Texas vs. West Virginia Game Thread -11am on ESPN2 - Colonoscopies and colonics would get you more excited

Pancho

9 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Trust me, we will have a bullseye on our back in the SEC.

But the reason for the bullseye won’t be any different in the SEC:

People equate Texas with being egotistical, bougie, condescending, wealthy, bitchy, etc. that’s why they get up for us a love to beat us no matter if we suck or not.

We we’re going to have the bullseye regardless, but it should would have been nice to go into the SEC with a winning team.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
17 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:
Logan Paul? We wouldn’t be chosen for the RuPaul bowl. We’re not even good pretenders. 

So no Milli Vanilli Bowl????

I believe the bowl in which pretenders play is the Chrissy Hynde bowl. 

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

This is very much a possibility. Our confidence doesn’t get shot to hell. We absolutely beat OU if the refs do their job.

I made the point above that with Michigan State schedule we have their record. May be a slight exaggeration but not far off.

One of many reasons we lost to KU is because our season was shot.

Yeah tbh I still think no chance we would’ve lost to Kansas if we had a different record coming in. The team has quit. I’m not saying we’d be a good team, but not this bad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What else is supposed to really say?  Just play this same post game presser next week as well.   Fuck going to a bowl.  The quicker your season is over the quicker you can start getting rid of folks. 

Nothing, I was just pointing out how depressing the season was. Oh, I wanted him to feed us kool aid for next year, lol.

I hadn't watched the two games prior to this one. I expected malaise and quitting.

I think the team did play with great effort and emotion. Sadly, that's not enough to win games.

I thought, as usual, Sarkision set up opportunities for offensive scoring. The defense did their usual one or two good quarters thing.

What I'm seeing likely could not have been improved over the course of the season except for what I'm hearing about PK's choices for the defense. I'm too dumb to recognize defensive schemes; I'm not too dumb to see the same plays working against us every week.

We're just bad at many positions. You know the ones I'm talking about. That makes us bad as a team. 

I don't know how you create edge rush talent in the course of a the season if you don't have the player for it.

I don't see how you acquire a competent set of linebackers in a single season.

O-lines are famously slow to develop with the exception of A&M it seems. I'm totally baffled how these guys are so bad. 

QB would likely be adequate if not for the above problem. I've not given up on Card being good next year.

I guess I'm falling into blaming the talent level at some positions for this abortion of a season. I expect that the coaches fell for the looks like Tarzan part of the equation before they saw the same guys playing like Jane.

I've not given up on Sarkisian. Besides, it doesn't matter if anyone does. He will be coach next year.

I'll even reveal the depths of my idiocy by saying I'm a little optimistic about next year. Sark hasn't lost the lockerroom. Let's see if he can fill some of the gaping holes in the roster.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I just talked to someone who is holding out hope of winning next week and getting a bowl bid because there are not enough bowl eligible teams.
That's where Texas football is.

I never hope anything bad on our program but we need KSU to Rout 66 us and an empty DKR. Maybe that way, we’d get embarrassed into making real changes.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I just talked to someone who is holding out hope of winning next week and getting a bowl bid because there are not enough bowl eligible teams.

Keep hope alive, but we arent winning next week. KSU is a good team , we are a very bad team 

• Rage+1 1

But the reason for the bullseye won’t be any different in the SEC:
People equate Texas with being egotistical, bougie, condescending, wealthy, bitchy, etc. that’s why they get up for us a love to beat us no matter if we suck or not.
We we’re going to have the bullseye regardless, but it should would have been nice to go into the SEC with a winning team.

We print money with a shitty product too.
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I hadn't watched the two games prior to this one. I expected malaise and quitting.

I think the team did play with great effort and emotion. Sadly, that's not enough to win games.

I thought, as usual, Sarkision set up opportunities for offensive scoring. The defense did their usual one or two good quarters thing.

What I'm seeing likely could not have been improved over the course of the season except for what I'm hearing about PK's choices for the defense. I'm too dumb to recognize defensive schemes; I'm not too dumb to see the same plays working against us every week.

We're just bad at many positions. You know the ones I'm talking about. That makes us bad as a team. 

I don't know how you create edge rush talent in the course of a the season if you don't have the player for it.

I don't see how you acquire a competent set of linebackers in a single season.

O-lines are famously slow to develop with the exception of A&M it seems. I'm totally baffled how these guys are so bad. 

QB would likely be adequate if not for the above problem. I've not given up on Card being good next year.

I guess I'm falling into blaming the talent level at some positions for this abortion of a season. I expect that the coaches fell for the looks like Tarzan part of the equation before they saw the same guys playing like Jane.

I've not given up on Sarkisian. Besides, it doesn't matter if anyone does. He will be coach next year.

I'll even reveal the depths of my idiocy by saying I'm a little optimistic about next year. Sark hasn't lost the lockerroom. Let's see if he can fill some of the gaping holes in the roster.

You watched the 1st quarter and saw great effort and emotion?

20 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

I disagree.. we will be the #1 target in the SEC for the sake everyone will want to take down the blue blood trying to crash the party. Imagine Arkansas but every road game. 

Every school in the current SEC is going to see the horns and the Sooners as step children and treated as such.  It might take up a decade before established conference members either as a full fledged peer.

Just now, SoonerSpock said:

Every school in the current SEC is going to see the horns and the Sooners as step children and treated as such.  It might take up a decade before established conference members either as a full fledged peer.

Yet aggy was welcomed with open arms and fit right in. Not sure Texas will ever fit in due to Austin being completely unlike any SEC town other than Nashville 

19 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I had the same depressing thought reading an article somewhere saying that Texas had shown real heart in battling back to tie [fucking] Kansas. This was supposedly something the team could build on. Ugh.

Let the season end. Aren't there recruiting advantages to not having to prepare for the Massengale Douche Bowl?

6 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

Yet aggy was welcomed with open arms and fit right in. Not sure Texas will ever fit in due to Austin being completely unlike any SEC town other than Nashville 

It helped that they beat the lead dog and had a heisman winner, early on. We ain't doing any of that shit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

Doesn’t have a lot to do with the city rather the culture of the fanbase. We fit well, and  that can be taken both good and bad I guess.

8 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

You watched the 1st quarter and saw great effort and emotion?

I did on the defensive side. It's hard to guage the emotional level of an offense like ours.

I didn't say that I saw great performance. There's a difference, my friend.

An added note: I'm not advocating that anybody should feel anything but rotten about this season. I do myself. What I'm not seeing is a totality of failure. All the yokels in the Big 12 doing the horns down as they leap is sickening. Not so much because I'm offended, but because their glee reflects what we used to be. I can't stomach regular losses to Iowa State and OSU. But I must.

36 minutes ago, Atticus said:

This offseason will determine whether Sark will ever be successful here.

Unfortunately, I think LAST offseason is the one that determines whether Sark will be successful here. Last offseason, he was hot shit. Sark had his redemption story and was fresh off a National Championship, plus a Heisman winner with 2 of the 4 finalists.

He needed to strike while his iron was hot, properly assess his team and aggressively make moves last offseason to immediately improve his roster. He didn't. 

This offseason, he's the coach of a team that quit on him, lost 6 (likely 7) games in a row and lost to Kansas. He's now obviously on the hot seat for the next 2-ish years.

I hope he turns it around, but he's made that a shitload harder. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

All of this is why I want to fire him and start over, but I know we can't nor should we if I'm being totally honest.

Sigh.

I mean. Do you think he can recruit the level of players that will allow him to win a championship?  If not, let’s cut our losses. 

I mean we can’t beat Kansas with mostly four stars (as well a few five and 3) I can only assume he needs all five stars to make his system work (see bama).  

I don’t see 20 five stars committing this year or next 

4 minutes ago, Pods said:

Unfortunately, I think LAST offseason is the one that determines whether Sark will be successful here. Last offseason, he was hot shit. Sark had his redemption story and was fresh off a National Championship, plus a Heisman winner with 2 of the 4 finalists.

He needed to strike while his iron was hot, properly assess his team and aggressively make moves last offseason to immediately improve his roster. He didn't. 

This offseason, he's the coach of a team that quit on him, lost 6 (likely 7) games in a row and lost to Kansas. He's now obviously on the hot seat for the next 2-ish years.

I hope he turns it around, but he's made that a shitload harder. 

Hard to accurately assess a team before seeing what they're actually capable of. Edge is something they went after hard and still came up short. Davis/Thornton/Ovie weren't good enough to play for playoff level teams, but they hoped they would be better than they've been. We also lost Jacoby Jones from that group.

Sark's still got a good reputation in the coaching world, and he'll have PT all over to sell to transfers. They really just gotta work some roster magic to make the numbers work.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

You don’t see him when he checks his bank balance. It’s like hitting the lotto every month. 

You want him to flip out on the sidelines and throw a temper tantrum. I would imagine things are different when the cameras aren’t on him. But I don’t know either. I’m just glad he isn’t showing his ass when it would be easy to do so.

• Fuck You 2

Just now, Texaspython said:

You want him to flip out on the sidelines and throw a temper tantrum. I would imagine things are different when the cameras aren’t on him. But I don’t know either. I’m just glad he isn’t showing his ass when it would be easy to do so.

I just know that what he’s doing isn’t working. I also know that he doesn’t even work the refs after bad calls.

He doesn’t seem to have very many redeeming qualities. Maybe he’s nice. And his wallet is fat. 

This season has been a wash in the players mind since the OU collapse.  They let one loss turn into two, into three, etc.  Classic mistake.

Its tough to say if Sark could have fixed this or not.  Time will tell.  I think we need consistency more than anything right now to help heal this 10 year wound.  Idk if we are gonna get it though because PK is probably gone.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, DiceHands said:

Its tough to say if Sark could have fixed this or not.  Time will tell.  I think we need consistency more than anything right now to help heal this 10 year wound.  Idk if we are gonna get it though because PK is probably gone.

We’ve been pretty fucking consistent since 2010. 

Just now, DiceHands said:

This season has been a wash in the players mind since the OU collapse.  They let one loss turn into two, into three, etc.  Classic mistake.

The same people who wanted Mack gone are the same people shitting on Sark. This ain’t an easy fix. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, bullet said:

Strong had an NFL QB at UL and then at USF took a strong program and turned it into 4-8 and has them looking at probation.

Mackovic had the same failings here that he had at Illinois.  Mack always finished 2nd at UNC and generally did the same here.  Hermann would win a big game unexpectedly and lose to an SMU unexpectedly and did the same here.  Charlie was unproven and was just incompetent, kind of like David McWilliams but worse.  Sark was mediocre in his previous stops.

Yeah but you can't tell me that all of those coaches -- except Mack, at first -- just happened to get much worse when you hand them the keys to what should be a Cadillac of a program. 

Yes Bridgewater and Ward were excellent QBs who papered over the flaws of their coaches but neither of them was VY, Cam or Joe Burrow. 

There is systemic rot at the heart of our football program. Idk why people want to defend the boosters but some do. Are you yourself a meddlesome booster? Anyway, it's beyond a run of bad luck or coincidence at this point. Why does blowU succeed and we fail, year after year?

You have to look at the constants in the background because the foreground keeps shifting. 

There's my booster theory. Sometimes I give in to the "It's Austin" line of thinking -- that kids come here and are ruined by the tail and the partying, whether they succumb once they get to Austin, or they are attracted to Austin because that's what they want to do. Lord knows I've seen it happen with many a promising young musician from places like Dallas and Houston or small towns. As the son of a very famous Texas music legend once told me years ago "Yeah, they come here ready to set the world on fire, then they get a hot girlfriend, a pot dealer, a job at Thundercloud Subs and that's the last you ever hear of them."

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

The wound will be healed by a good coach.

Since firing Mack our highlight has been a .650 coach bookended by two sub .500 coaches who both lost to Kansas. 

Our roster is 2/3 blue chips, which doesn't mean everything if some pieces are missing (see: Clemson) but it does mean that it's not a roster problem when we lose to teams with 2-3 blue chips. 

Edited by Disco Missile
Words

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

It pains me to agree with this, but this is true. I am born and raised in Texas and am the only member of my family to leave the state. This is an accurate view of the association people generallly have of Texas and Texans when you travel outside of the state. The bullseye will be there for every single game no matter the opponent.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Disco Missile said:

Our roster is 2/3 blue chips, which doesn't mean everything if some pieces are missing (see: Clemson) but it does mean that it's not a roster problem when we lose to teams with 2-3 blue chips. 

To be fair, a team of undeveloped blue chips will lose to a team of lower rated but developed upperclassmen every time. Freshman usually aren't good for a reason. The question is whether this staff will develop those blue chips (Herman didn't). Early returns not good..

We can call our roster blue chips. But they are overrated dog shit.  No spine. No heart soft as charmin overrated dog shit. Can’t tackle. Can’t cover can’t shed a block can’t run faster than 5.0 40. We have 2 blue chips. They rest are 2 stars that got a Texas bump because they played ball in Texas. This is the biggest collection of of fucking losers on one team that I’ve ever seen. The worst aggy team in history would skull fuck this team. It has nothing to do with development. They can’t play basic fundamental football taught at the peewee level 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Hook 'Em 8

I don't know what the narrative is going into next year. There's nothing we actually do well and we regressed over the season. It's hard to point to any player or unit that has gotten better. I guess you could say Sark does a good job of manufacturing points despite poor QB and o-line play. That's inconsistent though and highly dependent on Bijan and Worthy making exceptional plays. The defense isn't good at anything. We can't stop the run, can't stop the pass, can't tackle. We played poorly on the road all season and then lost to Kansas at home. What do you build on when you don't do anything well?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

We can call our roster blue chips. But they are overrated dog shit.  No spine. No heart soft as charmin overrated dog shit. Can’t tackle. Can’t cover can’t shed a block can’t run faster than 5.0 40. We have 2 blue chips. They rest are 2 stars that got a Texas bump because they played ball in Texas. This is the biggest collection of of fucking losers on one team that I’ve ever seen. The worst aggy team in history would skull fuck this team. It has nothing to do with development. They can’t play basic fundamental football taught at the peewee level 

Yep.  I dont see any players holding each other accountable.  They simply do not give a fuck.  If they did, they would be fucking pissed that theyre about to look like the worst Texas team in recent history.  Instead theyre laughing it up on the bus ride home.