Voter Suppression

Pancho

14 minutes ago, bolverk said:

While what's going on in Georgia is getting all the news, we need to pay more attention to what's going on here at home.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/04/01/texas-voting-restrictions-legislature/

A couple of amendments affirming the right to vote were struck down by Republicans in the Senate found on pp 21-22.

Floor Amendment No. 4
Amend CSSB 7 (senate committee printing) by adding the following appropriately numbered SECTION to ARTICLE 1 of the bill and renumbering subsequent SECTIONS of ARTICLE 1 accordingly:
SECTIONi____.iiChapter 1, Election Code, is amended by adding Section 1.0055 to read as follows:
Sec.i1.0055.ii RIGHT TO VOTE. Every citizen of this state, who is qualified to vote under the Texas Constitution and the provisions of this code, has a fundamental right to vote in any election for which the voter is eligible.
HINOJOSA MENE´NDEZ
ALVARADO MILES
BLANCO POWELL
ECKHARDT WEST
GUTIERREZ WHITMIRE
JOHNSON ZAFFIRINI
LUCIO
The amendment to CSSB 7 was read and failed of adoption by the following vote: Yeas 13, Nays 18.
Yeas:iiAlvarado, Blanco, Eckhardt, Gutierrez, Hinojosa, Johnson, Lucio, Mene´ndez, Miles, Powell, West, Whitmire, Zaffirini.
Nays:iiBettencourt, Birdwell, Buckingham, Campbell, Creighton, Hall, Hancock, Huffman, Hughes, Kolkhorst, Nelson, Nichols, Paxton, Perry, Schwertner,
Seliger, Springer, Taylor.

Senator Hinojosa offered the following amendment to the bill:
Wednesday, March 31, 2021 SENATE JOURNAL 521
Floor Amendment No. 5
Amend CSSB 7 (senate committee printing) by adding the following appropriately numbered SECTION to ARTICLE 3 of the bill and renumbering subsequent SECTIONS of ARTICLE 3 accordingly:
SECTIONi___.iiSubchapter A, Chapter 65, Election Code, is amended by adding Section 65.0001 to read as follows:
Sec.i65.0001. RIGHT TO HAVE VOTE COUNTED. Every eligible voter who casts a ballot in an election has a fundamental right to have the voter s vote counted. ’
HINOJOSA MENE´NDEZ
ALVARADO MILES
BLANCO POWELL
ECKHARDT WEST
GUTIERREZ WHITMIRE
JOHNSON ZAFFIRINI
LUCIO
The amendment to CSSB 7 was read and failed of adoption by the following vote:  Yeas 13, Nays 18.
Yeas:iiAlvarado, Blanco, Eckhardt, Gutierrez, Hinojosa, Johnson, Lucio, Mene´ndez, Miles, Powell, West, Whitmire, Zaffirini.
Nays:iiBettencourt, Birdwell, Buckingham, Campbell, Creighton, Hall, Hancock, Huffman, Hughes, Kolkhorst, Nelson, Nichols, Paxton, Perry, Schwertner, Seliger, Springer, Taylor.

TLDR version: Texas Republican don't everyone should be able to vote?  Got it.

I would honestly like more info on this argument of "they're actually making it EASIER to vote!".  Please, bring the evidence.  The 7am-7pm thing has already been debunked.  Are they just continuing on with that like we didn't already figure out it was bullshit several pages ago?

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I would honestly like more info on this argument of "they're actually making it EASIER to vote!".  Please, bring the evidence.  The 7am-7pm thing has already been debunked.  Are they just continuing on with that like we didn't already figure out it was bullshit several pages ago?

it seems to me the strategy is needle in a haystack.  introduce 100 different changes, 10 of them effective at suppression, 90 of them who knows, so the discussion of it is an unfocused cacophony without centralization of reasons for opposing.  

24 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

it seems to me the strategy is needle in a haystack.  introduce 100 different changes, 10 of them effective at suppression, 90 of them who knows, so the discussion of it is an unfocused cacophony without centralization of reasons for opposing.  

That's exactly what's happening. And it has the added bonus of getting the media to chase the wrong story. The "no serving food or drink in voting lines" is of course evil and ridiculous, but it's the shiny object everyone is focused on because it makes for a good headline. What should be focused on is the ability of the state legislature to overturn rulings by county officials.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lmao said:

Posted in the wrong thread but can you not be a fan of the voter laws in GA while also believing calling them "Jim Crow on steroids" and "Jim Eagle" is hyperbolic?

Yes. 

Who cares. You think the right wing hate machine cares? 

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

I read it. Not surprisingly, it’s designed to limit black voters and take power away from local officials in black counties like Fulton county and hand it to the White supremacists that are in charge of the state.

Any other questions troll? 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I read it. Not surprisingly, it’s designed to limit black voters and take power away from local officials in black counties like Fulton county and hand it to the White supremacists that are in charge of the state.

I have a question. What the fuck does it take to get banned on here? Apparently continually doing nothing but trolling doesn’t do it anymore. There’s no honest discussion, no rebuttal to anyone who engages. Just click bait Twitter headlines anD nothing else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I have a question. What the fuck does it take to get banned on here? Apparently continually doing nothing but trolling doesn’t do it anymore. There’s no honest discussion, no rebuttal to anyone who engages. Just click bait Twitter headlines anD nothing else. 

Well, we could neg bomb him to Bolivia.

To protect voter integrity = we are implementing new (barriers/restrictions/regulations)

Since there is no evidence whatsoever of illegal voting, and trust me, they’ve fucking looked, you can erase the left side of the equation. Once you realize there is no illegal voting and no threat to voter integrity, you are left with this 

To protect voter integrity = we are implementing new (barriers/restrictions/regulations)

What effects will these new restrictions have? Hmmm? It truly is a mystery 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Ah yes. The white supremacists. You’re not a serious person Jimmy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 12

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

How is it designed to limit black voters? There’s more early voting access. Offers no excuse absentee ballots. Makes drop boxes permanent fixtures in voting. 

I can see why people see state level trying to take power over local as problematic, but Jim Crow on steroids and let’s boycott everything is fucking dumb though. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 9

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

I did rebut. I don’t rebut every single poster. If I post something, 10 people reply. I’m not going to respond to each one.

Sharing a WSJ editorial that people here disagree with may be uncomfortable for y’all, but it’s far from trolling. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 5

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

The key is  expand voting access and make the primary consideration be “counties” not people, while restricting voting where bottlenecks occur because of density and high numbers.  More numerous rural/sparsely populated counties get expanded access while a few more populous/urban counties get restricted access per capita.  That way you can claim that “we are making it easier to vote!”  and technically be correct,  although anyone with a brain knows this is obviously false if voting access for all voters is the primary concern.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, lmao said:

Posted in the wrong thread but can you not be a fan of the voter laws in GA while also believing calling them "Jim Crow on steroids" and "Jim Eagle" is hyperbolic?

For such beliefs to be defensible, IMO, it is first necessary to address:

3 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

it’s designed to limit black voters and take power away from local officials in black counties like Fulton county and hand it to the White supremacists that are in charge of the state.

This new line of voter suppression includes hamstringing counties where POC are the majority. I think it is reasonable, and is not hyperbolic, to view this development as Jim Crow II.

17 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

How is it designed to limit black voters? There’s more early voting access. Offers no excuse absentee ballots. Makes drop boxes permanent fixtures in voting. 

I can see why people see state level trying to take power over local as problematic, but Jim Crow on steroids and let’s boycott everything is fucking dumb though. 

Subjecting election results to the control of gerrymandered representatives and state Senators. How do you think this last election would have played out if these new controls had been in place?

State government nullification of the will of the voters? That’s steroidal oppression. 

Edited by Willfully Horn
Tense
  • Hook 'Em 5

Voting machines can generate a paper transcript of one’s vote. I used such technology in Hays County, and could see for myself that my vote was correctly recorded. That paper ‘trail’ went into a lockbox backup.

This is how voting machine technology gains public confidence.

This is where we can find bipartisan agreement.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Exactly; plus, if they can overturn as was stated above, then further disenfranchisement becomes a feature not a bug. 

On 4/4/2021 at 7:42 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Alright, I'll start.  Neg bombing every chance I get.

Fuck you, GRHorn.  You do not argue in good faith.  You're nothing but a troll and you need to leave.  If immamac won't do it, we'll try.

you are getting warmer

On 4/3/2021 at 4:45 PM, GRHorn said:

Why should I bother with answering your dumb troll questions? The law is obviously specifically designed to hinder minority votes and is founded on the big lie that trump actually won the election. Anyone who’s thinks otherwise is a moron a liar or both. There is simply no point in engaging with someone like you pretend to be. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Why should I bother with answering your dumb troll questions? The law is obviously specifically designed to hinder minority votes and is founded on the big lie that trump actually won the election. Anyone who’s thinks otherwise is a moron a liar or both. There is simply no point in engaging with someone like you pretend to be. 

I’m not going to convince many (any?) people here that it’s being overblown. The point is reasonable minds can disagree with the CR groupthink on this issue without being “white supremacists”. Here’s a thread from a national correspondent for Slate. 

And yes, moving the MLB all star game to the local citizen’s detriment was silly political grandstanding. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 8

11 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I’m not going to convince many (any?) people here that it’s being overblown. The point is reasonable minds can disagree with the CR groupthink on this issue without being “white supremacists”. Here’s a thread from a national correspondent for Slate. 

And yes, moving the MLB all star game to the local citizen’s detriment was silly political grandstanding. 

What do you see as the predicate for Georgia Republicans used to make sweeping changes to election laws they codified?

You can’t reason with them. They’re halfwits. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 12:03 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:
Is it just me, or doesn't it seem like this is going to backfire on Republicans?  The harder they try to make it to vote the harder people are going to try to vote. 

There is a good possibility that if they fuck around, they could actually make it harder on the olds who vote R, whereas the younger folks who vote D can adapt quickly and overcome/get the word out through social media/etc.

I love all these claims by lying Republican assholes that they are expanding voting in Georgia. Sure it does. For voters located in white areas of the state. It severely restricts voting in black areas. But since there are less areas where blacks constitute the majority, then we’re expanding voting overall! 

• Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

No.

Any other questions? 

Yes. 

Why not, given the circumstances and his statements around those circumstances? 

Essentially, make Rob M. confirm that he doesn't personally care about voter supression and is only operating out of pandering sentiment towards the issues of the day and don't allow him to weasel out of it personally, while making operational/professional decisions and stances that contradict and point to hypocrisy, personally.

It feels like in 2021, there is no corporate veil. We pierce these days, so that is what is informing my question.

Edited to add; his respect points would go through the roof and I'd think the world of him if he said "No, I'm not going to do anything personally and it's none of your business, quite frankly. I'm charged to lead this organization and do right by it and that's what I'm doing."

Edited by DonkeyCigars

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, the answer is yes.  But not in the way the people who read the National Review think.

I was going to say; liberals were yelling this to high heaven when all the rubes and poor uneducated people blew everyone's minds and actually elected Trump.

• Fuck You 1

On 4/3/2021 at 5:48 PM, GRHorn said:

I did rebut. I don’t rebut every single poster. If I post something, 10 people reply. I’m not going to respond to each one.

Sharing a WSJ editorial that people here disagree with may be uncomfortable for y’all, but it’s far from trolling. 

It is a fucking editorial, i.e. an opinion piece.  It isn't news, it isn't fact.  Shut the fuck up.

• Hook 'Em 4