Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

12 hours ago, RabidM said:

I think Lefau is way underrated.  He looks like a Jaylan Ford starter kit with better athletic upside.  I never understood why his rating stayed static all year. 

It has to be the level of competition and how it affects his game.  Just so anyone who wants to follow along doesn't have to scroll back to my other post:  SR Highlights - Liona Lefau highlights - Hudl.

Lefau's not just an athlete playing linebacker, there are moments where he shows an ability to wrap up effectively in his highlights.  But there are a worrying amount of times where it looks like Lefau is relying on the force of his impact to knock the ball carrier over, rather than wrapping up.  Check out 00:48, 00:54, 2:03, 2:12, 2:18, 3:06, 3:32.  That works when you physically outmatch your opponent, but imagine him trying to do that to Roschon Johnson or Cedric Baxter.  That's a bad habit that the staff will need to coach out of him.

Contrast to Anthony Hill's senior tape.  2022 Highlights. Only 6 Games Played - Anthony Hill Jr. highlights - Hudl.   Let's start with the first clip, which is exactly the kind of hit I was just saying is a bad habit for college ball.  But even this hit shows the difference between Hill and Lefau.  Hill doesn't meet the ball carrier in a full sprint, he slows to a jog and doesn't over-run himself into a cut for the RB's highlight reel.  When it's too late for the RB to throw a move, Hill gathers himself and strikes with his shoulder, delivering a blow to the ball carrier that is absolutely devastating.  The power of that hit didn't come from Hill running in from 20 yards away with a full head of steam, he took a good angle and was in control the whole time.  Is it a fundamentally sound wrap-and-drive tackle?  No.  Is that 5 star physicality and violence?  You betcha.

And then watch the rest of Hill's defensive highlights.  Check out 1:26, it's not the flashiest highlight but man, that is every fundamental you could ask for of a linebacker.  He takes on the center, sheds the block, meets the ball carrier, wraps up, and drives through to the ground.  And nearly every highlight after is just him wrapping up and bringing guys to the ground.  That's fundamentally sound, extremely good linebacker play.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

Steel Shank is funny. Thujone is funny. Mdmost is funny. RGBIII is funny. There are many funny posters on here. 
Futureman's schtick is boring, tired, and a waste of space. To quote Mr Henry, "Sorry if this offends you, but he's a real cocksucker."

Futureman’s posts aren’t usually funny, but posters who know better getting worked up over it, often more so over time, actually does make me laugh.

Could just ignore (or put on ignore) and move on like most folks but for some reason choose to pour gas on the fire you claim to want to extinguish. Kind of funny as a neutral observer.
  • Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Futureman’s posts aren’t usually funny, but posters who know better getting worked up over it, often more so over time, actually does make me laugh.

Could just ignore (or put on ignore) and move on like most folks but for some reason choose to pour gas on the fire you claim to want to extinguish. Kind of funny as a neutral observer.

16 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

He's on my ignore list. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

People are free to consider funny whomever they please. I'm sure there are people here who don't care for the form of humor of many of the posters you've listed.

These days, I'm the type to gloss over most of the shit that lacks substance. No point in bothering about shit you don't control.

If you don’t have a good sense of humor…..we’ll…..Surly just might not be for you.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Professor Chesney said:

I see a lot of descriptions of our linebacker commits refer to them as “off-ball” linebackers.  

As a casual fan who does not want to venture to the football board and has been afraid to ask:  what does this mean and what is the difference with an “on-ball” linebacker? 

On balls is when the cup the balls

1 hour ago, Fumbles said:

It has to be the level of competition and how it affects his game.  Just so anyone who wants to follow along doesn't have to scroll back to my other post:  SR Highlights - Liona Lefau highlights - Hudl.

Lefau's not just an athlete playing linebacker, there are moments where he shows an ability to wrap up effectively in his highlights.  But there are a worrying amount of times where it looks like Lefau is relying on the force of his impact to knock the ball carrier over, rather than wrapping up.  Check out 00:48, 00:54, 2:03, 2:12, 2:18, 3:06, 3:32.  That works when you physically outmatch your opponent, but imagine him trying to do that to Roschon Johnson or Cedric Baxter.  That's a bad habit that the staff will need to coach out of him.

Contrast to Anthony Hill's senior tape.  2022 Highlights. Only 6 Games Played - Anthony Hill Jr. highlights - Hudl.   Let's start with the first clip, which is exactly the kind of hit I was just saying is a bad habit for college ball.  But even this hit shows the difference between Hill and Lefau.  Hill doesn't meet the ball carrier in a full sprint, he slows to a jog and doesn't over-run himself into a cut for the RB's highlight reel.  When it's too late for the RB to throw a move, Hill gathers himself and strikes with his shoulder, delivering a blow to the ball carrier that is absolutely devastating.  The power of that hit didn't come from Hill running in from 20 yards away with a full head of steam, he took a good angle and was in control the whole time.  Is it a fundamentally sound wrap-and-drive tackle?  No.  Is that 5 star physicality and violence?  You betcha.

And then watch the rest of Hill's defensive highlights.  Check out 1:26, it's not the flashiest highlight but man, that is every fundamental you could ask for of a linebacker.  He takes on the center, sheds the block, meets the ball carrier, wraps up, and drives through to the ground.  And nearly every highlight after is just him wrapping up and bringing guys to the ground.  That's fundamentally sound, extremely good linebacker play.

That pass deflection at 3:04... Holy shit

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/22/2022 at 4:47 PM, DanTheHorn said:

The only reason you are not losing sleep over Robinson is because we have never really had a chance. If we were in an actual competition for his services he would be a big miss.

I want to revisit this because it seems like people are super high on Duce and I just wasn't getting it based on the tape I could see.  Problem was, Duce has multiple profiles on HUDL and I couldn't find his complete senior season highlights on the profile I found.  Well, I found his senior tape this morning.  Senior Season Highlights - Duce Robinson highlights - Hudl.  Jesus.

I've been wary of super tall guys tabbed as "flex tight ends" since Dan Buckner was such a disappointment back in 2009.  For anyone catching passes, getting open is more important than being tall.  Being open gives the QB a clear sight picture and an easy throw, being tall means the QB has to go against his instincts to not throw against coverage and just hope the WR makes a play.  If you get open and are tall, congrats, you're about to make first round NFL money because that's a rare skillset.  Most high school "flex tight end" guys are just tall and abuse lesser players.  

I can see now that Duce is not one of those guys.  Check out the clip at 00:45. Duce is open by a solid yard and has to come back to make a (fantastic) contested catch.  If the QB lays the ball out in front of Duce, that's an easy TD instead of a highlight reel effort.  The highlight at 1:13 is what it looks like when Duce gets open and has a well-placed deep ball.  The clip at 2:18 really drives the point home.  A man that size should not be able to cross a defensive back's face on a post route and create separation.

Also, check out that casual one-handed grab at 3:48.  Kid's got hands.

I was wrong, Duce is a giant dude who can get open.  If he can do that against college competition, easy first round money.  I am officially losing sleep if we miss him.

Edited by Fumbles
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Amazes me that even how good this class is, and the size, we're a long ways away from Bama's ranking. 

The gap between 247 #1 Bama and #3 Texas is stark.

They have 27 non/PK signees. We have 23.

Recruits with <0.90 247 rating
Bama: 1 (of 27)
Texas: 9 (of 23)

Recruits in their state's Top 10
Bama: 24 (of 27)
Texas: 11 (of 23)

Avg Recruit score
#1 Bama 94.9
#3 Texas 92.5 (-2.4)
#17 FSU 90.1 (-2.4)

Insanity.

Also, the A&M 2022 class (BEST CLASS EVER!!) average recruit score? 94.9.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Avg Recruit score
#1 Bama 94.9
#3 Texas 92.5 (-2.4)
#17 FSU 90.1 (-2.4)

Insanity.

Saban has been doing that pretty much every year; Sark almost beat him this year.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Avg Recruit score
#1 Bama 94.9
#3 Texas 92.5 (-2.4)
#17 FSU 90.1 (-2.4)

Insanity.

Alabama has a heck of a class. 

What would also be interesting, to me anyway, is how their new guys stack up against the guys they already have on campus. And the same for Texas. How much have teams (potentially) upgraded, treaded water, or regressed relative to their current state of talent. 

On 12/23/2022 at 1:36 PM, Fumbles said:

Alright, we got offense out of the way, let's take stock of the defensive side of the 2023 class.

Defensive Linemen - Sydir Mitchell

Misses - David Hicks, Hunter Osborne, Markis Deal, Roderick Pierce, Dylan Spencer

Sydir Mitchell is a goddamn beast with a rare skillset.  Watch this senior tape:  3x State Champ. Senior Year - Sydir Mitchell highlights - Hudl.  When I see a kid listed at 6'5", 340 pounds playing in New Jersey, I expect to see him throwing opponents around like Godzilla swatting airplanes out of the sky.  And Sydir is most definitely physically outclassing everyone on the field, but look at how he's beating those kids.  He's not just bull-rushing straight through overmatched opponents, he's using his hands to beat attempted blocks and flashing a lot of acceleration once he's won initial contact.  Check out the spin move at 1:00, look at that swim at 1:32, look at the way he sheds the run block at 2:46.  The only question I have is does he have the conditioning to give us 30-40 snaps at that level per game?  If so, that's first round talent.

I do wish we had picked up one more interior guy, but we loaded up on big bodies in 2022 and we got the best guy on our board.  I think the staff prioritized scholarships elsewhere, namely....

Edge - Tausili Akana, Colton Vasek, Derion Gullette, Billy Walton

Misses - Braylan Shelby

Holy shit, you think the coaches noticed we have a pass-rush problem?

I love Tausili Akana.  His senior film dropped about two weeks ago:  senior season - Tausili Akana highlights - Hudl.  First step, closing speed, length and frame, it's all there.  Also, dude is just hype all the time, popping right up after he makes a play, flexing, shit-talking.  Check him out after the sack at 3:15.  Yeah, let him fucking know about it, Tausili.  I've heard criticism that he's 19 and therefore "physically maximized," which is absurd.  Jerrin Thompson and Jaylan Ford got run over by Kansas as 19 year-old sophomores, one year later they look like completely different players.  Everyone has their own developmental curve and we won't know Akana's until he gets on campus, but he's got all the tools to be an elite rusher.

Vasek isn't as quite as quick as Akana, but he's better at taking on blocks and he's relentless.  Colton Vasek 4-0 Highlights - Colton Vasek highlights - Hudl.  Check out the clip at 0:08, he spins off the tackle AND swims the running back in the same play.  That's a technically proficient, high-motor player.

Derion Gullette's classification as "Edge" makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.  Am I wrong in assuming that "edge" means at least sometimes playing on the line with an expectation of taking on blocks?  Is everyone else just better than me at projecting Gullette's skills to a different position in college?  Whatever, here's his junior film:  ️Junior Season Defensive Highlights️ - Derion Gullette highlights - Hudl.  I see a guy playing exclusively off-ball linebacker and doing it rather fucking well.  He's lining up outside in coverage, he's comfortable playing in space, he's clearly got fantastic sideline-to-sideline speed (and hopefully still does post-knee injury).  I don't see a whole lot of taking on blocks, pass-rushing moves, or setting the edge.  Wherever he ends up playing, I'm glad we have him.

I like Billy Walton.  Billy Walton Senior Highlights - Billy Walton highlights - Hudl.  He doesn't have any one elite characteristic, he's just above-average-to-good at everything.  He's the kind of player that Oklahoma State, TCU, and Baylor regularly turn into All-Big 12 selections.  If he's willing to develop and wait to earn his snaps, I think he can be a solid contributor as an upperclassman.  Could we have let Walton go to Oklahoma State or wherever and circled back in the portal in 3 years if he panned out?  Maybe, but Walton's good enough that I don't feel bad about this take.    

This is a fantastic edge class.  Missing on Shelby sucks because I think he's fantastic, but I like Akana even better and who could complain about this embarrassment of riches?  Speaking of riches...

Linebacker - Anthony Hill, S'Maje Burrell, Liona Lefau

Misses - Not a Damn One

PRAISE BE!  There is only one LB Coach, who's true name is Choate, and Jaylan Ford is His prophet.  I'm so happy that we have legitimately good, fundamentally sound linebacker play in Texas again.  We're not just bringing in world-class athletes and telling them to go chase the ball.  Malik, you deserved so much better.  Anyway, the croots!

Anthony Hill.  2022 Highlights. Only 6 Games Played - Anthony Hill Jr. highlights - Hudl.  No, one is not enough.  Take his junior highlights too.  2021 Highlights - Anthony Hill Jr. highlights - Hudl.  He's elite at all the basic things, he has great closing speed, great size, he generates turnovers at a Ford-esque rate.  He's wrapping up well, taking great angles to the ball carrier, moving decisively.  In his senior film, he's making a lot of those plays after getting off of a block, which is a huge skill to learn for an off-ball linebacker.  He's a day 1 starter beside Jaylan Ford.

I love S'Maje Burrell as a compliment to Anthony Hill, but also as a player in his own right.  Non District Highlights - S’Maje Burrell highlights - Hudl.  Look at that beautiful drop back into zone coverage at 00:35.  You think we could have used that on a few third downs this year?  Gimme.  

Liona Lefau's tape is even better than Burrell's (though in fairness, Burrell's longest montage is from a few games and this is Lefau's full senior season).  SR Highlights - Liona Lefau highlights - Hudl.  He's laying guys out, running in stride with receivers in coverage, taking on and shedding blocks, and he looks even bigger than his listed 215 to me.  Or maybe everyone else is just smaller.  It is Hawaii, not exactly a competitive area for high school football.  Still, that's a damn fine highlight reel.

Anthony Hill is arguably the best LB prospect we've ever recruited to Texas in my lifetime and, top to bottom, this is without question the best LB class I have ever seen come to Texas.

Secondary - Malik Muhammad, Derek Williams

Misses - Peyton Bowen, Javien Toviano

It's always hard to judge a cornerback by a highlight reel because, by the nature of the position, you doing your job means the quarterback looks somewhere else and the play never comes your way.  And who's gonna make a clip of that?  Still, there's a lot of positives to see in Malik Muhammad's junior tape:  Malik Muhammad Highlights - Malik Muhammad highlights - Hudl.  I think my favorite clip is at 1:31, that's a nice pop for a guy listed generously at 175.  He shows soft hands and obvious deep speed as a wide receiver.  In the few clips we have of his senior season so far, he's constantly playing tight man and running right with his guy:  Malik Muhammad Senior Highlights - Malik Muhammad highlights - Hudl.  I love how close he starts the play at 00:10, practically in the neutral zone.  He sure as shit isn't afraid of anyone running past him.  

Derek Williams is a classic alley-filling strong safety.  Derek Willaims Junior Year - Derek Williams highlights - Hudl.  The athleticism jumps right off the screen in his running back highlights, Williams certainly does not lack for short area acceleration or top end speed.  His safety clips show a player very comfortable moving forward and getting physical with the ball carrier.  I do worry that we don't see a whole lot of coverage in these highlights.  00:36 shows a nice press man moment (although if you're wearing burnt orange in the Big 12, that's a defensive holding flag) and there are a few other moments in there, but nothing showing his ability to track deep balls, run with his man, or transition from backpedal to sprint.  But he definitely has the speed, size, and ill temperament to be a terrifying enforcer in the middle of the field.

Including Peyton Bowen as a miss is admittedly a stretch, we were never really in it for him and there's the whole signing day drama.  But oh man, can that kid ball.  After Jalen Hale, missing out on Bowen is the biggest miss of this class. He's a deep safety with elite coverage skills and incredible speed for a guy his size.  We do not have that skillset on campus right now and we could really use it.  Javien Toviano isn't as good as Malik Muhammad, but he's got the size to play safety or corner and that positional versatility would have been a great addition to the class.  

Overall thoughts on the 2023 Defensive Class

Excellent defensive class top to bottom.  We aggressively addressed our roster needs with top tier talent and numbers.  And we didn't settle for the low-hanging fruit.  Previous staffs would have taken guys like Markis Deal, Dylan Spencer, and Jamel Johnson and wondered why we look like a bunch of JAGs on defense in 2025.  This staff identified Sydir Mitchell as a rising star in New Jersey and beat Georgia head-to-head for him.  This staff closed Anthony Hill.  This staff went into the Bayou and poached Derek Williams.  I love it.  I do wish we had added one more safety with established coverage skills, but hey, that's what the portal is for.  

Bro, Derrick Johnson is the best LB we've recruited in our lifetime, and it's not close. 

Regardless, this is a great breakdown and I appreciate you taking the time to write it. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, blacklab said:

This is not the thread, nor the website to discuss futureman. Please go to a different website if you'd like to talk about him.

Please keep this thread on topic, off topic/trolling/stupid shit will get you a Christmas vacation

“That’s the gift that keeps on giving the whole year . . . “

Very I interested to see how this new LB and Edge group gets developed and utilized.  The Lefau kid looks more like a safety to me . . . but we shall see.  

Just now, Fondren &amp; Main said:

Let me get this straight, you know who DJ is but are unfamiliar with the legend of Scott Derry!?  Just how old are you?

I know who Scott Derry is, but I didn't follow him because he's terrible. He was just a Mack Brown good kid who should have never, ever suited up for Texas. 

23 minutes ago, Horndog said:

image.thumb.png.1a697c3227e569f6b4f0309af3fc7040.png

I wasn't alive (obviously) when Nobis was around, so to me, it's DJ. But I do understand that Nobis has his number retired for a reason, and only special players get to wear it on occasion (except for one player that I can't remember. He didn't deserve it, but whatever). 

Edit; Just remembered it was Breckyn Hager that got to wear it. What in the actual fuck?

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 2