Gun Control

Heavy 6

3 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Yeah, so when the cops take 36 minutes to get there it's okay to stab people with knives cause..... What the other people would have knives instead of guns to protect themselves? Seems reasonable

Or a board with a nail, a pointy stick, piece of pipe, big rock, small rock, leather belt, thick jacket, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Illinois wants to require fingerprints for gun and ammunition purchases:

https://www.wifr.com/content/news/Illinois-bill-would-require-fingerprints-for-gun-purchases-508438751.html

The "Fix the FOID Act," also known as HB 96, is designed to strengthen the Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card system. The bill would help ensure that people with a violent criminal history, who are prohibited from gun possession, cannot work around the law and arm themselves.

Under the bill, people looking to purchase a gun would be required to "include a full set of his or her fingerprints in electronic format to the Department of State Police for the purpose of identity verification."

That "FOID" card is required to possess guns and ammunition in Illinois.

Californians had a week to legally purchase standard-capacity magazines:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/For-one-week-high-capacity-gun-magazines-were-13757973.php

A ban on the sale of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds has been a linchpin of California’s efforts to prevent mass shootings for nearly two decades.

But in the span of a single week after a federal judge temporarily set aside the prohibition, hundreds of thousands of the devices, if not millions, made their way into the hands of state residents, industry leaders say.

The run on high-capacity magazines from March 29 to April 5 — so fervid that online traffic from gun enthusiasts around the state crashed at least one retail website — was hailed as “Freedom Week” by the California Rifle and Pistol Association and criticized as an alarming safety breach by gun-control advocates.

go by Judge Roger Benitez, who said the sales ban on the magazines violated the Second Amendment, was stayed last week pending a challenge to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. But not before it triggered a celebratory frenzy as dealers courted customers in California, many offering discounts amid a mass shift of inventory to the Golden State.

“There was a huge pent-up demand for these standard-capacity magazines,” said Chuck Michel, a lawyer for the National Rifle Association and the president of the California Rifle and Pistol Association, contending that the magazines that have been off-limits should not be referred to as “high-capacity.”

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48076262

The agreement, signed by Barack Obama in 2013, aims to regulate the sale of weapons between countries.

The US National Rifle Association says the treaty amounts to international gun control, and is a threat to America's second amendment right to bear arms.

Speaking at the lobbying group's annual meeting, Mr Trump said he would ask the US Senate not to ratify the pact.

The US is the world's top arms exporter. Its weapons sales are 58% higher than those of Russia, the world's second largest exporter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The fate of a disabled U.S. Army veteran convicted of possessing an untaxed firearm suppressor is in the hands of the Supreme Court, which is slated to issue a decision this Thursday.

Jeremy Kettler has been appealing to the higher courts since his November 2016 conviction in Kansas of possessing a suppressor he purchased to avoid worsening his hearing loss suffered during his military service – possession that allegedly violated the National Firearms Act (NFA) ...

Kettler failed to pay a $200 tax and file ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) paperwork to register the suppressor, which he purchased from a local Army-Navy surplus store. The owner of the store, Shane Cox, was not licensed to manufacture such accessories, and was also found guilty for illegal manufacture and marketing.

Although federal law requires silencers to be registered per the NFA, Kansas state law says that all firearms, accessories and ammo manufactured and possessed inside the state are exempt from federal law.

The suppressors were stamped with “Made in Kansas,” and both Kettler and Cox argued that they were acting in accordance with Kansas’ Second Amendment Protection Act.

Kettler noted this point in his appeals, arguing that the NFA was “an invalid exercise of Congress’ power to tax.” His lawyers argued that the tax only exists as a form of gun control.
The Supreme Court is expected to issue a decision on June 6.

More:  https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/06/supreme-court-to-rule-on-us-army-vets-unconstitutional-gun-suppressor-this-week-after-national-controversy/

You knew things were fucked when a bunch of children got murdered, and instead of immediately being motivated to protect more children from being murdered, conservatives instead rushed to protect the "tool" that was used to do the murdering.

We could have reasonable gun control, but no. These idiots who want unfettered gun rights are gonna ruin it for everyone else.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Seems like that guy was just trying to pick a fight about suppressors and federal/state law. Almost as if someone wanted to find the perfect defendant: disabled vet.

Yes, at the moment. The party out of power always seems to find its bearings wrt the constitution and fiscal constraint in their role as opposition party. We all know what happens when the table turn. Timeflatcircle.gif

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yes, at the moment. The party out of power always seems to find its bearings wrt the constitution and fiscal constraint in their role as opposition party. We all know what happens when the table turn. Timeflatcircle.gif

Are you saying... Both sides? 

54 minutes ago, Nivek said:

They are called democrats.

Domestic spying on journalists

Obamacare, Dodd-Frank

“We Can’t Wait” initiative

Libya intervention just "kinetic military action" 

Chrysler Bailout

IRS targeting political opponents

DACA and DAPA

“We can’t wait for an increasingly dysfunctional Congress to do its job. Where they won’t act, I will.”

—President Barack Obama

emoji-laughing-tears.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

On August 12, 2019, at about 9:52 p.m., in Omaha, Nebraska, an apartment resident named Mark had some friends visiting him. He heard persistent knocking at the door. It got louder, so he looked out the peephole. Outside, he saw an unknown man at the door with another behind him who had a mask on.

He locked the door and went to get his rifle, a Ruger AR 556 (AR-15 clone). In the video, just as he returns, the door is kicked in with a rear spear type kick. As the home invader turns around, he sees the rifle pointed at him, and flees, all in less than two seconds, according to the camera clock.
Mark did a good job. He was aware. He had an effective self-defense tool easily available and knew how to use it. In my opinion, Mark would have been justified in shooting the home invader. Mark reports to John he did not see any weapons, so he made the split-second decision not to shoot.

It worked well in this case.  If he had been further from the door, he might have had a bit more time to make the decision.

There was no news coverage of this defensive use of the AR-15 type rifle. Mark reported the incident to police.  We are told they arrived in five minutes. They took a report. No arrests have been reported.

A simple police report will not show up as a defensive gun use (DGU)  in the FBI Uniform Crime Reports (UCR). The FBI UCR does not have a category for defensive gun uses. They have a category for justified homicides. It only catches about 20% of justified homicides. Justified homicides are a tiny fraction of defensive gun uses.

More (including video):  https://www.ammoland.com/2019/09/home-invasion-stopped-with-ar-15-ruger-ar-556-video/

Edited by bernorange

The Democrats fiscally constrain themselves when in power, see: paygo rules

• 1 month later...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/12/business/remington-sandy-hook-supreme-court/index.html

The Supreme Court won't stop a lawsuit brought by Sandy Hook victims' families against Remington Arms Co., the manufacturer of the semi-automatic rifle that was used in the 2012 mass shooting at an elementary school.

The Court decided not to take up an appeal by Remington. That marks a blow to the gun industry: Depending on the outcome of the case, it could open the door to gun violence victims' families suing gun manufacturers for damages.

Not sure what effect it will have, since Remington isn't responsible for letting the shooter buy/obtain the gun.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Remington probably didn't make the magazines for it. There are plenty of old school hunting rifles that could do the same if someone made the proper magazines for them.

They didn't have to make them accept magazines. /devilsadvocate

• 1 month later...

Stirred awake by Democratic proposals to take, register, and possibly seize their legally obtained weapons, Virginia gun owners in just 43 days have pushed 90% of the state’s counties to become gun “sanctuaries,” the latest three on Monday night.

Since the Nov. 5 election that gave Democrats control of Richmond, an “organic,” pro-gun movement has prompted the governments of 86 of Virginia’s 95 counties, as well as 15 towns and cities, to adopt some type of sanctuary language, putting Gov. Ralph Northam and other liberals on notice that their gun control plans aren’t welcome.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/uprising-90-of-virginia-counties-join-gun-sanctuary-movement-expands-to-9-states

Am I the only one who finds it kind of insane that people are using the word "sanctuary" when referring to an inanimate object that people think they need to shelter away like it's a child?  Gun culture in America is sick.

sanc·tu·ar·y
/ˈsaNGk(t)SHəˌwerē/

noun
noun: sanctuary; plural noun: sanctuaries

a place of refuge or safety.
"his sons took sanctuary in the church"

a nature reserve.
"a bird sanctuary"

a holy place; a temple or church.

On 12/14/2019 at 11:59 AM, Parliament said:

Virginia is debating a large gun control bill that involves mandatory registration. It is not universally liked.
https://www.newsweek.com/virginia-state-representative-suggests-national-guard-called-force-enforcement-new-gun-1477242
f4c525b08f15e2d79cbf08f06c014399.jpg

Interesting in a way. It's like the inverse of the immigration sanctuary cities. In those cases, local law enforcement are refusing to enforce federal law. Here, local law enforcement is refusing to follow local law, so the gov may call in the National Guard.

• 3 weeks later...

Kansas City and a national gun safety advocacy group filed a lawsuit Tuesday alleging that several businesses and individuals trafficked firearms in the region while willfully ignoring evidence that the guns were being sold illegally.

The city was joined in the lawsuit by Everytown for Gun Safety Support Fund, a national gun safety advocacy group, which said it is the first such lawsuit filed against the gun industry in more than 10 years. The lawsuit alleges that the gun trafficking created a public nuisance in Kansas City, which has one of the highest homicide rates in the U.S.

They're going after Jimenez Arms for selling to an unlicensed dealer.  Jimenez is a low-tier manufacturer, and they may have a legit case.

https://www.kctv5.com/news/local_news/kansas-city-files-federal-lawsuit-over-weapons-trafficking/article_ceaa78f4-3174-11ea-86ef-c3bea7c0be9f.html

On 12/18/2019 at 3:34 PM, Foosters said:

Interesting in a way. It's like the inverse of the immigration sanctuary cities. In those cases, local law enforcement are refusing to enforce federal law. Here, local law enforcement is refusing to follow local law, so the gov may call in the National Guard.

the conservatives used to hate and make fun of sanctuary cities.  now they are creating them.

6 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I'm reading a bunch of hearsay about shenanigans happening in Virginia with public hearings and protestors.  Some militia and 2nd Amendment groups planning a large rally on Jan 20.  Hopefully things don't get out of hand.

I'm sure cooler heads will prevail

Not really in line with the discussions immediately above, but wanted to offer what I thought was an interesting anecdote from my daughter.  She was home over the holidays from her first semester of college in Montreal.  Her classmates are mostly Canadian and European, with a fair number of Americans as well (but Americans are definitely a minority -- less than 10% of the student body).

It took her and her American friends a couple of months to realize it, but they ended up having various discussions among themselves where they realized that they all have mild PTSD as a result of growing up as school children in America.  I asked her what she meant by it (PTSD seemed like a pretty strong term to me), and she explained that they all noted some subtle differences: a loud noise makes the American students jump and look around to see if there's a threat, whereas the Canadians and Euros are much more casual when it happens.  The American students instinctively look around and determine positions of cover, exits, and escape routes when they enter a new classroom or lecture hall.  When they relate that experience to the Canadians and Euros, they look at the Americans like they're nuts.

Bottom line, the American kids have a baseline fear and awareness of the risk of getting shot everywhere they go, whereas the Canadians and Euros are relatively carefree in that respect.

"Jump when you hear a loud noise."  "Scan the environment for exits and cover."  Those are things we expect to hear about a soldier who has returned from a combat zone, and combat understandably altered the shit out of his way of being in the world.  But in a place where she can compare her approach with non-Americans, she realized that it's also something we know about....American school kids.

Yeah, this is anecdotal, I'm not aware of a scientific study, but it makes sense, and seems to be an accurate observation.

That's pretty fucked up.

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Not really in line with the discussions immediately above, but wanted to offer what I thought was an interesting anecdote from my daughter.  She was home over the holidays from her first semester of college in Montreal.  Her classmates are mostly Canadian and European, with a fair number of Americans as well (but Americans are definitely a minority -- less than 10% of the student body).

It took her and her American friends a couple of months to realize it, but they ended up having various discussions among themselves where they realized that they all have mild PTSD as a result of growing up as school children in America.  I asked her what she meant by it (PTSD seemed like a pretty strong term to me), and she explained that they all noted some subtle differences: a loud noise makes the American students jump and look around to see if there's a threat, whereas the Canadians and Euros are much more casual when it happens.  The American students instinctively look around and determine positions of cover, exits, and escape routes when they enter a new classroom or lecture hall.  When they relate that experience to the Canadians and Euros, they look at the Americans like they're nuts.

Bottom line, the American kids have a baseline fear and awareness of the risk of getting shot everywhere they go, whereas the Canadians and Euros are relatively carefree in that respect.

"Jump when you hear a loud noise."  "Scan the environment for exits and cover."  Those are things we expect to hear about a soldier who has returned from a combat zone, and combat understandably altered the shit out of his way of being in the world.  But in a place where she can compare her approach with non-Americans, she realized that it's also something we know about....American school kids.

Yeah, this is anecdotal, I'm not aware of a scientific study, but it makes sense, and seems to be an accurate observation.

That's pretty fucked up.

That’s interesting. If that were related to me, I’d look at them like they were nuts too. Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’ve never thought that way (or known of others who have). Of course, I’m obviously older than your daughter. So I’m curious as to when this shift-if, indeed, there is such a shift-occurred.

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

That’s interesting. If that were related to me, I’d look at them like they were nuts too. Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’ve never thought that way (or known of others who have). Of course, I’m obviously older than your daughter. So I’m curious as to when this shift-if, indeed, there is such a shift-occurred.

Probably when a bunch of school-aged kids kept on getting shot and no one did anything, so schools started teaching active shooter drills.  

• Like 1

Situational awareness is not the same thing as PTSD.  I'm hyper aware of abnormal noise events in my home.  25 years living with someone with uncontrolled seizures will do that.  And honestly, training that prepares one for emergency action to mitigate worst case situations is not a bad thing.