Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

12 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Maybe we need a dedicated Guy Fieri thread, but I just saw the segment where he is cooking with his son the grilled octopus and pasta meal from La Scarola.  It looked absolutely fucking amazing.  Its been awhile since I had a good octopus dish.

@Prepuce of Doom is a big fan of octopus. I bet he has great octopus dish recommendations. 

18 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Maybe we need a dedicated Guy Fieri thread, but I just saw the segment where he is cooking with his son the grilled octopus and pasta meal from La Scarola.  It looked absolutely fucking amazing.  Its been awhile since I had a good octopus dish.

We have one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m in Puerto Rico and had an octopus salad last night at the St. Regis. Fucking delicious. If you’ve never had the octopus appetizer at Toulouse in Houston, and you’re hungry for octopus, that would hit the spot. They have a way of making it tender that is hard to find elsewhere. 

• Like 1

I’m in Puerto Rico and had an octopus salad last night at the St. Regis. Fucking delicious. If you’ve never had the octopus appetizer at Toulouse in Houston, and you’re hungry for octopus, that would hit the spot. They have a way of making it tender that is hard to find elsewhere. 

I’ll have to check it out. Honestly, the last time I had octopus was in Paraty, Brasil many years ago. I go back all the time because of family, but never have revisited.

I’ll look into St. Regis.

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The best part octopus I’ve eaten was this grilled dish in Istanbul. The most memorable is still wiggling tentacles at the Seoul fish market. Tacos de pulpa are the shit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 11:55 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

The best part octopus I’ve eaten was this grilled dish in Istanbul. The most memorable is still wiggling tentacles at the Seoul fish market. Tacos de pulpa are the shit.

Hugo’s in Houston has an awesome pulpo al carbon taco appetizer. It’s one of those things I’ll at least get an order for the table of every time I’m there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Longhorn Steakhouse is pretty good for a strip mall steakhouse. The key is to keep it simple and cheap. Renegade Sirloin medium rare, side of broccoli is between $11.99 and $13.99. Hard to beat for the price. 

I am here for this. And to go farther— now that Prime beef can be got at HEB or Costco or Sams, upscale steakhouses are the worst value proposition in eating out. I can’t do a steak as well as a great steakhouse at home, but with compound butter, a good bottle of Malbec or Syrah, and a great cast iron skillet I can come close enough that it hurts to pay their prices. 

Once I start venturing into the 30 dollar and up range for a main, I usually want to get something that’s really beyond my limited home cooking talents.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I am here for this. And to go farther— now that Prime beef can be got at HEB or Costco or Sams, upscale steakhouses are the worst value proposition in eating out. I can’t do a steak as well as a great steakhouse at home, but with compound butter, a good bottle of Malbec or Syrah, and a great cast iron skillet I can come close enough that it hurts to pay their prices. 

Once I start venturing into the 30 dollar and up range for a main, I usually want to get something that’s really beyond my limited home cooking talents.

But then you'll miss out on the opportunity to buy that $120 bottle of wine that you can get at Spec's for $40. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This.  And with the diversity of dining experiences in Austin, upscale steakhouses have become bland and pedestrian, so I can't arguably consider paying for the experience when I eat at one of those places.  I still have nostalgia for a place like Bob's because it reminds me of my single days in Dallas, but I go to a steakhouse maybe once every three years.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This.....I would much rather get a prime filet or NY strip from HEB and cook it myself.

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Longhorn Steakhouse is pretty good for a strip mall steakhouse. The key is to keep it simple and cheap. Renegade Sirloin medium rare, side of broccoli is between $11.99 and $13.99. Hard to beat for the price. 

I ended up at one a few years back somehow and wasn’t expecting much.  The smoked ribeye was pretty damn good and so were the sides, I was pleasantly surprised. 

I get good prime beef and enjoy cooking it myself. I love using my sous vide. But i also enjoy a really good steakhouse that knows what they are doing on occasion. I'm ok paying for the dining experience, and there something to the ultra high heat that they use. It does give it a unique quality. Maybe once or twice a year. 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

This.  And with the diversity of dining experiences in Austin, upscale steakhouses have become bland and pedestrian, so I can't arguably consider paying for the experience when I eat at one of those places.  I still have nostalgia for a place like Bob's because it reminds me of my single days in Dallas, but I go to a steakhouse maybe once every three years.

I’m waiting on Summer NAPE and somebody to buy me dinner before forming an opinion on post Covid high end steakhouses. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I get good prime beef and enjoy cooking it myself. I love using my sous vide. But i also enjoy a really good steakhouse that knows what they are doing on occasion. I'm ok paying for the dining experience, and there something to the ultra high heat that they use. It does give it a unique quality. Maybe once or twice a year. 

I like my Pit Boss pellet smoker. I cook at 200 until 110-115 then crank it all the way up and open up the little slide to allow for direct flame and cook 1-2 min per side.

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

I 'd be willing to bet that a full fired charcoal chimney can get temps equal to the salamanders that steakhouses use.  Even when I go to a steak house, I usually don't get a steak.  The best order at most steak places for me is to get a couple of appetizers, like foie gras, steak tartare, lamb, quail, or duck breasts, along with a caesar salad with tons of extra anchovies, and an icy-cold Beefeater martini up with a twist!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I like my Pit Boss pellet smoker. I cook at 200 until 110-115 then crank it all the way up and open up the little slide to allow for direct flame and cook 1-2 min per side.

6 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I 'd be willing to bet that a full fired charcoal chimney can get temps equal to the salamanders that steakhouses use.  Even when I go to a steak house, I usually don't get a steak.  The best order at most steak places for me is to get a couple of appetizers, like foie gras, steak tartare, lamb, quail, or duck breasts, along with a caesar salad with tons of extra anchovies, and an icy-cold Beefeater martini up with a twist!

We downsized several years ago and choose to live in a luxury apartment. Unfortunately we are not allowed gas or charcoal grills. So sous vide and a cast iron skillet is the best I can do. Or if I don't want to sous vide I do a reverse sear. 

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

We downsized several years ago and choose to live in a luxury apartment. Unfortunately we are not allowed gas or charcoal grills. So sous vide and a cast iron skillet is the best I can do. Or if I don't want to sous vide I do a reverse sear. 

Reverse sear is the poor man's sous vide -- same concept.  When I don't want to go to the trouble of cranking up a charcoal chimney I can do a passable job with a cast iron skillet super-heated at top heat for a good while in the oven -- then turn on the broiler and add the rested reverse sear steak a few minutes later -- it doesn't take long.  I like to use the oven for this because I'm lazy and don't want to clean up all the sear splatter all over the kitchen.

TLDR -- you are saving big bucks from downsizing -- enjoy your steaks at the high-end steakhouses!

• 1 month later...

I don’t like loaded nachos. I have almost never had them done in a way that didn’t destroy the integrity of the chip. And the stuff that goes on them, I like better in a taco or burrito.

The best way to do nachos is with bigass homemade tostadas. Spread them on a tray and get the shredded cheese on each individual chip. Toppings only jalepenos and maybe a bit of pico de gallo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I don’t like loaded nachos. I have almost never had them done in a way that didn’t destroy the integrity of the chip. And the stuff that goes on them, I like better in a taco or burrito.

The best way to do nachos is with bigass homemade tostadas. Spread them on a tray and get the shredded cheese on each individual chip. Toppings only jalepenos and maybe a bit of pico de gallo. 

What are you, anorexic?

• Haha 2

On 6/5/2021 at 6:35 AM, Walden Ponderer said:

Yaupon tea is three times better than any other kind of hot tea, and is ten times better than Yerba Mate. And with seven times the caffeine of coffee, that makes it my preferred method of artificially induced cardiac arrythmia.

The “black drink” of the Comanches; they traveled annually to the Texas coast to the yaupon groves for ceremonies.  Much vomiting and many hallucinations followed.  I have a yaupon right outside my preferred couch, but I’m afraid of it-

10 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This guy gets this thread and stays well within the parameters established by the title. 

Team Pile-More-Shit-on-Those-Nachos

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, squib said:

This guy gets this thread and stays well within the parameters established by the title. 

Team Pile-More-Shit-on-Those-Nachos

Yeah, I know the thread title. But I am not alone in this. I don’t want a soggy, collapsing chip by the time I get halfway through. I don’t wanna eat my shit with a fork or watch it slide off. I want each chip toasted, crispy, and with a predictable amount of topping. I’ll get the beans, meat, guacamole, etc. later in the meal.

https://www.homesicktexan.com/2008/01/nachos-101.html

On 8/3/2021 at 2:01 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

They are not nachos without refried beans.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2