Kirk Herbstreit Predicts Texas Will Make the Playoffs

Vic Mackey

34 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

That's some serious revisionism there.  Herbstreit called Austin a "cesspool" in reaction to reports that Charlie Strong was about to be FIRED.

That doesn’t dispute anything Derka said although he needs to learn about capitalization.  

Just now, SDG said:

That doesn’t dispute anything Derka said although he needs to learn about capitalization.  

Texas fans were angry that Charlie was screwing up and wanted him gone for his poor performance.  Herbstreit called Austin a cesspool because Texas fans were going to get their wish and be happy.

IOW Texas fans were upset that Strong was running the program into the ground.  Herbie was pissed that the Reign of Error was over.

2 hours ago, sushihorn said:

That's some serious revisionism there.  Herbstreit called Austin a "cesspool" in reaction to reports that Charlie Strong was about to be FIRED.

it was a toxic environment in austin, and that's all he was saying. what you're saying right now goes beyond revisionist history; you're straight up rewriting it. 

• Fuck You 7

13 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

it was a toxic environment in austin, and that's all he was saying. what you're saying right now goes beyond revisionist history; you're straight up rewriting it. 

Try reading what Herbstreit actually said before throwing out ridiculous accusations.  It's pretty clear that Herbie hated Texas and was looking for any reason to dump on the program - even going so far as to claim the Strong FIRING was part of a pattern that went back to Mack. 

Anybody with a brain could see that whatever toxicity existed was the result of the way the coaches comported themselves in 2013 and 2016.  As proven by early Mack and now Herman, there is nothing wrong or toxic about the PROGRAM itself as KH lying claimed.  The last bolded statement is obvious BS and even worse in hindsight but whatever.  It's particularly rich coming from a scumbag Buckeye.

"When I say released, you’re going to get released from being in the cesspool of Austin, Texas and the attitude that comes being with the head coach at Texas. To me, you chased away Mack Brown after nine years getting double-digit wins and you’re going to chase away Charlie Strong and whoever the next guy is you’re going to chase away,”   ---KHK5H

Edited by sushihorn

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

you haven't seen anyone lose their mind? the people here act like he punted a PTSD therapy dog off a bridge when he made the cesspool comment and they haven't stopped obsessing over it since. every time his name comes up people still act like that. and what was and is so stupid is that 95% of the people here were themselves trashing Strong and the program at the time. then Herbie does the same thing and everyone loses their minds. typical.

Reacting negatively when the twatwaffle's name comes up is NOT obsessing.  Obsessing would be sitting around and grinding on his stupid-ass comment 24/7 and making little blond, vacant-looking voodoo dolls and sticking pins in them.

Edited by TrashMaster G

lol @sushihorn thanks for the neg rep followed by that verbose, cluttered reply replete with unnecessary bolded letters for emphasis. did you by chance post as "derka" on the old site? your child like posting style aside, I'll say again that Herbie wasn't wrong. it *was* a toxic environment in and around the program. a lot of people thought we never should have fired Mack to begin with, a bunch of BMD's never supported Charlie from the jump, he was beloved by his younger players but couldn't reach many of the older players, and on top of it his teams sucked. and all of that was *after* Mack's final years which is when the toxicity began in the first place. by the time Charlie was about to be fired the toxic environment was going on 5-6 years at least. the program was all kinds of fucked off , and nobody seemed to be the same page, from the AD, to the coaches, the team, and the fans, again keeping in mind that many around the country thought Mack never should have been fired in the first place, and who thought we were again jumping the gun after just 3 years with Charlie. not to mention our impressive arrest record during that time. 

so, for you to talk about revisionist history and then act like you don't remember how fucked off the environment was around here during that time is hilarious. and your insistence that Herbie hates Texas or that he insulted you personally is childlike as well. i doubt Kirk Herbstreit hates Michigan, much less Texas. Kirk Herbstreit is a laid back, vanilla talking head on TV who couldn't be bothered to dedicate any of his time and energy to hating Texas for some fantastical reason invented in the head of a delusional, rabid college football fan who in fact does not have anything better to do than obsess over and hate some vanilla talking head on his TV. have fun raging out on Herbie with your boys here, but it's pretty laughable and pointless. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Try reading what Herbstreit actually said before throwing out ridiculous accusations.  It's pretty clear that Herbie hated Texas and was looking for any reason to dump on the program - even going so far as to claim the Strong FIRING was part of a pattern that went back to Mack. 

Right...in his rant, Texas had a "toxic environment" because it's fans wanted it's bad coaches replaced. 

By this definition, literally every major NCAA program would also be "toxic." Was LSU toxic when it got rid of Miles? Was Michigan toxic when it got rid of Rich Rod, then the next guy whose name I don't even remember? Is Tennessee toxic as they cycle through coaches? Was A&M toxic when it shit-canned Sumlin? We could go on for a looooong time here...so yeah, it was a strange comment that seemed to be driven by some other underlying resentment. 

That's what what was asinine about his comment, and that's why he's resented. 

• Like 2

also, who cares? seriously? who can be bothered to care so passionately about what some talking head said about your program several years ago? every time Herbstreit's name comes up he gets the Bob Stoops/Barry Switzer treatment around here because of that comment. it's comical. get over it already. 

edit: just look at the post above mine. Herbie is "resented" by Texas fans (a fact which other Texas fans are trying to deny in this thread) because of his comments. even if his comments were 100% about people wanting Charlie fired after 3 years, who cares? what a small, petty thing to obsess over/resent someone for. you're over here arguing the semantics of why he said what he said like it justifies the obsession. and don't tell me that it isn't obsession. because this thread is about him being very high on Texas and nobody is even talking about that at all, because you're all still so chapped over some comment from like five years ago. move on.

Edited by Goo Punch

12 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

lol @sushihorn thanks for the neg rep followed by that verbose, cluttered, reply replete with unnecessary bolded letters for emphasis. did you by chance post as "derka" on the old site? your child like posting style aside, I'll say again that Herbie wasn't wrong. it *was* a toxic environment in and around the program. a lot of people thought we never should have fired Mack to begin with, a bunch of BMD's never supported Charlie from the jump, he was beloved by his younger players but couldn't reach many of the older players, and on top of it his teams sucked. and all of that was *after* Mack's final years which is when the toxicity began in the first place. by the time Charlie was about to be fired the toxic environment was going on 5-6 years at least. the program was all kinds of fucked off , and nobody seemed to be the same page, from the AD, to the coaches, the team, and the fans, again keeping in mind that many around the country thought Mack never should have been fired in the first place, and who thought we were again jumping the gun after just 3 years with Charlie. not to mention our impressive arrest record during that time. 

so, for you to talk about revisionist history and then act like you don't remember how ducked off the environment was around here during that time is hilarious. and your insistence that Herbie hates Texas or that he insulted you personally is childlike as well. i doubt Kirk Herbstreit hates Michigan, much less Texas. Kirk Herbstreit is a laid back, vanilla talking head on TV who couldn't be bothered to dedicate any of his time and energy to hating Texas for some fantastical reason invented in the head of a delusional, rabid college football fan who in fact does not have anything better to do than obsess over and hate some vanilla talking head on his TV. have fun raging out on Herbie with your boys here, but it's pretty laughable and pointless. 

Herbstreit clearly said Charlie would get away from the toxic environment by being fired.  What you and Herbie either don't realize or refuse to acknowledge is that Strong WAS the toxic environment.  Austin is just fine thank you very much.  Also odd that you should call anyone verbose after that stream of consciousness ramble but whatever.

Edited by sushihorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

You're pathetic.  Herbstreit clearly said Charlie would get away from the toxic environment by being fired.  What you and Herbie either don't realize or refuse to acknowledge is that Strong WAS the toxic environment.  Austin is just fine thank you very much.  Also odd that you should call anyone verbose after that stream of consciousness ramble but whatever.

hey genius, did you not see that i compared you to me in the very post you quoted? literally asking if you were me wasn't clear enough?  but yeah, really "odd" that i would say that.

and no, Charlie was not the toxicity. as i said in the post you quoted but didn't understand, the toxicity around this program started well before charlie got here and it bled over into his tenure as well. you either have amnesia or are straight up delusional to deny that. the environment around the program post-colt was all kinds of fucked off for years, during both mack's final seasons and charlie's tenure in Austin. to deny that is lunacy.

Edited by Goo Punch

15 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

also, who cares? seriously? who can be bothered to care so passionately about what some talking head said about your program several years ago? every time Herbstreit's name comes up he gets the Bob Stoops/Barry Switzer treatment around here because of that comment. it's comical. get over it already. 

edit: just look at the post above mine. Herbie is "resented" by Texas fans (a fact which other Texas fans are trying to deny in this thread) because of his comments. even if his comments were 100% about people wanting Charlie's fired after 3 years, who cares? what a petty thing to obsess over/resent someone for. 

I mean, yeah...on the list of things I actually care about, Kirk Herbstreit doesn't register at all. I wouldn't say that I was actually "upset" about anything he said. It's not like I refuse to listen to him if he's calling a game. I really don't care. 

My point is that he made a dumb comment, intended to denigrate a large group of people for acting the way literally everyone acts when they have a terrible coach. I am merely criticizing him for making that comment, and for applying his logic only to Texas and not the dozens of other schools that he should also include if he thinks that wanting to fire bad coaches is "toxic." 

Maybe it's petty to write "fuck that guy" on a message board...but I mean, we're petty a lot around here, so...

Edited by Hank Chinaski

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

hey genius, did you not see that i compared you to me in the very post you quoted? but yeah, really "odd" that i would say that. and no, Charlie was not the toxicity. as i said in the post you quoted but didn't understand, the toxicity around this program started well before charlie's got here and it bled over into his tenure as well. you either have amnesia or are straight up delusional to deny that. the environment around that program post-colt was all kinds of fucked off, during both mack's final years and charlie's tenure. 

Maybe I don't agree with the false narrative you're peddling.  Did you bother to think of that?  Or did you think mere assertion must make it true because it comes from your own ineffable self?

Edited by sushihorn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

you haven't seen anyone lose their mind? the people here act like he punted a PTSD therapy dog off a bridge when he made the cesspool comment and they haven't stopped obsessing over it since. every time his name comes up people still act like that. and what was and is so stupid is that 95% of the people here were themselves trashing Strong and the program at the time. then Herbie does the same thing and everyone loses their minds. typical.

If Ryan Day has three straight losing seasons with absolutely zero improvement or any tangible momentum that would suggest competent results in the future, we know two things are true:

1) Ohio St fans would absolutely be calling for his head. I would even venture to say it would be worse than us because Ohio St hasn’t endured a decade of failure.

2) There’s about a 0% chance Herbie would call Ohio St a cesspool

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

If Ryan Day has three straight losing seasons with absolutely zero improvement or any tangible momentum that would suggest competent results in the future, we know two things are true:

1) Ohio St fans would absolutely be calling for his head. I would even venture to say it would be worse than us because Ohio St hasn’t endured a decade of failure.

100% this.

14 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Why do people think Ohio St is gonna make the playoffs? 

agree with this since they lost haskins and others but have a new hotshot qb.   However, to overcome the doubt, who on the schedule can beat them? Big10 is awful, a once great football conference that will never be a top 2 again - ACC is better now at football.   a mediocre tOSU could do 12-0. 

6 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

the next person to address a single thing i've said will be the first. all of you continue to run with this absurd idea that KH referred to our program as a cesspool solely because we were going to fire Charlie Strong earlier than he thought we should. it's just not true. The football program at Texas was a fucked up, toxic, negative environment for i don't even know how many years during the end of Mack's tenure/all of Charlie's tenure, and that's a fact. let's go down the list:

Arrests; players being kicked off the team left and right; locker room schisms of every kind (older vs younger players, newer coaches vs older coaches, players vs coaches), the national and BMD perception that we shouldn't have fired Mack which only led to more toxicity once the guy who replaced him failed; Red McCombs; "maybe a coordinator"; Kris Boyd tweeting bullshit about his own team at half time of the OU game; records for defensive ineptitude being broken year in and year out; older players don't like Strong; younger players don't like the older players; our own players negatively recruiting against us on HS kids' official visits; Case McCoy; Taysom Hill; Steve fucking Patterson. This program *was* a cesspool, and Kirk Herbstreit *did not* make his comment solely based on his idea that we were firing Charlie Strong too early. I don't care if you refuse to remember all of that, it's the truth. 

now please, go ahead and address *any* of this make the case that our program wasn't a toxic, blood soaked, nightmarish hellscape for 5+ years post-Colt McCoy, pre- Tom Herman. refresh my memory on how lovely everything was around here during that time, please and thank you. 

Edited by Goo Punch

6 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

also, to address your actual post (not that i haven't already), the two situations are not analogous for a whole bunch of fairly obvious reasons. did tOSU controversially fire Urban Meyer in a move that was unpopular among BMDs and national media? was there a bunch of controversy surrounding the hiring of Ryan Day, including a super famous and wealthy donor just absolutely shitting all over the guy before he even arrived? is tOSU coming off a string of years like the late-Brown era? is Day the first black coach at a southern school that was known for being less than progressive with its football program? did KH go to Texas? do I need to keep listing the differences in the two situations or is that enough? 

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That's a completely unnecessary exercise because that's not what Herbstreit was talking about. He quite specifically explained what he was talking about in the full quote. 

well then it's like i said earlier- who cares? who cares so much about this one opinion from this guy and why he had it? A)he was right, intentionally or not- we do have a penchant for having far too lofty expectations as a fan base, and Austin was totally toxic when it came to any and every coach we had around that time. and B)is it *still* a reason to derail every single thread that mentions him? i say no. 

17 minutes ago, Lone Star Horn said:

Jesus titty fucking Christ, you really do not know when to just let something go. 

I generally do more lurking than posting, however enough is enough, congrats on being the first poster to be put on my ignore list. 

you should have higher standards for yourself, because you're melting down over a conversation. 

On 8/24/2019 at 8:42 AM, The Earl of Texas said:

Our future is so bright even this idiot can see it coming

I study nuclear science
I love my classes
I got a crazy teacher, he wears dark glasses
Things are going great, and they're only getting better

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

"Losing their mind" and "obsessing" seems like exaggeration. The guy is predictably disparaged here since he called the entire Texas fan base a "cesspool" for wanting a very bad coach to be dismissed.

He used that word in that situation - not about the fan bases defending the rapists at Baylor or Penn St, not about the lunatics holding rallies at Ohio St when Urban caught some heat for knowingly employing a wife-beater, not about the psychopaths at Auburn that try to sign new coaches before firing current ones and openly paying Cam Newton hundreds of thousands of dollars...none of those obnoxious assholes were criticized; rather, he said it about Texas fans, who were enduring the 3rd consecutive losing season, wanting to replace the very well-compensated coach.  Again, the comment lacked perspective when literally all of this shit had happened in the few years leading up to the point at which he made that statement, other than the Ohio St thing, during which, oh by the way, he was among Urban's ardent supporters. (And again, I know he made the "cesspool" comment partially just to rile up the redneck morons in front of whom he was speaking.) 

I'm not losing my mind or obsessing over this...I think today is the only time I've ever commented on it...I just remember that he said it. And if he is jeered by Texas fans, well, that's pretty harmless and understandable, and yes, "typical" in that most fan bases would take exception to it. I think most of us are fully aware that it isn't life and death and I don't think anyone is losing sleep over it. 

Also - what do you have against holding a good grudge? While we're at it, fuck Aaron Rodgers and his whining about the Rose Bowl. Fuck Mark Mangino and his whining after he lost to Texas. Fuck the Pellinis too. 

Maybe it's petty to write "fuck that guy" on a message board...but I mean, we're petty a lot around here, so...

And Fuck Art Briles. Never forget Fuck Art Briles. And Baylor. Yeah, Fuck Baylor. And holy shit ... Fuck aggy,

(great post btw. all out of rep for a while. hit you up later.)

21 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

18 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

17 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

lol @sushihorn thanks for the neg rep followed by that verbose, cluttered reply replete with unnecessary bolded letters for emphasis. did you by chance post as "derka" on the old site? your child like posting style aside, I'll say again that Herbie wasn't wrong. it *was* a toxic environment in and around the program. a lot of people thought we never should have fired Mack to begin with, a bunch of BMD's never supported Charlie from the jump, he was beloved by his younger players but couldn't reach many of the older players, and on top of it his teams sucked. and all of that was *after* Mack's final years which is when the toxicity began in the first place. by the time Charlie was about to be fired the toxic environment was going on 5-6 years at least. the program was all kinds of fucked off , and nobody seemed to be the same page, from the AD, to the coaches, the team, and the fans, again keeping in mind that many around the country thought Mack never should have been fired in the first place, and who thought we were again jumping the gun after just 3 years with Charlie. not to mention our impressive arrest record during that time. 

so, for you to talk about revisionist history and then act like you don't remember how fucked off the environment was around here during that time is hilarious. and your insistence that Herbie hates Texas or that he insulted you personally is childlike as well. i doubt Kirk Herbstreit hates Michigan, much less Texas. Kirk Herbstreit is a laid back, vanilla talking head on TV who couldn't be bothered to dedicate any of his time and energy to hating Texas for some fantastical reason invented in the head of a delusional, rabid college football fan who in fact does not have anything better to do than obsess over and hate some vanilla talking head on his TV. have fun raging out on Herbie with your boys here, but it's pretty laughable and pointless. 

edit: just look at the post above mine. Herbie is "resented" by Texas fans (a fact which other Texas fans are trying to deny in this thread) because of his comments. even if his comments were 100% about people wanting Charlie fired after 3 years, who cares? what a small, petty thing to obsess over/resent someone for. you're over here arguing the semantics of why he said what he said like it justifies the obsession. and don't tell me that it isn't obsession. because this thread is about him being very high on Texas and nobody is even talking about that at all, because you're all still so chapped over some comment from like five years ago. move on.

hey genius, did you not see that i compared you to me in the very post you quoted? literally asking if you were me wasn't clear enough?  but yeah, really "odd" that i would say that.

and no, Charlie was not the toxicity. as i said in the post you quoted but didn't understand, the toxicity around this program started well before charlie got here and it bled over into his tenure as well. you either have amnesia or are straight up delusional to deny that. the environment around the program post-colt was all kinds of fucked off for years, during both mack's final seasons and charlie's tenure in Austin. to deny that is lunacy.

9 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

the next person to address a single thing i've said will be the first. all of you continue to run with this absurd idea that KH referred to our program as a cesspool solely because we were going to fire Charlie Strong earlier than he thought we should. it's just not true. The football program at Texas was a fucked up, toxic, negative environment for i don't even know how many years during the end of Mack's tenure/all of Charlie's tenure, and that's a fact. let's go down the list:

Arrests; players being kicked off the team left and right; locker room schisms of every kind (older vs younger players, newer coaches vs older coaches, players vs coaches), the national and BMD perception that we shouldn't have fired Mack which only led to more toxicity once the guy who replaced him failed; Red McCombs; "maybe a coordinator"; Kris Boyd tweeting bullshit about his own team at half time of the OU game; records for defensive ineptitude being broken year in and year out; older players don't like Strong; younger players don't like the older players; our own players negatively recruiting against us on HS kids' official visits; Case McCoy; Taysom Hill; Steve fucking Patterson. This program *was* a cesspool, and Kirk Herbstreit *did not* make his comment solely based on his idea that we were firing Charlie Strong too early. I don't care if you refuse to remember all of that, it's the truth. 

now please, go ahead and address *any* of this make the case that our program wasn't a toxic, blood soaked, nightmarish hellscape for 5+ years post-Colt McCoy, pre- Tom Herman. refresh my memory on how lovely everything was around here during that time, please and thank you. 

also, to address your actual post (not that i haven't already), the two situations are not analogous for a whole bunch of fairly obvious reasons. did tOSU controversially fire Urban Meyer in a move that was unpopular among BMDs and national media? was there a bunch of controversy surrounding the hiring of Ryan Day, including a super famous and wealthy donor just absolutely shitting all over the guy before he even arrived? is tOSU coming off a string of years like the late-Brown era? is Day the first black coach at a southern school that was known for being less than progressive with its football program? did KH go to Texas? do I need to keep listing the differences in the two situations or is that enough? 

well then it's like i said earlier- who cares? who cares so much about this one opinion from this guy and why he had it? A)he was right, intentionally or not- we do have a penchant for having far too lofty expectations as a fan base, and Austin was totally toxic when it came to any and every coach we had around that time. and B)is it *still* a reason to derail every single thread that mentions him? i say no. 

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

you should have higher standards for yourself, because you're melting down over a conversation. 

The meltdown here is you, dipshit. I’m normally fine with your takes and the manic idiocy that comes with them when someone deigns to challenge a take of yours, but this thread is ... not your finest moment. You had a terrible take that was patently incorrect in its context. You were then called into account for it. You then vacillated between doggedly claiming your correctness and moving the issue over to “who cares what a talking head said years ago, losers”. Wrong position on both counts. Factually, you’ve been incorrect the whole way in regard to the nature of the Herbstreit comment. Subjectively, your position is laughable that folks shouldn’t hold a grudge. 

I’ll hold a fucking grudge as long as I want. I will harangue a fuckhead like Herbstreit in public at an airport in front of his wife and kids. And then I’ll go to sleep that night with a smile on my face. Fuck him, and fuck your talking head apologism too. Is it petty? Maybe. Who says we need to be above that? He was buddies with the Stoops brothers and took every chance to talk OU up and Texas down and it hurt us at times. So it isn’t even petty. Did the same regarding the Pellinis at Nebraska. He does the same now with Clemson whenever he can because he’s buddies with Venables and his kids go there. He’s not objective or dignified, and he doesn’t need your defense.

• Like 5

I thought this website had documented the cesspool ad nauseum. The waste and dysfunction in Belmont. The interference of big money donors into football operations. The anti-Longhorn media circus. The interference of fans doing stuff like renting airplanes (which I loved, but you don't get this in Stillwater).

Plenty of reason to say what he said. Herbstreit's hot take was wrong, but he's paid to tell it which means he gets it wrong sometimes. It just doesn't register for me. It was pejorative, but it wasn't without a significant basis in reality.

He sucks because he's a bad broadcaster, not because he got his hot take wrong a couple of years ago. He's a douchebag who has outlived his usefulness, he hosts one of the worst shows on television, and he sells ekrich sausage. Just watch his older stuff, he was good once but he's terrible now.

Met Herbstreit and (and Musberger, briefly) at El Arroyo about 15 years ago.  He was talking about how much he loves Austin and was looking at buying a house out at Lake Travis.  Also talked about how Tex-Mex like El Arroyo is unknown in the midwest and how he loved to come to Austin just to eat there. Was drinking a margarita. Seemed like a nice guy to me.

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Met Herbstreit and (and Musberger, briefly) at El Arroyo about 15 years ago.  He was talking about how much he loves Austin and was looking at buying a house out at Lake Travis.  Also talked about how Tex-Mex like El Arroyo is unknown in the midwest and how he loved to come to Austin just to eat there. Was drinking a margarita. Seemed like a nice guy to me.

CSB, and all. OTOH, some folks have a fond memory of Switzer behaving in a manner quite similar to actual humans, so...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1