Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Ditch the distilled vinegar, sugar, and salt, and you're on to something. As it is, though, it sucks. Just give me the actual peppers. Most "hot sauce" sucks; Sriracha sucks even harder. Just give me the damned peppers.

I reserve Sriracha for dishes where I want the flavor changed by the sauce, and that is almost exclusively Asian food.  All other foods get regular hot sauce (Cholula in my house), that is mostly a heat enhancer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

I reserve Sriracha for dishes where I want the flavor changed by the sauce, and that is almost exclusively Asian food.  All other foods get regular hot sauce (Cholula in my house), that is mostly a heat enhancer.

+1. Sriracha takes a banh mi or dish of noodles to 11. I’ll also say that sriracha on a breakfast sandwich with runny egg and bacon kills. Other than that, regular hot sauce or fresh chili peppers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/19/2021 at 4:27 PM, mchookem said:

we have also been to a number of DDD spots and never been disappointed. 

my favorite was a food truck on the north shore of Oahu a few years ago. i mean, we never even would have known to look for it, and it was one of the best meals we had, not to mention the setting was spectacular. 

we also visited a DDD-featured fried chicken joint in a, uh, rather, uh, 'sketchy' part of Memphis, in a strip center literally between a liquor store and pawn shop. and it was outstanding. 

That is uncle lou’s. I absolutely loved it and thought it was awesome. My wife had the runs for like a week and still curses uncle Lou to this day. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

10 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I don't know if this is unpopular, but Lebanese food (nice lamb kebob, rice, grilled vegetables, lebanese salad, baba ganoush) is such a glorious, delicious yet simple food.  Just perfect.  I would put it in my top 5 probably.  People who don't like it are probably really shitty.

They got some really good baked goods too. One of my Grad School classmates would make everyone Lebanese Easter cookies and they were amazing too. (Can’t remember the actual name of them)

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I don't know if this is unpopular, but Lebanese food (nice lamb kebob, rice, grilled vegetables, lebanese salad, baba ganoush) is such a glorious, delicious yet simple food.  Just perfect.  I would put it in my top 5 probably.  People who don't like it are probably really shitty.

Lebanese food is absolutely outstanding. I think that baba ganoush is close to a perfect food.

The absolute best stealth cuisine that is not widely known in the U.S. is Georgian (former Soviet, obviously).  The wine is unreal, and the food is heavy on fruits, nuts, rich dairy, grilled meats, and fresh herbs. Everything from baked goods to desert is awesome, not a week link.  

Khachapuri on its own is one of the world’s outstanding foods.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khachapuri

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

After reading the “quirks” food thread, it appears that this thread lacks courage. Some of the grossest shit I could imagine is being served up over there. 

One of the key ingredients in a lot of the more disturbing recipes is green beans. I find these to be the most disgusting food item in the world. It’s to the point that when a server asks “are any of you allergic to anything?”, I’ll answer with green beans. They ruin the taste of anything they’re in and the casserole monstrosity served during the holidays should be outlawed at a federal level. 

Anyways, apparently many people feel otherwise and this is somehow an unpopular food opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

heck yeah. find yourself a nice Lebanese girl and have her bring you home to meet the family and hope that mom or grandma makes some kibbeh nayeh as part of the spread.  

maybe you can get that at Lebanese stores or restaurants in bigger cities, dunno; never seen it in Austin outside of peoples homes.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

After reading the “quirks” food thread, it appears that this thread lacks courage. Some of the grossest shit I could imagine is being served up over there. 

One of the key ingredients in a lot of the more disturbing recipes is green beans. I find these to be the most disgusting food item in the world. It’s to the point that when a server asks “are any of you allergic to anything?”, I’ll answer with green beans. They ruin the taste of anything they’re in and the casserole monstrosity served during the holidays should be outlawed at a federal level. 

Anyways, apparently many people feel otherwise and this is somehow an unpopular food opinion. 

Green beans are fine, but they’re prosaic. Ina Garten couldn’t find a way to make green beans interesting.

Edited by South Austin

You spelled peas wrong.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This. All of this. Could not agree more.

They made me gag as a child, and it doesn't matter now if they're canned, fresh, masked in a casserole, or drowned in olive oil and garlic, they can fuck all the way off.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

heck yeah. find yourself a nice Lebanese girl and have her bring you home to meet the family and hope that mom or grandma makes some kibbeh nayeh as part of the spread.  

maybe you can get that at Lebanese stores or restaurants in bigger cities, dunno; never seen it in Austin outside of peoples homes.  

You talking about raw lamb right. Yeah, never seen that in the wild, only with stuff that was ground in home. Served on a big slice of onion. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Drool 1

49 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You talking about raw lamb right. Yeah, never seen that in the wild, only with stuff that was ground in home. Served on a big slice of onion. 

That stuff is amazing. 

Maybe unpopular: beef tartare is a perfect food.  Central European style— raw beef, raw egg yolk, salt, pepper, onions, maybe some paprika and mustard— is a food orgasm on garlic bread.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

22 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Recs in Houston? My Lebanese friends say Mary’s is the best. 

On 5/22/2021 at 7:57 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

Lebanese food is absolutely outstanding. I think that baba ganoush is close to a perfect food.

The absolute best stealth cuisine that is not widely known in the U.S. is Georgian (former Soviet, obviously).  The wine is unreal, and the food is heavy on fruits, nuts, rich dairy, grilled meats, and fresh herbs. Everything from baked goods to desert is awesome, not a week link.  

Khachapuri on its own is one of the world’s outstanding foods.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khachapuri

spacer.png

On 5/30/2021 at 1:12 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Laredo Taco in 7-11s is superior to Torchy’s. Especially their barbacoa.

dumb and dumber GIFDidn’t realize this would be unpopular. Laredo Taco kicks all kinds of ass and is indeed better than almost any chain taco place out there and many independent places.

I’d put Laredo Taco on any list of “things your have to have had to call yourself Texan.”

200.gifDidn’t realize this would be unpopular. Laredo Taco kicks all kinds of ass and is indeed better than almost any chain taco place out there and many independent places.
I’d put Laredo Taco on any list of “things your have to have had to call yourself Texan.”

Well, there is a long ass Torchy’s thread on this site and no Laredo Taco Co. thread

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well, there is a long ass Torchy’s thread on this site and no Laredo Taco Co. thread emoji2371.png

I wasn’t aware of the glorious food of Laredo Taco Company until a few years ago when I asked a coworker who is originally from The Valley where she went in Houston for breakfast tacos. She said she got Q tacos from Laredo Taco Company, I tried and became a fan. Side note when 7-11 bought out Sunoco the Laredo Taco Company was one of the sneaky good parts of that deal IMO 

19 minutes ago, QuesoEspecial said:

I wasn’t aware of the glorious food of Laredo Taco Company until a few years ago when I asked a coworker who is originally from The Valley where she went in Houston for breakfast tacos. She said she got Q tacos from Laredo Taco Company, I tried and became a fan. Side note when 7-11 bought out Sunoco the Laredo Taco Company was one of the sneaky good parts of that deal IMO 

Valley people know from gas station breakfast tacos. That’s been a thing for a long, long time before Laredo Taco Company became a thing. There used to be a place off of the 77 and 83 interchange in Harlingen (now under the Laredo Taco Company name) that was even better before it got branded.

1 hour ago, QuesoEspecial said:

It would appear they recently opened one of these at Park/Abrams in Dallas. I will give it a shot soon.

Laredo taco company is the place inside Stripes gas stations, correct? I know 7/11 bought Stripes a few years back, but it’s still my favorite gas station in the state. The tacos I’ve had have been good and they have the best fried burritos of any gas station in the state, yes better than Allsups. Plus last couple ones I went I had the fresh ground coffee brewed on demand machines which takes the guess work out of figuring out which pot is fresh or not. 

9 minutes ago, Covri said:

Laredo taco company is the place inside Stripes gas stations, correct? I know 7/11 bought Stripes a few years back, but it’s still my favorite gas station in the state. The tacos I’ve had have been good and they have the best fried burritos of any gas station in the state, yes better than Allsups. Plus last couple ones I went I had the fresh ground coffee brewed on demand machines which takes the guess work out of figuring out which pot is fresh or not. 

Yes.

https://dallasinnovates.com/7-eleven-opens-its-first-corporate-owned-drive-thru-with-a-laredo-taco-company-at-an-evolution-store-in-dallas/

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve mainly been to the one in Waco just off the round about you take to get to hwy 77 but have also been to a couple down on the way to corpus on hwy 181 I believe. Good stuff.

On 5/22/2021 at 6:16 AM, closetojumping said:

I dont know if it's popular or unpopular, but deep fried green beans on a bed of whipped ricotta, olive oil and lemon juice and you will like green beans. 

12 minutes ago, pops said:

I dont know if it's popular or unpopular, but deep fried green beans on a bed of whipped ricotta, olive oil and lemon juice and you will like green beans. 

Sure. Do the same thing to strips of shoe leather, and it'd taste alright. Any veggie that requires you to go to that great of lengths, though, is suspect.

• Hook 'Em 1