Ask me anything about Agriculture

Parliament

I did this threat over at "the other place," and it was warmly received.  A few recent CR threads have involved ag, and it's time for this thread.  Anyway.

I work in agriculture.  In my case it's commodity grain production, but I do have some knowledge of animal ag, commercial vegetables and biotech.  I'll participate in this thread for as long as it stays civil.

Go!

Yes definitely. For one, urban sprawl, as wasteful as it is, takes up a very small percent of farmland every year. Imho, all these "rural homesteads" (horse people and similar) are worse. Makes it hard to spray, fertilizer, etc around all those fields.

Regarding "feeding the world," the problem has never been technology. The problem is politics and economic systems. Ie, if Africa had a western economic system, they'd make all their people as fat as us.

Yes definitely. For one, urban sprawl, as wasteful as it is, takes up a very small percent of farmland every year. Imho, all these "rural homesteads" (horse people and similar) are worse. Makes it hard to spray, fertilizer, etc around all those fields.

Regarding "feeding the world," the problem has never been technology. The problem is politics and economic systems. Ie, if Africa had a western economic system, they'd make all their people as fat as us.
I agree. Malthusian theory is wrong. Feeding 7+ billion people is possible now, and peak population is probably 10 billion. Distribution and politics is the only roadblock.

As agricultural cloning becomes the norm, how confident do you feel in our social preparedness for an all encompassing catastrophic plant disease?

im not trying to be sensational, but I know there were some very scary issues with both bananas and orchids over the last decade.

Edited by Doc Reeves

4 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

What would happen if all farming subsidies stopped tomorrow?

Not much would change.  Some marginal land would return to pasture and forest, but outsiders would not notice.

4 hours ago, Ben Tobin said:

Is "commodity grain production" the fancy pants way to say row croppin?

I think so.

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Thoughts on Allan Savory and his rotational grazing method?  It makes sense to me but I've only read about it.  Never seen it first hand 

It makes sense definitely, but seems too good to be true.

2 hours ago, BottleRocket said:

Can you explain "disaster farming" as it pertains to corn/cotton farming? 

I cannot

2 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Tobacco farmers would grow something edible.

Tobbaco has not been subsidized for a decade or so.

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

As agricultural cloning becomes the norm, how confident do you feel in our social preparedness for an all encompassing catastrophic plant disease?

im not trying to be sensational, but I know there were some very scary issues with both bananas and orchids over the last decade.

To be clear, NO animals and few plant crops are commercially cloned today.  Of course that may change.  I know bananas are for sure, and it does scare me.  Governments and ag industry are incredibly adept at responding and adapting to such crises, but there's no guarantee of an easy fix.

• Like 1

What about Hydroponics, such as vertical crops in green houses with LEDs? They supposedly use a fraction of water, don't use soil, grow faster due to artificial light cycling, and potentially safer (minimal need for pesticides, etc.) Is it economically viable on a large scale? Could solve lot of food related issues around the world where soil and irrigation are not optimal.

11 minutes ago, AeroHorn said:

What about Hydroponics, such as vertical crops in green houses with LEDs? They supposedly use a fraction of water, don't use soil, grow faster due to artificial light cycling, and potentially safer (minimal need for pesticides, etc.) Is it economically viable on a large scale? Could solve lot of food related issues around the world where soil and irrigation are not optimal.

LED's aren't economical in those applications.

Yes, the LEDs could be optional. Usually, the areas that lack water/irrigation have plenty of sunlight, which should allow for solar powering the operations, including the optional LEDs.

For example, I read somewhere that Saudi Arabia grows alfalfa in Arizona(?) and has it shipped. There was some outcry since this crop is a water hog. Can they do Hydroponics and grow it in their desert climate? Same thing for North African countries, what with Sahara expanding due to climate change, etc.

50 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Tobbaco has not been subsidized for a decade or so.

When Medicare and Medicaid stop using taxpayer money to treat smoking related ailments we can continue this discussion. Until then, tobacco is being subsidized. 

Bernard

As expensive as water and land and labor are, man made sunlight is far more expensive. Five or so years ago, indoor "urban farming" was all abuzz. To my knowledge, most startups have failed. Itxs simply cheaper to raise lettuce hundreds of miles away.

I've got a small patch of grass that's been devistated by gophers "(I quit watering because I lost control).  I plan to dig down about 6", lay down some chicken wire, return the dirt, and put down new sod. 

If I spray roundup on the existing dying grass, how long before I can go back with new sod?

1 hour ago, Parliament said:
4 hours ago, AeroHorn said:

Read more  

As expensive as water and land and labor are, man made sunlight is far more expensive. Five or so years ago, indoor "urban farming" was all abuzz. To my knowledge, most startups have failed. Itxs simply cheaper to raise lettuce hundreds of miles away.

One of the best LED companies on the globe is from right here in Austin.

https://fluence.science/

4 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Why does breeding Aberdeen Angus bulls with Hereford heifers produce smaller Baldie calves when a full-grown female Hereford is virtually identical in size (weight) to a female Angus? I always assumed it had more to do with different pelvis size. 

Baldy, not Baldie. Man, I feel stupid now. 

I've got a twenty some odd acre pasture with native grass and some remnant coastal in Young County. The surrounding pastures are oak and mesquite with two small tanks.  What's the best way to convert that pasture in to native sunflowers?

I don’t have a question, but would like to say that our family farm in Missourah is gonna lose $$$$ this year because the soybeans are under water after all the heavy rains up there. The farm has been in the family since the 1880s and makes money about 2/3 of the time. It is currently owned by my brother because he drew the short stick when we divided up the family properties in the Show Me state. I dodged a bullet on that one. Lol

My oldest son is a senior VP at a major land bank system. He oversees about $20 billion in assets and can loan you sodbusters up to $50 million for your aggy projects. His most important job however is organizing the golf tournaments held during the banker conventions.

I don’t have a question, but would like to say that our family farm in Missourah is gonna lose $$$$ this year because the soybeans are under water after all the heavy rains up there. The farm has been in the family since the 1880s and makes money about 2/3 of the time. It is currently owned by my brother because he drew the short stick when we divided up the family properties in the Show Me state. I dodged a bullet on that one. Lol
My oldest son is a senior VP at a major land bank system. He oversees about $20 billion in assets and can loan you sodbusters up to $50 million for your aggy projects. His most important job however is organizing the golf tournaments held during the banker conventions.

Ag is in its 3rd year of a downturn. [CR]And soybean tariffs are not helping.[/CR]

On 10/8/2018 at 5:53 PM, Sbbruin said:

What wattage grow light do I need for the kush?

b444dgj9jhc11.jpg

If your space is the size of mayor Quimby’s, a single 250 watt high pressure sodium would be sufficient. Much bigger and you’d be better off with 400w. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Our soybean harvest is getting severely delayed because of the wet weather as well.  It's quit raining for what looks like awhile, but it's unusually cloudy and cool which will slow their return to an appropriate storage moisture. 

Have they gotten anything harvested, and if so are they happy with yields?