Kirk Herbstreit Predicts Texas Will Make the Playoffs

Vic Mackey

21 hours ago, sushihorn said:

That's some serious revisionism there.  Herbstreit called Austin a "cesspool" in reaction to reports that Charlie Strong was about to be FIRED.

Exactly.  We were a cesspool because we weren't giving Strong a fair shot.  That was bullshit.

I don't hate KH but that comment was complete and utter bullshit.

Edited by UTEX90

"Losing their mind" and "obsessing" seems like exaggeration. The guy is predictably disparaged here since he called the entire Texas fan base a "cesspool" for wanting a very bad coach to be dismissed.
He used that word in that situation - not about the fan bases defending the rapists at Baylor or Penn St, not about the lunatics holding rallies at Ohio St when Urban caught some heat for knowingly employing a wife-beater, not about the psychopaths at Auburn that try to sign new coaches before firing current ones and openly paying Cam Newton hundreds of thousands of dollars...none of those obnoxious assholes were criticized; rather, he said it about Texas fans, who were enduring the 3rd consecutive losing season, wanting to replace the very well-compensated coach.  Again, the comment lacked perspective when literally all of this shit had happened in the few years leading up to the point at which he made that statement, other than the Ohio St thing, during which, oh by the way, he was among Urban's ardent supporters. (And again, I know he made the "cesspool" comment partially just to rile up the redneck morons in front of whom he was speaking.) 
I'm not losing my mind or obsessing over this...I think today is the only time I've ever commented on it...I just remember that he said it. And if he is jeered by Texas fans, well, that's pretty harmless and understandable, and yes, "typical" in that most fan bases would take exception to it. I think most of us are fully aware that it isn't life and death and I don't think anyone is losing sleep over it. 
Also - what do you have against holding a good grudge? While we're at it, fuck Aaron Rodgers and his whining about the Rose Bowl. Fuck Mark Mangino and his whining after he lost to Texas. Fuck the Pellinis too. 

Post of the day.

Reacting negatively when the twatwaffle's name comes up is NOT obsessing.  Obsessing would be sitting around and grinding on his stupid-ass comment 24/7 and making little blond, vacant-looking voodoo dolls and sticking pins in them.

My voodoo dolls are not blonde.

Hey Derka, love you man, love the passion...now kindly shut the fuck up.

Even IF what Herbstreit was talking about something broader than the current events at that moment surrounding Charlie (the final days of Mack, the hiring of Charlie blah blah blah wall of words) the environment here was no more toxic than any organized body.  Guess what? Whether it's a family, a team, a corporation etc...when you're losing there is going to be people upset and with conflicting views on direction.  When you pick a new direction (a new strategy, a new leader, a new product, whatever) THERE ARE GOING TO BE PEOPLE WHO DON'T AGREE WITH IT and may even voice as much.   That's actually what makes organizations strong ....a little healthy chaos in the midst of change with enough history and supporting culture to then move through that chaos and forward.  You show me an organization where everybody just blindly goes along to get along at almost all times and I'll show you aggy.

Also it's naive to say, "lol who cares what Herbstreit says".  I fucking hate it with a passion but the world we live in today sports a mouthpiece on the standard-bearer for college football news/reporting/journalism/let's make the wimmenz cry with this week's heartwarming story about this kid with Face AIDS has a hell of a lot of influence on perception of a football program.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

The use of the term cesspool was what was completely ridiculous and inappropriate. That’s a term to be used for Penn St, Baylor, Auburn, etc. if he would have said dysfunctional that would have been a more reasonable characterization. Eff Herbie.

• Like 1

Love how many posts this fucking thread has had and Derka is ignoring the fact that his comments also had more than a tacit implication of racism in Austin. We heard this shit for years amongst ourselves as posters here, and it was bullshit. Hearing it blared by Herbstreit on national tv, when the Take was patently untrue is bullshit. And damaging. And anyone dismissing it and apologizing for it after the fact is wrongheaded and should be beaten with reeds. 

Charlie was fried after 3 years because he is black, I mean Austin is a cesspool. 

The same things happened with Kyle Wittingham, and our recruiting opponents sure as shit told everyone listening we were racist. Herbstreit was flat wrong, and his shitty wrong take had huge implications we had to deal with behind the scenes. Fuck anyone apologizing for him or his shitty take. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Met Herbstreit and (and Musberger, briefly) at El Arroyo about 15 years ago.  He was talking about how much he loves Austin and was looking at buying a house out at Lake Travis.  Also talked about how Tex-Mex like El Arroyo is unknown in the midwest and how he loved to come to Austin just to eat there. Was drinking a margarita. Seemed like a nice guy to me.

Well this proves Herbstreit is an idiot and should never be listened to. El Arroyo sucks.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

"Losing their mind" and "obsessing" seems like exaggeration. The guy is predictably disparaged here since he called the entire Texas fan base a "cesspool" for wanting a very bad coach to be dismissed.

He used that word in that situation - not about the fan bases defending the rapists at Baylor or Penn St, not about the lunatics holding rallies at Ohio St when Urban caught some heat for knowingly employing a wife-beater, not about the psychopaths at Auburn that try to sign new coaches before firing current ones and openly paying Cam Newton hundreds of thousands of dollars...none of those obnoxious assholes were criticized; rather, he said it about Texas fans, who were enduring the 3rd consecutive losing season, wanting to replace the very well-compensated coach.  Again, the comment lacked perspective when literally all of this shit had happened in the few years leading up to the point at which he made that statement, other than the Ohio St thing, during which, oh by the way, he was among Urban's ardent supporters. (And again, I know he made the "cesspool" comment partially just to rile up the redneck morons in front of whom he was speaking.) 

I'm not losing my mind or obsessing over this...I think today is the only time I've ever commented on it...I just remember that he said it. And if he is jeered by Texas fans, well, that's pretty harmless and understandable, and yes, "typical" in that most fan bases would take exception to it. I think most of us are fully aware that it isn't life and death and I don't think anyone is losing sleep over it. 

Also - what do you have against holding a good grudge? While we're at it, fuck Aaron Rodgers and his whining about the Rose Bowl. Fuck Mark Mangino and his whining after he lost to Texas. Fuck the Pellinis too. 

DISNEY YOU HAVE A PROBLEM

DISNEY TO THE WHITE COURTESY TELEPHONE

DISNEY YOU HAVE A PROBLEM

21 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Right...in his rant, Texas had a "toxic environment" because it's fans wanted it's bad coaches replaced. 

By this definition, literally every major NCAA program would also be "toxic." Was LSU toxic when it got rid of Miles? Was Michigan toxic when it got rid of Rich Rod, then the next guy whose name I don't even remember? Is Tennessee toxic as they cycle through coaches? Was A&M toxic when it shit-canned Sumlin? We could go on for a looooong time here...so yeah, it was a strange comment that seemed to be driven by some other underlying resentment. 

That's what what was asinine about his comment, and that's why he's resented. 

yep and the main reason the comment was even said was because of where the show was located. 

Edited by UTEX_ME

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Love how many posts this fucking thread has had and Derka is ignoring the fact that his comments also had more than a tacit implication of racism in Austin. We heard this shit for years amongst ourselves as posters here, and it was bullshit. Hearing it blared by Herbstreit on national tv, when the Take was patently untrue is bullshit. And damaging. And anyone dismissing it and apologizing for it after the fact is wrongheaded and should be beaten with reeds. 

Charlie was fried after 3 years because he is black, I mean Austin is a cesspool. 

The same things happened with Kyle Wittingham, and our recruiting opponents sure as shit told everyone listening we were racist. Herbstreit was flat wrong, and his shitty wrong take had huge implications we had to deal with behind the scenes. Fuck anyone apologizing for him or his shitty take. 

Shit, I meant Tyrone Willingham. fuck. That’s ironic. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

i doubt Kirk Herbstreit hates Michigan, much less Texas. Kirk Herbstreit is a laid back, vanilla talking head on TV who couldn't be bothered to dedicate any of his time and energy to hating Texas for some fantastical reason invented in the head of a delusional, rabid college football fan who in fact does not have anything better to do than obsess over and hate some vanilla talking head on his TV. have fun raging out on Herbie with your boys here, but it's pretty laughable and pointless. 

big D, as someone who shares your minority opinion on a number of topics, it makes it easy for me to say that i think you should step back from this one..  herbstreit's veiled penis envy and poorly-disguised bitchassedness began with the fiesta bowl and has boiled under the surface for 13 years.  he hates us with a passion and this calling us for the 4th slot this year is udder bullshite in hopes we won't go hard without lube on gameday.  that's all it is.

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

big D, as someone who shares your minority opinion on a number of topics, it makes it easy for me to say that i think you should step back from this one..  herbstreit's veiled penis envy and poorly-disguised bitchassedness began with the fiesta bowl and has boiled under the surface for 13 years.  he hates us with a passion and this calling us for the 4th slot this year is udder bullshite in hopes we won't go hard without lube on gameday.  that's all it is.

The dude isn't an Ohio State homer. He was basically run out of Ohio for not being sufficiently pro-Ohio State on TV for his fellow alumni. 

What kind of sign in response could you actually get on TV? What would be too far and removed?

HEY KIRK - THE ONLY CESSPOOL WAS YOUR MOM'S WOMB

Is that too far? I mean there's no profanity or anything. But it's certainly not a nice sign.

And now that I think about it considering Herbstreit and Bohls, we should probably have a sign that says WHY DO ALL KIRKS SUCK?

Herbie is an irelevant TV dude. The bigger question is Texas making the show.  Going undefeated is hard in the Big12 , so i'm hoping an 11-1 Texas gets in over a perfect tosu . Won't happen, but Keep Hope Alive.  I have no respect for the B1G whatsoever. 

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

What kind of sign in response could you actually get on TV? What would be too far and removed?

Is that too far? I mean there's no profanity or anything. But it's certainly not a nice sign.

And now that I think about it considering Herbstreit and Bohls, we should probably have a sign that says WHY DO ALL KIRKS SUCK?

The womb sign is too far and will get pulled. You can say something derogatory but it has to be seen as innocuous. 

Something like “Herbstreit can’t swim” or “Herbstreit is contagious” 

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

It depends on who is doing the screening. I would try to obscure anything particularly critical. At one of our previous Gameday appearances, Cleve Bryant took a “Pam Ward is Ray Finkle” sign from me. 

8 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

The use of the term cesspool was what was completely ridiculous and inappropriate. That’s a term to be used for Penn St, Baylor, Auburn, etc. if he would have said dysfunctional that would have been a more reasonable characterization. Eff Herbie.

I 1000% agree with this. But it's why I'm not angry at him. He's a corporate shill who has lost his basic sense of morailty. Do you really expect corporate media to hold the rapists accountable when they are in the business of making $$$$ of of them? They aren't rapists, they're buddies and business partners. ESPN itself is famously a cesspool. 

The reason you start to think it's OK to sling Ekrich sausage is because you stopped caring about other people and only care about yourself. You've decided there's nothing authentic in life, so get mine while I can. 

If you look closely, you can see the defeat in his eyes.

This is a forum for anonymous (mostly) adults to spend hours reading and arguing about games played by strangers on account of an affiliation with one of the many schools we’ve attended in our lives. Looking for truly objective and logical bases for what we post would seem an exercise in futility. With that as the background, his arguably hypocritical (hello, Coach UM), cowardly (shout down the sips from CS), and inaccurate (nothing could be more purifying than cleaning our athletic, mainly football, leadership out at that time) statement, make him an obvious candidate for mockery and grudges.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Something like 

Welcome to the cesspool Kirk

The water’s warm

I have a few other unrelated ideas I have to save. My son is dying to get on TV with one. 

On 8/24/2019 at 6:20 PM, Goo Punch said:

lol @sushihorn thanks for the neg rep followed by that verbose, cluttered reply replete with unnecessary bolded letters for emphasis. did you by chance post as "derka" on the old site? your child like posting style aside, I'll say again that Herbie wasn't wrong. it *was* a toxic environment in and around the program. a lot of people thought we never should have fired Mack to begin with, a bunch of BMD's never supported Charlie from the jump, he was beloved by his younger players but couldn't reach many of the older players, and on top of it his teams sucked. and all of that was *after* Mack's final years which is when the toxicity began in the first place. by the time Charlie was about to be fired the toxic environment was going on 5-6 years at least. the program was all kinds of fucked off , and nobody seemed to be the same page, from the AD, to the coaches, the team, and the fans, again keeping in mind that many around the country thought Mack never should have been fired in the first place, and who thought we were again jumping the gun after just 3 years with Charlie. not to mention our impressive arrest record during that time. 

so, for you to talk about revisionist history and then act like you don't remember how fucked off the environment was around here during that time is hilarious. and your insistence that Herbie hates Texas or that he insulted you personally is childlike as well. i doubt Kirk Herbstreit hates Michigan, much less Texas. Kirk Herbstreit is a laid back, vanilla talking head on TV who couldn't be bothered to dedicate any of his time and energy to hating Texas for some fantastical reason invented in the head of a delusional, rabid college football fan who in fact does not have anything better to do than obsess over and hate some vanilla talking head on his TV. have fun raging out on Herbie with your boys here, but it's pretty laughable and pointless. 

Maybe he gave you the neg rep for being TLDR.

Paragraphs are not a bad thing.

Herbie's a jerk.  Plain and simple.

2 hours ago, NowThis said:

Herbie is an irelevant TV dude. The bigger question is Texas making the show.  Going undefeated is hard in the Big12 , so i'm hoping an 11-1 Texas gets in over a perfect tosu . Won't happen, but Keep Hope Alive.  I have no respect for the B1G whatsoever. 

Given the lack of depth as a result of our laziest, worst coach ever (which Herbie couldn't figure out), it will require a lot of luck on the injury front.

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

The womb sign is too far and will get pulled. You can say something derogatory but it has to be seen as innocuous. 

Something like “Herbstreit can’t swim” or “Herbstreit is contagious” 

How about "KHK5H"?

Herbie is merely a pandering bandwagon-jumping douche, but he doesn't hate Texas.  He was merely playing to the crowd in College Station at a time when Texas was an extremely easy target.  I seriously doubt he was subtly trying to intimate that Texas is a racist school while hosting a show from a Klan rally.  If Texas had hired Saban or Urban instead of Strong and immediately returned to the elite, Herbie would have been in the front of the line exalting Texas' decision to fire Mack.        

Ohio State fans actually believe that Herbstreit is overly critical of the Buckeyes in an effort to appear objective regarding his alma mater.  It's not exactly a state secret that Herbie attributes his decision to move from Columbus to Nashville to overzealous Buckeye fans instead of as a result of his wife's insistence to remove him from his various mistresses.  

Every fanbase of the historically elite programs believes their program is unfairly targeted by one talking head or another.  Herbie and others talk shit about every program in the country that is enduring a rough patch.  It is entirely predictable that he is jumping back on the Texas jock at the first opportunity and he will be the first to slam Alabama and Clemson when their reigns end.