Worst Casting

Parliament

On 8/5/2020 at 4:44 AM, Bama Llama said:

Studio Fat Cats: Okay, Coppola, we're looking for a debonair, dynamic, charismatic-yet-vulnerable British actor with a great accent to portray a young Victorian lawyer who travels to Transylvania and encounters the fearsome Count Dracula.

Coppola:  How about Keanu Reeves?

Fat Cats (smack own foreheads, pop Xanax):  Are you high!?  What the fuck?  We want oscars!

Coppola:  I quit if Reeves is not in the picture.

Fat Cats (horrified, exchanging glances): Wait, wait, wait.  Okay, okay.

Result: Keanu sodomizes the King's English for two hiurs but Bram Stoker's Dracula wins three oscars anyway.  Go figure.

I kept waiting for him to say "Wheaaaauuuu!" and "Aaaaawwwww-summmm!"

Oldman, Hopkins, rich costumes, skilled makeup artists and sexy succubi saved it.  The opening carriage ride from the village tavern to the castle always gives me the willies in every Dracula film, as does this line:

(Wolves howling)

The Count:  "Lessten to the cheeldren of the night - wott byewteeful mewsic thay myeek."  

Cue gooseflesh

I was expecting a "Wooah, most heinous old dude" out of Reeves

2 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Wife and I have been watching the Jack Ryan series with Halpert. He is not good in this role. His serious face is awful and painful to watch.

I watched Ryan before I started the Office.  Started discussing it with my grown sons, who know The Office frontwards and backwards and they, too, say they can't take Halpert seriously as a tough guy/ intellectual warrior.

• 2 months later...
The kid obsessed with Zeppelin in Almost Famous. 

image.thumb.jpeg.746315ca0d0b26dff7983e12fbe0a145.jpeg

Disagree. He’s as much a goofy fanboy as F Lee Ermey is a hardass drill sergeant.

Casting in Almost Famous was great. Eclectic, so there were some oddball choices. In some cases inspired. Frances McDormand, Kate Hudson, and PSH were amazing in it.

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Disagree. He’s as much a goofy fanboy as F Lee Ermey is a hardass drill sergeant.

Casting in Almost Famous was great. Eclectic, so there were some oddball choices. In some cases inspired. Frances McDormand, Kate Hudson, and PSH were amazing in it.

Must have forgotten about Jimmy Fallon.

• Like 1

Yeah, there really wasn't any bad casting in "Almost Famous."  The secondary characters were all pitch-perfect---Zooey, Noah taylork, Anna Paquin, the Ben Fong Torres actor, Rainn Wilson, even comics like Nick Swardson and the legend-Mitch Hedberg.  Everybody was so spot-on, blended into the era and the film so perfectly.  

bad casting---anything and everything where either Katherine Heigl or Moira Kelly show up.  There they are, just waiting to suck.  Neither is funny, neither is attractive, and both have the acting range of Stephen Hawking doing an A.J. Soprano homage.  

18 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Yep, he was perfect, nerdy kid loving, idolizing, following, doing the whole groupie thing for his favorite rock band....

Yeah, he was good in that.  That was a great book and he brought Lipsky to life pretty well.  Eisenberg was also good in the Zombieland flicks and his breakout role in "rodger dodger"  

He has been excruciating to watch in everything else I've seen him in (admittedly, not that many movies).  

Yeah, he was good in that.  That was a great book and he brought Lipsky to life pretty well.  Eisenberg was also good in the Zombieland flicks and his breakout role in "rodger dodger"  
He has been excruciating to watch in everything else I've seen him in (admittedly, not that many movies).  

Back in the day, I rented Rodger Dodger at least twice and never got around to watching it. Haven’t thought about it since then. Worth seeking out? It’s streaming on Prime.

I'd check it out.  Campbell Scott is great in it.  Eisenberg is a bit trite even by his standards, but rolls with the seasons ensemble cast well.  It's funny, and a good drunk watch.  Jennifer Beals is just gorgeous in every sense of the word.  It seems odd to see her like that 15+ years after her breakout, but she's even more beautiful.  I dunno, it may ring flat.  It may remind you of being a young guy on the prowl in the late 90's/early 2000's as many of us on this site were.  But the cavalcade of actors somehow proves elegant and just fucking funny.  It's not terribly dependent on era, but I also suspect it may not hold up great.  I'd tie one on or get stoned and watch it.  It's really just a curious clash of personalities inside a script that I thought worked rather well all things considered.  Check it out and don't overthink Eisenberg telegraphing his desire to be a less charming/less funny Michael Cera at the time.  The kid was great in the role.  And that was that.  

• 2 months later...
78627554e3df48a02967028237bc6df76b4354a8.jpg?mw=600

i feel like the lead in this kingsman have been plenty easy to cast.  i'd look for a young keanu kind of guy.  like have jon snow or something.  he ends up looking dorky both as a hood at the beginning and as a pretty boy in the suit.

Seemed fine. Had a great comic and action chops. Carried the movie at times and made it fresher than another comic book movie. Was supposed to be a bit out of place or dorky.

Jon Snow or a young Keanu? No thanks.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Not gonna read the whole thread, but I assume we are all in agreement that Maggie in Caddyshack is #1 all time in this category.  And while we're at it, Rodney as Al Czervik may be the best cast character of all-time.

Moose Rocko, help the Judge find his wallet!

9 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Not gonna read the whole thread, but I assume we are all in agreement that Maggie in Caddyshack is #1 all time in this category.  And while we're at it, Rodney as Al Czervik may be the best cast character of all-time.

Dan Akroyd rebooting Bill Murray’s character in Caddyshack 2 was real bad..... on second thought, the entire movie and the entire cast was really bad.

• Like 2

Dan Akroyd rebooting Bill Murray’s character in Caddyshack 2 was real bad..... on second thought, the entire movie and the entire cast was really bad.

I don’t recall anything at all about that movie other than it sucked.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Obviously didn’t happen, but Robin Williams was originally supposed to be the Duke in Midnight Run, but the director pushed so hard for Charles Grodin that Paramount (I think) backed out. Williams’ manic thing would have sucked ass compared to Grodin’s demeanor....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Obviously didn’t happen, but Robin Williams was originally supposed to be the Duke in Midnight Run, but the director pushed so hard for Charles Grodin that Paramount (I think) backed out. Williams’ manic thing would have sucked ass compared to Grodin’s demeanor....

This is a great example of dodging a massive bullet, and I'll one up you on how bad the casting could have been. Paramount originally owned the rights to the film. They wanted the Madukas character recast as a woman so there could be a sexual tension between Jack and "Duke." And they suggested Cher be cast in that part. The director (Martin Brest) said "fuck no." That's when the Paramount execs tried to push Williams because they wanted a big name to co-star with De Niro since this was his first comedic role. Brest had already auditioned Grodin with De Niro and both Brest and De Niro loved what Grodin brought to the role and that's why he was cast. Paramount also pushed Bruce Willis as a possibility because they thought he'd at least bring a macho, sex appeal that Grodin lacked. Brest again stuck to his guns. Paramount thought it was going to be a bomb so they sold the rights to Universal and the rest is history. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

This is a great example of dodging a massive bullet, and I'll one up you on how bad the casting could have been. Paramount originally owned the rights to the film. They wanted the Madukas character recast as a woman so there could be a sexual tension between Jack and "Duke." And they suggested Cher be cast in that part. The director (Martin Brest) said "fuck no." That's when the Paramount execs tried to push Williams because they wanted a big name to co-star with De Niro since this was his first comedic role. Brest had already auditioned Grodin with De Niro and both Brest and De Niro loved what Grodin brought to the role and that's why he was cast. Paramount also pushed Bruce Willis as a possibility because they thought he'd at least bring a macho, sex appeal that Grodin lacked. Brest again stuck to his guns. Paramount thought it was going to be a bomb so they sold the rights to Universal and the rest is history. 

Lulz at Cher in that role. Who was their backup, Sean Young?

40 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

I did not know any of this.  Holy shit did they ever dodge a bullet. Grodin was absolutely perfect for that role (as he always was for every role he played).  It's one of my favorite movies ever and it's due mostly to the chemistry and timing of De Niro and Grodin. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Why they decided to make her Irish and have a butch haircut is beyond me. The actress is pretty cute in Animal House.

5 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Tanks for nuttin'! 

Always wondered if she's meaning to say,  thanks for nothing or thanks for nuttin', since she was worried about being knocked up and all.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/6/2020 at 8:05 PM, CooterBrown said:

Back in the day, I rented Rodger Dodger at least twice and never got around to watching it. Haven’t thought about it since then. Worth seeking out? It’s streaming on Prime.

I liked it. Worth a watch if you've got nothing else going on. It was really early in his career so he didn't have the whole Jessie Eisenberg shtich down yet. 

Tanks for nuttin'! 
Always wondered if she's meaning to say,  thanks for nothing or thanks for nuttin', since she was worried about being knocked up and all.  

Ha. As many times as I’ve seen that movie it wouldn’t shock me if it had a dual meaning.

even the names of the characters in Caddyshack have dual meaning.  

I need to go back and watch Midnight Run.  Only saw it once right after it came out.  I like both those guys a lot more now.  Hope it's streaming somewhere cheap.  Guess you could say that about all my girls. 

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

even the names of the characters in Caddyshack have dual meaning.  

I need to go back and watch Midnight Run.  Only saw it once right after it came out.  I like both those guys a lot more now.  Hope it's streaming somewhere cheap.  Guess you could say that about all my girls. 

Holy Shit!! You of all people have only seen Midnight Run once??  Watch this weekend after a couple of stiff drinks and get back to this thread.  Grodin and De Niro are magic in that movie /no homo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Dude, tap the brakes on the cinematic lectures.  It took you like ten years after I met you to see the Godfather films.  You were trying to tell me about the "Short Circuit" franchise was the best thing about the 1980's or some shit.   I dunno, we were pretty drunk. 

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Dude, tap the brakes on the cinematic lectures.  It took you like ten years after I met you to see the Godfather films.  You were trying to tell me about the "Short Circuit" franchise was the best thing about the 1980's or some shit.   I dunno, we were pretty drunk. 

Definitely homo.....

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

And that's fair...but just as I've finally watched and embraced The Godfather , you need to rewatch Midnight Run.  It's one of the best movies of our lifetime.  /no homo

A few I don't recall seeing mentioned:

Alec Baldwin in Hunt for Red October.  That should've been Harrison Ford, imo. 

Ricky Schroeder as Newt in Lonesome Dove (full disclosure he's irritated TF out of me since Silver Spoons).  They made up for it by casting Diane Lane as Lori Darlin', though. 

Robert Iler as AJ in Sopranos.  No fucking way he pulls off playing Tony's son...too damn little and wimpy.  I suppose it could be said that he was cast very young and never grew into the role. 

20 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

A few I don't recall seeing mentioned:

Alec Baldwin in Hunt for Red October.  That should've been Harrison Ford, imo. 

Ricky Schroeder as Newt in Lonesome Dove (full disclosure he's irritated TF out of me since Silver Spoons).  They made up for it by casting Diane Lane as Lori Darlin', though. 

Robert Iler as AJ in Sopranos.  No fucking way he pulls off playing Tony's son...too damn little and wimpy.  I suppose it could be said that he was cast very young and never grew into the role. 

I thought AJ was portrayed perfectly as a spoiled shit who never had to work for anything. Like most suburban raised teens. Teens are unlikable and he nailed it. I  want to reach through the tv and slap him every time he showed up.

• Hook 'Em 5