Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 hours ago, randygilman said:

The Ransom tidbit will be released once he receives $20000 in unmarked, non consecutive $20 bills

Did you just fly in from the 90's? If you're going to scam or extort, at least ask for it in bitcoin.

Spoiler

Sexy To The Moon GIF by Mr.Cryply

49 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Would that really be that weird? Sumlin probably feels like he got dicked over by A&M, and I never got the sense that Sumlin hated Texas beyond the fact that he was trying to win at A&M so we were the obvious recruiting rival.

Maybe we could pick Kevin up as a qc analyst after Arizona fires him. 

38 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Hell, let’s see if Mike Sherman and Franchione are available while we’re at it.

In between naps, Sherman would be a hell of an analyst even if he did nothing but show up and watch film of linemen and tell us which one he thought would do the best in college. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

Friday, right?

Feels like all our main targets are making decisions. I'm curious to see who we go after after them.

After Eaton, Jordan, probably continue to work on Collins, see if Jaxon wants to flip and focus on winning football games.  If we spank LSU, we may flip Josh White and that would be our target.  Apparently Orlando still trying to get Flowe to come.

If we close out with Eaton, get Collins to speed up his decision, and get Ty Jordan on board, then we can basically just focus on 2021, a few blue chips in 2020 depending on how the season falls like flipping white or JSN, and most importantly recruiting the fuck out of Demas just to make aTm sweat. I feel like we haven't had a close sewn up this early and this talented in ages to afford that kind of luxury fucking. Force Fisher and company to have to continue to work Demas through the fall. Get him to take some visits. 

I've never wanted a Texas player to transfer to IMG until now. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If we close out with Eaton, get Collins to speed up his decision, and get Ty Jordan on board, then we can basically just focus on 2021, a few blue chips in 2020 depending on how the season falls like flipping white or JSN, and most importantly recruiting the fuck out of Demas just to make aTm sweat. I feel like we haven't had a close sewn up this early and this talented in ages to afford that kind of luxury fucking. Force Fisher and company to have to continue to work Demas through the fall. Get him to take some visits. 

Could you expand on how one close sews and fucks luxury? 

6bd83b6a28b3bf7da31d10f6f4fe2e2c.jpg

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’ve seen it mentioned before but is Demas really ineligible to play this fall? Getting him out of state would help open him up to the SEC process. 

And all fucking should be luxurious unless you are doing it wrong. 

Just now, Newy25 said:

I’ve seen it mentioned before but is Demas really ineligible to play this fall? Getting him out of state would help open him up to the SEC process. 

His eligibility hasn't been determined yet, I don't think. I think that ruling comes down this week? 

9 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Either way it’s a win for us.  Force aggy to waste time and energy re-recruiting him.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have to tell you, I can't really see the Demas stuff. Is that being discussed somewhere or is this pure fantasy?

Well the head coaches in his new district all voted unanimously against his transfer, so if he wants to play this year what then?

The UIL is unlikely to grant his appeal, so it is private school, prep academy or sit. 

I think the IMG idea is a bit of wishful thinking mixed in with some logic on how IMG operates..

Edited by Laxtonto

9 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Well the head coaches in his new district all voted unanimously against his transfer, so if he wants to play this year what then?

The UIL is unlikely to grant his appeal, so it is private school, prep academy or sit. 

I think the IMG idea is a bit of wishful thinking mixed in with some logic on how IMG operates..

Sorry, I was just typing about the "Texas should make it hard for the aggies in his recruitment" sentiment.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sorry, I was just typing about the "Texas should make it hard for the aggies in his recruitment" sentiment.

I don’t think he’s even considering Texas unless A&M crashes and burns, but if he does end up out of state I could see some other SEC teams jump in to try to entice him to at least take a visit or two

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That’s just Sydney Cartoon making his best effort to fuck luxury. 

I would be all for him going to IMG and at least making the ags sweat it with half the SEC visiting him regularly, but even then I still think he’d be most likely to end up at A&M.

I think I would rather Demas at A&M than tOSU, Georgia, Alabama, or Clemson. He would help those teams recruit Texas plus there is a decent chance we may play one of those teams. Best case would be someone like Auburn, Tennessee, FSU or Miami winning the recruitment.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I think I would rather Demas at A&M than tOSU, Georgia, Alabama, or Clemson. He would help those teams recruit Texas plus there is a decent chance we may play one of those teams. Best case would be someone like Auburn, Tennessee, FSU or Miami winning the recruitment.

Demas doesn't seem to be much of a recruiting magnet or leader for tamu but perhaps it's just because he has to push uphill there. He'll certainly be more irrelevant there though.

24 minutes ago, Bamboozled73 said:

Red is on it.  He's parking a burnt orange F250 in front of his house everyday.

F-250 Limited if we're talking a LUXURY fucking. Get that plebeian f-250 XLT cloth seat shit out of here.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, westexhorn said:

After Eaton, Jordan, probably continue to work on Collins, see if Jaxon wants to flip and focus on winning football games.  If we spank LSU, we may flip Josh White and that would be our target.  Apparently Orlando still trying to get Flowe to come.

Remaining uncommitted guys:

Eaton - Friday

Ty Jordan - sometime before end of Aug. 

Alfred Collins - calculator but nobody knows when

Javian Hester - who knows

Levon Bunkley-Shelton - Look good here but won’t decide until after the season. 

Flip candidates were still working on:

Jaxon Smith-Njiba - Ohio State

Lathan Ransom - Ohio State 

Bryson Washington - OU 

Chris Thompson - Auburn 

Jahari Rogers - Florida 

Josh White - LSU

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Demas doesn't seem to be much of a recruiting magnet or leader for tamu but perhaps it's just because he has to push uphill there. He'll certainly be more irrelevant there though.

Seems like a pretty good leader of the class to me. He was one of the most popular guys at the Rivals camp where A&M was supposedly the hottest team. Active on social media and with guys like Evans. Not his fault Herman is smacking Jimbo around. 

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Seems like a pretty good leader of the class to me. He was one of the most popular guys at the Rivals camp where A&M was supposedly the hottest team. Active on social media and with guys like Evans. Not his fault Herman is smacking Jimbo around. 

Will probably be a natural leader of whatever team he happens to be on this year-- he may even already have an idea who it will be.

IT

By: Eric and Justin

On the heels of a two-commitment weekend, the Longhorns continue to fill spots for the Class of 2020, while bird-dogging the 2021 class as well. We take a closer look at the remaining targets for Texas this cycle and where UT stands, plus quotes from Xavion Alford, Kitan Crawford, and Jamarion Miller in Monday's Scoop.

PERCENTAGES

Texas is at 17 commitments after a furious five weeks of activity. If needs haven't already been met at a position, there's a pretty clear path for building out each group.

Let's take a look and see how the class might continue to fill out.

Running Back - Remaining Needs - 1

Ty Jordan, West Mesquite (Mesquite, TX): When Texas started to feel a bit iffy on Bijan Robinson they really amped up the Ty Jordan recruitment. That's exactly what was needed to make-up ground on USC and UT-lite. I had been leery over whether or not the staff would ever push hard enough to land the pinball with 10.5 speed but the dynamics at the position set up well, even after landing Robinson. Texas is the leader with a decision from Jordan looming before the season. 85%

Wide Receiver - Remaining Needs - 3

We believe the number at receiver is likely four instead of three. Feel free to read into that. Texas landed stud Quentin Johnston over the weekend but there's still a lot of work to be done. Johnston has a very clear fit at Z, now to find an X, an H, and perhaps a Jack-of-all-trades.

LV Bunkley-Shelton, Junipero Serra (Gardena, CA): Fittingly, LV-BS fits in the Josh Moore mold. Moore fit pretty well into the Reggie Hemphill-Mapps mold. So we have similar skill-sets, hyphens galore, and maybe a curse or two. Bunkley-Shelton is a vertical H or Z who would be an unfair match-up on bigger defensive personnel. Since visiting he's said all the right things and he's clearly done his homework on the school. There's a thing or two we're watching behind the scenes on this one. 65%

Javian Hester, Booker T. Washington (Tulsa, OK): Justin and I are struggling to see how they came up with 6-foot-3.5 as his listing at a regional Opening. He seems more 6-foot-2-ish. He's smooth and quick with good hands but would be a developmental X. There's a few ways you can go about that position, and Hester is more in the Marcus Washington image than Collin Johnson. It's tough to gauge how hard UT is pushing here. We do believe if he wanted to commit he'd be a Horn and we know he likes UT quite a bit. We could see an early season decision. 75%

Johnny Wilson, Calabasas (Calabasas, CA) - OREGON: Oregon getting him off his timeline could be Wilson getting caught up in the atmosphere, getting pressured, or something else entirely. It's hard to know for sure if he'll take his official visit to Texas but he has said he will. I've felt Oregon was going to be his landing spot but there is still hope that a big season from Collin Johnson could help sway him. As a recruit you want to remove as much doubt from your decision as possible and Johnson having a huge year would underline Wilson's upside at Texas. Collin is going to have a big year. 30%

Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Rockwall (Rockwall, TX) - fOSU: We're aware that other outlets are throwing some cold water on this but we're actually happy about that. I like JS-N in the slot -- where else would you put a hyphened player -- but he could play any position. Maybe he isn't great at any one thing, other than making big plays, but he's good at everything. He's a high floor player who has a knack for getting open. 40%

Defensive Line - Remaining Needs - 1

An already good class may get much better -- but the question is when? Vernon Broughton, Van Fillinger, and Princely Umanmielen make for a great triumvirate but landing Alfred Collins would make this the best defensive line haul I've covered. Texas had some favorable tailwinds in the cycle and should maximize the class.

Jacobian Guillory, Alexandria (Alexandria, LA) - .01%

Alfred Collins, Cedar Creek (Bastrop, TX) - The most important recruit left on the board *might* commit before the season but that remains to be seen. We think over the course of the summer Texas opened up a solid lead. He wants to stay close to home, academics check all the boxes, and he feels comfortable around the program. 85%

Linebacker - Remaining Needs - 1 or 2

Todd Orlando's linebacker room might not be as vacant as we thought. Current players are emerging and should be ready to go for the 2020 season at a minimum. If they get good news on DGF then the position might even become a strength. Currently with zero commitments, unless Jaden Hullaby has the head for it, Texas needs at least one good linebacker and maybe two. There's also the chance Prince Dorbah could do some Rover things a la Joseph Ossai.

Josh White, Cypress Creek (Houston, TX) - LSU: In talking to White on several occasions I've felt he's solid to LSU and mainly just keeping in contact with schools in case there's a coaching shake-up in Baton Rouge. I also felt like his mother, a native Louisianan, wanted him at LSU. Now, I'm not so sure. Texas does a tremendous job with parents and I think ground is quietly being made up. White is supposed to take an official visit for the LSU game and that presents a great opportunity to make a move. If you want a sign of the staff having some confidence here, they haven't gotten too jumpy with offers. Even though I think the depth chart is in okay shape going forward it might not look like that to the naked eye. They can sell early playing time. 40%

*40% is my go-to percentage for "UT isn't leading now but could make a big jump."

Defensive Back - Remaining Needs - 2

Lathan Ransom, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ) - fOSU: The key here is to get him back for the LSU game in a few weeks. If he makes that visit then I think he becomes a coin flip or maybe even better for Texas. For Texas to win that game the safeties will have to play a huge part. I initially had him at 70% to Texas. That either underlines how wrong I was or how there's still a solid chance to get him in the fold. 40%.

Jahari Rogers, Arlington (Arlington, TX) - FLORIDA: Because Rogers isn't a lock to sign with Florida I'm kind of surprised by the push for Josh Eaton but maybe they like Kitan Crawford and Ethan Pouncey and want to bet on Eaton's upside. If Texas didn't get in a hurry and stayed on Rogers I think they could make the recruitment interesting. They may not think the juice is worth the squeeze. 30%

Josh Eaton, Aldine MacArthur (Houston, TX): I can see why he's a take for any school in the nation and I could see why he's a pass for the blue bloods. He has an uncommon combination of size and speed for corner but he has more of a wide receiver disposition. Texas demands physicality at the position and that would have to be ingrained. I'm mildly surprised they'd press here given they're still in it for Jahari Rogers. Maybe they will look at Eaton at receiver if corner doesn't work? He's not a safety, that's for sure. He's seemed very close to committing for a while now and I'm not exactly sure why he hasn't made a decision. I think he's also had about three commitment dates so far this summer. Uncertainty over whether or not he announces this week is why I have this "low." 80%

XAVION ALFORD

When the four-star safety decided on his future home, it was after a long talk with his family and coaches. Playing at DBU was always something Alford had dreamed about. But Alabama and Texas A&M made strong pushes.

“From the coaches, to the players, to the depth chart, to the educational part, everything was just right," said Alford. "It felt like home.”

That home-y feeling is something that a lot of commitments have mentioned over the last year. When the team is bought-in to the culture that Herman's staff has cultivated, the recruits feed off that vibe. Parents too.

“This is where I belong," Alford said. "I’m from Texas, Texas is DBU, and I’m glad to be a part of the Texas team that is on the rise.”

Alford is one of the smarter kids we've covered over the last few cycles. His ability to dissect opposing team's offenses is something that coach Craig Naivar craved. 

What type of prospect will the Horns be getting from the 6-foot-0, 180-pound defensive back?

“A nasty, physical, ball-hawking, smart, vocal, team player, and a great teammate," Alford explained. "I’m the 100-yard landlord, and the 40 Acres are a beautiful piece of real estate.”

The secondary for 2020 is filling in nicely. Alford, Jerrin Thompson, Ethan Pouncey, and Kitan Crawford already make up one of the more formidable defensive backfields in the nation. And UT isn't done yet.

About that Crawford kid...

KITAN CRAWFORD 

It’s 5 a.m. and the John Tyler ATH is at work. The Lions and head coach Ricklan Holmes always get an early start to the day. If you want to see them at practice, you better set your alarm.

The Texas pledge is one of the hardest workers on the team. He has to be. When you're a captain at JT, the expectation of the greats before you - Earl Campbell, David Warren, Gary Baxter, Aaron Ross, Greg Ward - is always the standard.

"This year, I'm basically playing for my brothers, keeping everybody in the right direction, and being a team leader," said Crawford.

With Crawford committed to Texas, he's constantly under the microscope and knows he has to handle himself a certain way. Especially leading his teammates.

"I have to set the example," Crawford said. "Little kids, the freshmen all look up to me. I'm the leader and everybody looks up to me. If I slack off, they'll think they can slack off. We can't have that."

The 6-foot-0, 188-pound four-star corner moves effortlessly through drills, even if it's still dark outside. He's ready for his final HS season. He's also glad his recruitment is over and he's more than happy with his decision.

"Not really," said Crawford, about enjoying the process. "I mean, I enjoyed the recruiting process, but I fell in love with Texas, and knew early on where I'd be headed."

Coach Holmes knows what he has in Cujo's talented prospect.

"I'm expecting him to live up to the hype," said Holmes. "Because of the type of kid he is, because of his work ethic, because of his physical stature, and everything he brings to the table, all that combined with mental toughness. That's Kitan."

For now, practice is over and they head to the showers. The sun has started to rise and the day is beginning. For Crawford, it's just another day at work.

9 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

So was Matt Davis - WRTS2.0?

I have it on good authority that Demas wants to see how this season unfolds and is far from fully committed to aggy. According to this source, Demas feels a sense of regret for shutting things down so early and is giving serious thought to the idea of playing in Austin. 

Apparently the idea of playing in the Big 12 and for a more current NFL style of play is peaking his interest. This unnamed source suggests that Demas only committed to aggy as a placeholder and with the promise that he would get to fuck Candi every third Tuesday.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Get ln My Van said:

I have it on good authority that Demas wants to see how this season unfolds and is far from fully committed to aggy. According to this source, Demas feels a sense of regret for shutting things down so early and is giving serious thought to the idea of playing in Austin. 

Apparently the idea of playing in the Big 12 and for a more current NFL style of play is peaking his interest. This unnamed source suggests that Demas only committed to aggy as a placeholder and with the promise that he would get to fuck Candi every third Tuesday.

how do I get you this $9.95?

14 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Luxury fucking a potential new name for the recruiting board? 

Texas Recruiting Notes 2023 - Luxury Fucking

Just need the Bot to find a tweet about some HS freshman to kick it off 

Edited by GRHorn
  • Like 1