Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

18 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I am not sure what you want us to do with the stumblefucks if murder is off the table.  They could be banished to the football board, but they might prefer death.

If we're talking revolving doors, it looks like the Football Board is bleeding more and more here, not the reverse. ATexanAbroad hop & skipping out front, fresh off his magnum opi on the Directors Cup thread should have told ya. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

https://theathletic.com/3376527/2022/06/21/arch-manning-football-recruiting-texas/

Reveal hidden contents

By Sam Khan Jr.
52m ago

Arch Manning already had a busy June. The No. 1 prospect in the 2023 class took official visits to Alabama, Georgia and Texas and participated in a seven-on-seven camp at LSU.

The quarterback’s visit to Austin, Texas, over the weekend is likely his last for a while. The summer dead period, which runs through July 24, begins Monday, and Nelson Stewart, his coach at Isidore Newman School in New Orleans, told The Athletic that the coming weeks are a time for him to get with his family and figure out where he is in the recruiting process.

“There’s no impulsivity to him,” Stewart said. “There’s no rush. When he knows, he knows.

“Obviously he’s been going through this for seven years. We’re in the fourth quarter. It’s just about attention to detail and supporting him.”

The Longhorns, who have maintained a strong position in his recruitment, did well on Manning’s visit, as they have during the multiple stops he has made on the Forty Acres prior. “He had a great trip,” Stewart said. He said the same of the visits to Alabama and Georgia. Manning, the son of Cooper and nephew of Peyton and Eli Manning, has been asking questions, getting a feel for the campuses and continuing to develop relationships with the coaches.

The last part is where head coach Steve Sarkisian and quarterbacks coach A.J. Milwee have excelled. Stewart praised their accessibility and joked that he talks to Milwee more than his wife. The pair talk to Manning weekly. Stewart called Sarkisian “authentic.”

“There are real relationships,” Stewart said. “Texas is in this because they work tirelessly.”

Though communication has been consistent, Stewart noted that Texas has done a good job of giving Manning space to work through his decision. The same applied to Manning’s teammate, 2023 tight end recruit Will Randle, who also spent the weekend on campus and committed to the Longhorns on Sunday morning.

Randle camped at Texas a year ago. Stewart said Sarkisian called him from Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium while Randle was working out last June, gushing about how impressed he was. Randle’s commitment on Sunday created buzz because of his relationship with Manning, but their decisions are separate. Stewart said Randle, a three-star, “fell in love,” with Texas.

At Newman, Randle plays tight end, H-back, edge rusher and on every phase of special teams. “He’s the best total player we’ve ever had,” Stewart said. Stewart credited Sarkisian, Milwee and tight ends and special teams coach Jeff Banks for their work recruiting Randle, who also considered Virginia, Alabama, Tulane and LSU.

As for Manning, Texas is willing to wait as long as necessary. He’s the only quarterback Texas has offered, and Sarkisian said last month that he won’t panic if a player’s decision isn’t swift. Alabama took a commitment last month from four-star quarterback Eli Holstein, but Stewart said that “Arch is gonna compete wherever he goes” and that he doesn’t believe that such a development will make or break the recruitment. Georgia is still in heavy pursuit.

While Manning’s exact timeline is still unclear, the process that began when Manning was in sixth grade is nearing its end. Stewart said there have been no major developments and any new information will come from Manning himself. As he mulls his decision, Manning will continue playing summer seven-on-seven, getting ready for the annual Manning Passing Academy and locking in on his high school football season.

“When he’s ready, he’s ready,” Stewart said. “This is his private time. We’re just trying to give him the distance to formulate his own thoughts.

"We’re not through yet, but getting closer.”

Not much new in this article, but I did love the quote about Texas working tirelessly. I really get the feeling that our staff will not be outworked by anybody. If we lose out on any given recruit, it will not be because we didn't try hard enough. I don't think you could say that about Charlie Strong, Tom Herman, or even Mack Brown.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Not much new in this article, but I did love the quote about Texas working tirelessly. I really get the feeling that our staff will not be outworked by anybody. If we lose out on any given recruit, it will not be because we didn't try hard enough. I don't think you could say that about Charlie Strong, Tom Herman, or even Mack Brown.

Interesting that some of the more national publications are hinting at a summer timeline. It had only been the 995ers until the last couple of days. 

27 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

https://theathletic.com/3376527/2022/06/21/arch-manning-football-recruiting-texas/

Reveal hidden contents

By Sam Khan Jr.
52m ago

Arch Manning already had a busy June. The No. 1 prospect in the 2023 class took official visits to Alabama, Georgia and Texas and participated in a seven-on-seven camp at LSU.

The quarterback’s visit to Austin, Texas, over the weekend is likely his last for a while. The summer dead period, which runs through July 24, begins Monday, and Nelson Stewart, his coach at Isidore Newman School in New Orleans, told The Athletic that the coming weeks are a time for him to get with his family and figure out where he is in the recruiting process.

“There’s no impulsivity to him,” Stewart said. “There’s no rush. When he knows, he knows.

“Obviously he’s been going through this for seven years. We’re in the fourth quarter. It’s just about attention to detail and supporting him.”

The Longhorns, who have maintained a strong position in his recruitment, did well on Manning’s visit, as they have during the multiple stops he has made on the Forty Acres prior. “He had a great trip,” Stewart said. He said the same of the visits to Alabama and Georgia. Manning, the son of Cooper and nephew of Peyton and Eli Manning, has been asking questions, getting a feel for the campuses and continuing to develop relationships with the coaches.

The last part is where head coach Steve Sarkisian and quarterbacks coach A.J. Milwee have excelled. Stewart praised their accessibility and joked that he talks to Milwee more than his wife. The pair talk to Manning weekly. Stewart called Sarkisian “authentic.”

“There are real relationships,” Stewart said. “Texas is in this because they work tirelessly.”

Though communication has been consistent, Stewart noted that Texas has done a good job of giving Manning space to work through his decision. The same applied to Manning’s teammate, 2023 tight end recruit Will Randle, who also spent the weekend on campus and committed to the Longhorns on Sunday morning.

Randle camped at Texas a year ago. Stewart said Sarkisian called him from Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium while Randle was working out last June, gushing about how impressed he was. Randle’s commitment on Sunday created buzz because of his relationship with Manning, but their decisions are separate. Stewart said Randle, a three-star, “fell in love,” with Texas.

At Newman, Randle plays tight end, H-back, edge rusher and on every phase of special teams. “He’s the best total player we’ve ever had,” Stewart said. Stewart credited Sarkisian, Milwee and tight ends and special teams coach Jeff Banks for their work recruiting Randle, who also considered Virginia, Alabama, Tulane and LSU.

As for Manning, Texas is willing to wait as long as necessary. He’s the only quarterback Texas has offered, and Sarkisian said last month that he won’t panic if a player’s decision isn’t swift. Alabama took a commitment last month from four-star quarterback Eli Holstein, but Stewart said that “Arch is gonna compete wherever he goes” and that he doesn’t believe that such a development will make or break the recruitment. Georgia is still in heavy pursuit.

While Manning’s exact timeline is still unclear, the process that began when Manning was in sixth grade is nearing its end. Stewart said there have been no major developments and any new information will come from Manning himself. As he mulls his decision, Manning will continue playing summer seven-on-seven, getting ready for the annual Manning Passing Academy and locking in on his high school football season.

“When he’s ready, he’s ready,” Stewart said. “This is his private time. We’re just trying to give him the distance to formulate his own thoughts.

"We’re not through yet, but getting closer.”

These are almost verbatim quotes from what 247 published. Either the athletic is lazy and lying, or Coach Nelson carries around bulleted response notecards. Honestly, it's probably the latter. 

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I think he announces within the next two weeks.. at this camp or July4th weekend..

I don't think you're wrong about the overall timeline of announcing, but I would be shocked if he did it at the MPA. Pulling spotlight from others hasn't been his MO to this point and I would doubt that changes now. 

2 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Anyone have an asian fetish? Just trying to mix things up for recruiting luck.

image.thumb.png.5461d993679d0f8e0770c3f3f83a3b02.png

Okay, back to recruiting…. I’m gonna need a name to recruit more imagines of this wholesome young lady. 

Fuck the Brocks…. unless they really want to come be depth behind the new freshman. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Wells:

Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff EDGE Billy Walton might be committed to Oklahoma State, but he's returning to Austin for an official visit this weekend.

"I hope to see the culture," said Walton. "I'm hoping to see why they want me (in Austin) and where I can fit. I’m looking to see what they have for me as a player and a college student. They are down-to-earth, real dudes. They don’t sugar coat anything.”

Wells also mentioned in the thread that Walton’s mom and Malik Muhammad’s dad are brother/sister. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Anyone have an asian fetish? Just trying to mix things up for recruiting luck.

image.thumb.png.5461d993679d0f8e0770c3f3f83a3b02.png

feels like the Surly recruiting board deserves this version of a hot asian..

but at the end of the day, life kicks us in the nuts and this shows up instead :( 

image.png.3ab445fa8b01fe359539e37d26b6aeed.png

Edited by Thiefery
recruiting board
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

For reference, here's the OV list this weekend  (taking out Heard and Purchase, who I believe 247 said wasn't visiting anymore)

June 24-26

Ryan Niblett, WR, Aldine (Texas) Eisenhower – Texas commit

Kyle Parker, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy: I know Penn State was/is involved. Wonder if we could turn up the heat with Pettaway looking uncertain and Greathouse extending his timeline

Andre Cojoe, OL. Mansfield (Texas) Summit: TCU or Texas

Connor Stroh, OL, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland: A&M or Texas (still not convinced A&M is pushing. Flood seems to have done a lot of good work in this recruitment)

Jaydon Chatman, OL, Harker Heights (Texas): OU or Texas

Trevor Goosby, OL, Melissa (Texas) – TCU commit but apparently has family ties to Texas

Vysen Lang, OL, Pike Road (Ala.) UOV: June 21-23: Gerry said that Arkansas leads

Derion Gullette, LB/EDGE, Marlin (Texas): A&M or Texas

Braylan Shelby, EDGE, Friendswood (Texas): USC or Texas

Billy Walton, EDGE, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff - Oklahoma State commit

S’Maje Burrell, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley – Texas commit

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan: A&M, Texas or OU

Derek Williams, S, New Iberia (La.) Westgate: Bama or Texas

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

For reference, here's the OV list this weekend  (taking out Heard and Purchase, who I believe 247 said wasn't visiting anymore)

June 24-26

Kyle Parker, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy: I know Penn State was/is involved. Wonder if we could turn up the heat with Pettaway looking uncertain and Greathouse extending his timeline

Connor Stroh, OL, Frisco (Texas) Wakeland: A&M or Texas (still not convinced A&M is pushing. Flood seems to have done a lot of good work in this recruitment)

Trevor Goosby, OL, Melissa (Texas) – TCU commit but apparently has family ties to Texas

Vysen Lang, OL, Pike Road (Ala.) UOV: June 21-23: Gerry said that Arkansas leads

i really hope we can get Shelby to commit to us after this weekend.. he is blowing up but the staff was on him first.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

i really hope we can get Shelby to commit to us after this weekend.. he is blowing up but the staff was on him first.

Seems like the hope is that close to home wins out at the end of the day. He was at USC last week and seemed to really enjoy it.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not feeling like I've missed much of anything since about February or March. 

That's pretty good.  I feel like I wouldn't have missed out on anything  in absence since I stumbled upon the scat site in 2010.

Edited by Bevo14

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

June 24-26

Thanks for putting this here. One quibble.

Greathouse moving out his timeline is good for Texas. If anything, they may try to push Parker's decision out to buy time on Hale/Greathouse/Pettaway. Based on what we know about the WR board currently, Parker and Wilson's offers to get committable when:

• 2 of Greathouse, Hale, and Pettaway commit elsewhere
  • Neither Jalen Brown or DeAndre Moore reciprocate interest post Arch commit

OR

• Cook FAFO
  • 1 of Greathouse, Hale, and Pettaway commit elsewhere

The Huddle: Official visit season heating up

Hudson Standish

("However when one door closes another one opens and I could see Mikal Harrison-Pilot sliding nicely into Greathouse’s projected scheme fit at Texas. As I mentioned yesterday if I had to make a pick now I would choose the Longhorns, but for the time being I’ll hold off.")

Spoiler

The Huddle: Official visit season heating up

Hudson Standish

— One of the more fun notes we’ve gotten recently is Texas potentially not being as far behind as we previously thought for Denton Ryan five-star linebacker Anthony Hill. As Mike said earlier, this weekend will definitely prove a lot in regards to Hill’s interest in Texas but I’m not as skeptical as I was a couple weeks ago.

Similar to my thoughts on DJ Hicks, I think the Horns would actually benefit from Hill’s decision extending into the fall.

— I caught up with a source on Killeen Harker Heights offensive lineman Jaydon Chatman heading into this weekend’s official visit for the priority target.

The source told me that they still feel like Texas leads heading into the weekend, which was enough for me to enter a prediction for Texas to land Chatman since I have felt for awhile that the Longhorns have lead this pursuit from the jump.

— Speaking of Texas picks I decided to ditch my crystal ball in favor of the Longhorns for West Orange-Stark 2023 ATH Jamaal Shaw. There is too much uncertainty around Texas’ pursuit of Shaw to remain with a pick even though if the Longhorns decided to push I believe he would end up in Austin.

— I mentioned yesterday that I wouldn’t be shocked if Jaden Greathouse ended up not making his Texas official visit and was significantly fading the Horns’ chances to land the local product and decided to add to the already four Notre Dame predictions with a pick of my own. Even if Greathouse decides to take his decision into the fall I don’t see Texas being a realistic option.

— However when one door closes another one opens and I could see Mikal Harrison-Pilot sliding nicely into Greathouse’s projected scheme fit at Texas. As I mentioned yesterday if I had to make a pick now I would choose the Longhorns, but for the time being I’ll hold off.

— I’m going to talk with massive Texas priority Braylan Shelby tonight ahead of his Texas official visit this upcoming weekend. USC hit a home run on their OV, so I’m curious to find out what the Horns can do to match or surpass the Trojans in what’s becoming one of the major recruiting battles of the 2023 cycle.

— Mike and I are going to head down to College Station on Thursday for the State 7v7 tournament where more than two dozen Texas targets will be competing with their high schools in one of the premier TXHSFB/Recruiting events of the year.

We’ll have a ton of content from the 7v7 weekend including a bonus episode of the State of Recruiting that y’all earned via getting the YouTube video to 500 likes. Just wanted to say thanks to everybody who helped us out on that challenge and left kind/encouraging comments and reviews along the way.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Gotta tell you, I've been swamped with life in general for months, and my time spent on the 995 board has been one of the major casualties, mostly because at the time when shit got crazy for me, this board was becoming wildly unbearable both from the program's dipshittery, as well as the murder of stumblefucks posting with increasing regularity. And here I stop back in thanks to a timely tag by Burt Macklin only to see Ray'sBoomBoomRoom sucking out all of the oxygen with his signature stupidity and terrible takes and well...I'm not feeling like I've missed much of anything since about February or March. 

I always thought it was a zeal or perhaps a covey of stumblefucks,  but I stand corrected.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The video's on the page below - not sure why the link isn't working - but net, re: Cedric Baxter, Fong thinks

- Texas is 1A, Aggies are 1B

- his gut tells him Texas leads at this point

- but Baxter has his Aggie OV coming up ... 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/video/wiltfong-whiparound-the-latest-on-rb-cedric-baxter-jr/

• Hook 'Em 4

Are stumblefucks like crows, or does SC type the word “murder” so often “number” autocorrects to it?

And someone referred to the Standish kid as the Yoda of 9:95ers. I saw a video of young Hudson yesterday, chatting with Roach. Yoda may look more like someone who writes/talks sports for a living.

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

The video's on the page below - not sure why the link isn't working - but net, re: Cedric Baxter, Fong thinks

- Texas is 1A, Aggies are 1B

- his gut tells him Texas leads at this point

- but Baxter has his Aggie OV coming up ... 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/video/wiltfong-whiparound-the-latest-on-rb-cedric-baxter-jr/

I had a lot of faith in you, blindly opening a clip called the Wiltfong Whiparound.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Greathouse's wide receiver ranking is a good example of just how bad the recruiting services are at evaluations, especially once you get outside the top 100. Yikes.

Got to land a bunch of top 100 players with good film and measurements and make good evaluations the rest of the way. The recruiting services are a big fucking joke. This is one reason Texas has struggled so much for over a decade. We don't land enough top ranked talent.

Mikal Harrison-Pilot is much better than several of the receivers ranked above him.

Give me Cook, Pettaway and Pilot from within the state. Texas kid who went to Oregon looks like he could be really good at some point too.

2 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Someone smarter can figure out how to embed the duragmedia insta video?   (A 247 dude posted it.)

On Malik Muhammad, and hyping up Nalin's assessment of Texas' chances w/ Malik.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfFXkRyNOt4/

Can't help you there. It's stock footage of the stadium/campus with the audio from one of the IT Youtube broadcasts in the background. Gerry and Justin Wells say Texas killed the visit and involved the family. "That's how you win this recruitment." They say Texas leads at the end.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

Can't help you there. It's stock footage of the stadium/campus with the audio from one of the IT Youtube broadcasts in the background. Gerry and Justin Wells say Texas killed the visit and involved the family. "That's how you win this recruitment." They say Texas leads at the end.

the first 10 seconds is stock footage - the rest is footage of Malik and his family on the official visit. I don’t know who ‘Durag Media’ is, but they followed Malik around and took video during his OV. 

11 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

It was Bobby and Justin, my bad. @Hiphopopotamos is right, there's more than stock footage. Looks like a potential commitment video.