Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

On 1/31/2020 at 2:06 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Another lost aggy ring.  

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3092035

Losing an Aggie ring is a kick in the dick for sure. Lost mine the night of the SHSU game in 2013. It either got stolen when I took it off to crap or slid off unbeknownst to me.

Um, he has to take his ring off to take a crap?  How deep is he wiping?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

33 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

Losing an Aggie ring is a kick in the dick for sure. Lost mine the night of the SHSU game in 2013. It either got stolen when I took it off to crap or slid off unbeknownst to me.

Um, he has to take his ring off to take a crap?  How deep is he wiping?

How deep was he wiping his buddy?

10 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

As a lefty I've wiped with my wedding ring on for years, never had any problems.  Never got shit in my ring, never scratched my anus with it. I never even thought it might I'm any way be an issue until I read that post. 

It must be the engraving of all 1,000 aggy traditions on that ring that cause the anal pain when they wipe. Seriously there is a lot of shit on that ring.

4 hours ago, Modessit said:

But if someone gets picky and says it should be 09:

Yes, there are several examples of palindromic dates, but the reason today is notable is that it is a palindrome whether in the MM/DD/YYYY format, the DD/MM/YYYY format OR the YYYY/MM/DD.  The last time that happened was almost 909 years ago on 11-11-1111. That info is not always included by those pointing out the palindrome.

The more you know... 

Edited by Hizzaz Mahdoud
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

As a lefty I've wiped with my wedding ring on for years, never had any problems.  Never got shit in my ring, never scratched my anus with it. I never even thought it might I'm any way be an issue until I read that post. 

User name doesn't check out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

LMAO, of course Gabe Cuck and texaggy would try to latch on to winners like this. They did the same comparison when Clemson won the NC with Watson. 

The Chiefs have managed to put together two consecutive years with a winning record in conference play since before 1998, so no, the Chiefs aren't a lot like the "aggy of the NFL."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TexasMan said:

LMAO, of course Gabe Cuck and texaggy would try to latch on to winners like this. They did the same comparison when Clemson won the NC with Watson. 

why does this remind me of the kid I knew in college (1993 timeframe) whose three favorite pro sports teams were the Cowboys, Bulls, and Blue Jays?

I would challenge Gabe to name the last champion in either college or the NFL that is NOT a lot like the Aggies to his reckoning. Even the ones that win all the time like Alabama or Ohio State are just "A&M with more hardware" to hear an Aggie tell it. No advantages, just some lucky trophies here and there.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Cleveland won a ton with Otto graham and Jim brown and Marion motley. They are much more accomplished than aggy.  

That was the "old" Cleveland Browns aka the Ravens.

This iteration of the Cleveland Browns came into being in 1999. Anything before that is fiction...pretty much the same way aggy's history has been written.

It sounded like a perfect situation. Norton accepted the job, sight unseen. Then he arrived in Aggieland. What he found was not exactly the way it had been portrayed or what he had expected.

Norton toured the stark campus. He discovered empty athletic coffers. He found skeletons in the closets…and on the roster. The dire financial situation of the athletic department threatened the future of the football program.

While he was impressed by Kyle Field's splendor, he was equally disturbed by the stadium's bonded debt of $210,000. Times had been so bleak in 1933 that the athletic department had only managed to pay the interest of its debt. Tickets had been slashed to $1.50 apiece, but in the midst of economic uncertainty, filling seats was a significant problem.

A&M did not even have money for scholarships, and the university could not supply enough jobs—mess hall waiters, uniform pressers, candy salesmen, etc.—to attract potential student-athletes with supplemental funding. Football players were already forced to live four to a room in “project houses” near the south end of the stadium.

Then there was the roster, which was at least as bleak as the bank accounts. At a summer Houston A&M Club meeting in 1934, Norton, according to the book, The Twelfth Man, told the group: “This coming season doesn't look too good. We'll win a few games and for the next year I can't raise your hopes by promising any better than we can expect this year. We need scholarships. Perhaps by 1936 we can offer scholarships. So maybe by 1937…”

Before he completed his sentence, a man in the audience interrupted: “Never mind telling us about 1937, Homer. If you haven't started winning by then, you won't be around.”

Fortunately for Norton, it didn't take as long to show signs of progress as he'd expected. His first two years were predictably tough. A&M went 2-7-2 in 1934 and 3-7 the following year. But the Aggies won some recruiting battles.

In 1934, A&M landed Joe Routt, a guard who would become the first All-American in school history. Then in '35, Norton managed to convince Dick Todd, a sensational running back from a tiny West Texas town called Crowell, to come to A&M.

Norton was gaining some ground in recruiting, which paid off in 1936 when the Aggies won eight games. While A&M was rising in the standings, however, it was still sinking into an abyss of debt.

The mounting economic pressures sent Norton to the Mayo Brothers Clinic for ulcer surgery in 1936, and by the spring of 1937, he'd concluded that there was only one way A&M could ever emerge from the depths of its financial black hole: Win big and fill up the stadium.

To win big, though, he needed a full class of top-flight athletes like Joe Routt and Dick Todd. That would take money. Big money.

But first things first: Norton assigned enterprising trainer and assistant coach Lilburn “Lil” Dimmitt to compile a list of the 40 best players in Texas. As Dimmitt began that painstaking process, Norton calculated costs. He figured it would take at least $25,000 to recruit those 40 players and lure them to A&M with scholarships.

Norton then called Bert Pfaff, a wealthy electrical engineer and A&M alumnus. He arranged a meeting at Pfaff's Dallas bank—attended by Pfaff, Dimmitt and himself—where he unveiled his seemingly outrageous loan request for $25,000. The banker initially scoffed at the notion, citing the huge debt Texas A&M already owed and one Norton had inherited when he became head coach.

Then Pfaff, who had $400,000 in his personal account with the bank, threatened to move his money elsewhere. The banker experienced an instant change of heart.

“If you get this money, when will you go after these 40 boys?” he asked.

“My car is parked across the street,” Dimmitt replied. “As soon as I know Homer has the money I will be on my way to get the first one.”

“Well, you're looking at the craziest banker in Texas. You have the money.”

Within one hour of that conversation, Dimmitt signed one of the players on his list, Fort Worth North Side quarterback Marion Pugh. Soon afterward, Jim Thomason, Tommie Vaughn, Marshall Robnett and many others on the list signed with the Aggies.

Overall, 37 of the 40 players on Dimmitt's list signed, and 23 of them wound up in Aggieland the following fall. Those players became the nucleus of the 1939 national championship team, and Pfaff made sure they stayed in shape and had enough money to stay in school

“Bert furnished summer and Christmas vacation jobs in the East Texas oilfields,” the late Howard Shelton, a reserve center on the '39 national title team, told 12th Man Magazine. “He paid regular wages—nothing special because we were football players—and we worked our tails off. We had to work. Our scholarships provided for room, board, tuition and $5 a month. Without Bert's jobs, many of the boys would have had to quit school.”

ran across an article on an aggy site, apparently the station was "lit" back in the 30's.  Story about their 1 (ONE) AP championship and their coach.   They took out a loan through one of their boosters to pay players.  

Also, their stadium put them into so much debt they were barely able to make interest payments, nearly got the tackle box foreclosed.  

Spoilered because it's long, though just a part of the whole article.  TL;DR aggy always gone aggy. 

On 1/30/2020 at 6:15 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

So my wife’s cousin posted a pic of her son, bragging about how he graduated from BLA (I think that’s the acronym) in the army. We didn’t know what it was so we looked it up and it’s something noncommissioned officers take. 
he was in the aggy corp for 4 years before joining the army. Is it normal to not get a commission when you are in a rotc program?  I don’t know anything about military stuff like that. 

That's Basic Leader's Course (I'm guessing) which is taken when promoted to Sgt.  

Yeah, some guys choose to enlist when they are eligible to be commissioned.  IIRC, if you were on scholarship for ROTC, you are obligated to accept a commission.  

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Aggy fake army is NOT ROTC nor in anyway officially tied to any military.

Basically, going to Texas and being part of a fraternity that claims to be "military" and not being in ROTC at UT would be the exact same thing as fake army at aggy.

It's a "fraternity" of weird fucks that are probably largely closet homosexuals (NTTIAWWT).

Because A&M is a "senior military college," an aggy frat member can participate in ROTC all four years (reaping the financial benefits and insisting constantly that he is on active military duty), and not be obligated to accept a commission upon graduation.

Think of it as "dumbed down" ROTC.

large.621678827_aggy_ralphcopy.jpg.8cd2ba3594b8914dd1d5751c11265561.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Because A&M is a "senior military college," an aggy frat member can participate in ROTC all four years (reaping the financial benefits and insisting constantly that he is on active military duty), and not be obligated to accept a commission upon graduation.

Think of it as "dumbed down" ROTC.

large.621678827_aggy_ralphcopy.jpg.8cd2ba3594b8914dd1d5751c11265561.jpg

Please tell me that this is not the case.  I always thought that there were corps turds, and ROTC corps turds.  I thought that the ROTC corps turds got the option their junior year, to stay in the ROTC program, so upon graduation, they take a commission into a branch of the Armed Forces, and fulfill their military obligation.  Even that, is pretty chickenshit due to the fact that if they opt out, and just stay a corps turd, they've still used scholarship money to get to their senior year.  I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with any corps turd who goes on to serve in one of the branches of the military, other than the route they chose to do so.

Edited by Homesickhorn

20 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

Please tell me that this is not the case.  I always thought that there were corps turds, and ROTC corps turds.  I thought that the ROTC corps turds got the option their junior year, to stay in the ROTC program, so upon graduation, they take a commission into a branch of the Armed Forces, and fulfill their military obligation.  Even that, is pretty chickenshit due to the fact that if they opt out, and just stay a corps turd, they've still used scholarship money to get to their senior year.  I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with any corps turd who goes on to serve in one of the branches of the military, other than the route they chose to do so.

We don't just make this shit up.

At other universities, students who participate in that program must sign a commission agreement prior to entering their upper level courses or third year of attendance. At an SMC, such an agreement is optional, even if students take ROTC courses all four years.

https://onlinemilitaryeducation.org/faq/what-is-a-senior-military-college/

Of the 65,000 students on the aggy campus, each year about 200 graduate, end their days of wearing fake military costumes and insist everyone thank them for their service, and then actually are commissioned into the U.S. military.

200 per class, four classes, 3,000 fake army fraternity brothers. If the numbers hold, 800 of the 3,000 aggy fake army fraternity children enrolled as of today will actually serve their country. Just under 27%.

Edited by Randolph Duke

According to their Wiki page, they're claiming 45%.  

SIAP, but I love this site.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=19&ved=2ahUKEwjHoevx47jnAhUERKwKHXoIC8wQFjASegQIBhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.duffelblog.com%2F2019%2F09%2Ftexas-am-corps-of-cadets-found-guilty-of-143-years-of-stolen-valor%2F&usg=AOvVaw11WXmHPEwEQt5YE5xfJZSm

“The fact that these kids and this institution have let this go on for over a century is unconscionable,” says lead investigator Winston Hughes. “While it does not appear any of the cadets were able to translate their fake military status into getting laid, the vast majority did attempt to get free apps at the local Chili’s every Veterans’ Day.”

Edited by Homesickhorn
  • Like 2