Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

54 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

My bad, my bad.  I stand corrected. He seems fucking perfect for Texas.

You know my friend Bald Greg. He assured me that no matter what, we'd eff this thing up because that's what we do.  I wanted to think he was wrong, 'cause you know how he gets.

He was not wrong.  

Sucking sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean - haven’t they only really changed from Morris to Elliot?  
Venables has been there from the beginning, and although Scott/Elliot were named Co-Coordinators to replace Morris - Elliot was named play caller from the start. 

Yah, “when they change coordinators” seems to imply it’s a thing. Elliott’s been at the least co-coordinator for five years, and Venables has been DC for nine seasons now. Outside of great recruiting, one of the strongest things about Clemson has been coaching continuity.
Obviously having guys like Watson and Lawrence helps, but most coaches us dummies on here WON’T turn our noses up at are going to have had success while coaching some studs.
As I said earlier, with Urban being the only sure thing candidate, you’re gunna find issues with anything that’s left to choose from. With Tom Herman as our coach, we can’t be too gotdamn picky, and are gunna have to accept some warts/concerns.
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

csb

I met macovic once in 1996

i was a new freshman and went with my suite mate (practice squad bb player) to Belmont to look at everything. We go up the escalators to where the lecture rooms are and he was walking by us. My buddy said “hey coach!” To which macovic replied to a person at the end of the hall “who the fuck are these kids? Can somebody get them THE FUCK out of here?”

We left and as we walked back my buddy said “that’s pretty cool man, they say he NEVER cusses...”

I remember doing the same thing during freshman orientation in ‘94. I remember being surprised that you could practically walk right up to the coach’s office, or walk onto the field at DKR from the south end zone on non-game days.  Guessing that kind of access has long since evaporated (the field access definitely went bye bye long ago).  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Steelers Roll Left said:

I remember doing the same thing during freshman orientation in ‘94. I remember being surprised that you could practically walk right up to the coach’s office, or walk onto the field at DKR from the south end zone on non-game days.  Guessing that kind of access has long since evaporated (the field access definitely went bye bye long ago).  

I went to Gainesville for a friend's graduation a couple of years ago and was surprised that the stadium was just open and we could walk out onto the field.  I do not remember that being the case at Texas.

Just now, Steelers Roll Left said:

Its certainly a tragedy. There are some college girlfriends today who will never know uncomfortable astro-turf sex on the 50 yrd line

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Correction

Mullen is 2-4 vs Aggy in his head coaching career. 

0-1 against Ousux

He is 6-4 vs Pig so that's pretty impressive.

You’re determined to get him hired.  Stop it.

Edited by Horn80
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

csb

I met macovic once in 1996

i was a new freshman and went with my suite mate (practice squad bb player) to Belmont to look at everything. We go up the escalators to where the lecture rooms are and he was walking by us. My buddy said “hey coach!” To which macovic replied to a person at the end of the hall “who the fuck are these kids? Can somebody get them THE FUCK out of here?”

We left and as we walked back my buddy said “that’s pretty cool man, they say he NEVER cusses...”

My Mackovic csb also took place in Belmont but was more pleasant.

My senior year in the Fall of 1995 – the season after we won the last SWC title and fans thought maybe Mackovic had turned the program around – I got to Belmont early for a class, and was looking at the team photo. This guy comes up next to me, points at the picture and says, “I can’t even get Curtis to stay awake during practice.” Curtis Jackson’s eyes were closed in the photo. I look over and it’s Mackovic smiling at me. He pats me in the shoulder and walks away. From that experience he seemed like a nice guy.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

Correction

Mullen is 2-4 vs Aggy in his head coaching career. 

0-1 against Ousux

He is 6-4 vs Pig so that's pretty impressive.

He just lost to the most craptastic LSU team in a couple of decades.  Are people seriously thinking he'd be anything other than Herman2.0?  

Good Lord  all of this sucks so bad.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

He just lost to the most craptastic LSU team in a couple of decades.  Are people seriously thinking he'd be anything other than Herman2.0?  

Good Lord  all of this sucks so bad.

This is dumb AF but if Herman is strong 2.0 then wouldn't Herman 2.0 get us about where we want to be? 

Edited by B00M
I haz typing
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

My senior year in the Fall of 1995 – the season after we won the last SWC title and fans thought maybe Mackovic had turned the program around – I got to Belmont early for a class, and was looking at the team photo. This guy comes up next to me, points at the picture and says, “I can’t even get Curtis to stay awake during practice.” Curtis Jackson’s eyes were closed in the photo. I look over and it’s Mackovic smiling at me. He pats me in the shoulder and walks away. From that experience he seemed like a nice guy.

I should add that evey story Iv'e ever heard from another student about him has him being incredibly nice, even sweet.  Just lucky I guess

6 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I went to Gainesville for a friend's graduation a couple of years ago and was surprised that the stadium was just open and we could walk out onto the field.  I do not remember that being the case at Texas.

When I went to Texas in the early mid 90s the stadium was always open. My buddies and I played several pick up games there. I know that isn't the case anymore but that was cool AF. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hence a real HC search (if Plan B) where we interview 3-7 candidates. I’d lean closer to 5. But I digress. I am UM or bust. Plan A is still in play for me. 

Next Sunday—end of UM regular morning show appearances on Fox. Some NFL and college teams out of commission for the playoffs. 

I would like a real search for Plan B. I can only think of a few NFL guys that would fit the bill and who are currently employed. Most of the college names aren’t as splashworthy but this is why you interview them. 

UM or bust! 😃🤘🏼😃

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

He bought pizza for everyone waiting in line to get VT Sugar Bowl tickets.  He was also a pretty good evaluator of OL talent and he recruited Ricky.  Also the Nebraska game.  That is the complete list of nice things I have to say about Mackovic, and Herman’s list is shorter than that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

WTF.. define competitive

2009 - T-4th SEC west 5-7 (3-5 SEC)

2010 - 5th SEC West 9-4 (4-4)

2011 - 5th SEC West 7-6 (2-6)

2012 - 4th SEC West 8-5 (4-4)

2013 - T-5th SEC West 7-6 (3-5)

2014 - 2nd SEC West 10-3 (6-2)

2015 - T-5th SEC West 9-4 (4-4)

2016 - T-5th SEC West 6-7 (3-5)

2017 - T-4th SEC West 8-4 (4-4)

33-39 in SEC while at MSU

WTF.  he almost had MSU at .500 in the SEC/SEC West for 8 years.  MSU is the dregs of the SEC. only vanderbilt is historically worse for fucks sake.  they should be winning 2 games a year.  Competitive means he wasn't going 1-7, 2-6 year in and year out.    The only other time they were relevant was Jackie Sherrill was cheating his ass off, again.

I'm not saying he's Vince fucking Lombardi.  He's a pretty damn good head coach.  No he's not Urban, Dabo, Saban.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, conVINCEd said:

He bought pizza for everyone waiting in line to get VT Sugar Bowl tickets.  He was also a pretty good evaluator of OL talent and he recruited Ricky.  Also the Nebraska game.  That is the complete list of nice things I have to say about Mackovic, and Herman’s list is shorter than that.

I can confirm this story. That road trip was awesome even though we lost. We had like 8 guys in 1 2 double bed shit hole motel room.  Mackovic needed to go when he did but he did cause some damage when he was here and he could develop offensive talent. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

I should add that evey story Iv'e ever heard from another student about him has him being incredibly nice, even sweet.  Just lucky I guess

Yeah, I heard mostly good stories about fan interactions. For the most part, he was an aloof Midwesterner, so his personality was far from any other coach Texas had hired, and he just never fit in.

I recall his son posted occasionally on the old site. He was never overly-defensive about his dad.

Early 90s Longhorn can confirm.

+2

I lived in Moore-Hill my freshman year and we walked the 1/2 block over to the stadium to run the stairs, run the track, and play pick-up games on the field all the time.  As a native Austinite, I even went down there sometimes when I was in high school in the late 80s. It was wide open and nobody gave it a second thought that it should somehow be against the rules. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Yep, I was a recipient of said pizza. Somehow my buddies and I were lucky enough to get toward the front of the line for Sugar Bowl tickets that night.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

of course they do.  they are paying top money for what is obviously the 4th or 5th best coach in a 10 team conference.  that is horrible ROI.

And not even a competitive  10 team conference. One team owns it, and we can't even be 2nd best, with an occasional glory run.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I was at this game and to this day I still have nightmares where I wake up to the chant, “Go, Hokies, Go”.

Another not so CSB, but I was also in school in the early 90’s and a buddy of mine and I bought those shoes where the fronts were elevated so it would build up your calves so you could jump higher and dunk a basketball.  The shoes came with a set of crazy drills that look like that Monty Python skit of silly walks.  We used to go down to the stadium and do these drills on the track around the field and all of the players would be laughing at us the whole time.  Good times.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yeah, I heard mostly good stories about fan interactions. For the most part, he was an aloof Midwesterner, so his personality was far from any other coach Texas had hired, and he just never fit in.

I recall his son posted occasionally on the old site. He was never overly-defensive about his dad.

he was so obviously an NFL type guy.  he knew offense pretty well.  His NFL experience probably helped when recruiting OL.   completely lost on D.

32 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I would want to vet out how much Elliot is involved in recruiting during that process. So much of Clemson’s success is built around a ridiculous recruiting machine that it’s hard to say how much is Elliot for the success of their offense. 

Elliott has been known as a + recruiter ever since he stepped in as RB coach. It’s where he broke ground. 

33 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

The track record of promoting hot name coordinators to head coach seems like it’s been more miss than hit over the years and the list of once hot up-and-comers failing seems long.  Given the choice, I would prefer the hot name head coach looking to step up over the coordinator.  Of course nothing beats proven head coach, and I’m offering whatever it takes to get one.

Tom Herman agrees now fuck off. 

Just now, BurntEyes said:

You and I have extremely different definitions of competitive. Going 2-4 vs Aggy doesn't fit mine. Neither does finishing second to last in your division most years behind said Aggy. But hey, being better than Vandy certainly is a sign of success.

Its Mississippi State.  "have you seen that pile of shit out there?"  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

he was so obviously an NFL type guy.  he knew offense pretty well.  His NFL experience probably helped when recruiting OL.   completely lost on D.

Yep. When Dodds gave him a blank check to hire a defensive coordinator after Gary _arnell left and he promoted Bobby Jack Mother-Fucking Wright, that was the end for him.

27 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Stadium was open 24 hours a day when I was in school in the 70s.  For that matter, so was the state Capitol.  I remember going and running around the Capitol around midnight during freshman orientation.

Now, even a lot of the local high school stadiums are locked up.

12 minutes ago, South Austin said:

His son was a decent poster and the creator of one of the funniest fucking things I’ve ever followed on the Internet. 

In fact, there was a point in this thread in which someone had a buddy at the Horseshoe Bay airport tracking a plane from Columbus. He snapped a photo of the passenger and sent it in and the poster posted it. It was a fucking Property Brother. When I saw that, I laughed out loud because it reminded of when, somehow, Louie Anderson entered the fucking Ponzi Scheme Involving Gold thread. Outstanding shit in both threads. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

I can confirm this story. That road trip was awesome even though we lost. We had like 8 guys in 1 2 double bed shit hole motel room.  Mackovic needed to go when he did but he did cause some damage when he was here and he could develop offensive talent. 

I remember some Texas fan after the game in the quarter saying, "Man, they need to learn to act like they've won a bowl game before."

But it was still standing in Jackson Square at midnight NYE with 10,000 of your closest friends who you had never met before.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yep, I was a recipient of said pizza. Somehow my buddies and I were lucky enough to get toward the front of the line for Sugar Bowl tickets that night.

I heard tell of such pizza

I was at the Mack pizza giving of the '98 A&M game draw at Belmont

And is it worse than college station? No, it is not. Horrible, yes, College Station hell, no. 

So the level you have set for who you want as a head coach underperformed Kevin fucking Sumlin.

Maybe that works for you. It doesn't for me.

holy fuck can you not read.  I said he's not coming. yes it is worse than college station.  it is a hellhole. Do I want him as our head coach no, because I want the sure thing, but Herman is shit, Mullen is better and it is obvious.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, bullet said:

Stadium was open 24 hours a day when I was in school in the 70s.  For that matter, so was the state Capitol.  I remember going and running around the Capitol around midnight during freshman orientation.

Now, even a lot of the local high school stadiums are locked up.

Yep in 70s, stadium was open and stop by after classes to check out different seating views for game day.  Much simpler times then.

Edited by Horn80

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic