YESSS, FINALLY!!! - Masters of the Air - The 8th Air Force, Spielberg, Hanks, Goetzman (Crew behind Band of Brothers, Pacific)

atomheartbevo

32 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Saw the R/television thread about the show this opening

show sucks

CGI sucks

it's not BOB, so it automatically sucks

casting sucks

characters suck

Dan Levy Comedy GIF by Schitt's Creek

How long before it’s too woke makes it in?

I listened to "We Have Ways of Making You Talk", which is a podcast that does deep dives on WWII that I subscribe to. I listened to their interview with John Orloff, MotA's creator and author of two BoB episodes, about the making of the show.

Links to wherever you get your podcasts for those interested:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/masters-of-the-air/id1457552694?i=1000642849103

Google podcast

• Hook 'Em 2

The little I've read about the show says it starts pretty slow.  After the 1st episode I agree, but thought it was good.  My only complaint, and it might just be me, is that I am having a really hard time distinguishing between characters.  They all look about the same, and the constant headgear they wear makes it even harder.

11 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

The little I've read about the show says it starts pretty slow.  After the 1st episode I agree, but thought it was good.  My only complaint, and it might just be me, is that I am having a really hard time distinguishing between characters.  They all look about the same, and the constant headgear they wear makes it even harder.

As stated above, it'll get easier after they start getting killed by Nazi's.  So lucky you I guess.

18 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

My only complaint, and it might just be me, is that I am having a really hard time distinguishing between characters.  They all look about the same, and the constant headgear they wear makes it even harder.

Hahaha, that was exactly my thought too last night.  I kept being like "who are we looking at now?" when they would flip between different planes in the formation. 

Obligatory "all these white dudes look alike"

white-ben-affleck.gif

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Hahaha, that was exactly my thought too last night.  I kept being like "who are we looking at now?" when they would flip between different planes in the formation. 

Obligatory "all these white dudes look alike"

white-ben-affleck.gif

I watched both last night, and while it took more concentration in the first, by the second, they became much easier to keep straight. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

My wife watched the first one with me last night and said they must’ve cast every young white guy in Hollywood

Well, they need need guys who could believably play young white guys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

It’s impossible with their oxygen masks but if you put on subtitles they will occasionally put the character name in front of the words so you can distinguish who is saying what.  

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I like it, but it's very Austin Butler focused. If you like Butler, you'll like the show. 

I was expecting an ensemble cast like Band of Brothers or The Pacific. 

Well….it’s based on some true events and characters, and based on the previews and the book, you will soon see

Spoiler

B-17 crews in POW camps, where they cross paths with the Redtails - one of the pilots we’ve seen became good friends with one of them and wrote about it, as well as seeing the Holocaust up close and personal.

And the POW camp we see, or one of them, is the one that The Great Escape is based on, but it was Brits who escaped, not Americans.

Edited by atomheartbevo

I watched the 1st episode and thought it was really well done, as expected. The combat scenes were intense, and brutal.  

Narratively, it was a bit disjointed in that we start with Buck and Bucky as the heroes, but are then introduced to the perspective of navigator narrator, as if he's Smalls the protagonist in awe of Benny the pilot. But then that perspective is ditched as Buck hitches a ride with Saltburn's crew.  It made it a bit hazy in terms of perspective.  

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

My wife just came home and got mad at me for watching without her.

My wife walked in just as the pilot got his face shot off/blown open.  Not sure she will be watching more.

24 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Narratively, it was a bit disjointed in that we start with Buck and Bucky as the heroes, but are then introduced to the perspective of navigator narrator, as if he's Smalls the protagonist in awe of Benny the pilot. But then that perspective is ditched as Buck hitches a ride with Saltburn's crew.  It made it a bit hazy in terms of perspective.  

This is really where the lack of a training episode hurts.  We are told that all of these people are good friends, shown a few flashbacks or references, and there’s a voiceover explaining how the bombing campaigns worked, who we were fighting, etc. but I think it would have been better to show them in training.  Maybe not the individual training, but given that it starts in ‘43, they most likely had a few weeks or a month or two where the crews were assembled in the US.  Later on, they were just shipping in replacements left and right, but early on they would have had time to get to know one another and we could have seen most of them stateside.  Oh well.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Chico_SA said:

One of my favorite movies is Memphis Belle. First two episodes make me want to watch it tonight. 

Exactly what I thought of when they were struggling to get the landing gear down. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, F250 said:

I am only a few minutes into this but something feels off with the first scene. Maybe it's the "soap opera effect" but everyone looks very 2023.

I felt the same way. Everything looks too “new”. BoB had a grittiness to the cinematography that just isn’t there in this show. 

• Like 1

I’m liking it so far.  But the bombing missions seem to be monotonous compared to ground combat.  I’m wondering how they will keep it interesting.  And Bucky seems to be more of an asshole each minute.  And his best friend really is nicknamed Buck?  Also hard to believe the puking navigator has lasted this long.  He’s a disaster waiting to happen.  

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I mean, they literally told you why he’s called Buck (by Bucky) and it stuck with the group. 

Of course.  I heard that.  Literally.  Still wild that they have similar nicknames.  

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

And Bucky seems to be more of an asshole each minute.  And his best friend really is nicknamed Buck?

You know this is based on real people, right? 

713kehU6YML._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Does it seem odd that people don't smoke cigarettes in this series? Seems weird to make the WWII bombers non-smokers considering the stress of the job and the fact that everyone smoked cigarettes at the time.

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Does it seem odd that people don't smoke cigarettes in this series? 

A mission lasts a long time and you can’t smoke up there.  A habitual smoker would be in the need of a heck of a fix halfway through.  Might be more fun to go cold turkey.

That or this show done went woke.