Blastfurnace 2019 Thread: The Saga Continues

Trey3216

59 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Yeh good news is that it looks like the good weather will continue, the bad news is that the Monday front is looking weaker and weaker.

I will settle for almost anything at this point. Drop the highs from 95 to 85, the lows from 75 to 65, bring down the dew points and I'll be happy. Anything other than hot and muggy.

3 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

I will settle for almost anything at this point. Drop the highs from 95 to 85, the lows from 75 to 65, bring down the dew points and I'll be happy. Anything other than hot and muggy.

Pretty much this.  I'm tired of hearing my AC run all damn night just to try and keep the house cool enough to sleep because it's so damn humid.  

1 hour ago, HoustonFrog said:

Yeh good news is that it looks like the good weather will continue, the bad news is that the Monday front is looking weaker and weaker. And if we’ve learned anything it’s that the further out a forecast, the better odds that it’s hotter than projected

I'm shocked, absolutely shocked I tell you, that the front they have been teasing us with may actually be weaker than expected.  But after that, boy oh boy, it's really gonna cool off.

poster.jpg?width=720

Welp, about to officially switch out my ticket for ACL from W1 to W2 because the forecast for W2 seems beautiful at this point.  Sure I'll miss the OU game, but I had to take up the opportunity for the wristband offered me.  Which of course means that W2 will now be 110 degrees, but the good news is we will beat oU by two scores.  So grain of salt, and all that...

Yeah, I know but the Friday and Saturday lineups are too good to pass up, particularly since the weather looks to be at least tolerable (if not downright pleasant) that weekend.  I'm giving up wristband for Sunday if you're interested.  

Here is the latest from Jeff Lindner.  He still believes and he's more often right than wrong.

Not much to discuss in the weather as summer continues along even though we are now in October.

Massive heat ridge over the southern US resulting in numerous both daily and all-time October record highs across the SE and E US is starting to show signs of breaking down. An impressive trough over the western US that has resulted in early season snow of 2-4 feet in portions of MT will begin to progress eastward and help breakdown and flatten the strong ridge over the SE US. As this ridge begins to loosen its grip on the southern US and southern plains a cold front will slide southward down the plains and into TX on Sunday. I am always uneasy about these first fronts on the year and how much “actual” cooling they will bring. Models tend to like to bring more cold air southward than what actually makes it all the way this far south. With that said, the upper level pattern supports a frontal passage late Sunday into Monday with the front pushing across the Gulf waters on Monday and even clearing our outer waters and heading for the central Gulf by Tuesday. Some of this extra acceleration of the boundary southward will be in part with the circulation around a tropical disturbance that will be slowly moving or stationary over the Bay of Campeche this weekend.

Dry air advection and even some cold air advection can be expected on Monday and the likely most noticeable difference between Sunday and Monday will be the sharp drop in humidity values. Highs temperatures near 90 on Sunday will likely only reach the lower to mid 80’s on Monday. Low temperatures will likely see the biggest difference…from the near steady 75-80 each night for the last several months to lows down in the lower 60’s by Tuesday morning. Some of the guidance is wanting to go into the 50’s, but not overly confident it will get that cold just yet.

Not much rain chances with the front as low level winds turn ENE/NE by Saturday and Sunday and reduce the potential for surface convergence. Post frontal air mass will be dry with gusty winds on Monday and with areas generally west of I-45 having largely missed the heavy rainfall of Imelda, fire weather concerns will be possible.

Real Feel temperature at 11:00p in October is 86 degrees.  That's insane.  How the fuck are some of you talking about camping in this clam chowder taint sweat frappucino going on outside right now?  Sunday looks to hit 100 degrees again because why the fuck not?  I am so glad I traded ACL tickets.  I am watching football indoors all weekend, fuck my yardwork.  But yes, to be optimistic---if this forecast for about 10 days out from now holds---what a glorious Autumn it will be.  

86 is nice in the middle of Autumn at midnight?  None of the animals in my backyard are making any noise because they can sense something is wrong with all of this.  

15 hours ago, Lobo said:

Welp, about to officially switch out my ticket for ACL from W1 to W2 because the forecast for W2 seems beautiful at this point.  Sure I'll miss the OU game, but I had to take up the opportunity for the wristband offered me.  Which of course means that W2 will now be 110 degrees, but the good news is we will beat oU by two scores.  So grain of salt, and all that...

What fucking band is playing that you have to go see that makes you miss the OU game?

Oh and you are an idiot.

• Like 1

Some years, ACL is more fun.  Some years the game is more fun.  Some years, I'd try and do both.  Things change, people get older.  Can't do the whole weekend in Dallas this year with two little kids at home.  And the up and back on just Saturday is a beating after a long work week (have to leave Austin around 4:30a or so and don't get home until after dark/the kids have gone to bed).  So some folks decide to hang back in Austin and attend the ACL Music Festival.  Plus the weather is supposed to be so damn nice, that was a clincher for me.   I didn't realize every other single Longhorn fan on here attends the OU game.  Seems like only about 45,000 or so fit into the UT side each year, but I guess every single UT fan attends.  Seems like that's over-capacity. 

It's an outdoor music festival, so bringing it up on a weather thread isn't that strange.  We talk about football games and weather all the time.  No matter what you're doing next weekend, this weekend is gonna have so many damn visitors melting in Zilker Park---we may actually see a net population loss because there's no way anybody is moving here after this weekend.  I live less than a mile from zilker park and the haze of balmy taint sweat sitting over the park/lake/downtown right now is palpable (or so South Austin's mom has told me).  

I'm at ACL this weekend, and driving up and back next Saturday for the OU game.  I don't have kids though.

ACL is my second favorite weekend of the year, but the OU game is my favorite day of the year, win or lose, every single year.

Weather-wise, yes Weekend 1 of the festival got the short end of the stick this year.  It's brutal.

They're trying to fuck up this cold front too. Yesterday the high was listed at 75 for monday now it's already set for 79 and they have it getting back up to 93 by the middle of the week. I fully expect some miracle stall in the front just because the neverending summer never ends. Bizarro Narnia shit.

27 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I work the draft beer tent at ACL. You guys can’t fathom how hot it is back there.

Holy shit it was awful and today will be worse.

7 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

bet there's ACL underbutt though

and you have beer

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Yesterday in Houston was lower 90’s.  I guess I’m used to it, but I thought the day was absolutely perfect.  I’m not a fan of the 100+ stuff, but give me mid 80’s to low 90’s year round please.

You prefer low 90's with Houston humidity to be the weather year-around?  I hope you enjoy your slow drift into pre-menopausal drama.  

I have noticed that Weather.com seems to be super conservative in its Houston forecasts. Their temps have been consistently 4-5 degrees higher than local forecasts and they envision a rapid return to summer conditions on Wednesday and Thursday.

Weather.com: 85/65, 89/74, 91/75

KHOU: 81/63, 83/62, 87/70

ABC13: 80/63, 84/70, 88/67