Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

12 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I am not one to advocate making a decision based on one game or event but holy shit man. Mullen got totally boat raced and went all Tom Herman excuse making after. That was a huge red flag. LSU was in the same position a few weeks ago in Gainesville and beat him while missing a ton of players. Between the halftime player fight with the bizarre Darth Vader press conference, losing to an undermanned LSU team because his players lack any sort of discipline and now last night? I’m not sure he isn’t just a slightly better version of Herman. 

I'm not sure he's even better than Herman at all. Herman could've taken that team and produced the same results against his SEC east schedules. He hasn't gotten slapped with a show cause either.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Bill Lumbergh said:

Yep. It's pretty obvious what happened here.

We were using Mullen as negotiating leverage for Meyer, so he pulled strings and arranged for Mullen to get a show cause and eliminate our leverage.

That's the most obvious explanation, and just further confirmation that it's happening.

Wait

You're saying Meyer "pulled strings" to sabotage Mullen?

9 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I am not one to advocate making a decision based on one game or event but holy shit man. Mullen got totally boat raced and went all Tom Herman excuse making after. That was a huge red flag. LSU was in the same position a few weeks ago in Gainesville and beat him while missing a ton of players. Between the halftime player fight with the bizarre Darth Vader press conference, losing to an undermanned LSU team because his players lack any sort of discipline and now last night? I’m not sure he isn’t just a slightly better version of Herman. 

Well, really the whole premise with Mullen is "look what he's done with Florida."  And it has been revealed that he really hasn't done that much at all.  Not enough with certainty (i.e. not a covid/SEC fluke), that he's any better prospect than some of the less-proven G5 types like Fickell.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yes, because Urban wants us, needs us, and will do anything to have us.  We will complete him.  I refuse to believe otherwise.

Me too

I have a hard time believing the BMDs will pony up $20MM + for the buyouts to get another G5 standout like Fickell.

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

Me too

I have a hard time believing the BMDs will pony up $20MM + for the buyouts to get another G5 standout like Fickell.

Ya. It is just so frustrating. Fickell, Rhule and Lincoln were all out there four years ago. We wouldn’t have gotten Lincoln as he was being groomed to take over at OU. But Herman’s was considered by media pundits and sports writers to be a can’t miss up and coming HC. And we panicked a bit because of his agent doing agent things with LSU rumors. But when you look at the success those three other coaches have had...ugggh. This is why I am Urban or Bust. If CDC was wanting to roll with Dykes or Franklin I mean damn. We need a can’t miss. We were lucky with Mack Brown. By lucky I mean overall success we had with him. But damn. Urban or Bust. Mullen hasn’t proven that he’d be much better. I like Kelly but prefer UM. Fickell will likely end up being amazing but we drew ourselves into a corner for the last decade and can’t afford to miss. And certainly can’t afford to pay that buyout if someone like Fickell doesn’t pan out. It’s frustrating. 

Urban! Please come to Austin! Urban or Bust! 

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Me too

What I try to tell you, In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the Meyer.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

From Bobby this morning:

The landslide wins over Colorado and Kansas State did nothing to change the opinions of the decision makers of board of regents chair Kevin Eltife, university president Jay Hartzell and athletic director Del Conte. That group of decision makers was also first reported and identified by Inside Texas.

A week ago, both Eric and I mentioned “patience” as a word that we had heard from high-ranking officials and influential donors.

That remains the case, and is perhaps more elucidated by the following text I received yesterday.

“The whales are still coaching,” a high-ranking official texted, referencing the coaches in the college football playoffs as well as possible NFL coaches.

• Hook 'Em 9

9 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

“The whales are still coaching,” a high-ranking official texted, referencing the coaches in the college football playoffs as well as possible NFL coaches.

So Mangino and Weiss

(I knew it all along!)

Edited by clapclapclap
Or Mack Brown?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Ya. It is just so frustrating. Fickell, Rhule and Lincoln were all out there four years ago. We wouldn’t have gotten Lincoln as he was being groomed to take over at OU. But Herman’s was considered by media pundits and sports writers to be a can’t miss up and coming HC. And we panicked a bit because of his agent doing agent things with LSU rumors. But when you look at the success those three other coaches have had...ugggh. This is why I am Urban or Bust. If CDC was wanting to roll with Dykes or Franklin I mean damn. We need a can’t miss. We were lucky with Mack Brown. By lucky I mean overall success we had with him. But damn. Urban or Bust. Mullen hasn’t proven that he’d be much better. I like Kelly but prefer UM. Fickell will likely end up being amazing but we drew ourselves into a corner for the last decade and can’t afford to miss. And certainly can’t afford to pay that buyout if someone like Fickell doesn’t pan out. It’s frustrating. 

Urban! Please come to Austin! Urban or Bust! 

Hell, I was laughing at Baylor for hiring that fast-talking Yankee from Temple. Thought it was a laughably bad fit at the time. Joke was definitely on me. 

I don't think we panicked with Herman at all. I was excited we out-bid LSU for his services when it happened, but it's not working out. Poor due diligence by our leadership? Who knows what they look at before making coaching hires.

I don't like Kelly at all. Looks like a grumpy old bastard, IMO. I'd rather get Campbell or Fickell, but we ain't gonna have to work that problem.

It's Urban...makes too much damn sense not to happen. This is the way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Rimbo said:

fuck ketch

fuck ketch

fuck ketch

Gerry has even more legit reasons to hate Ketch than the rest of us. As does that guy Ketch fired for getting brain cancer (with no health plan).

fuck ketch

It’s not like Gerry was fired from Obloods. He left of his own volition after thoroughly witnessing what a true piece of human shit Fat Ketchum is. 

That reminds me. @SydneyCarton has the GeoffKetchum twitter handle. We used to post all kinds of ridiculous shit from that handle during Saturdays and it was obviously parody. Ketchum attempted to fucking gank the handle through Twitter because “he was the real Geoff Ketchum.” as though he were some sort of actual celebrity. Hahahahahaha. We need to fire that thing back up. 

8 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

I read someone's comments on this board that Urban has said no thanks twice, supposedly after pushing himself for the job.  If there is a plan B list, and Mullen has obviously fallen off, then if Notre Dame loses by more than 28 points, then Kelly falls off the list, Urban's agent is possibly looking at an incredible payday.  Assuming his agent is the one floating the Urban to NFL rumors to increase the money, Urban is looking at setting some kind of record.  I always said Urb's contract needs to be total more than Jimbo's at 75$ million.  Now I am thinking more like $90 million.  Number of years, who cares, at least 7.   Enough years to win a NC or two, and train a successor.    

I’m so fucking tired of seeing this old fan trope reappear this bowl season regarding one bowl outcome impacting whether or not a coach would be a candidate to be hired at Texas. It’s fucking stupid. It’s almost as stupid as wanting to hire someone because of a bowl performance, like that time we hired a guy in part because he pummeled Florida while at Louisville, or that time we hired that other guy in part because he beat FSU while at UH. 

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Wrong, Kelly losing by more than 30 points is the whole reason he would be available. If he keeps it close against bama he won’t move

He’s not deciding to stay at Notre Dame because he barely lost to Alabama. That won’t be a factor. Also, I’m competing in a confidence pool where original bowl spreads were included and I need ND to lose by at least 20, thanks. 

• Hook 'Em 7

13 hours ago, TejasPedro said:

Who’s the hottest on TV today?

Here is my pick.

She can clean floors, I can only imagine the sandwich she can whip up when given the chance 

spacer.png

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life /
Never make a pretty woman your wife /
So for my personal point of view /
Get an ugly girl to marry you.

Jimmy Soul had it figured out.

11 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Hell, I was laughing at Baylor for hiring that fast-talking Yankee from Temple. Thought it was a laughably bad fit at the time. Joke was definitely on me. 

I don't think we panicked with Herman at all. I was excited we out-bid LSU for his services when it happened, but it's not working out. Poor due diligence by our leadership? Who knows what they look at before making coaching hires.

I don't like Kelly at all. Looks like a grumpy old bastard, IMO. I'd rather get Campbell or Fickell, but we ain't gonna have to work that problem.

It's Urban...makes too much damn sense not to happen. This is the way.

Really? I thought Rhule was a good hire. Honestly so was Mensa. Baylor got luckier than we did but it was still a risk worth taking. The fucktarded extension was the only real miscue.

• Hook 'Em 1

This doesn’t prove anything one way or another. Rumors abound. I truly believe UM is still in play. I really believe that. And we will get him. I have my doubts as to whether BK would leave ND. I just do. But that doesn’t mean I am 100% right. I just don’t see BK leaving ND. I think he wants to prove he can win a MNC there. JMO. 
I just like UM more. Do very much want. I like Kelly. I want UM. If that means at the end of the day, we wind up with BK I will be happy. But if we get  UM... I will be ecstatic. Beyond happy. I think UM is the best post fit for where we are right now. And I hope he proves me right by signing on. Or at least makes my Panhandle source right. 🤘🏼😃🏈

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I'll bet they never took the time to run that play in practice. If they had, Herman would have known it was a bad idea. 4th and ten? These kids need practice. Herman in a nutshell. Unprepared.

I would wager they did run it in practice, and it worked against our abysmal special teams so they thought it work against a well coached team because they lack self awareness.

1 minute ago, Bevo14 said:

Really? I thought Rhule was a good hire. Honestly so was Mensa. Baylor got luckier than we did but it was still a risk worth taking. The fucktarded extension was the only real miscue.

I didn't research Rhule's credentials before forming my opinion at the time. I still remember Grant Teaff, so it was a Texas good ol' boy mistake. Definitely a risk worth taking, in hindsight, not that BU had many appealing options at the time.

Agree about fuckface's extension. That's gonna cost the BMDs.

6 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Who's going to disagree with that? Dude would still be at Kansas based on results.

He got canned for being a prick to everyone at KU, right? It certainly wasn't a results-based decision. He won, but not big enough to overlook he's an insufferable asshat.

12 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Neg me all you want but Mangino is a hell of a coach

Definitely. But there isn't enough Burnt Orange material in Austin to manufacture his "coaching" outfit. What he did at Kansas was a damn miracle. I remember how much fun we made of his weight. It is really an embarrassing look.

CHIEF