Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

People like that are usually fans of other teams pretending to be someone else to troll. Twitter is like 80% fake accounts. 

And sometimes they're just pure morons saying "DURR HE DISRESPECTED THE TEAM I HAD TO TWEET AT HIM". Every fanbase has them.

Edited by texifornia

41 minutes ago, randygilman said:

Hope none of you is the one engaging in unabashed dipshittery with Princely U on Twitter.

meh, fuck princely.  he's already made up his mind about texas.  his getting into a twitter spat with a texas "fan" is just re-affirming what he already thinks about texas.

18 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

meh, fuck princely.  he's already made up his mind about texas.  his getting into a twitter spat with a texas "fan" is just re-affirming what he already thinks about texas.

Yeah, the twitter stuff is almost always confirmation bias. 

People like that are usually fans of other teams pretending to be someone else to troll. Twitter is like 80% fake accounts. 

If I see someone tweet at a recruit, I like to try to figure out which surly poster they are.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Aussie2 progressed throughout his freshman year, just like Aussie1 did. 

Since Herman won't call his kickers by name until they graduate, can Texas put Aussie2 on the Longhorn punter's jersey this year??  😆

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Aussie2 progressed throughout his freshman year, just like Aussie1 did. 

Since I missed the spring game because I was in shorts, drunk and cold and talking too much, how did he look? The way they did the kicking game was boring as fuck also. 

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Since I missed the spring game because I was in shorts, drunk and cold and talking too much, how did he look?

No useful data points.  No punt rush, and no kick coverage or return makes it pretty much irrelevant.  He didn't shank any, but it's not like he was punting in game conditions.

• Like 1

Old stuff at this point, but in my effort to track the non-247 rankings movement, here's the state of the Rivals250 after their most recent update:

1. DJ Uiagalelei (Clemson commit)

2. Justin Flowe

5. Elias Ricks (LSU commit)

6. Kelee Ringo

7. Sav'ell Smalls

9. Zach Evans

18. Demond Demas (A&M commit)

20. Kendall Milton

26. Bijan Robinson

35. Johnny Wilson

38. Jase McClellan (OU commit)

55. Mookie Cooper

56. Bryce Young (USC commit)

59. Clark Phillips III

60. Vernon Broughton

61. Quentin Johnston

66. Drew Sanders (Alabama commit)

68. RJ Mickens (Clemson commit)

69. Troy Omeire (A&M commit)

70. Lathan Ransom

72. Jaxon Smith-Njigba (Ohio State commit)

74. Josh White (LSU commit)

89. Hudson Card (Texas commit)

90. Prince Dorbah

94. Chad Lindberg

95. EJ Smith

107. Branard Wright

108. Muhsin Muhammad III (A&M commit)

115. Akinola Ogunbiyi (Georgia commit)

116. Jalen Kimber (Georgia commit)

118. Nate Anderson (OU commit)

119. Jaylon Jones (A&M commit)

120. Javian Hester

131. Bryson Washington

144. Jake Majors (Texas commit)

145. Garrett Hayes

147. Xavion Alford

148. Avery Helm (Florida commit)

154. Ja'Quinden Jackson (Texas commit)

165. Major Burns (LSU commit)

166. Dwight McGlothern

169. Courtland Ford

189. Jahari Rogers

192. Fadil Diggs (A&M commit)

194. Malik Hornsby (UNC commit)

196. James Sylvester (TCU commit)

201. Jerrin Thompson

208. Seth McGowan (OU commit)

210. Chris Thompson, Jr.

221. Darion Green-Warren

222. Lorando Johnson (LSU commit)

238. Jalin Conyers

245. Darius Snow (Michigan State commit)

Edited by Machinator

12 minutes ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

wermer.jpg&f=1

In shorts, drunk, and stupidly talking too much is no way to go to the spring game, Bevo.

Yeah, but my wife pissed me off because she didn't want to go and I think the girl next to me may have been attractive.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Jaden Hullaby rose 247 spots in the composite rankings, up to 582 now. 

Yeah the Rivals top 150 in-state finally updated the composite today ( doesn't look completely finished, but a lot of them are ).

Crawford is now #192 nationally ( .9265 composite ).

Collins #158 nationally ( .9369 ).

Ethan Pouncey #177 ( .9315 ).

55 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

That’s what I figured too with Bijan, Ransom, Broughton, and Dobrah as other possibilities to pop by the end of the month    

Getting those 7 would have us on the way to another stacked class to go with the previous 2.

I'd also add Johnston as a possibility.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

according to Rivals Texas is still a ways ahead of the competition for Broughton.

https://n.rivals.com/news/where-things-stand-with-the-top-uncommitted-prospects-in-texas

In case it's behind a paywall. Spiegelman is the Texas and Louisiana regional guy. 

Spoiler

ZACHARY

EVANS

The Buzz: Evans is keeping everything about his recruitment close to the vest. There was some Clemson buzz, but a visit never transpired and Dabo Swinney holds commitments from two Rivals250 backs. Evans named a final five of LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Oklahoma and Ohio State, but I have a hard time believing that Texas and Texas A&M are completely out of the picture. 

There's a mounting feeling that Evans will wind up playing college football in the SEC. His top options include Georgia, which produced two running backs who squared off in the Super Bowl; Alabama, which is still in search for a running back to add to its 2020 class; and LSU, which was Evans' first offer before his freshman season.

VERNON

BROUGHTON

The Buzz: Broughton has toyed with quite a few different schools and eventually settled on a top six of Texas, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Alabama, LSU and Arkansas. The Rivals100 defensive lineman already took his official visit to Texas and there’s no doubt that the Longhorns have a hefty lead in Broughton’s recruitment. Arkansas made a strong impression on the four-star defensive lineman and Ohio State will gets its chance to sit down with the family later in June. We’ll see if the out-of-state schools can make up ground, but Texas has a sizable advantage.

QUENTIN

JOHNSTON

The Buzz: Johnston takes the humble approach in his recruitment, which is why he rarely gets on social media or posts photos from visits. This is shaping up to be a Red River battle for the newly minted Rivals100 wide receiver, who resides less than an hour outside of Austin. The Texas coaches have made Johnston feel very comfortable and are in a good position to land the state’s second-ranked pass-catcher.

PRINCE

DORBAH

The Buzz: Dorbah has sliced his list of contenders to two — Texas and LSU — and a decision may be on the way. The Longhorns have been after the Highland Park four-star for some time, but LSU offered this spring and has since put the full-court press on the Dallas stud. Dorbah was at both team’s spring games and both staffs are actively pushing. Because of the long-lasting bond, Texas may hold a slight edge.

CHAD

LINDBERG

The Buzz: Several major powers are in the mix for the Rivals100 tackle, most notably Texas, Texas A&M, Stanford, Georgia and LSU. Lindberg is also keeping Northwestern and Clemson in the fold. Lindberg has raved about the game atmosphere in Tiger Stadium and his relationship with Georgia offensive line coach Sam Pittman, as well as the degree he could walk away with in Palo Alto. However, Texas is a hometown favorite that has shown Lindberg he’s a priority in 2020.

EJ

SMITH

The Buzz: Smith is another elite talent that doesn’t show his hand much. He’s taken spring visits to Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M, Ohio State and Stanford, but he’s in no rush to make a decision. He’s a Gators legacy, but Smith is interested in carving his own path. Stanford’s recent track record of utilizing versatile running backs has his attention and the Cardinal might be the team to beat.

BRYSON

WASHINGTON

The Buzz: Washington is another Texan considering both the Longhorns and Sooners, with a decision expected around or on Independence Day. For a while, Washington was leaning toward Texas — that was until the Sooners’ spring game, which may have swung momentum back in Lincoln Riley’s favor. Washington will make one last trip to Austin in June before a July commitment date, but until then, we’ll stick with Oklahoma.

GARRETT

HAYES

The Buzz: One of the more imposing offensive linemen still uncommitted in the state, Hayes is not active on social media at all. He has made a string of visits to Arkansas and Texas A&M and his commitment seems likely to eventually come down to one of these SEC West powers. For now, being the priority that he is in Aggieland, he seems likely to wind up there.

XAVION

ALFORD

The Buzz: Alford was able to narrow his impressive offer sheet down to 10, but upon further review, we’re looking at LSU, Texas, Michigan and Texas A&M as the favorites here. The four-star safety has visited LSU and Texas the most this spring. He said the offer from the Wolverines was an eye-opener and he has connections to Texas A&M that can’t be ignored. This could several different ways, but I like the Longhorns’ chances.

DWIGHT

MCGLOTHERN

The Buzz: In a surprising turn of events, McGlothern dropped the in-state schools from contention. In the meantime, he’s become a regular visitor at Georgia, which has emerged as the favorite for the four-star cornerback. Oregon, USC, LSU and Florida remain suitors, but they are all second behind the Dawgs, which are making a big mark in the Lone Star State this cycle.

JAHARI

ROGERS

The Buzz: Being an Oklahoma legacy, the Sooners were in a good spot early on with the new four-star. That momentum has since faded and opened up a door for Texas and Florida, and watch out for Notre Dame as well. Rogers has noted that he has a great bond with the Longhorns’ coaches, but don’t sleep on the Gators to make this a tight race down the stretch.

JERRIN

THOMPSON

The Buzz: “Bugg” is planning to announce his college decision on July 6 and is sorting through LSU, Notre Dame, TCU, Arkansas and Oklahoma State. The four-star safety has taken officials to TCU and Arkansas and Stillwater is next on the schedule. While he’s unsure when he’ll make it to LSU, the Tigers might be recruiting Thompson the hardest right now.

CHRIS

THOMPSON JR.

The Buzz: Thompson is a different sort of safety — one that opposing offensive coordinators need to spotlight before each play to try and avoid. Notre Dame is a team kicking the tires. Georgia and Auburn are also contenders, but they are all playing catch-up with the Longhorns. It doesn't hurt that his teammate and quarterback, Ja'Quinden Jackson, recently committed to Texas and will be in his ear through Signing Day.

JALIN

CONYERS

The Buzz: The state’s top tight end saw his recruitment take off this spring and he recently trimmed his list down to three: Oklahoma, Georgia and Ohio State. The Sooners are the regional favorite, but recent visits to Athens and Columbus certainly grabbed Conyers' attention. Ohio State is quietly emerging as a legitimate contender here, but it's hard to discount Oklahoma's track record of churning out Mackey Award winners while also being close to his home in Northwest Texas.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

according to Rivals Texas is still a ways ahead of the competition for Broughton.

https://n.rivals.com/news/where-things-stand-with-the-top-uncommitted-prospects-in-texas

Seriously, fuck Georgia.  But fuck aggy even more for inviting those assholes into Texas.  

I am fairly certain Eastbound & Down was written about them, with Kenny as SECx3 and Stevie playing the part of aggy.  

• Like 4

Open Mike: Live recruiting chat

How many commits this month?

I could see one or two more in June but they might push into July depending on timing for guys.

Next five commits, will more be on offense or defense?

Next five if I had to pick possibilities will be some group of Jahari Rogers, Kitan Crawford, Bijan Robinson, Chris Thompson, and maybe Prince Dorbah.

Do you still have confidence that we’ll land Chad Lindberg?

I think so. I think Texas has done everything they could and they've won the family over. Georgia concerns me a bit.

Possibility of Prince committing after OV?

His timetable keeps changing so we'll see. I think it depends on if Texas is the last OV.

Who has the better Longhorn career? Card or Jackson?

That's a tough question because I've been driving the Ja'Quinden Jackson bandwagon since I saw him during his sophomore year. I remember telling some other guys he was easily a top five guy in his class. I also feel like I'm higher on Card than a lot of people. I think Card is probably the safer bet.

Anything going on with justin flowe?

He told some reporters that he wants to visit in late June. We'll see if that happens.

When all is said and done, how many 5 stars do u think Texas ends up with? And Who?

It's a hard question to answer because rankings will change and new five-stars will emerge. I think it's possible they land 2-3 as is stands right now. I could see Bijan Robinson, maybe Johnny Wilson. They will take their shots with Ringo and McClellan.

Mike do you know if Ringo has plans to visit Texas anytime soon?

I know some sites reported he would be in on June 21st. The last few times I spoke with him he stressed that it is tentative as of now.

Isn’t Georgia full? They already have 3 tackles

You would think, but I've been told they are still pushing hard. They are the only team that would really worry me for Lindberg.

It would be nice to get some players to commit from the defensive side. Assuming Texas lands Thompson but misses on Alford, Ransom and Washington, what do you think they would do with that second safety spot for this class?

They'd probably have to re-rack and look at some other options with who they evaluated this spring. I don't see that happening though.

Lindberg is a OT

Wouldn't surprise me to see schools pitch him at guard.

Do u see Texas phasing out the traditional lb by selecting big dbs to play that spot? Basically are the days of the traditional linebacker gone or this will be more of a trend, hence the lack of numbers in real lb recruits Orlando has been after ?

I think it will depend year to year on what is available in their recruiting base. Ideally they'd like to find guys who fit the scheme and have experience at the position.

Does negative recruiting effect us the most or I’m over exaggerating due to the Texas who I follow the most. It just seem like god the 3rd year In a row we will have to rely on backup plans on dline.

I think it's an exaggeration, but it does matter in some cases. I think Drew Mehringer is having to answer some questions about a Bru McCoy situation he really had nothing to do with. I guess it depends on what the negative recruiting is.

Silly question, Would winning the Big 12 Championship this year help with Zach Evans?

I think you can move on from Zach.

Best guess on how our lb class will shake out?

I see Brennon Scott landing in it. Outside of him it's pretty foggy. Josh White is a guy who will probably OV to Texas, but he's already committed to LSU and will also see Alabama.

How much do kids really take offense to trolls on Twitter posing as other teams fans? I’m sure there are unfortunate exceptions for most fanbases, but it’s pretty obvious the vast majority of accounts talking trash are BS.

Very little, but there are some guys who say some pretty reckless things. It's quite sad really.

Who do You think is the one guy that if he was to commit, it would influence other players to give Texas a harder look?

I think Ja'Quinden Jackson was one of those guys. I think Chris Thompson could be another.

What’s the story with Kelvonte Dixon? what position will he play in college ?

I don't think there's much going on with Kelvontay right now. He will likely be a receiver in college.

Anything new with DL recruiting? Latest on Collins, Broughton, & Princely? Sorry if I keep asking but the DL is the most important position for recruiting this year.

It's kind of the same. Collins and Umanmielen were on campus last weekend for camp. It wouldn't surprise me if Broughton is back on campus this summer at some point. Jalen Logan-Redding is a guy who had a great camp and could be an option as well.

what’s the most likely scenario with this years running back class?

RIght now I think it's Bijan Robinson and an RB2 take. Could be Ty Jordan, Dominic Richardson, or someone they haven't even offered yet.

Quentin Johnston probably has the quietest recruitment out of our top targets. I don’t even know who we’re really recruiting against. Is it safe to say he’s a heavy lean right now?

I wouldn't say heavy lean. In fact, talking to college coaches around the region, no one has a read on him. He's super quiet in general. I think it's probably Texas, Baylor or Oklahoma, but I also think Oklahoma may be out of spots.

Is this as up and down a cycle as you can remember in terms of perception? Seems like any time some positive momentum gets rolling something negative follows...

I just think this is the way things are in recruiting unless you are Alabama or Clemson.

What’s more important to continue recruiting at high level? Winning or developing and kids actual seeing other kids getting drafted at Texas?

You have to have the right mix of all of those. Winning leads to recruiting success and development leads to winning and more recruiting success.

Does Bijan have any other visits set up besides a UCLA unofficial this weekend, an OSU official next weekend, and his visit here the 21st? Think he could shut it down after that visit? I know you’ve said that Jase is listening, but that’s all it is as of now. Is UT going after him hard at this point or just staying in his ear and hoping they can flip after the season? Are they still actively recruiting EJ Smith? Same with Ty Jordan? It feels like he wants in, but he’s kinda offended that he’s not a take and would rather just go somewhere like Oregon or USC where he’s more wanted. Do you think he’s even still in the picture? Do you think either of those guys will commit before Mookie? All 3 of them seem to have longer timelines (Smith, Jordan, Mookie).

I'm not sure if he has any others, but if all goes well I wouldn't be surprised to see him shut it down then. From what I know, Texas is after Jase pretty hard and they have been for most of the spring. I'm not sure there's much interest from EJ right now, so they've probably moved on. Jordan is tricky. I think he's a take at some point, but he may be more of a slot guy right now on the board. Mookie seems like he might carry thing out. Wouldn't surprise me to see Ty or EJ shut it down before. When the fall comes, recruiting becomes musical chairs.

What national position do you think Texas finishes at?

I'd say top 8 is probably my pick with a ceiling of top 5 and a floor of top 15.

Do you think Christian Gonzales could end up being a high riser, even surpassing Alford and Washington once he gets more tape? Dude looks like a freak and reminds me a lot of Tyler Owens with less straight line speed, more short area quickness.

Well, he's dedicated to playing corner and not safety. He's a guy I really like. Not the physical type that Owens is, but a really high end athlete. I think he has a huge rise in rankings this year.

Mike out of the 3 named how many do you think Texas lands? Vernon Broughton, Alfred Collins, Prince Dorbah.

I still think they get 2 of 3 on that D-line group.

Feeling good about Broughton?

Arkansas made things interesting, and his other visits will probably provide new twists and turns, but generally I do.

Is it really a perception among kids that the northeast is further away than California? It’s basically a 4 hour flight from the Northeast and a 3 hour flight from CA.

Texas just doesn't have much presence there. California kids like Austin because of the similar environment. Northeast kids don't have the same feel.

Is Jase really listening? I don’t think he been on campus but once this year

I think so, but he's calculating and he won't do anything rash. I think it's likely he takes an OV.

What’s your opinion on the OKC RB that we offered (Richardson)? His film looks exceptional. Great feet, and good burst.

Yeah, I evaluated him in the film room last week and think he's underrated at this point. Make sense TCU was all over him. I think he's a borderline four-star guy.

Has the staff gave up on Zach Evans? Is this kinda soon to give up on the number 1 recruit in Texas? What is going on for some many elite players to be turned off by Texas?

Not given up but certainly using their time in more productive ways. As for your last question, I know it hurts when a kid like Evans spurns Texas, but a Top 3 class in back to back years says they are still getting elites. I think we focus on the negatives and guys they didn't get more. It's simple. These kids never really remember Texas being a powerhouse. For most of their lives, Texas has been a joke.

What’s your gauge on Blackshire? You would think that we would have a little more momentum with him being at Duncanville with JQ and Thompson. It looks like he’s got his eyes set on the SEC, right?

He's not really a Duncanville guy in the sense that he just transferred there. Alabama and LSU have been all over him for a few years now, and it sounds like they are the favorites.

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Let's just pay the man and get it over with 

I think w Broughton it's more offering his sister in women's basketball and having some sort of semi-good faith "we'll get your little brother in too" kind of move. Hence Morris' hilariously transparent "offer" to the kid.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think w Broughton it's more offering his sister in women's basketball and having some sort of semi-good faith "we'll get your little brother in too" kind of move. Hence Morris' hilariously transparent "offer" to the kid.

Wasn't it Hudson who had a sister baylor offered a scholarship to help persuade him into committing to them as well?