Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

They have a minimum of one guy set up to portal at the EDGE role. I don’t think you guys will be pumped about him, but there’s a ton of potential. They continue to search for a proven difference maker as well. I wouldn’t conflate the portal with a late riser that they’d redshirt for this position. 

Dammit on the not pumped part. We need a difference maker at edge bad. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't follow recruiting closely but that's not the vibe I've picked up from recruiting updates here. To me it sounds like Hicks family has been brainwashed into thinking PK's scheme isn't a fit which is stupid if you've watched aggy and OU this year. 

Both those fanbases have been upset all year with the amount of 3 man fronts they've run. 

There's always a stud or two every cycle that is just dead set on not going to Texas no matter what is pitched to them; Hicks is that guy this class. I don't think normal recruiting logic applies in cases like those. 

2 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

This is Sark's 3rd season in his career as Head Coach to win 8 regular season games. He now has as many 8-win seasons as 7-win season in his head coaching career. So it never made sense to me for UT fans to call him 7-win Steve.

7.5 win Steve?  So round up 8 win Steve.

and after next year undefeated season moves up to 9 win Steve?

Hook’em Bijan and Roschon y’all done right.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

Totally went Deer Hunter (the movie)

Yeah, I wasn’t sure whether to tell him to make sure the gun is firmly under his chin if that’s a concern or respond  with the lyrics from that Jeff Bridges’ song from Crazy Heart - Funny how falling feels like flying for a little while…fucking Surly, man.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Are you saying Katy isn't Houston and is a small country town like Giddings? Hey, I'm from a small town too called Piney Point Village.

Dumb And Dumber GIF

Katy is not Houston. Its a paved-over rice paddy with shitty malls and lots of Applebees, Olive Gardens, and Dollar Generals.

Living in Katy (or Allen) is not the same as living in Houston or Dallas. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Dumb And Dumber GIF

Katy is not Houston. Its a paved-over rice paddy with shitty malls and lots of Applebees, Olive Gardens, and Dollar Generals.

Living in Katy (or Allen) is not the same as living in Houston or Dallas. 

Fuck you, there are only one of each of those there.  And its Dollar Tree, get it right, moran.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm still trying to understand why Hicks isn't giving us a legitimate look. 

OU and aggy both run a lot of 3 man fronts so the scheme argument makes no sense. Hicks would have a great opportunity for immediate playing time next year at Texas. Texas also showed much more defensive improvement than OU and aggy this year. 

Is it all about the money or is Hicks family brainwashed? 

Yeah, it’s weird. Almost like Bo Davis doesn’t really like the kid, and thinks he has a weak mental makeup, but he’d throw your mother in front of a bus for the kid from IL. Baffling. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, it’s weird. Almost like Bo Davis doesn’t really like the kid, and thinks he has a weak mental makeup, but he’d throw your mother in front of a bus for the kid from IL. Baffling. 

Gotcha, so I misheard the original telling. It's not "scheme fit," its "team fit."

4 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

UT coaching staff must really like the young EDGEs on the current roster if they're offering this senior season eval instead of saving a spot for an EDGE in the portal.

Can some post the info that IT out about Rylan Kennedy?:

https://www.on3.com/teams/texas-longhorns/news/texas-longhorns-post-game-recruiting-intel/

Also can someone post Hudson Standish's recruiting notes from Yesterday?: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-2023-2024-2025-Zina-Umeozulu-Johnny-Bowens-TyAnthony-Smith-198422325/

@Hookem2147

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

Gotcha, so I misheard the original telling. It's not "scheme fit," its "team fit."

“Scheme fit” is what’s Hicks’s dad says. 

“team fit” is the sound Bo Davis’s sneakers make when they squeak on the floor. 

“Entitled Pussy” I believe is the surly translation. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

On Kennedy:

If you’d never heard of Kennedy, welcome to the party. A quick glimpse at the 6-foot-4, 210-pound ED/EDGE prospect shows athleticism and quick twitch, traits the Texas staff said they saw when they offered Kennedy this evening. 

The Texas 6A regional qualifier in the high jump (6-6 PR) hasn’t really taken many colleges trips. He tells Inside Texas that Missouri Southern is only previous visit he’s had at this point. 

That could change soon. Kennedy holds offers from Texas, USC, Auburn, California, and Washington, and a visit to Austin could be in the near future

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

On Kennedy:

If you’d never heard of Kennedy, welcome to the party. A quick glimpse at the 6-foot-4, 210-pound ED/EDGE prospect shows athleticism and quick twitch, traits the Texas staff said they saw when they offered Kennedy this evening. 

The Texas 6A regional qualifier in the high jump (6-6 PR) hasn’t really taken many colleges trips. He tells Inside Texas that Missouri Southern is only previous visit he’s had at this point. 

That could change soon. Kennedy holds offers from Texas, USC, Auburn, California, and Washington, and a visit to Austin could be in the near future

Kinda reminded me of Derrick Brown on film. Speaking of whom, did he put on any weight? Gonna stay at off ball LB?

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

This stood out: It’s also noteworthy Jett Bush didn’t walk for senior day.

• Rage+1 4

40 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

I don’t see how running back would not want to play for us   Not only have we fed our super star, but the senior team player also was fed.

It’s a running back dream  

Well, it doesn't hurt to have our featured back driving a Lambo and pulling in $2M in NIL deals with 35,000+ twitter followers...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Henry Hill said:

An RB room of Brooks, K Rob, Blue, Baxter and Wisner is salty. Will never replace the combo of Bijan and Rojo but a girl can dream.

Bijan is not replaceable. The real hope is Texas does not need to replace him next year, because the OL will take the necessary steps forward. If that happens, Texas won’t need a RB that can dodge a defender in the backfield and still get 5 yards 

• Hook 'Em 9

21 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Bijan is not replaceable. The real hope is Texas does not need to replace him next year, because the OL will take the necessary steps forward. If that happens, Texas won’t need a RB that can dodge a defender in the backfield and still get 5 yards 

This right here exactly.  I love Bijan but he was like watching Barry Sanders behind a porous Lions O line.  I would rather have Emmitt Smith running through holes you could drive a truck through behind a dominant O line.  That is what I hope our offense turns into at some point in the next couple of years. 

• Hook 'Em 9

17 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

This right here exactly.  I love Bijan but he was like watching Barry Sanders behind a porous Lions O line.  I would rather have Emmitt Smith running through holes you could drive a truck through behind a dominant O line.  That is what I hope our offense turns into at some point in the next couple of years. 

And just think how much things will open up if teams actually have to respect a downfield passing attack 

• Hook 'Em 4