB's were improving every game under him and Ole Miss defense is better this year and they are getting good LB play.

As they just gave up 52 to Arky, and 26 to Tenn.

5 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Keep in mind though, that when there are a lot of things to fix, you can only fix so much week-to-week.

Most excellent point.  I don't think anyone would argue that this is not a multi-level shitshow.  Of course, one might have expected some of the levels to get ironed out in the off-season.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

All good questions, but I will counter with this. When one is fatigued, he doesn't think or execute as crisply. No one will gripe more about a lack of fundamentals than me, especially as it regards tackling. It is difficult to quantify the degree to which exhaustion affects the level of play but it unquestionably does. Just watch the difference between a gassed fighter vs his early rounds. It would be nice to have that kind of defense that plays with resolute effort keeping an impotent offense in the game until the bitter end. I don't pretend to know how much of this is mental toughness, conditioning or the degree of coaching and reps these guys are getting on fundamentals.

Just one example though -- BJ Foster. Someone wroteup how he was an exciting assassin to watch his freshman season, and has regressed ever since. Well, yeah, he was aggressive and a great athlete. But he never tackled correctly. He was always hunting the big hit with his shoulder bump or missile launch. To__ Orlan_o did him no favors. Mr. Just Put Your Foot in the Ground and Swarm to The BAll. OK. Great, yes, lots of bodies towards the ball. See ball, or what you think is the ball (misdirection/fake handoff anyone?) and everyone swarms to it and increases the odds of getting the guy down. But no fundamentals. Is BJ too stupid or stubborn to learn? Has anyone ever really made a solid effort to emphasize proper technique? Are his bad habits just too ingrained? Wish I knew the answer.

I think it's far too early to call for either Sark or PK being changed out. I do have some nitpicks and concerns. Keep in mind though, that when there are a lot of things to fix, you can only fix so much week-to-week.

He did that shit on HS film too. But he was a big good looking athlete that moved fluidly (4.6-4.7 40 range), so he's a 5-star. 

3 hours ago, RabidM said:

We can't fix past mistakes.  Good coaching should be showing up in scheme and fundamentals by now.. or at least tangible improvement.  You can make a credible argument that our problems on offense are talent related, especially the OL.  I don't think you can make that argument on defense.  We're just playing with bad fundamentals and scheme. 

PK isn't the answer.  Muschamp isn't contractually bound anywhere.  Use some of our incredible wealth and money whip him. 

My head is going to explode the next time someone says our offensive problems are talent related. That same talent was laying down a beating on the other team before adjustments. Sark does not know how to adjust under fire and it is no coincidence he has never come back from 10 down at the half as a head coach.

6 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

My head is going to explode the next time someone says our offensive problems are talent related. That same talent was laying down a beating on the other team before adjustments. Sark does not know how to adjust under fire and it is no coincidence he has never come back from 10 down at the half as a head coach.

what adjustments did OU and Okie State make?

21 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

The team has struggled against every single defense with a heartbeat -- Arkansas, TCU, OU and Ok St. Knowing that OK St has a solid defense, I was not surprised by the outcome of this game or against OU. The team struggles because the OL CAN NOT hold up, especially against stunts and blitzes. Casey does not handle it well contrary to what many would like to believe.

So now tell us who the talent on the OL are that aren't a problem? In my opinion Kertstetter and Angilau are pretty solid pieces. Majors is a work in progress but should get better as the season progresses. Would be nice if he had another year of physical maturity and strength already. FK Tom Herman for not having any better options at center READY after Shackleford left. Ghirmai ManTitties? Come on now.

An OL is only as good as it's weakest links and that line has several weak links. Karic and Conners are another pair that will probably be OK next year. But they're light on experience right now and Karic is also light in the pants as of yet. The OL was rearranged with only a week to prepare. OL's don't progress that fast unless you have studs to plug and play with.

The jury is out on Flood. He seems to have a great resume, but doesn't have the talent to work with here he did at Bama. Not even close, which really makes it hard to grade his coaching. I don't see any of Iowa St, Baylor or WVU being gimme's either with this OL as it is.