Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

• 1 month later...

I pretty much only used the minced garlic in a jar,  now. I use garlic almost every night I cook and I really don't think it tastes worse than fresh in a cook and I don't have to deal with paper skins everywhere and sticky garlic fingers. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 1:08 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Franklin knows his shit but his potato salad might be the worst I’ve ever had. 

One of the best potato salad I've ever had is at, of all places, Louis Lunch in New Haven, CT.  There's something about that packed Styrofoam cup that just does it. 

3 hours ago, pops said:

I pretty much only used the minced garlic in a jar,  now. I use garlic almost every night I cook and I really don't think it tastes worse than fresh in a cook and I don't have to deal with paper skins everywhere and sticky garlic fingers. 

I really want to neg this.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 1:14 PM, Somnio said:

I'm currently eating a Strait Plate at Maudie's.  Maybe it's the Bloody Marys talking, but you can't get enchiladas any better than this.

45 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

FIFY

Maudies holds up and dare I say it's gotten better as of late. I get that hating on it is hip but there's really nothing wrong with it and it's pretty affordable.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’m not a particular health nut when it comes to food. But really look down on people who dip their pizza in ranch dressing. Even if it tasted good (I am sure it doesn’t).... have some gotdamn dignity. 

The only thing that makes a drunken 2am frozen pizza taste better is a side of ranch. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Maudies holds up and dare I say it's gotten better as of late. I get that hating on it is hip but there's really nothing wrong with it and it's pretty affordable.

Probably because the Triangle location closed. That place sucked so much it probably caused all the locations to suck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Just go get some bbq there. Eat Mexican In Houston (I think that’s where you are).

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It looks like there's four Lupe Tortilla locations in Greater Austin. That's a good start. I think y'all like Maudie's because you don't know any better. 

Lol.

600,000 or so Hispanics in the Austin area, most of whom are of Mexican descent with roots in the region for 200 years or so, but they just can't seem to make good Mexican food here unlike in Houston.   It's one of the universe's great mysteries.

Yeah right.

Edited by Somnio
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Lol.

600,000 or so Hispanics in the Austin area, most of whom are of Mexican descent with roots in the region for 200 years or so, but they just can't seem to make good Mexican food here unlike in Houston.   It's one of the universe's great mysteries.

Yeah right.

Sounds right to me. 

In all seriousness, you’re defending Maudies. There are dozens of better places in Austin. You could go to a random food truck in East Austin and get a much better meal. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

If you’re a shitty peeler, that’s true.

If you ain’t, it ain’t.

Kinda like thinking sex is overrated because you can only get with hideous women.

Nope.  Can peel with the best of them.

It’s more like thinking just one stab with just the tip is good sex, so you pay for dinner and drinks and listen to her blab all night, just to get her home for one stab with just the tip.  Woulda been better off staying home and rubbing one out.

I like all seafood.  I like all Cajun flavor.  I don’t mind peeling any other shellfish as the payoff is well worth it.  It’s just not there for crawfish

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Sounds right to me. 

In all seriousness, you’re defending Maudies. There are dozens of better places in Austin. You could go to a random food truck in East Austin and get a much better meal. 

In all seriousness I don't actually think Maudie's is the best Tex-Mex, though I do thoroughly enjoy eating a Strait Plate a few times a year.

Within a mile stretch or so on S. Lamar you can eat at El Meson, Sazon, or Papalote all of which I'm sure are considered superior, and I have had good food at all, but that does not mean Maudie's is not good.

But as they say, different strokes for different folks.

Edited by Somnio

In all seriousness I don't actually think Maudie's is the best Tex-Mex, though I do thoroughly enjoy eating a Strait Plate a few times a year.
Within a mile stretch or so on S. Lamar you can eat at El Meson, Sazon, or Papalote all of which I'm sure are considered superior, and I have had good food at all, but that does not mean Maudie's is not good.
But as they say, different strokes for different folks.

You’re comparing apples to oranges. Mexican and Tex mex are not the same.

Lol.
Yeah right.

It’s amazing. I have had Maudie’s. It is the most mediocre Mexican there is. Not bad, not good. OG Enchiladas Y Más shits all over Maudie’s.

I can think of 5 places in Houston as good as Maudie’s that I don’t go to because there are 5 others better. I love you brisket, but Mexican in Austin has always been weak.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I think Matt’s El Rancho is OG Austin Mexican Restaurant. Sure it’s touristy, but the food is pretty good. 

We usually went to the old Plucker’s on Rio Grande or Abel’s after home games. But if a friend’s parents were in town and wanted to go to Matt’s, my God, that was a broke college boy’s dream. 

Honorable mention to Juan in a Million for breakfast, and breakfast only. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You’re comparing apples to oranges. Mexican and Tex mex are not the same.

I’m not sure if there’s a good solution here.  Mexican food means a lot of different things to many different people. I would break out the categories like Italian food. Border/Tex Mex and Mexico City/Interior. 

That said, “cantina” is a dead giveaway for Tex Mex 

Enlighten me Austinites. It's been a minute since I've lived there (username doesn't check out), what's the best mexican restaurant in town? 

Lol...there is no good Mexican food in Austin. At least drive down to San Marcos if you want decent Mexican food. Drive to San Antonio if you want good Mexican food.

Brisket, I am currently unemployed, but I invite you to come eat some barbacoa and carnitas tacos at Gerardo’s or Laredo Taqueria. I’ll pick up the tab, then you can tell me I am wrong.

I’d love to.

Of course if we’re talking that sort of stuff (not cheese enchiladas), Austin has actually had a really strong move in the last couple of years. Hell, on north Lamar for the few miles from 183 to Braker or so, there are dozens of restaurants and trucks/trailers with some seriously good shit - all the tacos you might want.

Austin Tex-mex remains just ok. That said, there’s a fair amount of decent #3 cheese enchilada plates. El Nuevo Mexico on Anderson is a really good option that’s not well known yet, for example.
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hate said:

Lol...there is no good Mexican food in Austin. At least drive down to San Marcos if you want decent Mexican food. Drive to San Antonio if you want good Mexican food.

I think Flores in Lakeway is decent. My family loves the place. All of them came up on good Houston Tex Mex. We are at the original Los Cucos on Clay Road a couple times a week. 

Flores would be a middling, neighborhood Tex Mex place in Houston. It would kill in Tomball/ Montgomery. 

Matt’s has an awesome atmosphere. I think it compares favorably to the original Ninfa’s in ambience. 

Los Cucos is ok in The Woodlands and Spring area. I’ve lived in the Houston area for 14 years now and it is much better than Austin. I lived in Austin for 7 years and never found a place I liked. I’m originally from SA and there are probably 20 places from my youth that are better than anything in either city and I haven’t lived in SA for 26 years. That will hopefully change in the next few years.

41 minutes ago, Hate said:

Los Cucos is ok in The Woodlands and Spring area. I’ve lived in the Houston area for 14 years now and it is much better than Austin. I lived in Austin for 7 years and never found a place I liked. I’m originally from SA and there are probably 20 places from my youth that are better than anything in either city and I haven’t lived in SA for 26 years. That will hopefully change in the next few years.

I’d say Matt’s is my favorite place in Austin.

I’m not going to you started on San Antonio, but I like Mi Tierra. I’m a lazy a gringo with very little business in San Antonio. I want to get off the interstate and eat, and get right back on. 

Mi Cocina Highland Park Village is my favorite place in Dallas. 

Houston is tough. I can’t even decide on my favorite taco truck. El Tiempo on Washington was my favorite place, but I think Goode and Co. Cantina has overtaken them.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Mi Cocina Highland Park Village is my favorite place in Dallas.

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

Jesus H. You're definitely posting in the right thread.

45 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

anything in highland park village getting a shoutout as good food is hilarious 

So, what's the best Tex Mex in Dallas then?  I don't think Mi Cocina in Highland Park Village is the best Tex Mex food by any stretch, but top to bottom experience, it's tough to beat.  I've lived here for 20 years and I've still yet to find Tex Mex food anywhere else that's so superior that it makes going there worth it.  So, yeah...I think @billfromlaketravis is probably right.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

So, what's the best Tex Mex in Dallas then?  I don't think Mi Cocina in Highland Park Village is the best Tex Mex food by any stretch, but top to bottom experience, it's tough to beat.  I've lived here for 20 years and I've still yet to find Tex Mex food anywhere else that's so superior that it makes going there worth it.  So, yeah...I think @billfromlaketravis is probably right.

For starters there's a Matt's in Dallas. That's better than Mi Cocina in my book.