Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

1 minute ago, lemonandaturd said:

I don't get the preseason hype for aggy.  With that OL and breaking in a new QB, these beating Alabama dreams and playoff predictions seem pretty far fetched.  Their schedule is shitty, but not national championship shitty.  Coaster is ready to roll, I guess.  

They had a good season last year, return a lot, and people trust Jimbo as a coach. It's like the exact recipe for a high preseason ranking.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

I don't get the preseason hype for aggy.  With that OL and breaking in a new QB, these beating Alabama dreams and playoff predictions seem pretty far fetched.  Their schedule is shitty, but not national championship shitty.  Coaster is ready to roll, I guess.  

Clickety clack, MFer.

• Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

If they had a real schedule they’d most likely be in real trouble.

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

entire write-up here ::

Hide contents

Texas A&M is seeing a youth movement on the offensive line where three true freshmen have gotten reps with the first unit during fall camp: tackle Reuben Fatheree and interior players Bryce Foster and Matthew Wykoff. Fatheree is 6-feet-8 and also played basketball in high school so he's good feet for the position.

I generally think dudes that are 6'8" don't have "good feet" for football, basketball players or not.

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Yes. 

I think Henson is the best coach on that staff but it will take an incredible job by him if he has to have TR FR at LT and OC. 

Good thing they don't actually play a tough schedule. Gotta keep those FCS patsies padding the stats.

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

They have a handful of very good/elite players and a decent DC. They'd maybe be almost as good as they think they are if they had a QB, WRs, an experienced OL, and a decent offensive scheme. I'm guessing 8-4 or 9-3, probably 7-5 in the future iteration of the secsecsec.

Edited by Bevo14

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yes but I think they had 4 or 5 returning starters last year. This year they have one who’s moving to a new position and are apparently starting 2 true freshmen. 

I haven’t looked at much yet but they didn’t face the usual suspects on DL in the SEC last year. A second round pick from Bama and Vandy, both guys gave them fits. Not sure what they face this season but something to keep an eye on

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

In this case you are 100% correct. Some of the worst feet I've ever seen at tackle.

We can all recall The shitshow that was Tristan Nickelson. 6’8” just seems to be a height at which football players are too awkwardly built. 

8 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

We can all recall The shitshow that was Tristan Nickelson. 6’8” just seems to be a height at which football players are too awkwardly built. 

Just in last year's combine Trey Adams and Mekhi Becton were first team all conference guys at 6'8"/6'7". 

It's rarer because you're hitting the tail of the bell curve, but they can certainly play well.

10 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Just in last year's combine Trey Adams and Mekhi Becton were first team all conference guys at 6'8"/6'7". 

It's rarer because you're hitting the tail of the bell curve, but they can certainly play well.

A lot of the more athletic guys that tall go the basketball route, which I think shrinks the pool even further. The fact that Foster seemed to prefer basketball but ended up in football would seem to reinforce the footwork criticism...but Jonathon Ogden was one of the best LT of all time at 6'9", so it's certainly possible.

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

King named starter.  Also, just for laughs

Thank goodness. King focuses/specializes on football and really takes off. Just as I have predicted. - Perroni 

P.S. King running track really hurt his recruiting ranking. I just wanted to make sure that nobody forgot about that. 

5 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Which Haynes King are they getting?

image.png.9cd3539402a77a0aaca34e261b62403d.png

aggy has some very talented skill players and plays a dogshit schedule - but an inexperienced OL could cancel out all that talent.

I watched several of King's HS games his last two years. I said then that I thought he was a good game manager who could excel in A&M's system (before he was ever talking to them), but he is not a dynamic playmaker in and of himself. He was their football Point Guard as a junior, when he had terrific players around him. He was pretty pedestrian when he was asked to carry the offense. And I don't really believe he runs a 4.45. 

And I will add: once the green jersey comes off, King may end up as a grease spot. He's not exactly solidly built.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Haha 1

It is not gonna be about King or Calzada.  A&M has 3 good OL (Kenyon, Aki, & Robinson).  One good if he wasn't always hurt OL (Mathews).  The journeyman 6th year transfer from Tennessee (Johnson).  And 2 top prospects who probably aren't ready in Foster and Fatheree.  Foster is probably closer to ready physically, but I think in a couple years Fatheree is going to be excellent.  Do not get the guys who don't think he is a real talent.  Wycoff looks good for a true freshman as well.  But OL, especially LT & C is not where top end true freshmen excel.  Better hope for 2 unicorns, unlikely.

If Henson gets 5 of them ready, they will win 10 or 11 games.  If not, A&M will need at least 2 QB's.   

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Noog said:

It is not gonna be about King or Calzada.  A&M has 3 good OL (Kenyon, Aki, & Robinson).  One good if he wasn't always hurt OL (Mathews).  The journeyman 6th year transfer from Tennessee (Johnson).  And 2 top prospects who probably aren't ready in Foster and Fatheree.  Foster is probably closer to ready physically, but I think in a couple years Fatheree is going to be excellent.  Do not get the guys who don't think he is a real talent.  Wycoff looks good for a true freshman as well.  But OL, especially LT & C is not where top end true freshmen excel.  Better hope for 2 unicorns, unlikely.

If Henson gets 5 of them ready, they will win 10 or 11 games.  If not, A&M will need at least 2 QB's.   

Sure thing, aggy