Blastfurnace 2019 Thread: The Saga Continues

Trey3216

Long soccer weekend this last week.  Games Friday.  Saturday AM games.  Drive down to Austin for the Texas game, up early Sunday for two more games that afternoon.  Then finals for both kids for their Labor Day tourneys Monday.

Was so hot and tired I was at Costco and just sat down in the fruit/veggie room and stayed there for a good 20 minutes.  I was whipped....

Not a single day in the 14-day forecast with a high under 95 degrees.  Autumn starts on the 23rd this year, which is how long it's gonna take to get to a day under 95.   That doesn't seem right.  

Buddy from grad school, worked for Ford.  They moved him around a lot but ultimately landed in Detroit for many years.  First winter he sends me a pic...all excited about his new purchase:  his very own snowblower.

Two weeks later another pic with the caption, "fuck this god damn place"....and a pic his wife took of just the top of his head/shoulders and a shower of snow up in the air as he's trying to clear off his yard and driveway.

I'll take the heat....my flip-flops, beat up old Texas baseball hat, and the pool.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Buddy from grad school, worked for Ford.  They moved him around a lot but ultimately landed in Detroit for many years.  First winter he sends me a pic...all excited about his new purchase:  his very own snowblower.

Two weeks later another pic with the caption, "fuck this god damn place"....and a pic his wife took of just the top of his head/shoulders and a shower of snow up in the air as he's trying to clear off his yard and driveway.

I'll take the heat....my flip-flops, beat up old Texas baseball hat, and the pool.  

Yeah, we get it. The heat is preferable to snow. Snow sucks more than heat. That's what we tell ourselves at the end of August/early September.  

Still. Fuck this fucking shit. I'm over it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Long soccer weekend this last week.  Games Friday.  Saturday AM games.  Drive down to Austin for the Texas game, up early Sunday for two more games that afternoon.  Then finals for both kids for their Labor Day tourneys Monday.

Was so hot and tired I was at Costco and just sat down in the fruit/veggie room and stayed there for a good 20 minutes.  I was whipped....

Sounds terrible. Every time parents tell me about their weekend scheduled full of this shit, I am so glad I’m not tied down with those little shits. 

• Like 2

Don't run your AC people!

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/ercot-urging-people-to-reduce-electricity-use-95-96

ERCOT is urging both people to reduce electricity use on September 5 and September 6 due to high heat and record breaking demand. It urges reduction especially during the hours of 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Some areas of Texas are expected to see the highest temperatures so far this summer and temperatures are expected to exceed 100 degrees in all major Texas metropolitan areas through September 7.

ERCOT says it set a new September peak demand record on September 3. It beat a previous September record set in 2016.

Don't run your AC people!
http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/ercot-urging-people-to-reduce-electricity-use-95-96
ERCOT is urging both people to reduce electricity use on September 5 and September 6 due to high heat and record breaking demand. It urges reduction especially during the hours of 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Some areas of Texas are expected to see the highest temperatures so far this summer and temperatures are expected to exceed 100 degrees in all major Texas metropolitan areas through September 7.
ERCOT says it set a new September peak demand record on September 3. It beat a previous September record set in 2016.

I’m turning my AC down to 68 just to piss off the Griddy users
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is miserable. From three days ago:

Austin survives 2nd-hottest August ever; 27 of 31 days at or above 100
August was the second-hottest on record for the Austin area with an average temperature of 89.9 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. Only four days in August had high temperatures below 100 degrees. The demand for electricity in Texas set a record Aug. 12, when peak demand reached 74,531 megawatts between 4 and 5 p.m. that day, a spokeswoman for ERCOT, which operates the power grid for most of the state.

As of Friday, Austin had already recorded 42 days with a temperature of 100 degrees or higher this year, said meteorologist Brett Williams. If Austin records more temperatures in the triple digits this week, then 2019 will exceed 2017 — the city’s warmest year ever — in the number of 100-degree days.

“From my perspective, September is still going to be a pretty warm month,” Rose said. “No big cold fronts are coming our way over the next two to three weeks.”

Relief should come eventually in the fall when the sun starts setting sooner. Temperatures can start to cool down during shorter days because they have less time to heat up, Rose said.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20190903/austin-survives-2nd-hottest-august-ever-27-of-31-days-at-or-above-100

Yeah, on 9/23 at about 7:30a...it will dip to 68 degrees for 15 minutes.  Most of the evening will be spent around 80 and humid.  Perfect tent weather if you're insane.  

Edited by Lobo

28 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, on 9/23 at about 7:30a...it will dip to 68 degrees for 15 minutes.  Most of the evening will be spent around 80 and humid.  Perfect tent weather if you're insane.  

I can handle that.  Now when my oldest has moved up out of Webelos, and we are camping once every month or two, including the summer, then I'm going to regret him not playing soccer or video games or something.