Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

8 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

I have a hard time watching the little mudbugs run around and then seeing them boil for me to eat. Not worth it. Them love 'em life just like I do.

When I was like 12, we had a calf that had its eyes eaten out by fire ants when it was born on an ant mound. We bottle raised that calf and named him George.

One day my grandma was serving us some kick ass cast iron skillet burgers and as she dropped off seconds she said "How are those George burgers?"

That was the closest I ever came to becoming a vegetarian.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

I don’t order shit, my Cajun neighbor boils them every year and I assist.  His are the spiciest and best I’ve had.  Afterwards we eat them for about an hour straight, then I take a trash bags worth home for lunch the next few days.  

It slices the fuck out of my thumbs after a couple days, and eating them alone isn’t the same...so yeah I’m going to politely decline leftovers next time because the grooves in my thumbs hold the seasoning and your mom complains it burns her vag when I’m fisting her.  

Agreed on the leftovers.  Hassle not worth it. 

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

When I was like 12, we had a calf that had its eyes eaten out by fire ants when it was born on an ant mound. We bottle raised that calf and named him George.

One day my grandma was serving us some kick ass cast iron skillet burgers and as she dropped off seconds she said "How are those George burgers?"

That was the closest I ever came to becoming a vegetarian.

That's fucked up.

She should have cut it into steaks and chops.

Guy Fieri’s schtick is oddly less annoying the more you watch. DDD has fantastic content and is great for what it is. He’s not trying to educate the world on different cultures like Bourdain or Zimmern, he’s just carved out a killer living showing people what a great chicken sandwich looks like in Portland or whatever, and it makes for enjoyable, interesting  TV. 

Edited by Bender Bending Rodriguez
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Too many cooks in the kitchen in Parts Unknown. Still beautifully shot, but overproduced and many shows went too many directions. They also fell into the editors rut of doing the same formulaic montages with local bands over quick cut video for about 12% of every episode. No Reservations felt like a small crew constantly innovating what they were doing. 

1 minute ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Too many cooks in the kitchen in Parts Unknown. Still beautifully shot, but overproduced and many shows went too many directions. They also fell into the editors rut of doing the same formulaic montages with local bands over quick cut video for about 12% of every episode. No Reservations felt like a small crew constantly innovating what they were doing. 

exactly. NR felt more authentic, raw. 

Guy Fieri has always struck me as a goober, but DDD doesn't seem to be about him so much as it is showing you out of the way places across the country, which is pretty cool.

We've hit a few places we've seen featured on it and never been disappointed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

he's a complete douche but i've probably been to close to 100 of the places he's had on his show and fewer than 10% were dissapointing.  

He should give his crew/location scouts more credit. There's no way in hell Guy Fieri knows about spots in Delta, Wisconsin and Gaffney, South Carolina. 

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

Can't have this conversation without throwing out some love for Insomniac with Dave Attell. 

That was fun show.  

Count me as a fan of DDD, Guy I can take or leave and not a fan of his Grocery Games.   Flay's Throwdown was also another show I liked, I like Flay himself and want to go to a taping of Beat Bobby Flay.  

Edited by Underdog

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He should give his crew/location scouts more credit. There's no way in hell Guy Fieri knows about spots in Delta, Wisconsin and Gaffney, South Carolina. 

Exactly.

He's the Food Network version of Poochie.

poochie.jpg

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2021 at 11:31 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Diners, Drive Ins and Dives is great mindless entertainment. 

I love it as late night binge watching when nothing else is on.  Most of the food looks awesome, and I love the stories behind local family-owned restaurants.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

we have also been to a number of DDD spots and never been disappointed. 

my favorite was a food truck on the north shore of Oahu a few years ago. i mean, we never even would have known to look for it, and it was one of the best meals we had, not to mention the setting was spectacular. 

we also visited a DDD-featured fried chicken joint in a, uh, rather, uh, 'sketchy' part of Memphis, in a strip center literally between a liquor store and pawn shop. and it was outstanding. 

The backlash to the backlash against Guy Fieri has grown so prominent that we've swung back around to having a positive opinion about him is pretty much the majority stance. 

Admittedly he seems like a good dude but lets not forget he's a guy in his 50s who says shit like "this is gansta!", "off the hook", and "lets go to flavor town!" and dresses like this: 

image.jpeg.aca9d4ab82e864ae004f12a38056f953.jpeg

I'll be happy when it swings back around again and I can call him a tool without my friends and family correcting me about how much he does for small businesses and all his charity work. 

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

The backlash to the backlash against Guy Fieri has grown so prominent that we've swung back around to having a positive opinion about him is pretty much the majority stance. 

Admittedly he seems like a good dude but lets not forget he's a guy in his 50s who says shit like "this is gansta!", "off the hook", and "lets go to flavor town!" and dresses like this: 

image.jpeg.aca9d4ab82e864ae004f12a38056f953.jpeg

I'll be happy when it swings back around again and I can call him a tool without my friends and family correcting me about how much he does for small businesses and all his charity work. 

Yeah, I don't think anyone thinks he isn't a complete and total weiner.  Just that he's not an asshole and has created something that benefits a lot of people.

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Exactly. I mean herbstreits job would be awesome. Dunno what else would be out there

If I'm going to take a sportscaster's job, I'll go with Chris Fowler. You go to every big college football game and then in the offseason you travel to Sydney, London, and Paris to cover tennis majors.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I think covering major sporting events would kind of suck, for one simple reason:

You don't get to participate in the way that fans do.  If you could do Herbstreit's job and spend 3 hours before the game tailgating, getting shitfaced with the locals, and stuffing your face full of whatever pre-game delicacies abound, then yes, it would be amazing.

As it is, your job is to literally work in the middle of a giant party.  I would rather be part of the party than a neutral observer, I guess.

32 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

If I'm going to take a sportscaster's job, I'll go with Chris Fowler. You go to every big college football game and then in the offseason you travel to Sydney, London, and Paris to cover tennis majors.

yeah but then you have to watch tennis

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think covering major sporting events would kind of suck, for one simple reason:
You don't get to participate in the way that fans do.  If you could do Herbstreit's job and spend 3 hours before the game tailgating, getting shitfaced with the locals, and stuffing your face full of whatever pre-game delicacies abound, then yes, it would be amazing.
As it is, your job is to literally work in the middle of a giant party.  I would rather be part of the party than a neutral observer, I guess.

Yea dunno. I’m sure his salary is close to 7 figures and he gets to see the big games, go to all of the college towns and talk sports all week

I’d probably sacrifice the party for that

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Yea dunno. I’m sure his salary is close to 7 figures and he gets to see the big games, go to all of the college towns and talk sports all week

It would definitely be a sweet gig, but IMO that best part of college sports is being able to fully participate as a fan.

At some point in my life, assuming I ever retire, have the money to do this, and college football is still a thing, I want to do take 2 Falls and do the following:

Year one:  go to every Iowa State game that year.  If the current Big 12 is still a going concern, I would do this an odd year to hit OU and Tech - only current Big 12 stadiums I haven't been to.

Year two:  go to a different stadium every weekend of the season.  Would mix in stadiums I've always wanted to attend and big games of that given year.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

“Close to 7 figures”? What is this, the 1980’s? I’m guessing Fowler and Herbstreit both make mid to high 7 figs. 

"Sriracha is a type of hot sauce or chili sauce made from a paste of chili peppers, distilled vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt."

Ditch the distilled vinegar, sugar, and salt, and you're on to something. As it is, though, it sucks. Just give me the actual peppers. Most "hot sauce" sucks; Sriracha sucks even harder. Just give me the damned peppers.