Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Accept every recommended change.

[noCR] A few days ago, Black Lives Matter did an AMA on Reddit. It wasn't very encouraging, she spent most of the time dodging questions regarding where the money they collected was actually going.

I appreciate the slogan and the meaning, but as a political organization BLM is a bit of a mess and there are other organizations that would probably accomplish more with the money in terms of the stated goal.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's nice to know where you stand on, well, a lot of things with this post.

Yes I stand with people that make sense by not erasing history, not using a national tragedy as a means to destroy the foundations of this country, and not giving ultimatums to a university that will give you a free education that can better your life.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

If we changed the song. 100 years from now people would be singing a different song after Texas games and no one would give a fuck. They wouldn’t think back and say man, did you know the song used to be different? No, they wouldn’t, because no one would give a shit. They would just be happy to be watching Texas football. 

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Gtfo with this bullshit.

Tell you what - let’s look at the actual list again. Point out exactly the items that are destroying the foundations of our country. 

F463-A680-5-E18-4164-9-A0-E-52041-D2-C69

outside of The Eyes there is nothing here that is even a question mark. Nothing. 

It’s just destroying what his personal foundations are in regards to this country. 

• Like 1

College football isn't going to last 20 years in its current form. Too many people care more about income and don't consider education for lost income a fair trade. Semi-pro will be the future either within or outside the university setting. Personally, I think most football players will come out worse off under such a setting but at least the system won't be a farce.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

College football isn't going to last 20 years in its current form. Too many people care more about income and don't consider education for income a fair trade. Semi-pro will be the future either within or outside the university setting. Personally, I think most football players will come out worse off under such a setting but at least the system won't be a farce.

Disagree, dude. The changes towards branding and making money off your likeness will keep this channel pumping along just fine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Disagree, dude. The changes towards branding and making money off your likeness will keep this channel pumping along just fine. 

Maybe it was a good way to delay but it could also amplify inequities between schools. There are about 30 schools that can pay players excessively to stay in the game and the rest will be gone. Schools like Oregon will be able to outpay even the mighty SEC and attorneys will join in the buffoonery that will follow.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

A good negotiating tactic would be to include something that you don’t REALLY care about that you can give in on. Could that be what the Eyes request is?

Doubtful. Re-read their objectives list and it's clear that they did their homework.

1 hour ago, trythisathome said:

I will say that defending monuments to racists under the guise of "preserving history" is just about the most bullshit argument you can make. 

If you're so worried about history being lost, maybe we should increase education funding instead of honoring people who dedicated their lives to preserving one of the worst practices the human race has ever engaged in. 

I mean, I think there’s an argument to be made that if you start caving in to every demand it becomes difficult to know when to stop.  Thomas Jefferson?  George Washington?  how much of history would you like to erase?  

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

I mean, I think there’s an argument to be made that if you start caving in to every demand it becomes difficult to know when to stop.  Thomas Jefferson?  George Washington?  how much of history would you like to erase?  

*Don’t get Futureman’d*
*Don’t get Futureman’d*

Season 1 Reality GIF by Rick and Morty

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, futureman said:

The difference is that the Confederacy's entire purpose was to preserve slavery. Glorification of its leaders is a blatant endorsement of the one value they prioritized. It should be acknowledged that figures like Washington and Jefferson owned slaves, but the American Revolution had a value beyond the personal actions of its leaders. The Confederacy only had one purpose. 

(Also worth noting that Jefferson fought to outlaw the slave trade and gradually favored emancipation more and more in his later years). 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Accept every recommended change.

I’ve seen posters mention this will never get past the BMDs.

Fuck the BMDs. Progression is about winning battles with wealthy old white men. Let the voices of youth and unity be heard and this will be a leap forward for the university. Their efforts may seem far reaching to some, but that’s often what it takes to make a lasting impact.

Fight it, and it will only create more division.  That’s not to say society must buckle to every demand but what they’re asking for is not unreasonable.

9 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

The difference is that the Confederacy's entire purpose was to preserve slavery. Glorification of its leaders is a blatant endorsement of the one value they prioritized. It should be acknowledged that figures like Washington and Jefferson owned slaves, but the American Revolution had a value beyond the personal actions of its leaders. The Confederacy only had one purpose. 

(Also worth noting that Jefferson fought to outlaw the slave trade and gradually favored emancipation more and more in his later years). 

thomas jefferson and george washington bought and sold black people.  tell me again why we shouldn’t eradicate them from our history?

8 hours ago, futureman said:

thomas jefferson and george washington bought and sold black people.  tell me again why we shouldn’t eradicate them from our history?

If we are going to do that then we might as well change New Zealand back to Aotearoa. And I have bad news boys: Amerigo Vespucci owned slaves.

• Like 1

Spitballing here, but it might be kind of cool if like baseball, players have their own songs that they play snippets of over the loud speaker.  Players would really enjoy it and we could remember the years and players by the songs played.  Would like a central university song though. 

11 hours ago, golfclap said:

Gtfo with this bullshit.

Tell you what - let’s look at the actual list again. Point out exactly the items that are destroying the foundations of our country. 

outside of The Eyes there is nothing here that is even a question mark. Nothing. 

• An outreach program from inner cities (Austin, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio)

How is Texas not doing this already?  It's too valuable to academics and sports.  

• Like 2

I just can't see any scenario where this turns out well.   Most people don't really care what buildings are named and such.  But caving to a list of demands will set a bad precedent and in and of itself be divisive.  It's not that I even care that much about the Eyes of Texas, but most folks like the tradition and are saying to themselves. "When the heck did that become racist".  Giving a set % of revenue to BLM will be a non-starter for many folks and will be extremely controversial since the money actually goes to ActBlue which mainly goes to democrat campaigns.  Controversy just isn't good for recruiting or programs.  I'm all on board for police reform, but I'm sorry this has played out this way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Mdhorn said:

Spitballing here, but it might be kind of cool if like baseball, players have their own songs that they play snippets of over the loud speaker.  Players would really enjoy it and we could remember the years and players by the songs played.  Would like a central university song though. 

Bradley Suttle’s song was the Top Gun theme, and it was only topped by Travis Tucker’s Stanky Legg.

1 hour ago, JohnLocke said:

I just can't see any scenario where this turns out well.   Most people don't really care what buildings are named and such.  But caving to a list of demands will set a bad precedent and in and of itself be divisive.  It's not that I even care that much about the Eyes of Texas, but most folks like the tradition and are saying to themselves. "When the heck did that become racist".  Giving a set % of revenue to BLM will be a non-starter for many folks and will be extremely controversial since the money actually goes to ActBlue which mainly goes to democrat campaigns.  Controversy just isn't good for recruiting or programs.  I'm all on board for police reform, but I'm sorry this has played out this way.

Take the money they want for BLM and give it to either minority scholarships (which I am sure the athletic department likely already does) or training for UTPD officers or whatever.

Just because they demand it does not mean they aren't willing to accept a completely reasonable compromise on it.  

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

New poster with a politically-oriented username descends on the Recruiting thread to predict doom and gloom if we "cave" to the athletes? It's a unique spin on the usual football board overflow.

Makes you wonder what his regular account is...<cough cough HTownHorn <cough>

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

A good negotiating tactic would be to include something that you don’t REALLY care about that you can give in on. Could that be what the Eyes request is?

Give them a bill for.the money the people paid to have their names on the buildings in today's dollars. 

Tell them, pay the families back their money and and we will change the name. 

Hell, the families might even sue the school if the names were changed. 

14 hours ago, golfclap said:

Gtfo with this bullshit.

I don't think donating to the BLM movement, which is arguably donating to political organizations, is happening; in fact, I'd guess that it's a non-starter. It's much more of a question mark than The Eyes. 

If the athletes won't budge on donations, have some scholarships endowed on behalf of the football team or something. 

• Like 2

Just now, NorLa Horns said:

Give them a bill for.the money the people paid to have their names on the buildings in today's dollars. 

Tell them, pay the families back their money and and we will change the name. 

Hell, the families might even sue the school if the names were changed. 

This is absurd. Buildings get renamed all the time with new donations. Additionally, let the family sue. That will play out really well in the media. “We’re suing to keep our racist forefather’s name on the building.” Easiest bluff ever to call. 

Give the family a chance to pick a new name if they squawk. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is absurd. Buildings get renamed all the time with new donations. Additionally, let the family sue. That will play out really well in the media. “We’re suing to keep our racist forefather’s name on the building.” Easiest bluff ever to call. 

Littlefield is a little more complicated than the rest. The rest should be able to be changed with little pushback, imo. 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don't think donating to the BLM movement, which is arguably donating to political organizations, is happening; in fact, I'd guess that it's a non-starter. It's much more of a question mark than The Eyes. 

If the athletes won't budge on donations, have some scholarships endowed on behalf of the football team or something. 

This is one most are looking past/over but without information most do believe the BLM movement has been/will be hijacked by political orgs. To me, glad they added that line item because it's a conversation that must be had. That type of conversation and education will benefit athletes, coaches/admins & fans.

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

There are several conversations going on here about the " nuanced" nature of who these people are. Shouting " racist"  and condemning them from the jump seems kinda stupid. Or are you saying you done an in depth research of all involved and your pronouncement is they all racist?  Dont think so. 

And yes, if a family felt their ancestor was being tarnished unjustly, hell yeah, I know I'd sue. And that's be just as bad for the university. dragging out the drama. And making the school.look bad. 

Or maybe you are being the usual you and trying to browbeat people with invective with little substance to back it up. Hmmm

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1