Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

21 minutes ago, tittiesandbeer said:

His highlights are fun.

Damn right they are.

First off, he's one of those guys where it looks like the film is sped up just for him. He's shifty as hell and consistently outruns guys with good angles on him. Secondly, he's got the VY / Uncle Rico throwing motion down pat. And finally, and perhaps most importantly, whoever edited his video and added the "secret sauce" and "show out" and "showtime" player arrows deserves an Oscar. That's about a 97% on the recruiting film rotten tomato-meter.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

These are always fun, so decided to give it a try...

On this day in Texas Recruiting Notes 2019:

Just kidding, it didn't exist yet. The Shagpocalypse, The Great Migration, and The Boycott of The Eskimo Hut had not yet occurred. The current incarnation of the 2019 thread that we know and love was born on March 25, 2018.  7 weeks to go until that anniversary and 2020 already has 117 pages up. The trek to 1000 continues...

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

So now that the 2019 classes are finished across the nation, anyone care to make some predictions for 2020 on this thread? 

Top 5 for 2020:

(in no order)

Bama, Georgia, Texas, Ohio State, Clemson

Surprise Class on the positive? North Carolina - it's deep in-state and Mack Brown has a good recruiting staff. On top of that he's energized and hitting the area hard already. 

Surprise Class on the negative? Michigan - In spite of everything with Meyer, I still think Harbaugh's staff turnover and personal flaws are going to limit Michigan ascending.

OU rank: Top 10 with more Mackovickian lopsided offensive talent vs defensive talent.

ATM rank: Top 15 with smaller numbers and less new car smell.

Total number in Texas' class: 24 - I've been passing on the premise of less than 20 and I can't make the numbers believable to myself at this point. Hudson and Brown not being in the program makes the starting point something like 19 available scholarships, so losing another 5 for various reasons over the next 18 months seems not just logical but probable. Of course, if they're viewing the transfer portal as a place where they're going to add 2-3 guys each year that have multiple years of eligibility left, then that might continue to push numbers below 25 if the program remains stable.

"OU rank: Top 10 with more Mackovickian lopsided offensive talent vs defensive talent."

Agree overall with this exception..  I think Lincoln actually gets the need for D and works to get one.

After the Evans no-show to the Aggy super bowl party extravaganza, I can confirm that Evans bro continues to not be enamored with the aggies . He clicked the like button on a retweet that asked “what kind of cult shit is this?” to a video of a bizarro milkman dance.

In summary, advantage aggy.

• Like 1

So for these in-state kids, an offer is actually an offer, yes? Whereas for out of state guys it's often more an invitation to come camp and be evaluated? Or is it a bit more murky than that?

edit: Was I incepted into using the word "murky" to describe the situation by other thread? Almost certainly

Edited by TommyGufano

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

So for these in-state kids, an offer is actually an offer, yes? Whereas for out of state guys it's often more an invitation to come camp and be evaluated? Or is it a bit more murky than that?

edit: Was I incepted into using the word "murky" to describe the situation by other thread? Almost certainly

A offer is just an offer unless it’s not 

Wish we'd give Brayden Thomas a look as QB2, but he's a skinny kid so that's more homerism on my part than realism. 247 actually has him ahead of King, who I also really like, at 62 instate with an offer from Ole Miss. He had shoulder surgery before junior season and battled through it but was lights out as a freshman and sophomore.

He's better than Ken Seals

Edited by cmontexas

29 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Not really. The staff is just more emboldened to throw out offers to the OOS guys because they don't have to worry about pissing off the Texas HS coaches.

29 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Wish we'd give Brayden Thomas a look as QB2, but he's a skinny kid so that's more homerism on my part than realism. 247 actually has him ahead of King, who I also really like, at 62 instate with an offer from Ole Miss. He had shoulder surgery before junior season and battled through it but was lights out as a freshman and sophomore.

He's better than Ken Seals

LSU has commitments from a pair of 2020 four-star quarterbacks, according to the 247Sports Composite, in Max Johnson from Georgia and in-state recruit TJ Finley. However, Haynes King from Longview, is a player who has been on the Tigers' radar for months and an offer is not too surprising. King has gotten offers from Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, TCU, Tennessee, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, North Texas, Texas State, Tulsa, and ULM at the FBS level. He also has an FCS offer from Stephen F. Austin State. King most recently took a junior day visit to TCU on Jan. 26.

In two seasons, King has thrown for 5,984 yards, 67 TD's, and 12 INT's. He has rushed for 902 yards and 10 scores on 9.1 yards per carry and is a true dual-threat option as he's considered one of the fastest players on Longview's roster, which is certainly not lacking in overall team speed. Longview's 2018 state title is the first for the Lobos since 1937, a surprising statistic given the consistently competitive nature of the program over the years. King's father is John King, who has led Longview to a 168-36 record in his 15 seasons as head coach. He is originally from Springhill, La., and played offensive line at Northwestern State.

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

LSU has commitments from a pair of 2020 four-star quarterbacks, according to the 247Sports Composite, in Max Johnson from Georgia and in-state recruit TJ Finley. However, Haynes King from Longview, is a player who has been on the Tigers' radar for months and an offer is not too surprising. King has gotten offers from Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, TCU, Tennessee, Houston, Louisiana Tech, Memphis, North Texas, Texas State, Tulsa, and ULM at the FBS level. He also has an FCS offer from Stephen F. Austin State. King most recently took a junior day visit to TCU on Jan. 26.

In two seasons, King has thrown for 5,984 yards, 67 TD's, and 12 INT's. He has rushed for 902 yards and 10 scores on 9.1 yards per carry and is a true dual-threat option as he's considered one of the fastest players on Longview's roster, which is certainly not lacking in overall team speed. Longview's 2018 state title is the first for the Lobos since 1937, a surprising statistic given the consistently competitive nature of the program over the years. King's father is John King, who has led Longview to a 168-36 record in his 15 seasons as head coach. He is originally from Springhill, La., and played offensive line at Northwestern State.

Just talked to my dad, a former coach at Longview, who said Tennessee should probably be considered the favorite for King at this time.  Not sure how plugged in he is, but thought it was worth sharing.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Just talked to my dad, a former coach at Longview, who said Tennessee should probably be considered the favorite for King at this time.  Not sure how plugged in he is, but thought it was worth sharing.

He loves LSU

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/02/open-post-weekend-february-8th-10th/

Tom Herman NSD Press Conference
– CJ Vogel

The annual National Signing Day press conference took place this afternoon at 2:00 p.m. and Texas Head Coach Tom Herman dropped these tidbits regarding the 2019 class and some nuggets regarding the team’s offseason.

Patrick Hudson

Hudson is currently away from the team and will take time to “figure out what he wants to do moving forward. The possibility of returning to the program is certainly on the table.”

Hudson was one of the prized recruits from the 2016 recruiting class but has yet to be a big factor on the field. If you recall, Hudson was hospitalized in September and spent a week in the ICU for heat related cramps and dehydration.

Staff Switch-Up

Not much change in the coaching staff with Herman opting to keep the same personnel from last season, however some notable title changes:

Derek Warehime will be the Special Teams Coordinator.

Craig Naiver’s title on the staff will be co-defensive coordinator.

Finishing the 2019 Cycle

“Recruiting is heading into the right direction. We have the right players, we have the right coaches, and we have the right athletic director.”

Herman ended his press conference with that quote. He said he fully believes Texas is headed in the right direction.

***Javonne Shepherd did sign his LOI today and was announced by the Texas program as a member of the 2019 cycle.

Herman said Shepherd’s family was on campus last week and that was the only college visit his family went on during the entire recruiting process.

Herman also noted that Shepherd is 6’6″ and currently 318 pounds.

***Bru McCoy was announced as a member of the late signing day group despite being on campus for a week already.

Herman said he had a very “minimal” impact on McCoy’s recruitment but praised the relationships his staff was able to build with this cycle’s recruits.

“It is truly built on relationships. When they commit to the University of Texas, it is a decision in which they are not 99%, but they are almost 100% sure.”

Injury Updates

QB Sam Ehlinger – Has been limited in opening weeks of winter workouts.
WR Collin Johnson – Will miss a good majority of winter workouts following knee surgery.
DE Marqez Bimage- Has been cleared for contact and will be ready for the spring practice period.
Herman said all three should be ready to go for spring practice.

Spring Practice 

Key Dates:

Spring Practice begins March 11
Texas Pro-Day is March 27
Orange-White Game is scheduled for April 13 at 6:00 p.m.

2020 Legacy Recruit Offered
– Super K

Earlier this week, I mentioned 2020 OT, Tosh Baker saying…

Earlier this evening, Texas A&M offered a talented offensive tackle, Tosh Baker out of Pinnacle HS (AZ) who I happened to see play basketball last week.

I spoke with Baker and his family after the game and it turns out that Bakers father used to coach at SMU and his mother is a Texas grad.

At that time I asked them if they’d heard from Texas yet but they said they had not. Texas is looking very good with their in-state prospects but given the numbers they need, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them at least reach out to Baker.

It appears the silence from the Horns has been broken as Baker did pick up a Texas offer.

Baker’s father actually used to coach at the collegiate level including a stint at SMU and UTEP. His mother is Texas grad and originally from El Paso, Texas.

He recently took an unofficial visit to Notre Dame and in speaking to him it was clear they made quite the impression. Part of the appeal is clearly the academic standing of a program like Notre Dame. That should play in Texas’ favor.

I’ll go back through my notes from my conversation with Baker and his family for a full write-up.

I do expect Baker to visit Texas in the near future.

Quick Hitters | Team Notes
– Will Baizer

– Per a few sources in the program, when Spring practices start we are expecting redshirt freshman Christian Jones to be working with the 1s as the right tackle.

– Per the same sources, we will be expecting redshirt freshman Rafiti Ghirmai to be trying out the center position this Spring. If you’re familiar with Herb Hand, then this move to a matrix like depth chart shouldn’t surprise you. I don’t expect Ghirmai to stop working other positions, but with Elijah Rodriguez graduating, Texas will be pretty desperate for depth behind Shackelford.

– As we pointed out before, Derek Warehime will be taking special teams duties off of CraigNaivar’s hands, who now has Co-DC added to his title. We’ve talked about this in the past (and it seems obvious now), but once Todd Orlando leaves for a head coaching job, Craig Naivar would likely replace him as defensive coordinator.

– The more I head the more it seems like newcomer Jordan Whittington is blowing up so far during winter conditioning. According to one source, last week he led all skill players in “effort and weight lifting.”

Texas Offers | Ryan Watts & Jahari Rogers | Visit Update
– Super K

In my recent defensive backs’ notebook I mentioned the following…

Don’t be surprised to see Texas offer 2020 ATH Jahari Rogers (as a defensive back) out of Arlington HS. Also, keep an eye on Ethan Pouncey (Winter Park, FL), Ryan Watts (Little Elm), Joshua Eaton and others.

Two of those players have now been offered by Texas. The Horns extended offers to both Ryan Watts and Jahari Rogers.

Rogers plays quarterback but he’s being recruited as a defensive back. Very dynamic athlete. Schools like Oklahoma, Florida and Baylor are in the mix early. He’s a Sooner legacy and is originally from Louisiana. He moved to Texas after Katrina.

Ryan Watts is a big cornerback…to the tune of a legit 6’2. Watts tells me he’s already set up a visit to Texas for the junior day next weekend (February 16th).

For Watts Texas A&M, OU, Arkansas and Notre Dame seem to be the major players.

9 hours ago, joeycovers said:

ESPN New Rankings

1. Evans

109. Card

203. Parr

254. Majors

No clue what previous rankings were

Others of Note

24. Ringo

25. Jackson

66. Lindberg

72. Thompson

80. Broughton

Good looking out. Time to start recording these to note the player movements. ESPN300 players of note:

1. Zach Evans

6. Justin Flowe

11. Jase McClellan (OU commit)

14. Sav'ell Smalls

15. Kendall Milton

19. Elias Ricks (LSU commit)

20. DJ Uiagalelei

24. Kelee Ringo

25. Ja'Quiden Jackson

31. Jason Harris

33. Johnny Wilson

34. Bijan Robinson

40. Demond Demas (A&M commit)

45. Drew Sanders (OU commit)

51. Bryce Young (USC commit)

58. RJ Mickens

64. Seth McGowan

65. EJ Smith

66. Chad Lindberg

72. Chris Thompson Jr.

73. Troy Omeire

80. Vernon Broughton

88. Clark Phillips III

93. Mookie Cooper

95. Haynes King

99. Alfred Collins

105. Dwight McGlothern Jr.

109. Hudson Card (Texas commit)

111. Jaylon Jones (A&M commit)

113. Lorando Johnson

127. Bryson Washington

153. Damieon George

156. Darion Green-Warren (OU commit)

161. Malik Hornsby

176. Jaxon Smith-Njigba (Ohio State commit)

182. Alec Bryant

187. James Sylvester

190. Loic Fouonji

203. Logan Parr (Texas commit)

207. Lathan Ransom

210. Josh White

219. Brennon Scott

220. Branard Wright

223. Akinola Ogunbiyi (A&M commit)

225. Jaylen Garth

233. Prince Dorbah

242. Princely Umanmielen

250. Courtland Ford (LSU commit)

254. Jake Majors (Texas commit)

255. DJ Graham (OU commit)

259. Smart Chibuzo (A&M commit)

272. Ty Jordan

286. Darius Snow

294. Michael Henderson

300. Ken Seals

Edited by Machinator

Absolutely great evaluation on Christian Jones by this staff.  Not only a great evaluation, great development by Yancy and company.  Jones was a soccer player that just continued to grow.  He has insane athleticism.  Now with the added weight and a year in the program, I expect him to get better with every practice. 

• Like 3

You know the minute aggy wins their first game against us, they will back out of the series to hold eternal scoreboard.  We really don’t need to play them.  If we make a play off run this year, they will beg us to play them so they can stay relevant.  Those assholes had a 10 year window to take the state and by pass us and the best they could muster was a cotton bowl win.  Now that we are surging back as a program, there is no need to play them.  I’d rather us play programs like usc, uga, LSU, bama like we’ve scheduled.  Fuck aggy.

Edited by victory88
  • Like 2

Just now, victory88 said:

If we make a play off run this year, they will beg us to play them so they can stay relevant.

They would never do this in one million years. 

Now that we are surging back as a program, there is no need to play them.  

There never was a "need" to play them. But it is probably going to eventually happen. The majority of the student bodies in both schools seem to want it and the administrations seem ready for it. But nobody is in a hurry, which probably says something.

36 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Good looking out. Time to start recording these to note the player movements. ESPN300 players of note:

Hide contents

1. Zach Evans

6. Justin Flowe

11. Jase McClellan (OU commit)

14. Sav'ell Smalls

15. Kendall Milton

19. Elias Ricks (LSU commit)

20. DJ Uiagalelei

24. Kelee Ringo

25. Ja'Quiden Jackson

31. Jason Harris

33. Johnny Wilson

34. Bijan Robinson

40. Demond Demas (A&M commit)

45. Drew Sanders (OU commit)

51. Bryce Young (USC commit)

64. Seth McGowan

65. EJ Smith

66. Chad Lindberg

72. Chris Thompson Jr.

80. Vernon Broughton

88. Clark Phillips III

93. Mookie Cooper

99. Alfred Collins

105 Dwight McGlothern Jr.

109. Hudson Card (Texas commit)

111. Jaylon Jones (A&M commit)

113. Lorando Johnson

127. Bryson Washington

153. Damieon George

156. Darion Green-Warren (OU commit)

161. Malik Hornsby

176. Jaxon Smith-Njigba (Ohio State commit)

182. Alec Bryant

187. James Sylvester

190. Loic Fouonji

203. Logan Parr (Texas commit)

206. Marvin Mims

207. Lathan Ransom

209. Joel Williams

210. Josh White

219. Brennon Scott

220. Branard Wright

225. Jaylen Garth

233. Prince Dorbah

242. Princely Umanmielen

250. Courtland Ford (LSU commit)

254. Jake Majors (Texas commit)

255. Davon Graham II (OU commit)

259. Smart Chibuzo (A&M commit)

272. Ty Jordan

286. Darius Snow

294. Michael Henderson

300. Ken Seals

So, no Omerie? 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/02/open-post-weekend-february-8th-10th/

Hide contents

Tom Herman NSD Press Conference
– CJ Vogel

The annual National Signing Day press conference took place this afternoon at 2:00 p.m. and Texas Head Coach Tom Herman dropped these tidbits regarding the 2019 class and some nuggets regarding the team’s offseason.

Patrick Hudson

Hudson is currently away from the team and will take time to “figure out what he wants to do moving forward. The possibility of returning to the program is certainly on the table.”

Hudson was one of the prized recruits from the 2016 recruiting class but has yet to be a big factor on the field. If you recall, Hudson was hospitalized in September and spent a week in the ICU for heat related cramps and dehydration.

Staff Switch-Up

Not much change in the coaching staff with Herman opting to keep the same personnel from last season, however some notable title changes:

Derek Warehime will be the Special Teams Coordinator.

Craig Naiver’s title on the staff will be co-defensive coordinator.

Finishing the 2019 Cycle

“Recruiting is heading into the right direction. We have the right players, we have the right coaches, and we have the right athletic director.”

Herman ended his press conference with that quote. He said he fully believes Texas is headed in the right direction.

***Javonne Shepherd did sign his LOI today and was announced by the Texas program as a member of the 2019 cycle.

Herman said Shepherd’s family was on campus last week and that was the only college visit his family went on during the entire recruiting process.

Herman also noted that Shepherd is 6’6″ and currently 318 pounds.

***Bru McCoy was announced as a member of the late signing day group despite being on campus for a week already.

Herman said he had a very “minimal” impact on McCoy’s recruitment but praised the relationships his staff was able to build with this cycle’s recruits.

“It is truly built on relationships. When they commit to the University of Texas, it is a decision in which they are not 99%, but they are almost 100% sure.”

Injury Updates

QB Sam Ehlinger – Has been limited in opening weeks of winter workouts.
WR Collin Johnson – Will miss a good majority of winter workouts following knee surgery.
DE Marqez Bimage- Has been cleared for contact and will be ready for the spring practice period.
Herman said all three should be ready to go for spring practice.

Spring Practice 

Key Dates:

Spring Practice begins March 11
Texas Pro-Day is March 27
Orange-White Game is scheduled for April 13 at 6:00 p.m.

2020 Legacy Recruit Offered
– Super K

Earlier this week, I mentioned 2020 OT, Tosh Baker saying…

Earlier this evening, Texas A&M offered a talented offensive tackle, Tosh Baker out of Pinnacle HS (AZ) who I happened to see play basketball last week.

I spoke with Baker and his family after the game and it turns out that Bakers father used to coach at SMU and his mother is a Texas grad.

At that time I asked them if they’d heard from Texas yet but they said they had not. Texas is looking very good with their in-state prospects but given the numbers they need, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them at least reach out to Baker.

It appears the silence from the Horns has been broken as Baker did pick up a Texas offer.

Baker’s father actually used to coach at the collegiate level including a stint at SMU and UTEP. His mother is Texas grad and originally from El Paso, Texas.

He recently took an unofficial visit to Notre Dame and in speaking to him it was clear they made quite the impression. Part of the appeal is clearly the academic standing of a program like Notre Dame. That should play in Texas’ favor.

I’ll go back through my notes from my conversation with Baker and his family for a full write-up.

I do expect Baker to visit Texas in the near future.

Quick Hitters | Team Notes
– Will Baizer

– Per a few sources in the program, when Spring practices start we are expecting redshirt freshman Christian Jones to be working with the 1s as the right tackle.

– Per the same sources, we will be expecting redshirt freshman Rafiti Ghirmai to be trying out the center position this Spring. If you’re familiar with Herb Hand, then this move to a matrix like depth chart shouldn’t surprise you. I don’t expect Ghirmai to stop working other positions, but with Elijah Rodriguez graduating, Texas will be pretty desperate for depth behind Shackelford.

– As we pointed out before, Derek Warehime will be taking special teams duties off of CraigNaivar’s hands, who now has Co-DC added to his title. We’ve talked about this in the past (and it seems obvious now), but once Todd Orlando leaves for a head coaching job, Craig Naivar would likely replace him as defensive coordinator.

– The more I head the more it seems like newcomer Jordan Whittington is blowing up so far during winter conditioning. According to one source, last week he led all skill players in “effort and weight lifting.”

Texas Offers | Ryan Watts & Jahari Rogers | Visit Update
– Super K

In my recent defensive backs’ notebook I mentioned the following…

Don’t be surprised to see Texas offer 2020 ATH Jahari Rogers (as a defensive back) out of Arlington HS. Also, keep an eye on Ethan Pouncey (Winter Park, FL), Ryan Watts (Little Elm), Joshua Eaton and others.

Two of those players have now been offered by Texas. The Horns extended offers to both Ryan Watts and Jahari Rogers.

Rogers plays quarterback but he’s being recruited as a defensive back. Very dynamic athlete. Schools like Oklahoma, Florida and Baylor are in the mix early. He’s a Sooner legacy and is originally from Louisiana. He moved to Texas after Katrina.

Ryan Watts is a big cornerback…to the tune of a legit 6’2. Watts tells me he’s already set up a visit to Texas for the junior day next weekend (February 16th).

For Watts Texas A&M, OU, Arkansas and Notre Dame seem to be the major players.

Christian Jones emerging at RT would be huge. If he could have a Cosmi-like rise to being our RT next year, we could have an extremely good and deep line if we kick Kerstetter and Okafor inside plus add a GT. The key to our offense taking a step forward next year is going to be an OL that can push the LOS. Last year’s line held their ground and didn’t get flat out beat often (Although Vahe still hasn’t seen a stunt he can figure out), but they almost never imposed their will as a unit. We need that to have better consistency and close out games. This was such a big improvement over the last ten years that it was tough to complain about, but we still have a ton of room for improvement in our OL play before we get to an OL unit that is playoff caliber.

Also, Tosh Baker is a 3 Star with a 5 star offer list. He probably has a higher ceiling than Garth or Lindberg and definitely higher than George. I’m not sure if the staff will push for him if we stay looking good for the first two, but I hope they at least keep him warm so we could move on him if Lindberg gets enamored with tree or Garth can’t ignore the piles of cash on his front door that have a heavy stitch of sheep manure.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1