The Craziest Scam Story I've Come Across

Storm the Field

Nothing devalues the Ivy League like meeting somebody with an Ivy League degree.

personal tangent:

When I was at a very large company leading a strategy and planning team our org hired a Harvard/Wharton guy, which is not unusual, most people were top school MBA.

So I took this guy to lunch on his first day, and he’s asking about my background, which at that time was 7 years with the company, in a role specifically created for me with wide latitude, following successful, progressive, fast promotion based on results delivered across a wide variety of functional roles. And a BA in Government from UT.

And he says (as near as I can remember) “no offense, but that’s interesting. I’m really proud to be here, but (again, no offense) with my background it’s demoralizing to think that I could be at the same level in the company as you.”

And I leaned forward and said, “none taken, I feel the same way.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Yes.  Business school profs often have some real world experience as analysts, bankers, accountants, etc, but it’s still pretty limited. 

Law school profs like the guy in the article often go to law school, then clerk for a judge for a short time and then enter academia. 

The old saw "those who cannot do, teach" originated in reference to law professors. Like most things, it's not wholly true, but you nailed law profs.  Usually very little real world experience, and often that real world experience itself is in a rarefied atmosphere, like supreme court or appellate practice that has little to do with facts, people, or real world problems.

And, to the nation's lasting detriment, supreme court justices more often resemble law professors than any other archetype of the legal profession.

Edited by TwiceHorn

31 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

personal tangent:

When I was at a very large company leading a strategy and planning team our org hired a Harvard/Wharton guy, which is not unusual, most people were top school MBA.

So I took this guy to lunch on his first day, and he’s asking about my background, which at that time was 7 years with the company, in a role specifically created for me with wide latitude, following successful, progressive, fast promotion based on results delivered across a wide variety of functional roles. And a BA in Government from UT.

epic humblebrag.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MrBig said:

I can’t believe I read the whole thing. I was waiting for more of a bigger reveal about the scam. It was a bit of a letdown.

Maybe it’s because I’ve dated a batshit woman before. For anyone who hasn’t, it could be shocking what they’re capable of. 

Well MrBig.....we're waiting????

Image result for we're waiting gif

Edited by Wally Fairway

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

personal tangent:

And he says (as near as I can remember) “no offense, but that’s interesting. I’m really proud to be here, but (again, no offense) with my background it’s demoralizing to think that I could be at the same level in the company as you.”

wide latitude

Haven’t read the article yet, but here’s a csb.  My 1L year, I checked Prof. Hay to the ice during a “friendly” pickup hockey game.  Didn’t realize he was a professor when I made that genius move.  Still... dude shouldn’t have come into my zone with his head down.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Haven’t read the article yet, but here’s a csb.  My 1L year, I checked Prof. Hay to the ice during a “friendly” pickup hockey game.  Didn’t realize he was a professor when I made that genius move.  Still... dude shouldn’t have come into my zone with his head down.

well, did you nut?

You should have claimed he knocked you up and moved into his house.
  • Like 1

Lol- Hay “leans left” as he becomes a warrior for transgender rights.

Zacks is an idiot for living with an ex-husband who is the biggest vagina in this whole story despite being the only “man” in this tale. Everybody associated with this comes off looking like a total dumbass.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

spacer.png

I thought the scam to take over the house was pretty good. And lol @ these academic dorks getting extorted by a 5. 

spacer.png

Kudos to Ms. Pia-Shuman, she's really good at picking her marks.

You gotta be pretty hard up to give her more than the time of day if she approaches you in a hardware store.

• Like 3

Or, you know, living with your ex wife in a non-sexual living arrangement.

Dumbest motherfucking man in Cambridge, or the smartest? I mean, if you're gonna burn down your life at least do it for a female that craves cock.

I've no use for personality disordered self pitying SJWs.

"Hay says Shuman once told him they’d targeted him for signing an open letter in late 2014 calling for more due process in Harvard’s Title IX proceedings. (Shuman denies ever saying this.) “I don’t know if that’s the real reason or something she made up later,” says Hay. In May 2018, Hay received a barrage of text messages from an unknown number: “Find a way to connect if you want a chance to take the last exit before HELL … Take my word, you ain’t seen nothing yet. I promise. Oh and as to your quest for motives? Don’t bother. I just really hate the patriarchy, that’s it.”

This is the portion that really should have been in the first paragraph (or the headline), and not buried in the last paragraph of a longwinded article.  Crazy bitches wanted attention.  This shit gets more attention than anything else right now.  Targeted an idiot with mental health issues.  They should be in prison.

24 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

So, it wasn't clear in the long form, but... was the lady being a millionaire heiress (and owning $$ property in Cambridge and Paris and NYC)  to some C list celebrity part of the scam or was that part real?

That was part of the scam to get the moron to believe she didn't need the money or anything else she was scamming from him. It's part of getting the mark to let down their guard which in this case does't seem like it was really needed. 

More fun with Title 9 kangaroo courts:

She Verbally Consented To Sex But Penn State Determined He Committed Sexual Assault Because He ‘Cajoled’ Her With Flattery

Spoiler

A new lawsuit filed against Pennsylvania State University includes several abnormalities, including the school’s decision to review the first hearing into a student’s alleged sexual misconduct and the decision to change the definition of consent in the middle of the disciplinary proceedings.

John Doe, as he is referred to in court documents reviewed by The Daily Wire, was accused of sexually assaulting a student referred to as Jane Roe at the end of January 2018. The two had met the previous spring since they were both part of the Schreyer’s Honors College. On January 26, 2018, the two met up again in a computer lab and started talking. They then started flirting and Jane put her number into John’s phone, according to the lawsuit, and texted herself: “I LOVE YOU.” The two continued to flirt for several days and Jane even spent time in John’s dorm room on his bed. She told him she didn’t want to be “friends with benefits.”

On January 27, 2018, Jane told John her roommate was out and gave him her dorm room number. John went to her room at 1 a.m. and the two talked and began kissing. John’s lawsuit claims that Jane’s initial accusation lined up with his own memory of the incident — he performed several sexual acts on her but stopped as soon as she asked and that she told him to stay in her room when she went to the bathroom and then provided him with a condom. The two engaged in sexual intercourse. After the encounter, Jane continued to flirt with John over text messages and allegedly told her friends she wanted to have sex with him again. The lawsuit claims Jane later changed her account of the sexual encounter to claim John physically forced into sex and that she tried to get away from him.

A hearing panel was convened and John was denied due process as many other accused students are — he was not allowed to call witnesses in his defense or cross-examine his accuser or the witnesses against him. Jane was allowed to present “new information” during her testimony that had not been included in the information John received about the investigation, even though the two were both told explicitly not to bring up “new information.” Jane’s new evidence was her explanations for why she sent flirtatious texts to John before and after their encounter and “explain unfavorable and contradictory information in the packet,” John’s lawsuit states.

John was found responsible and suspended for one year. Oddly, after the hearing, PSU’s Title IX Coordinator Chris Harris asked for a more detailed explanation of why John was found responsible, something that hadn’t been done before and was not outlined in the published disciplinary proceedings information.

The hearing panel’s chair told Harris that the “panel felt that the respondent’s continual flattery (some examples: “Haha nah you beautiful” followed by two wink emojis, then followed by “I wanna be both” and “You’re beautiful” and [“]I’m not that emotional, I could be both” after she clearly stated “Still not gonna f*** u, friend” followed by two squinting face with tongue emojis and her statement that [hooking up] “ruins friendships,[“] constitutes cajoling.”

The panel also found Jane more credible than John because she “was able to offer specific details as to the interaction which were consistent not only throughout the investigation, but also with the text message thread provided,” yet John couldn’t offer such details until he saw the allegations against him. Jane made her accusation against John six months after their encounter in January 2018 and the hearing did not occur until 2019.

While Doe was appealing the decision, he was informed by Danny Shaha, assistant vice president of student affairs, that the appeals process was on hold. He wrote to the appeals officer that the first hearing was under review as “the board may have misinterpreted the University’s definition and application of ‘coercion.’”

Shaha did not vacate the hearing panel’s finding since it didn’t meet the definition of coercion. Instead, he set up a new hearing. Prior to the second hearing, John was provided with a copy of the university’s new definition of consent, which included the word “cajoling” as part of the definition of coercion. The definition was not, at the time, published anywhere public by the school, but was used against him in the new hearing.

John is now suing to stop the ongoing disciplinary process, claiming due process violations and gender discrimination.

Edited by clapclapclap

On 7/24/2019 at 6:18 PM, CurlyDumps said:

spacer.png

I thought the scam to take over the house was pretty good. And lol @ these academic dorks getting extorted by a 5. 

spacer.png

But zat Franch ac-CENT!?! (Pro-tip: there are 30 million women in France with real French accents. Several of them are not crazed scammers.)

On 7/24/2019 at 4:18 PM, CurlyDumps said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

That ain't a 5 around these parts. 

12 hours ago, Rougarou said:

So, it wasn't clear in the long form, but... was the lady being a millionaire heiress (and owning $$ property in Cambridge and Paris and NYC)  to some C list celebrity part of the scam or was that part real?

She claims to be the daughter of Mort Shuman (he did have a daughter with her name) but I haven't read if that has been disproved or not. That guy wrote "Viva Las Vegas" for Elvis. 

On 7/24/2019 at 1:06 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

personal tangent:

During the financial meltdown, I was working as a fresh out grad school advisor at Merrill.  I’m an undergrad BA double in Physical Geography (heavy in GIS/Satellite Analysis) and Economics.    I have an MS Economics with emphasis in Finance/Trade/Financial Markets.  

So I was on a panel locally arguing with a Sr Trader at Goldman and some Hedge Fund junior lackeys.  These “smarter than everyone in the room” fuckers are trying to talk down to me and the people listening in on how this shot all blew up.  So I blurt out, “well, if companies like Goldman and places would quit hiring fucking engineers from Harvard that go to Wharton to build bullshit algorithms based strictly on mathematics, yet they fucking forget to actually know how to properly assess risk, then what the fuck is it all about anyway?”   

These too smart fuckers only know the mathematics, yet they didn’t figure out how to properly assess risk.   They thought they could “stat out” the worst case scenarios.  They failed to realize how horrific and exponential the mis-assignment of a constant would be because they thought they could “stat it away” with a higher n 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 6:47 PM, Storm the Field said:

This one's got everything:

A brilliant but embarrassingly naive Harvard Law Professor as the main victim. 

His ex-wife (who he still lived with platonically) and his children as collateral victims.

A ruthless and manipulative rich lesbian and her transsexual accomplice/lover as the culprits.

Title IX insanity.

https://www.thecut.com/2019/07/bruce-hay-paternity-trap-maria-pia-shuman-mischa-haider.html

Interesting story for sure, but if you really want batshit crazy, I’ve got a doozy for you.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/02/jamison-bachman-worst-roommate-ever.html

Alex Miller’s spare room had been on Craigslist for two weeks when, last March, she got the call she’d been waiting for. The man at the other end identified himself as Jed Creek. Creek was a lawyer from New York, but he had grown up just outside Philadelphia, only a few minutes’ drive from Miller’s apartment in the city’s well-to-do neighborhood of Chestnut Hill. Creek explained that he needed a place to stay while he tended to family matters — his mother was old and frail and his older brother was suffering from complications with hepatitis C, he said — and he’d been looking for a place without much luck. “I find Philadelphians to be very difficult,” he said. “A lot of flaky people.”

“I’m not flaky,” Miller, then 31, assured him, “so you’re off to a good start.”

(This story was a thread on the old site, so many of you will remember the Roommate From Hell.)

Edited by Vito Andolini

25 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Interesting story for sure, but if you really want batshit crazy, I’ve got a doozy for you.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/02/jamison-bachman-worst-roommate-ever.html

Alex Miller’s spare room had been on Craigslist for two weeks when, last March, she got the call she’d been waiting for. The man at the other end identified himself as Jed Creek. Creek was a lawyer from New York, but he had grown up just outside Philadelphia, only a few minutes’ drive from Miller’s apartment in the city’s well-to-do neighborhood of Chestnut Hill. Creek explained that he needed a place to stay while he tended to family matters — his mother was old and frail and his older brother was suffering from complications with hepatitis C, he said — and he’d been looking for a place without much luck. “I find Philadelphians to be very difficult,” he said. “A lot of flaky people.”

“I’m not flaky,” Miller, then 31, assured him, “so you’re off to a good start.”

(This story was a thread on the old site, so many of you will remember the Roommate From Hell.)

That story took about 2 hours to read at work one day (between phone calls and other ‘actual work’ efforts) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2019 at 10:41 AM, Trey3216 said:

During the financial meltdown, I was working as a fresh out grad school advisor at Merrill.  I’m an undergrad BA double in Physical Geography (heavy in GIS/Satellite Analysis) and Economics.    I have an MS Economics with emphasis in Finance/Trade/Financial Markets.  

So I was on a panel locally arguing with a Sr Trader at Goldman and some Hedge Fund junior lackeys.  These “smarter than everyone in the room” fuckers are trying to talk down to me and the people listening in on how this shot all blew up.  So I blurt out, “well, if companies like Goldman and places would quit hiring fucking engineers from Harvard that go to Wharton to build bullshit algorithms based strictly on mathematics, yet they fucking forget to actually know how to properly assess risk, then what the fuck is it all about anyway?”   

These too smart fuckers only know the mathematics, yet they didn’t figure out how to properly assess risk.   They thought they could “stat out” the worst case scenarios.  They failed to realize how horrific and exponential the mis-assignment of a constant would be because they thought they could “stat it away” with a higher n 

Engineers from Harvard is the real problem.  You want engineers from MIT, or Texas.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Engineers from Harvard is the real problem.  You want engineers from MIT, or Texas.

No doubt.  I'm more concerned with financial engineers that only understand math, but know nothing of theory and consequences of the math they inject into the system.  

• 1 year later...

the story gets weirder

https://reason.com/2020/08/06/the-most-gullible-man-in-cambridge-story-gets-even-stranger/

"The Most Gullible Man in Cambridge" Story Gets Even Stranger

The legally strange dimension: A claim that the magazine article author sexually harassed the subject of her article, apparently by "seek[ing] inappropriate personal and romantic intimacy with Plaintiff."

EUGENE VOLOKH |THE VOLOKH CONSPIRACY | 8.6.2020 7:49 PM

See Hay v. New York Media LLC, a breach of contract, libel, and sexual harassment lawsuit brought by Bruce Hay (representing himself) against New York Media LLC, author Kera Bolonik, and New York Media's lawyer David Korzenik. Here is an excerpt from the Complaint (you can read the underlying stories starting at p. 52😞

[4.] Plaintiff Bruce Hay is a professor at Harvard Law School, where he teaches Civil Procedure and related subjects. In 2018, he found himself in an escalating legal conflict with two women he had loved — Maria-Pia Shuman, a cisgender white woman, and Mischa Shuman, a transgender woman of color …, who are married to each other. Plaintiff had been very close to the Shumans until 2017, when a painful rupture — facilitated by individuals who had an interest in driving them apart and stoking conflict between them — made them bitter adverSaries in court and in Title IX proceedings at Harvard.

[5.] In July 2018, Plaintiff agreed to work with New York's editor, and with
Defendant Kera Bolonik on an article for the magazine about his dispute with the Shumans. The agreement was that the article, to be reported by Bolonik, would meet the high standards of professional investigative journalism long associated with the magazine….

[7.] Defendants did not produce the responsible piece of investigative journalism they promised, and made no real attempt to do so. Instead, they seized the opportunity to produce a sensational "True Crime" story, replete with vicious transphobic and misogynistic stereotypes, portraying the Shumans as scheming, deviant femmes fatales preying on a series of men, and Plaintiff as their credulous, hapless victim….

[13.] Had Defendants actually honored the agreement with Plaintiff, and produced the responsible piece of investigative journalism they had promised him, this would all have turned out very differently. A truly professional investigative work … would have revealed that far from being the predators portrayed in the article, the Shumans are the victims of a predatory campaign to demonize them for their gender nonconformity; that the "criminal" label affixed to them is the product of a prejudice-driven effort to weaponize law enforcement; and that they and Plaintiff are complex individuals who loved each other who find themselves locked in a conflict cynically orchestrated by others….

I can't speak to the merits of the breach of contract claim (or the related bad faith claim) or of the defamation claim, since that turns heavily on the facts. But I was struck by what seemed to me a highly novel sexual harassment claim:

[165.] For purposes of New York Human Rights Law, Plaintiff was a "consultant or providing services in the workplace pursuant to a contract" with New York Media. N.Y. Exec. L. § 296-d.

[166.] For purposes of New York Human Rights Law, Bolonik's sexual harassment of Plaintiff constituted "harassment because of [his] sex." N.Y. Exec. L. § 296.

I'm pretty skeptical that a source for a story (or a subject of a story) would be covered by New York sexual harassment law. I don't think sources and subjects of magazine stories would qualify as consultants or service providers.

And in any event it's hard for me to see how Bolonik's behavior in the Complaint would qualify as sexual harassment. The most relevant passage in the Complaint seems to be,

[92.] Bolonik's pursuit of intimacy with Plaintiff frequently crossed the line into sexual harassment. She contacted Plaintiff almost daily by telephone or text message, often outside of business hours, insinuating herself into his personal life and trying to draw him into hers. She shared inappropriate details about her sexual relationship with her domestic partner, her romantic history, and her sex life, and pressed him to provide equivalent information about himself. From early on Bolonik sought romantic intimacy with the Plaintiff. Early in their acquaintance she took Plaintiff to dinner with two of her personal friends, telling him afterward that her friends had "approved" him for her, hinting at the double meaning. During their early in-person encounters Bolonik detected Plaintiff's discomfort with her intimate advances and sought to reassure him that she was exclusively lesbian. She repeatedly told Plaintiff that she "cared" about him, and expressed concern that he did not return her feelings.

Even if this would qualify as sexual harassment in a typical work environment (and I'm not sure it would, especially in the absence of an indication from Hay that this was unwelcome), Bolonik was writing a story about Hay's personal life, including his sexual relationships. She was supposed to "press[] him to provide [personal] information about himself. And to do that, she might well want to share personal details and create a sense of "intimacy" in order to get him to open up to her.

Perhaps she was being manipulative, but it's hard to see such manipulation as sexual harassment, especially in the absence of any sexual propositions, attempts at sexual touching, and the like. (The Complaint does later say, "Bolonik treated Plaintiff as a researcher, fact-checker, and legal expert as well as a source and romantic partner," but I don't see any concrete evidence of anything "romantic" there.) It will be interesting to see what the court will do with this.

UPDATE: I originally erroneously stated that the quote in paragraph 165 was from a California law; my apologies for the error, and thanks to reader David Nieporent for setting me straight.

https://www.abajournal.com/news/article/harvard-law-prof-claims-reporter-sexually-harassed-him-twisted-facts-in-gullible-man-story

Harvard law prof claims reporter sexually harassed him, twisted facts in 'gullible man' story

BY DEBRA CASSENS WEISS

AUGUST 11, 2020, 1:51 PM CDT

Bruce Hay, a professor at Harvard Law School, has filed a lawsuit alleging that he was sexually harassed by a New York Magazine reporter who gained his confidence, manipulated him and portrayed him as a gullible victim in the article that she wrote.

Hay’s lawsuit, filed Aug. 5 in the Southern District of New York, claims that reporter Kera Bolonik portrayed him as a “credulous, hapless victim” of two women he was involved with, report Law360 and the Volokh Conspiracy.

Hay was embroiled in an “escalating legal conflict” with the women, “facilitated by individuals who had an interest in driving them apart,” according to Hay’s suit. Although he came to think that he was a victim of the women, Hay says, he later realized that he was mistaken.

Bolonik’s July 2019 article was titled, “The Most Gullible Man in Cambridge: A Harvard law professor who teaches a class on judgment wouldn’t seem like an obvious mark, would he?”

The story made Hay, a civil procedure professor, the object of ridicule and damaged his reputation, according to the complaint.

Hay says he was a source, a fact-checker and a legal consultant for the article during many months of reporting in which Bolonik “flouted the interpersonal boundaries normally observed by professional journalists.”

Hay’s suit says he qualifies as a consultant or a service provider to the magazine, giving him protections from sexual harassment under the New York Human Rights Law. He also alleges breach of an agreement to work with Bolonik on an article that “would meet the high standards of professional investigative journalism long associated” with New York Magazine.

The suit also alleges defamation and violation of the duty of good faith and fair dealing.

Hay claims that Bolonik “frequently crossed the line into sexual harassment” by contacting him almost daily and “insinuating herself into his personal life and trying to draw him into hers. She shared inappropriate details about her sexual relationship with her domestic partner, her romantic history and her sex life and pressed him to provide equivalent information about himself.”

Bolonik deflected Hay’s discomfort by reassuring him that she was “exclusively lesbian,” while telling him that she cared about him, the lawsuit says.

“Bolonik proceeded to use plaintiff’s trust and confidence to manipulate and exploit him and also to prevent him from seeing how badly he was being used by her and New York Media,” the suit says.

Hay contends that Bolonik’s article misrepresented the two women, Maria-Pia Shuman, a cisgender white woman, and her wife, Mischa Shuman, a transgender woman of color, “as scheming, deviant femmes fatales preying on a series of men,” including Hay.

Had the story honored the agreement with Hay, the suit says, it would have revealed that the women “are the victims of a predatory campaign to demonize them for their gender nonconformity.” The story would have revealed that a “criminal” label affixed to the women was “the product of a prejudice-driven effort to weaponize law enforcement,” according to the suit.

The article allegedly mischaracterized a July 2017 incident in which the two women had refused to leave the home that Hay shared with his ex-wife. Hay’s ex-wife had responded with a suit to eject the two women.

“Contrary to the articles’ defamatory assertions,” the suit says, the women “did not invade or steal plaintiff’s house, and they also did not move into it in order to extort him.”

More litigation followed, fueled in part by Hay’s mistaken belief that he was among a trail of victims falsely accused of fathering one of the women’s children. The women also sued Hay, and one of them, a Harvard doctoral student, filed a Title IX harassment complaint against him.

“Had they lived up to their agreement with plaintiff and the trust he placed in them, Bolonik and her editors would have greeted plaintiff’s account of the Shumans and their ‘trail of victims’ with a healthy dose of skepticism, despite the plaintiff’s sincere belief in the account,” the suit says.

“The resulting coverage would have revealed that plaintiff was tragically mistaken about the Shumans.”

Hay labels the article “a Fatal Attraction-inspired piece of pulp fiction masquerading as journalism.”

New York Magazine gave this statement to Law360: “New York Magazine was saddened to see the complaint filed by Bruce Hay. It should be clear to anyone who read the articles, or Mr. Hay’s complaint, that he was a willing source for the story and provided the reporter Kera Bolonik with supporting documents throughout the reporting process. We stand by the article and Kera, who has been writing and editing reported features and essays about LGBTQ and intersectional feminist issues for over 25 years.”

23 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

So essentially, he's not the most gullible man in Cambridge, but in America as these people have convinced him that they are good and he's not a victim and he should go after the magazine for making them all look bad?

I thought that I didn't understand women.....Jesus.  This guy has the least understanding of women of all men who have ever lived.  He is so clearly on the spectrum, seriously.

• Hook 'Em 1