Wives and the Stupid Shit They Say/Do

Spur08

10 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

In 1996 I went to visit a friend in Colorado. During the trip we came across a six pack of coors with a pull tab on it. I'm not sure what year they stopped making pull tabs but it had to be the late 70s. So conservatively call it 1980, making the beer at a minimum 16 years old at the time. I took one of the cans home with me and kept it in my fridge as a joke. Fast forward to 2005, I'm married with a kid but still have the can of coors in my fridge. MIL comes over to babysit so we can have date night. Next day I open the fridge and notice the beer is gone. We call over to make sure she was OK and apparently drinking a 25+ year old coors won't kill you, but it reportedly doesn't taste very good. 

I remember my dad pulling pop tops on the beach when I was 6 or 7 so they must have still been making them around 1983-1985.

EDIT: I must have been hallucinating as a kid or my dad had some 10 yo beers b/c Google says 1975.

Edited by Llogg

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

I remember my dad pulling pop tops on the beach when I was 6 or 7 so they must have still been making them around 1983-1985.

Still made them for sure 85 and possible 86.  Roommate in college built a beer can wall and had pull tab garland all around the place

3 minutes ago, davidg said:

Still made them for sure 85 and possible 86.  Roommate in college built a beer can wall and had pull tab garland all around the place

i graduated high school in 87 and we used to make earrings out of the pull tabs so they were definitely still available to some degree in 85-87 

I recall that in the late 70's or early 80's Coors had that stupid pop top that required you to push down on the top of the can with your finger or thumb in two different spots where the opening was attached to the lid.  If you did it correctly the opening piece of aluminum would be pushed into the can but the top would stay attached to the lid--thus helping control litter.  The problem was that people were cutting the hell out of their fingers/thumbs on the edge of the opening so they had to go back to the pull tabs until something like the current lever system was adopted.  

12 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

i may have grown up poor, but not Schaefer poor, bruh. Plus plenty of my dumbass friends were willing to wahoo beer, and you might as well go for the good stuff in that case  

Totally agree but you had to take what you could get at 16/17 years old.  I would hate to taste one of those damn things today.  

How about wives and the shit they don’t say or do? I am starting to get frustrated with my wife not speaking Portuguese to our daughters at least 90% of the time. I would say it’s maybe half the time. They will never learn enough from that and me speaking (though I am comfortable speaking it, I make mistakes). They speak English enough outside the house. It’s fucking annoying and worse that if I mention it she claims she does in fact speak it to them most of the time. Fuck.

/venting

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

How about wives and the shit they don’t say or do? I am starting to get frustrated with my wife not speaking Portuguese to our daughters at least 90% of the time. I would say it’s maybe half the time. They will never learn enough from that and me speaking (though I am comfortable speaking it, I make mistakes). They speak English enough outside the house. It’s fucking annoying and worse that if I mention it she claims she does in fact speak it to them most of the time. Fuck.

/venting

Are you moving to Portugal or Brazil? If not, why does it matter if your kids speak a language that doesn't do them any good in Texas?

Are you moving to Portugal or Brazil? If not, why does it matter if your kids speak a language that doesn't do them any good in Texas?

Really? First off, it certainly can help them in Texas. It helped me get a job in oil and gas. Plus, speaking multiple languages is never a bad thing. When we visit Brazil it would be great for them to be able to communicate with family. Maybe they decide to study a year there in college or do grad school? And as already mentioned, picking up other Romance languages after learning one is a lot easier. Why not take advantage of it now while their brains are like sponges. I resented that my dad only taught us kitchen Spanish and tiny bit of Portuguese. I took it upon myself to learn. He regrets it to this day.
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Really? First off, it certainly can help them in Texas. It helped me get a job in oil and gas. Plus, speaking multiple languages is never a bad thing. When we visit Brazil it would be great for them to be able to communicate with family. Maybe they decide to study a year there in college or do grad school? And as already mentioned, picking up other Romance languages after learning one is a lot easier. Why not take advantage of it now while their brains are like sponges. I resented that my dad only taught us kitchen Spanish and tiny bit of Portuguese. I took it upon myself to learn. He regrets it to this day.

Hey, your house, your rules. To me, it sounds like "Old Jewish dad yelling at kids to stop with that meshuggeneh English and speak Yiddish, damnit!"

• Like 1

Yep. My wife is brazilian. Shes very fluent in spanish and passable in french. I'm taking classes and had three years of spanish and it definitely helps.
  • Like 1

Yep. My wife is brazilian. Shes very fluent in spanish and passable in french. I'm taking classes and had three years of spanish and it definitely helps.

Where is she from? My wife is from a shitty town in the interior of São Paulo (not as shitty as where my grandmother was from). Met her when I lived in Campinas.