Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

If that’s right, I don’t wanna be right.

He's a fucking Baylor fan talking up a Ft. Worth restaurant. Also the dude with Houston in his username agrees - news at 6.

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Jif Creamy Peanut Butter is the best Peanut Butter ever. I know there are tons of craft and artistan and organic and all-natural's, but the OG Jif cannot be beat.

God you're 50/50. Just when I think you have a string of good posts you advocate for Jif creamy. Extra crunchy or fuck your mother.

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1

This is close to the ideal of a base for naoch. The Vermillion in Brownsville. Lots of melted cheese, parts of it toasty. Jalapeños. Sturdy homemade chips. Adding pico de gallo or fajita meat to this would be a good idea, it can handle it.

Lettuce on naoch is bad. Adds no flavor at all and just helps to turn the plate into a watery, soggy mess.

image.jpeg.4e631d8d85a9e2084ae4cee424919738.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

This is close to the ideal of a base for naoch. The Vermillion in Brownsville. Lots of melted cheese, parts of it toasty. Jalapeños. Sturdy homemade chips. Adding pico de gallo or fajita meat to this would be a good idea, it can handle it.
Lettuce on naoch is bad. Adds no flavor at all and just helps to turn the plate into a watery, soggy mess.

image.jpeg.4e631d8d85a9e2084ae4cee424919738.jpeg
I would smash that.

I always liked how Freddie's place did it. All the ingredients plated, chips separate. Make it how you want.
Even better, would be the above with a plated side of toppings.

Guess I'm making Noach this weekend.

On 9/8/2021 at 12:50 AM, ztejas said:

He's a fucking Baylor fan talking up a Ft. Worth restaurant. Also the dude with Houston in his username agrees - news at 6.

God you're 50/50. Just when I think you have a string of good posts you advocate for Jif creamy. Extra crunchy or fuck your mother.

Here is the thing. I like you as a poster. You seem like an even better human being. So I took your advice and picked up some Jif Extra Crunchy during my weekly refill of JIF. 

I'm just not here for it. The crunch is weird. It's too much peanut, not enough butter. (Reminds me of this video "Larry loves butter and Larry loves scotch, but you'd never seen Larry loves Butterscotch"

The Joe T's "nacho" is just a precursor to a LOT more goodness.  It isn't the best Mexican food ever but it's pretty solid and plentiful and when you couple the simplicity with the setting and the margaritas...it's greatness.

Family Style Dinner

Two cheese nachos as appetizers, two cheese enchiladas, rice, beans, two beef tacos, guacamole, and corn tortillas

10 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Here is the thing. I like you as a poster. You seem like an even better human being. So I took your advice and picked up some Jif Extra Crunchy during my weekly refill of JIF. 

I'm just not here for it. The crunch is weird. It's too much peanut, not enough butter. (Reminds me of this video "Larry loves butter and Larry loves scotch, but you'd never seen Larry loves Butterscotch"

just need to stir in some more crisco

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Welp….that fits the thread. Esp as to NOLA.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

You win this thread. Close it up, fellas.

56 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

I love you as a poster. You just broke my heart. 
Heartbreak GIF by moodman

47 minutes ago, tigol said:

We're done here.  

5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

First one poster shits on cheesecake, then another takes a dump on New Orleans cooking.

whoa-deja-vu-matrix-glitch.gif

I have been sitting on that unpopular food opinion for years.  I went to college in NOLA.  I love NOLA.  But compared to the other US cities I have lived in (New York, Los Angeles, and Houston), it pales in comparison.  And it is even more glaring as I travel more and more internationally.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have been sitting on that unpopular food opinion for years.  I went to college in NOLA.  I love NOLA.  But compared to the other US cities I have lived in (New York, Los Angeles, and Houston), it pales in comparison.  And it is even more glaring as I travel more and more internationally.

Fair, but also unfair.  Those cities have a more DIVERSE food scene -- they are all super-international (you literally just named the three most internationally diverse cities in the country).  So, yeah, you can get kick-ass Senegalese food in those places that you can't get in NOLA.  But NOLA's food scene really doesn't need diversity. Nobody bitched about Earl Campbell because he couldn't streak down the sideline and beat DBs for a 50 yard pass.  Nobody bitched about Earl not having Barry Sanders moves.  We loved Earl because what he did....he did better than anyone else.  He fucking trucked your ass, and bulldozed into the end zone whenever he felt like it.  NOLA is the Earl Campbell of creole/cajun/gulf coast cuisine.  It doesn't have New York's Barry Sanders moves.  It doesn't have Houston's Jerry Rice WR speed and hands.  It doesn't have to.  It has this:

CampbellvsSMUjpg.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Fair, but also unfair.  Those cities have a more DIVERSE food scene -- they are all super-international (you literally just named the three most internationally diverse cities in the country).  So, yeah, you can get kick-ass Senegalese food in those places that you can't get in NOLA.  But NOLA's food scene really doesn't need diversity. Nobody bitched about Earl Campbell because he couldn't streak down the sideline and beat DBs for a 50 yard pass.  Nobody bitched about Earl not having Barry Sanders moves.  We loved Earl because what he did....he did better than anyone else.  He fucking trucked your ass, and bulldozed into the end zone whenever he felt like it.  NOLA is the Earl Campbell of creole/cajun/gulf coast cuisine.  It doesn't have New York's Barry Sanders moves.  It doesn't have Houston's Jerry Rice WR speed and hands.  It doesn't have to.  It has this:

CampbellvsSMUjpg.jpg

Isn't the brief unpopular food opinions?  I will go one better on NOLA.  I would not rank Cajun/Creole/Gulf Coast cuisine in my top 10.  It is ultimately very derivative, as many US cuisines are.  I enjoy it on occasion, but if I am picking a food city to go on vacation in, I am crossing the pond, going to Mexico City, or just cruising the 5 boroughs in a staycation before heading to NOLA.  

Just now, Stunns38 said:

Now explain your Chicago opinion? I think it’s vastly underrated. Most top food critics would agree.

Now, we all know you like high-end things so maybe Chicago’s offerings aren’t upscale enough, Lulz.

I think Chicago pales in comparison to NYC, LA, and Houston, both in breadth of cuisines, but also overall quality from top to bottom.  

I think Chicago pales in comparison to NYC, LA, and Houston, both in breadth of cuisines, but also overall quality from top to bottom.  

Maybe your first point is valid but I’ll have to strongly disagree on the “quality from top to bottom” point. But I’m not as a sophisticated foodie as you.