Blastfurnace 2019 Thread: The Saga Continues

Trey3216

Here in SA, the annual Texas Folklife Festival used to be held in August.  But it was always super hot then (no shit), so a few years ago they moved it to early June.  So for the last few years, that particular weekend has always been August-like blast furnace hot.  It looks like that trend will continue this weekend.

9 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I love it. Swimming in the hill country or playing with my kids in the pool. I like how it gets dark later. Eating BBQ just seems right in the summer. Longhorn football is right around the corner.

I think I said something similar in last year's thread, but I actually find as I get older, I enjoy Summer less with each passing year. 

I mean, I still enjoy hitting the pool/beach/lake on the weekends, going fishing, watching baseball. That's not what I'm talking about. 

I'm talking about it still being 91 at 8 p.m. and you're sweating your ass off and swatting mosquitos while trying to grill. Or walking through a 120 degree parking lot after eating a big lunch and then getting in your broiling vehicle.   

So, to clarify, it's not really Summer I don't enjoy any more. It's Summer in SE Texas. At some point in the next decade or so, I'm figuring out a way to work remotely and live anywhere but here from mid June-Labor Day.

58 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I love it. Swimming in the hill country or playing with my kids in the pool. I like how it gets dark later. Eating BBQ just seems right in the summer. Longhorn football is right around the corner.

Not all of us have the skin of a supple young Brazilian boy.

59 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

That was all fine and dandy back when you didn't need to get a reservation ahead of time for places like Hamilton Pool, or stand in line for BBQ. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I almost made a altitude qualifier in my statement but figured it wasn’t necessary for the globetrotting surly folks.

Anywhere in coastal Chile works for me. 

La Serena, Vina Del Mar, Concepcion, Antofagosta (NTTAWWT)

Edited by clapclapclap

14 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

No, just haven't reached the age where we crank the heater year-round or need a jacket to sit outside when it's 80 degrees.

I wear shorts and a polo shirt 98% of the time. When it gets below 60f with some wind, I’ll wear my Burntorange windbreaker. Never turn the car heater on either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

I think I said something similar in last year's thread, but I actually find as I get older, I enjoy Summer less with each passing year. 

I mean, I still enjoy hitting the pool/beach/lake on the weekends, going fishing, watching baseball. That's not what I'm talking about. 

I'm talking about it still being 91 at 8 p.m. and you're sweating your ass off and swatting mosquitos while trying to grill. Or walking through a 120 degree parking lot after eating a big lunch and then getting in your broiling vehicle.   

So, to clarify, it's not really Summer I don't enjoy any more. It's Summer in SE Texas. At some point in the next decade or so, I'm figuring out a way to work remotely and live anywhere but here from mid June-Labor Day.

We have relatives in NY we can stay with.   Wife has said she’s willing to check out various parts of New England in late July on the way to said relatives.   We aren’t moving anytime soon, but maybe this will open the door a bit.  

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Speaaking of swamp ass, it is also time to purchase a seperate stick of deodorant for said swamp ass.

21 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Is this real? Don't joke with me. I have to know if you practice this. 

Are you asking if it's socially acceptable to shove a stick of deodorant up your ass?

I mean, it's your ass.  Do what you feel.

This is always the worst part of summer to me.  The build up and dread.  If I can make it to summer solstice without my brain melting I'll be ok.   I know after that days start getting shorter and shorter and it's all a downhill slide thru the inner circle of hell.   

Of course just when everyone is saying No Mas phdhorn will remind us that the hottest time of the year is mid-August to mid-September.

This August I'm going to

7 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

This is always the worst part of summer to me.  The build up and dread.  If I can make it to summer solstice without my brain melting I'll be ok.   I know after that days start getting shorter and shorter and it's all a downhill slide thru the inner circle of hell.   

Of course just when everyone is saying No Mas phdhorn will remind us that the hottest time of the year is mid-August to mid-September.

This August I'm going to

That looks incredible. PNWy almost. How do you get there and where are you going? Do you like fly into Green Bay and rent a car or what? 

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That looks incredible. PNWy almost. How do you get there and where are you going? Do you like fly into Green Bay and rent a car or what? 

Details haven't been finalized yet but I'm planning on driving. Take about 10 days or so around the 18th of August. 

I always think about going just to get away and this year I told my wife we are doing it.  She said great but you plan it.  

8 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

I'm supposed to take my wife to Mackinac island in July.

2020, that is.

Needed sweaters in the PNW last week.  Landed at HOU on Sunday night at 9pm and got hit in the face by the warm air.

Dammit.

My wife's best friend lives in Aspen and we usually go visit for 5 or 6 days every August.  

Best place on earth that time of year. You wake up and it's about 50, warms up to maybe 80 or so during the mid-day and then back down to the low 60's by dinnertime.  Very little humidity. 

Flying home wearing a fleece jacket and landing back in Houston to 97 and 100% humidity is one of life's cruelest jokes.

I just need to find about $5-10M or so laying around and then you'll know where to find me this time of year.

12 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Details haven't been finalized yet but I'm planning on driving. Take about 10 days or so around the 18th of August. 

I always think about going just to get away and this year I told my wife we are doing it.  She said great but you plan it.  

As opposed to... her planning it? 

Or are you married to the rare breed that can actually competently plan a trip.

• Like 1