Kirk Herbstreit Predicts Texas Will Make the Playoffs

Vic Mackey

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

i like Herbie, always have. the way people lost their minds over the cesspool comment is pretty funny. makes more sense to me to make fun of him for picking A&M to win the Big XII in 2005.

Agreed on both counts.  He had a hard-on for A&M for several years, and the fact that he is now picking Texas to make the playoffs tells me we'll likely go 8-4.

• Like 2

If we're good enough to make the playoff, I'd love to play Alabama for the chance to wipe out their only win against us in the entire series. What a game that would be.

I'd also be hoping that Ohio State got lucky against Clemson, to be honest.

We're either there or almost there. It's fun again! Yay!

Hook 'Em! 

4 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Why do people think Ohio St is gonna make the playoffs? 

Because talking heads follow a formula. Herbstreit picked three teams that are big names with high levels of recent success. Then he picked one more that would be a surprise to make it for most people. But he got to use a big name there, too, so win-win. 

And the cesspool comment was horrible journalism. Add the fact that his alma mater was harboring a woman beating cretin who ordered sex toys to his office yet never made a similar comment and it adds to the unprofessionalism. I never got mad about it but laughing it off is equally silly. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Because taking heads follow a formula. Herbstreit picked three teams that are big names with high levels of recent success. Then he picked one more that would be a surprise to make it for most people. But he got to use a big name there, too, so win-win. 

And the cesspool comment was horrible journalism. Add the fact that his alma mater was harboring a woman beating cretin who ordered sex toys to his officer yet never made a similar comment and it adds to the unprofessionalism. I never got mad about it but laughing it off is equally silly. 

Couldn’t agree more. We were in a bad spot as a program but there were plenty of programs that were more “cesspool” worthy than us. Hell UNC and Baylor at the time were more deserving of that label. 

Remember he was is aggyland in front of a bunch of red faced screaming farmers. He was playing to the crowd for sure.

7 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Might be a reach but I think Herby is sucking our dick so he doesn’t get relentlessly booed when CGD comes to Austin week 2. When he does get booed he’ll push the Texas fans are assholes narrative.

He'd be right. We are begrudging assholes. 

You know what I love most about this board? We stick to our opinions. We don't change our thoughts just because some douchenoggle in NYC thinks highly of our team in a particular year, and then hate him the next when he predicts 2 losses. Those of you that hate KH still hate when he picks us to go to the playoff. This separates us from just about all other message boards I've seen, including other UT ones.

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

The same reason some of the so called brains in the sports media world think Michigan will make it.  Or Norte Dame makes the top ten AGAIN year in and year out and only be humiliated in what was then a BCS bowl or the now college playoffs.  

Got  to throw some bones to the audience and like it or not, the Big 10/Midwest media market is a sizable part of the TV market.

This isn't good. Past Texas teams have suffered from being too high on themselves and thinking they're better than they are. What we need is more Mayfield's and Bradshaw's taking shots calling Sam and the team overhyped. Could really use a few more insults coming their way over the next two weeks to get them really pissed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Probably because ND is losing 2-3 games, and the Pac 12 is closer to a G5 conference than a P5 conference. Herbsteit is also a honk to his alma mater. Remember this was the guy that spent the entire 4Q of their blowout loss to Purdue making excuses and trying to set the narrative that Ohio State was still a playoff team.

He made the "cesspool" comment about Texas fans because they (we) wanted to move on from the worst coach in program history. Meanwhile, Baylor, a few miles up the road, was immersed in a widespread and persistent scandal in which coaches and university officials were actively endorsing their systemic rape culture, and Baylor fans were shouting about how they were the real victims. 
But we wanted to pay our football coach $15 million to go coach somewhere else, as pretty much any fan base in the country would have wanted at that point - and we were the "cesspool." His lack of perspective there was egregious. 
It was a stupid comment that he wouldn't have made if he were anywhere other than College Station that morning, I get it. But it was still fucking stupid, and I don't blame anyone for giving him shit next time he's in Austin. 
(I stopped watching Gameday years ago, so I don't really give a shit about Herbstreit one way or another.)

Absolutely. And you’ll never hear him say, “You know what? Those Texas fans that wanted Strong gone then — they were right!”

4 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I haven’t seen anyone lose their mind. People responded very predictably and were rightfully incensed about the bullshit commentary. I used to like him and respect his opinion and I’ll never look at him the same again. 

you haven't seen anyone lose their mind? the people here act like he punted a PTSD therapy dog off a bridge when he made the cesspool comment and they haven't stopped obsessing over it since. every time his name comes up people still act like that. and what was and is so stupid is that 95% of the people here were themselves trashing Strong and the program at the time. then Herbie does the same thing and everyone loses their minds. typical.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

you haven't seen anyone lose their mind? the people here act like he punted a PTSD therapy dog off a bridge when he made the cesspool comment and they haven't stopped obsessing over it since. every time his name comes up people still act like that. and what was and is so stupid is that 95% of the people here were themselves trashing Strong and the program at the time. then Herbie does the same thing and everyone loses their minds. typical.

That's some serious revisionism there.  Herbstreit called Austin a "cesspool" in reaction to reports that Charlie Strong was about to be FIRED.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

This isn't good. Past Texas teams have suffered from being too high on themselves and thinking they're better than they are. What we need is more Mayfield's and Bradshaw's taking shots calling Sam and the team overhyped. Could really use a few more insults coming their way over the next two weeks to get them really pissed. 

Relax, MD isn't on the schedule this year.