Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

10 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

So, Roach actually was involved with filming his commitment videos, and he still couldn’t give his readers an accurate picture of where the kid was going to commit.  

This is Peak $9.95er.   

—In the past few weeks, I wrote about how Arkansas made a push back for Royse City wide receiver Ketron Jackson. Texas seemed to be in the driver’s seat following a self-guided visit over a month ago, but Arkansas came back tough recently. In fact, the buzz I heard was enough for me to change my 247Sports Crystal Ball to the Razorbacks. With talk that a commitment could be coming soon, I wasn’t sure there was anything Texas could do to change the momentum. It sounds like there might be a window opening for Texas to jump back into the race. I hate flipping a pick back and forth many times, but it’s conceivable I could soon be putting my confidence back in Texas. If the Longhorns can capitalize on this window, they could outlast Arkansas for the four-star talent. We will be watching this race closely over the next few days to keep our finger on the pulse.

THIS IS FROM FUCKING YESTERDAY....thats literally just lying to people that pay your salary. I get not wanting to ruin a kids moment, how about just not post anything about him instead of straight up lying to your subscribers

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

—In the past few weeks, I wrote about how Arkansas made a push back for Royse City wide receiver Ketron Jackson. Texas seemed to be in the driver’s seat following a self-guided visit over a month ago, but Arkansas came back tough recently. In fact, the buzz I heard was enough for me to change my 247Sports Crystal Ball to the Razorbacks. With talk that a commitment could be coming soon, I wasn’t sure there was anything Texas could do to change the momentum. It sounds like there might be a window opening for Texas to jump back into the race. I hate flipping a pick back and forth many times, but it’s conceivable I could soon be putting my confidence back in Texas. If the Longhorns can capitalize on this window, they could outlast Arkansas for the four-star talent. We will be watching this race closely over the next few days to keep our finger on the pulse.

THIS IS FROM FUCKING YESTERDAY....thats literally just lying to people that pay your salary. I get not wanting to ruin a kids moment, how about just not post anything about him instead of straight up lying to your subscribers

Roach posted yesterday, after the commitment, that Ketron had gone back to Harris last week and asked to re-film the video.  It was Harris and Roach's belief that it meant he had changed his mind - or at the very least he was still waffling between Arkansas and Texas.  That's apparently where the optimism was coming from.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Roach posted yesterday, after the commitment, that Ketron had gone back to Harris last week and asked to re-film the video.  It was Harris and Roach's belief that it meant he had changed his mind - or at the very least he was still waffling between Arkansas and Texas.  That's apparently where the optimism was coming from.  

that explains why Nahlin was so confident on Texas yesterday. I think his words were something like "if you had asked me yesterday I would say Arkansas, but as of now it will be Texas."

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Ah didnt see that

7 minutes ago, Viper said:

that explains why Nahlin was so confident on Texas yesterday. I think his words were something like "if you had asked me yesterday I would say Arkansas, but as of now it will be Texas."

There was definitely some wrong information swirling around Jackson - maybe Nahlin was just reading Roach's updates - but he did seem to imply (if not outright say) that he expected a Jackson commitment to Texas this week.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

Humidor

By: Eric, Justin, and Gerry

Even though the opener isn’t until next weekend, the staff began game prep this week. This week isn’t just designed for getting ready for UTEP but also getting the guys in the game week routine.

The schedule consisted of:

Tuesday — Full pads, 1st and 2nd down prep

Wednesday — Helmets and shoulder pads, 3rd down and red zone prep

Thursday — Helmets and spiders pads (light shoulder pads), clean up and reps of everything regarding game install. The staff will use Thursdays to see what should and should not remain in the game plan. If the players are struggling with a concept it gets scrapped

Friday — The return of Family Friday. The staff tries to find the right mix of remaining loose but getting work done. They’ll have fun activities designed for them to come together as units and as a team. They’ll do walk-throughs including special teams and all the various personnel packages

Saturday — Obviously this will normally be game day, but this week will be a mock game consisting of around 30 snaps. They’ll be going fast but it won’t be to the ground. They’ll work on two minute drill, red zone, and goal line. The intent is to do things situationally so they can also work on substitutions to ensure everyone is on the same page.

Moonlight to sunrise: Ta’Quon “Moonlight” Graham turned an ankle this week. That pushed Alfred Collins to the first team for a few practices. How’d he do? “He’s not as mean as TQ, he doesn’t have that old man, a-hole to his game yet. But he has everything else. He’s so quick for his size and plays with low pads for being so big. The best part, he wants to be great.” We keep hearing that about Collins. I don’t think most people realize what that means for a talent like him.

Opting out: True freshman wide receiver Dajon Harrison opted out of the season. That caught everyone by surprise. He was injured and will need surgery but we’re not sure why that necessitated opting out.

Return game: Punt return is D’Shawn Jamison with Jake Smith and Josh Moore behind him. Kick return will be D’Shawn Jamison and Jake Smith. Behind them are Bijan Robinson and Josh Moore. Raise your hand if you want to see Bijan get a return versus UTEP.

Grad transfers: New graduate transfer Brenden Schooler announced himself with a deep ball reception in 7 on 7 work this week. “Kid has some wheels,” said one source. “He seems like a good addition. He’s just thankful to have found a home and be able to play at the last minute.” That’s unsurprising to hear about a Swiss Army special teams standout. We haven’t discussed Tarik Black all that much so I specifically asked about the Michigan grad transfer. “The best thing about him is he attacks the ball. He doesn’t wait for the ball to get to him, he goes and gets it even if the DB is draped on him. He’s really good on routes working back to the quarterback. Strong hands.” We didn’t hear much regarding Gabe Watson from Sioux Falls. We think they’re breaking him in on scout team.

Breakout candidates by position:

Per sourcing, these are guys who are going to make a leap in play and start to turn heads. This team is teeming with players ready to take the next step so he had trouble identifying just one player at a few positions.

QB: N/A, but he thinks Sam is going to kill it. I received the funniest damn quote of all time and I can’t share it because it was too off color. I’ll never forget it. Maybe after a few beers in a game thread I’ll let it go. The clean version is Sam looks really good.

RB: ”I feel like Keaontay and Roschon are kind of established but there’s plenty of room for them to breakout. Ingram could be gone after this season. Roschon’s better than last year and he was good last year. He’s more than just an athlete now. Of course everyone wants to see Bijan in a game setting. He’s the most natural out of the three. That says a lot.”

TE: “Jared Wiley. He’s got a little of everything to his game. He’s consistent, he’s hungry. He‘ll win the job in season. Right now things are even enough to defer to the senior (Cade Brewer).“

OL: “That’s really tough because the defensive line had its way. Nobody has really broken out. Probably Junior Angilau. He’s going to be ready for the best the league has to offer. Christian Jones is going to get better throughout the season, though. Same goes for Hookfin when they get him back.”

WR: “Jake played a lot last year so are we counting him? If we’re not counting him, it’s tough to say because there are so many options. It could be Whittington, Black, or Moore.” So we didn’t get a good answer there. I asked what type of work is Whittington getting. “Digs, corners, whip routes, slants, bubbles, fades. Remember Duvernay versus Utah?” Cha-ching, slot fades.

DL: “This one’s tough because the battle between Moro Ojomo and Jacoby Jones isn’t decided yet. What will Ash want? Jones is the better pick because Ash wants sacks. But Moro is good, has a good motor, and might be better on 1st and 2nd down with Jones coming in on 3rd down. I don’t know. Just go with Collins [laughing].”

LB: “Overshown is going to make the ridiculous highlight reel plays, but Mitchell is going to lead the team in tackles. Overshown can play the position so if people are skeptical about him there, he’ll surprise them. Mitchell can be good, like surprise people good. Both guys have been making sideline to sideline plays.”

DB: [I told him safeties and spur] “Tough call. I’m going with Brown very slightly over Adimora. It’s Brown’s time. He’s a leader, he’s vocal, he makes his presence known, he’s a grown man, he knows what he has to do, and Ash trusts him. He has a huge chip on his shoulder.“ I asked about him in coverage. “He’s covered well in practice. Coverage will be the question for NFL scouts but I think he’ll be good this year.”

We have to pass along this story on about Adimora. “He’s different. He had a tooth knocked out in August and it messed up his jaw. He had to have surgery on the jaw. He was back out the next day ready to go.”

CB: “People are already talking about D’Shawn, especially after the second half he had last year, but I think he’s going to be big time this year and make another jump. Looking forward to see him this year. Don’t sleep on Josh Thompson, though.“

STATE OF RECRUITING

While the Longhorns are mainly focused on the ultra talented in-state crop of skill players in 2022, the staff is receiving some very positive feedback and interest from talented out of state prospects in areas Texas has a chance to win some battles. After arguably not casting a wide enough net in the 2021 cycle, that will not be the case for 2022.

While it’s hard to imagine the Longhorns signing an out of state receiver in 2022 with Evan Stewart, Caleb Burton, and Armani Winfield all being leans or possible leans to Texas, it is worth mentioning that Aaron Anderson from NOLA is showing serious interest in Texas. The 5-foot-10, 180-pound quick-twitch prospect has offers from the likes of Arkansas, Colorado, Miami, Purdue and USC in addition to Texas. The Edna Karr standout has been in contact more than once with receivers coach Andre Coleman since Quinn Ewers committed.

Like receiver, it’s hard to see Texas going out of state even in a two running back class with Jaydon Blue, Tavorus Jones, and Jamarion Miller all being prospects Texas could earn commitments from. The Longhorns do remain in contact with one out of state RB — Jaylen Thompson out of the Los Angeles area. The 5-foot-9, 185-pound hard-nosed runner has a number of Power 5 offers including Oregon, USC, Arizona State, and Penn State. Thompson has remained in regular contact with the staff in recent weeks and months. He was offered in late June.

Switching gears to the current class...

Texas continues to remain in a good spot with La Porte defensive tackle Albert Regis. Regis released a top 6 that included Texas Tech, Ole Miss, Houston and Arkansas … but this recruitment remains Texas vs. Texas A&M. While Regis plans on waiting to make his second commitment, his timeline could be speeding up to a date early in the season due to so many prospects committing and spots potentially filling up at his two favorites.

Mansfield Legacy defensive end David Abiara has been committed to Notre Dame since last March. That commitment caught everyone by surprise as he was long considered a virtual lock for Oklahoma. Abiara has retained solid relationships with the OU staff and he’s been on flip watch for months. There has to be a reason that flip has not happened. Could it be OU simply isn’t pushing due to numbers? We don’t believe that to be the case, at least it wasn’t for a while. What we think is going on is his family is grateful for the opportunity to go to a prestigious athletic institution. Notre Dame has some permanent recruiting benefits of its own. This one has a bit of a Joseph Ossai feel to it, just exchange A&M for OU. Like Abiara and his family, the Ossais took a visit to Notre Dame and were blown away, but proximity played a factor. Proximity is a consideration here to a degree and that’s why we’ve felt OU might get the flip. Now we’re not so sure. Ossai is an excellent ambassador for the program. We wouldn’t be surprised if he played a part in this pursuit. We know Sam Ehlinger helped with Quinn Ewers and Bijan Robinson has helped with LJ Johnson. Abiara remains one to watch. Most exciting about him is he has both a high floor and ceiling. He can play the run as well as get after the quarterback.

There continues to be chatter surrounding Oklahoma and Billy Bowman Jr. In talking to a source very close to the elite playmaker, Texas remains very solid with Bowman. The source said Bowman and Ja’Tavion Sanders are both very excited about the conversations they’ve had with Tom Herman and staff.

The staff is hoping Austin LBJ safety Andrew Mukuba joins Billy Bowman in the defensive backfield. We feel Mukuba is nearing a decision with three teams having a chance. Clemson has been the favorite for a while and if they wave him in it might be time to offer Lyrik Rawls or someone like him. If Clemson doesn’t have room, we *think* UT will win out but Arizona State is still in the conversation. The Sun Devils staff punches well above its weight when it comes to defensive recruiting. Be glad those guys aren’t in the region. At this time we tend to think Clemson won’t have room but we’re not sure. That makes this recruitment difficult to handicap.

Rather than saving the ‘ship, Texas will likely add one more wide receiver to the class. As recently as Wednesday, Royse City’s Ketron Jackson was giving UT solid feedback. However, he selected Arkansas last night. The Razorbacks prioritized him and consistently recruited him the hardest. Now the staff will watch senior film and see if they still want to exert energy. We may not have heard the last of this one. JJ Henry from McKinney North remains an option as well. He’s done the impossible — caught the attention of both the star-gazers and size queens.

Cy-Fair running back LJ Johnson remains the priority at the position. He recently released his top four schools consisting of three blue bloods — LSU, OU, and UT — and A&M. You guys know where we come out on this. We feel UT is in a good spot and that LJ likely won’t wait too long to announce.

Terrence Cooks, the Shadow Creek state champ, is one of the remaining must-gets in the class. If Texas can add him along with Morice Blackwell, the linebacker depth chart will be the best it’s been since...I don’t know, but it’s been a long time. For months we had Cooks penciled in to decide in October but that should happen in September. We like UT’s chances.

It’s no secret Texas has struggled recruiting offensive linemen this cycle. While we were all anticipating big news on Quinn Ewers Day, the staff extended an offer to Highland Park offensive tackle Jack Leyrer. He visited Texas last weekend but we didn’t hear anything that gave us confidence UT would be the team to beat. We do believe Leyrer is giving UT the chance to make its pitch but we’re watching Stanford here. Leyrer could decide relatively soon.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

We have to pass along this story on about Adimora. “He’s different. He had a tooth knocked out in August and it messed up his jaw. He had to have surgery on the jaw. He was back out the next day ready to go.”

Holy shit. Dude doesn't play around.

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

QB: N/A, but he thinks Sam is going to kill it. I received the funniest damn quote of all time and I can’t share it because it was too off color. I’ll never forget it. Maybe after a few beers in a game thread I’ll let it go. The clean version is Sam looks really good.

curb your enthusiasm middle finger GIF

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Highland Park OL Jack Leyrer recaps Texas visit, timeline

Spoiler

Highland Park OL Jack Leyrer recaps Texas visit, timeline

MikeRoach

Jack Leyrer took a trip to Austin over the weekend.

The three-star offensive tackle from Highland Park (Texas) wanted to make a self-guided visit to Texas, and the trip went well. Leyrer got to take in the entire campus, and he liked what he saw.

“It went very well,” he said. “The highlight of the trip was getting to see the campus. I’ve been to games before, but I’ve never actually walked around the campus at UT.”

Leyrer got to spend time with former high school teammates Paxton Anderson and Prince Dorbah while on campus. Leyrer said the two gave him a good look at what life inside the Texas program is like.

“That was the other highlight,” Leyrer said. “They have really enjoyed their time there thus far. They really emphasized the genuine care and family aspect of the program. On the field, the coaches are going to coach you hard. Off the field, they care about you as a person and as a student.”

Self-guided tours are a bit of a mixed bag. It can depend on the person taking the visit on how it pans out. Leyrer said the trip definitely helped Texas.

“I think it did,” he said. “There’s a lot of positives in my book that Texas has. It’s close to home and that’s definitely a huge benefit. I really like the opportunity that the business school brings.”

Now that Leyrer saw Texas up close, he’s ready to start making a decision. He tells Horns247 that the commitment could come sometime in the next few weeks.

“I think it could be as soon as this weekend,” he said. “It could be as late as before our first game on the 25th.”

At 6-foot-6, 275 pounds, Leyrer is ranked as the No. 77 offensive tackle in the nation and No. 123 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

31 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Highland Park OL Jack Leyrer recaps Texas visit, timeline

Hide contents

Highland Park OL Jack Leyrer recaps Texas visit, timeline

MikeRoach

Jack Leyrer took a trip to Austin over the weekend.

The three-star offensive tackle from Highland Park (Texas) wanted to make a self-guided visit to Texas, and the trip went well. Leyrer got to take in the entire campus, and he liked what he saw.

“It went very well,” he said. “The highlight of the trip was getting to see the campus. I’ve been to games before, but I’ve never actually walked around the campus at UT.”

Leyrer got to spend time with former high school teammates Paxton Anderson and Prince Dorbah while on campus. Leyrer said the two gave him a good look at what life inside the Texas program is like.

“That was the other highlight,” Leyrer said. “They have really enjoyed their time there thus far. They really emphasized the genuine care and family aspect of the program. On the field, the coaches are going to coach you hard. Off the field, they care about you as a person and as a student.”

Self-guided tours are a bit of a mixed bag. It can depend on the person taking the visit on how it pans out. Leyrer said the trip definitely helped Texas.

“I think it did,” he said. “There’s a lot of positives in my book that Texas has. It’s close to home and that’s definitely a huge benefit. I really like the opportunity that the business school brings.”

Now that Leyrer saw Texas up close, he’s ready to start making a decision. He tells Horns247 that the commitment could come sometime in the next few weeks.

“I think it could be as soon as this weekend,” he said. “It could be as late as before our first game on the 25th.”

At 6-foot-6, 275 pounds, Leyrer is ranked as the No. 77 offensive tackle in the nation and No. 123 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

He doesn't like where Texas stands in this one. He ain't commin. 

On 8/31/2020 at 6:45 PM, hornfromdallas said:

the nil/leverage push for texas is great & all but it becomes redundant when u refuse to use bagmen because ur pretentious 

sec schools will mix nil with bags of money 

Reveal hidden contents

i know of 2 players on the current ut team who were offered life changing money from sec schools

& they wouldve went there to if it werent for being ut legacies 

Broughton and Sterns?

On 9/1/2020 at 10:21 PM, markstanco said:
On 9/1/2020 at 10:04 PM, Lone Star Horn said:
for the page,

FUCK the brocks

Is there absolutely zero chance going forward for them? Did they burn bridges? No idea, I just keep hearing this.

If Herman is still the coach and Blake is still the father, then I'd guess no.

Edited by MagicSoccerSpray
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, TexasEx said:

He doesn't like where Texas stands in this one. He ain't commin. 

Herman takes a lot of pride in his OL evals, recruiting and development, a lot. This was one of the most encouraging aspects of his potential as HC 4 years ago. ou, tcu and baylor games blew up his strategy and he's not adapted well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Watching PG/Argyle game.

Landon Jackson has been kinda quiet.  Couple of QB pressures.  Nick Martin is a stud, he'll be a good get for someone.  Freshman RB for PG looks solid.

Jack Tucker has been OK I guess, haven't paid much attention to him.  Jasper Lott has lined up at FB/HB/TE.  Has rolled out in flat and down the middle some for receptions.  Looks OT size.

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Watching PG/Argyle game.

Landon Jackson has been kinda quiet.  Couple of QB pressures.  Nick Martin is a stud, he'll be a good get for someone.  Freshman RB for PG looks solid.

Jack Tucker has been OK I guess, haven't paid much attention to him.  Jasper Lott has lined up at FB/HB/TE.  Has rolled out in flat and down the middle some for receptions.  Looks OT size.

How?

Is this the LSU QB commit organized gathering that has more top talent attending than the Sooner Summit bullshit put together by the OU staff?

You would think LSU would have difficulty recruiting with all the players opting out due to the Ogre’s handling of BLM. I guess it just shows that money talks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk