Blastfurnace 2019 Thread: The Saga Continues

Trey3216

Grew up with no AC.  Spent my summers as a kid at g-parents place in W.Texas working fence lines and building houses.  JFC I'm a marshmallow soft turd these days in terms of heat stamina.

I think it was 2001, hit triple digits for 90+ days?  We lost 40+ head of corriente roping steers.  Tanks mostly dried up.  Having to get down there and get a rope around the horns and drag them all off into a pile was loads of fun.  At least they were mostly desiccated.  

Now we bitch about getting into a hot car and the AC not taking long enough to cool us off....

• Like 1

I grew up with no A/C in Washington, D.C. where it's more humid than here, but certainly on average not as hot.

My wife and I had our power go out last weekend - and this was on that "cool" day of about 93° - for about 8 hours (4 p.m. until 2 a.m.).  I managed to get to sleep but it took awhile.  Up until then I had to actively do shit (water rags, quickly get out some ice, etc.) just to stay cool.

I honestly don't know how the fuck people could survive 100 days of this now.  I mean it won't kill you (well, under 75 at least) but good god you'd probably become a zombie in a short time due to no sleep, stress, etc. (since our well pressure is driven by an electric pump, we'd lose water after about 50 gals. to boot).

I do think today that more people would die or get heat whatever because our bodies have adapted to A/C.  Whether that makes us pussies or not I guess I don't know, but I'd rather be a cool pussy than a sweaty prick anyday.  Well you know what I mean...

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

maybe he is homeless. 

Trying to get a good spot for Longhorn Blvd.  

seriously though; ill be in town for that game.  Is the humidity gonna kill me?  Im basically a raisin who lives in the desert.  

1 minute ago, SDG said:

seriously though; ill be in town for that game.  Is the humidity gonna kill me?  Im basically a raisin who lives in the desert.  

Just mix vodka in your lime flavored coconut water 

5 minutes ago, SDG said:

nah you will survive. Drink water and beer and all good. If it gets to bad go jump in one of our wonderful fountains. 

I do think today that more people would die or get heat whatever because our bodies have adapted to A/C.  Whether that makes us pussies or not I guess I don't know, but I'd rather be a cool pussy than a sweaty prick anyday.  Well you know what I mean...

Our obesity epidemic is a factor as well. 95 degrees on a fat man is like salt on a slug.

27 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I grew up with no A/C in Washington, D.C. where it's more humid than here, but certainly on average not as hot.

My wife and I had our power go out last weekend - and this was on that "cool" day of about 93° - for about 8 hours (4 p.m. until 2 a.m.).  I managed to get to sleep but it took awhile.  Up until then I had to actively do shit (water rags, quickly get out some ice, etc.) just to stay cool.

I honestly don't know how the fuck people could survive 100 days of this now.  I mean it won't kill you (well, under 75 at least) but good god you'd probably become a zombie in a short time due to no sleep, stress, etc. (since our well pressure is driven by an electric pump, we'd lose water after about 50 gals. to boot).

keep in mind that houses nowadays are built with air conditioning in mind and are generally completely horrible for passive or other mechanical cooling. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, elfenix said:

keep in mind that houses nowadays are built with air conditioning in mind and are generally completely horrible for passive or other mechanical cooling. 

This is 100% accurate.  Compare, in the event that they were to continue functionally without power:

-5000 SF modern design with high ceilings and a flat roof, floor-to-ceiling windows that maximize views regardless of direction built with air-tight construction reliant on mechanical systems for humidity and temperature control 

-1200 SF slab on grade with solid stone walls, minimal windows, built and oriented to maximize prevailing winds with a dog run down the middle, long overhanging eaves and a big covered porch

• Like 1

My great grandma told me that when my grandmother was born they slept outside on the grass. When my grandmother was 2days old she slept outside on the grass.  She didn't sleep inside until she was 2months old and fall came around and it cooled off.

I can't imagine

6 hours ago, Post Oak said:

My great grandma told me that when my grandmother was born they slept outside on the grass. When my grandmother was 2days old she slept outside on the grass.  She didn't sleep inside until she was 2months old and fall came around and it cooled off.

I can't imagine

Fire ants would make that hard these days.

When we moved back south one of our cars had no air conditioning. Got great gas mileage though.

Lot of folks won't buy the ranch style homes these days, but IMO they have a better chance against the heat when the AC goes out. One of our homes up north had transoms inside, and some windows opened outward while others were raised. It was an old home with no AC, but it took really warm weather and humidity before you noticed.

I'm in west Texas today and 102 degrees felt fine since the dew point was only in the upper 50's.  Amazing how much a difference that makes.

They really need to move the I-35 corridor about 250 miles west. Iraan would make a good capitol, build a Town Lake on the Pecos.   

Edited by clapclapclap

45 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
9 hours ago, yoladu said:
Lived in Prather Dorm for 2 years without A/C.
YES, i am old.
YES, my parents love a bargain.
NO, i dont know how i survived it.

What was integration like?

ha.. believe it or not.. this was in the late 80s.

On 8/9/2019 at 5:06 PM, elfenix said:

True, but our house is actually built pretty well in that regard.  It's situated on a NW→SE angle, so the sun goes over it from corner to corner.  We have a pretty good porches and now 3-paned way-too-expensive windows for those that get > 2-3 hours of sun per day.  The sunniest part of the house that gets the afternoon beatdown is actually part of an addition which has that incredible foam spray-in insulation, I mean that shit is incredible... our rooms there are stained concrete floor and despite two windows facing the afternoon sun without a shade or eave, remains very cool although that entire wall gets heated up.  Then the sun goes behind some trees we have and it's gone.

When I open the windows in one bedroom we get a great breeze going into the house, and with room fans there's a lot of air moving around.
(I feel like I just put an ad in to sell the house!)

However, despite all that, when there is any humidity like two weeks ago, it doesn't matter.  Just too much fucking sauna shit moving through, very uncomfortable.  Ironically with hot dry air now (that the ground has pretty much dried out finally this summer) the air can cool a lot quicker and even passing under eaves or porches it can be bearable.  But not with 90°+ and 75% humidity.  That shit is not bearable, under any conditions.

On August 10, 2019 at 8:47 AM, Post Oak said:

I can't imagine

And when there was no crawdad to be found, they ate sand. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Is the sun turning into a Red Giant tomorrow?

Did you ever watch “the boy who saw earthquakes”?   It was Ron Howard’s little brother.  It was a clever twist, kinda like a 70’s version of twilight zone. 

Anyway, there’s gonna be a Nova 

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Did you ever watch “the boy who saw earthquakes”?   It was Ron Howard’s little brother.  It was a clever twist, kinda like a 70’s version of twilight zone. 

Anyway, there’s gonna be a Nova 

And the limit as it approaches zero of it happening works out to about 400 million generations 

7 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Welp...looks like it’s time to start getting ready for the impending Ice Age.

Listen to this man.. he's in pre-law.. or pre-med.  Whatever, what's the difference?

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-mini-ice-age-is-coming-in-the-next-15-years
A new model that predicts the solar cycles more accurately than ever before has suggested that solar magnetic activity will drop by 60 percent between 2030 and 2040, which means in just 15 years’ time, Earth could sink into what researchers are calling a mini ice age. 

I'll drink to skiing in Texas!

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 7:47 AM, Post Oak said:

I can't imagine

Some of the fancier old houses around here have porches attached to each bedroom upstairs where they would sleep during the hottest months of the summer.

21 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Son played in a soccer tournament this weekend on field turf.  If I closed my eyes, I was magically transported to Dubai in August.

Nah, no you weren't. That place in August is Hades. 110 at midnight with 70+ percent humidity. Amazing though it never went over 122F.